Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

4 minutes ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Surely Saints fans more than anyone understand player value at this point?

No he isn't worth £40m. No we shouldn't sell him for less. Why? Because he has 4 years left on his deal and by all accounts doesn't seem like he's desperate to leave. 

Player value is value to your club at that specific point. We're going to generate enough money through alternate player sales, we don't need to start selling our good assets for reasonable prices because that's "what they're worth". Put our foot down for a fucking change.

Exactly - Alcaraz and Sulemana (and Onuachu) signed big contracts with us 5 months ago when we were bottom of the league. It can't be some massive surprise to them or their agents where we are now.

We should be in a decent position to either get an inflated fee, or to hold on to them.

Keeping Alcaraz and Sulemana would be a good result and right now not that unrealistic.

Plenty will be going of course.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 9

19 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

No but you would think they would know what date he actually gets to put his feet under the desk. It’s not really important but it just shows how he is talking to lots of (anonymous) monkeys but not many organ grinders. The Athletic’s coverage was good under Carl Anka but since then it’s just the Echo on steroids. 

What does feet under the desk mean? Selles told us weeks ago he’s had numerous conversations with Wilcox so he’s clearly started. Not sure Jacob will know when Wilcox, the media team and staff at Staplewood get around to aligning their diaries for the obligatory YouTube video though to confirm everything. 

Anka’s reputation massively benefitting from timing btw. First one to provide in depth coverage on a new and exciting platform at the time. The content was very minimally different to it is now but he had a much better way with making it sound better. 

Edited by Fabrice29

2 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t think we’ve been watching the same AMN. Being crap in every position you’re asked to play doesn’t make you versatile. We put out one of the poorest teams in Premier League history and AMN never really looked like displacing any of them. He just filled in here and there and looked mostly disappointing.

He's a Premier league relegation level player. He's off the wage bill and I don't want to see him back 😰

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t think we’ve been watching the same AMN. Being crap in every position you’re asked to play doesn’t make you versatile. We put out one of the poorest teams in Premier League history and AMN never really looked like displacing any of them. He just filled in here and there and looked mostly disappointing.

He wasn’t filling in, he was a pretty regular fixture and he looked no less disappointing than anyone else imo but anyway, the point I was making was it’s not really a shock to find that versatile, free, experienced and problem free player is wanted as a squad player by some teams.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

What does feet under the desk mean? Selles told us weeks ago he’s had numerous conversations with Wilcox so he’s clearly started. Not sure Jacob will know when Wilcox, the media team and staff at Staplewood get around to aligning their diaries for the obligatory YouTube video though to confirm everything. 

Anka’s reputation massively benefitting from timing btw. First one to provide in depth coverage on a new and exciting platform at the time. The content was very minimally different to it is now but he had a much better way with making it sound better. 

Weird point to keep hammering on the transfer thread - do you have some personal grudge against anka or something 😅. Personal oppinion ofc, but for me he was streets ahead of Sheldon (pretty shit) and tanswell (anka light)! 

4 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

Weird point to keep hammering on the transfer thread - do you have some personal grudge against anka or something 😅. Personal oppinion ofc, but for me he was streets ahead of Sheldon (pretty shit) and tanswell (anka light)! 

I have a problem with lots of Saints content available none of it personal though. 😂

Just find it funny and nauseating that even the slightest bit of content on Southampton that looks in depth can be played off as great content when in reality it’s not but because we get little attention we lap it up when we get some, however average it is. 

But you’re right, that’s another thread probably.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

I have a problem with lots of Saints content available none of it personal though. 😂

Just find it funny and nauseating that even the slightest bit of content on Southampton that looks in depth can be played off as great content when in reality it’s not but because we get little attention we lap it up when we get some, however average it is. 

But you’re right, that’s another thread probably.

What is there to say that's at all interesting about a well below average football team in a bit of a mess managerially and on the pitch.

13 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

With all this slagging off of journalists I am expecting all of your posts be better, more informed and contain some analysis with some real rumours, not the made up bullshit we normally get.

I’ll give you a still picture of KWP doing a shimmy and you’ll be happy.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

With all this slagging off of journalists I am expecting all of your posts be better, more informed and contain some analysis with some real rumours, not the made up bullshit we normally get.

Err, hang on.  All 'real rumours' are essentially made up bullshit right?!?  If they were not they'd be facts!  🤣

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, St Louis said:

Just ask a Burnley fan (I have), they hated their entire squad this time last year, and love most of them again now...

Quite a few new players formed the basis of the Burnley promotion side 

Cullen 43 (league starts)
Brownhill 41 - existing squad member
Muric 41
Roberts 39 - existing squad member
Maatsen 38
Tella 31
Harwood-Bellis 31
Beyer 29
Zaroury 27
Cork 26 - existing squad member
Gudmundsson 23 - existing squad member
Vitinho 23
Barnes 22 - existing squad member
Rodriguez 20 - existing squad member
Taylor 17  - existing squad member
Benson 14 
Ekdal 9
Bastian 7
Dakhill 7

Judging by The Athletic article it sounds like it will be hard to keep Alcaraz, who has offers from (at least) Benfica and another CL team.

Seems he may not push for a move at this stage but not overly sure he will be happy to play in the Championship if there is something firm which will give him a better stage, and expect plenty of voices will tell him the same.

Feels like if he did stay he could be a massive differential at Champ level.

Edited by Dusic

29 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Judging by The Athletic article it sounds like it will be hard to keep Alcaraz, who has offers from (at least) Benfica and another CL team.

Seems he may not push for a move at this stage but not overly sure he will be happy to play in the Championship if there is something firm which will give him a better stage, and expect plenty of voices will tell him the same.

Feels like if he did stay he could be a massive differential at Champ level.

Unless he has a release clause, how much do you feel he's worth? Given he's proved that he can assist and score at Premier League level, surely his value has doubled?

4 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Exactly - Alcaraz and Sulemana (and Onuachu) signed big contracts with us 5 months ago when we were bottom of the league. It can't be some massive surprise to them or their agents where we are now.

We should be in a decent position to either get an inflated fee, or to hold on to them.

Keeping Alcaraz and Sulemana would be a good result and right now not that unrealistic.

Agree with this 

Alcaraz especially Is also making noises about being happy and settled here so at the moment I’d be surprised if he leaves. 

I wouldn’t mind betting that he’s stays for a season and will move on if we don’t go up 1st time. Which makes really good sense for the club too, because it gives them another healthy asset to sell if this season goes wrong and they need more money. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The article doesn't mention fire sale or anything remotely like that.

Sample quote:

Southampton are likely to be one of the highest spenders in the Championship — if not the highest.

Not sure what coming onto this forum and just lying is getting you.

Remind us about your £400m bullshit again...

I was simply quoting the original poster. Hypochondriac “So if the Athletic article is to be believed, we may have a larger firesale than most were expecting. If it comes to pass, it may be that the only player we'd like to keep who will stay is Alcaraz”

Edited by manji
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, manji said:

I was simply quoting the original poster. Hypochondriac “So if the Athletic article is to be believed, we may have a larger firesale than most were expecting. If it comes to pass, it may be that the only player we'd like to keep who will stay is Alcaraz”

Probably worth not turning into a grand speech about how The Atlantic has gone downhill then.

3 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Probably worth not turning into a grand speech about how The Atlantic has gone downhill then.

Why not anyway it’s just a post. I’m not hiring The Guildhall to repeat it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Fabrice29 said:

Disagree re Anka. He wrote quite a few unusual historical articles. Considering his term here coincided with a Covid I thought he did a good job. He went out of his way to embed with the fans too. Still each to his own.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Surely Saints fans more than anyone understand player value at this point?

No he isn't worth £40m. No we shouldn't sell him for less. Why? Because he has 4 years left on his deal and by all accounts doesn't seem like he's desperate to leave. 

Player value is value to your club at that specific point. We're going to generate enough money through alternate player sales, we don't need to start selling our good assets for reasonable prices because that's "what they're worth".

The easiest opportunity financially to get out of the Championship is the first year back. We have a real opportunity with some good players on good deals who can help us get there. Put our foot down for a fucking change.

That's a fans perception. In reality, a players value is not the value to the club, it's the price someone is willing to pay. Ultimately, if a player wants to go, he will - bar one or two exceptions, want away players being held to their contracts rarely perform well. 

Sure, I'd like the kid to stay and if he goes though, I'd want top dollar. However, if he wants out, we ain't gonna get anything like the fans would want us to get. 

2 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Disagree re Anka. He wrote quite a few unusual historical articles. Considering his term here coincided with a Covid I thought he did a good job. He went out of his way to embed with the fans too. Still each to his own.  

how?

I've posted something like this before but the sensible thing for the club to do with Tella is put him out on loan again to Burnley for another season and then if we get promoted at the first time of asking, recall him for the 24/25 season. What's not to like? If he flops in the PL than sell him next summer.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

23 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I've posted something like this before but the sensible thing for the club to do with Tella is put him out on loan again to Burnley for another season and then if we get promoted at the first time of asking, recall him for the 24/25 season. What's not to like? If he flops in the PL than sell him next summer.

Because he’s got two years left on his contract so it’s sell now or get very little in a years time. Post Bosman not so easy for clubs….

24 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

His value will never be higher for us short of a miraculous prem season there which feels unlikely. He’ll also be into the last year of his contract further reducing his value. We either need to decide he won’t make it here/ he wants to leave or tell him he’s here for the next season.

• Like 3

43 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

For fucking peanuts - now we have leverage on his contract length, his stock is sky high, if we want to sell him it has to be now for money we want, if we want to keep him then he is on a very low wage already so hardly a factor so we then keep him and extend his contract based on performances this season.

If we get rid of Sulemana and Tella then Borges has to be coming in.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, manji said:

Why not anyway it’s just a post. I’m not hiring The Guildhall to repeat it.

To be honest i still like it and its still cheap the only downside is everytime i check twitter i see people rehashing their stories allllllll day its soooo lame.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, egg said:

Sure, I'd like the kid to stay and if he goes though, I'd want top dollar. However, if he wants out, we ain't gonna get anything like the fans would want us to get. 

I’d say one of the biggest “no brainers” is to bring Tella back. He’s torched most of the defences we’ll be playing against, and scored regularly. We had absolutely no torching or scoring last season.

This is a young player trying to build a reputation and a career, so there’s zero chance that he’s going to sulk and go through the motions. Sure, it’ll take a little early man-management, but he’s far less risky than someone that we “think” will work out.

• Like 7

Tella  seems an easy one. Either Burnley stump up 20M or we keep him. I’m fairly relaxed either way, I’m not sure he’ll make it in the premier league but looks like he can in the championship so he’ll be an asset to us. He doesn’t look the type to be difficult either. 
Similar with Sulemana, if someone offers us our money back then I’d probably take it but I don’t think many clubs will. I’m also happy to keep him, could be a great player in the championship.

Out of all of them, I would love to keep hold of Alcaraz. The lad can be something special for us.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

Tella  seems an easy one. Either Burnley stump up 20M or we keep him. I’m fairly relaxed either way, I’m not sure he’ll make it in the premier league but looks like he can in the championship so he’ll be an asset to us. He doesn’t look the type to be difficult either. 
Similar with Sulemana, if someone offers us our money back then I’d probably take it but I don’t think many clubs will. I’m also happy to keep him, could be a great player in the championship.

Out of all of them, I would love to keep hold of Alcaraz. The lad can be something special for us.

I agree. Either we get 20 million which will give us funds for a similar type of player, or we keep him and watch him tear up the league. Alcaraz, Tella, Piroe and someone like Stuart Armstrong as backup seems like an excellent lineup for the championship. I hope it works out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

I agree. Either we get 20 million which will give us funds for a similar type of player, or we keep him and watch him tear up the league. Alcaraz, Tella, Piroe and someone like Stuart Armstrong as backup seems like an excellent lineup for the championship. I hope it works out. 

I get that Hypo, and I completely agree about Alcaraz. Not only was he talented and committed in every appearance - he was pretty much the only one who seemed genuinely hurt and frustrated when we lost; one who gave a shit amidst an ocean of ho-hummery.

But I’m not convinced that keeping Tella or getting twenty million for him amount to the same thing. We’ve yet to prove that our recruitment is capable of making that a sure thing. Far from it, based on our recent history - especially when it comes to goalscorers.

With Alcaraz, Tella, Tino and a few others, we’re creating the nucleus of a really talented young side - players who can mature together. And we haven’t yet risked a penny of the transfer budget.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

But if he flops so will his value ??

8 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

Glass half empty type chap then Saints cummer?

Far from it. Just don’t see the logic in Putting him out on loan again. He either plays for us after his loan spell or we sell whilst his stock is high. It’s a win win situation.

if he doesn’t play for us for another season and he doesn’t do well then how have we gained ??

Edited by Saintscummer
  • Like 3

14 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

The article doesn’t say “firesale” at all.

Just says significant overhaul, which when you have a squad of 30 (mostly) average players it’s a necessity. 

The biggest shock for me in the article is that AMN has prem interest.. fck me his agent must be good.

Oh if AMN gets another prem gig his agent is way better than good, he walks on water. Am I correct in thinking that the last two UK loans teams AMN went too (WBA and Saints) both got relegated? Will there be a line of teams trying to get the 'third times a charm' award, I doubt it. Best case for AMN is ARS release him and he gets picked up by a European team on the cheap. If Saints decide they want him back then there is no hope.

Edited by HnycS
Grammar
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

I will drive him there myself, going to see Bruce at Villa Park next Friday so it's on my way. 

£30m and play Stephens, no brainer.

Save yourself the drive, keeping ABK and selling Stephens is the no brainer here surely? Young growing in value versus old and declining in value. Plus helps sabotage your nearest rivals chances of staying in the Prem, win, win, win.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, HnycS said:

Save yourself the drive, keeping ABK and selling Stephens is the no brainer here surely? Young growing in value versus old and declining in value. Plus helps sabotage your nearest rivals chances of staying in the Prem, win, win, win.

Are Bournemouth actually interested in signing, never mind buying Stephens?

I wonder if Plymouth might be a more likely destination for Stephens - closer to his family ‘roots’ and they’ll need to strengthen for the championship.

They can’t afford his current wages but he’s only got one year left and a 4/5 year contract might be appealing for him? Wherever he goes (if he does) I’d be surprised if we got any sort of fee.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, sandwichsaint said:

I will drive him there myself, going to see Bruce at Villa Park next Friday so it's on my way. 

£30m and play Stephens, no brainer.

I wouldn't take that risk on, he's likely to injure himself getting in or out, stab himself with the seat belt or find some other means to hurt himself, roll around on the floor in apparent agony and go MIA for a few weeks. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

15 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I would do the opposite. Ask (or tell, depends on your perspective) Tella we want him to stay one more season. That he has proven to be worthy of a regular place in the side. This next season we either get promoted or not. If we get promoted, let Tella decide if he stays with us, or moves on. We thank him for helping us win promotion. If we fail to win promotion, we accept he is likely to go. It could even be that next season, Saints win promotion and Burnley get relegated. So, in summary, we say 'give us next season, Nathan, then you can make the decision yourself'.

22 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Good points CB.    Alcaraz  and Sulemana are still quite young and hadn't played anywhere near Prem. level before, but still looked good.

IF.....they were to move to a top end side now, they would be spending a lot of time on the bench, whereas ......

IF.....they are as good as we think, they will excel at Championship level and their value would increase enormously in one /two years

and we'd still have them on long contracts, and their potential  " sell valuation "  plus  a sell-on clause  would be huge.

Those clubs looking to buy them "cheap" should know that even after our " summer sales"  we won't be short of finances 

and  won't be forced to " panic sell " anyone.     Relegation may still be a bitter pill for many, but it's a great chance to build

a good squad, and get back up to the Prem.  in 1-2 years ?... and still have a "young side" that will continue to improve. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 3

Comments about Nathan Tella cropping up again

Admittedly, he is still under contract to us until  2025?,  but given his great loan-season with Burnley it would seem logical that Saints 

might want to keep him, BUT as he was the mainstay / top scorer in the Burnley attack ..they will surely want to sign him permanently.

BUT...  every player has a price and although Burnley are not recognised as  big spenders, we might demand a starting price... around 20 million.?

and they must know that - once back up in the Prem. - they will need to spend big and do everything possible to stay there.

We have had bitter experience of " top-scoring Championship strikers"  who didn't make it in the Prem.   e.g.  (Che Adams and Adam Armstrong)

and there is no guarantee that Tella would replicate that form again up in the Prem,  BUT with a view to OUR new manager's purchases,

Tella might not be on OUR starting team sheet all the time,  and he was only an occasional starter when Ralph was his manager a year ago.

Tella has obviously found friends and fans at Burnley,  and might want to stay there,  as a  Prem. contract with them would be greater than 

the " U21-type" contract that he currently has with Saints ... (yes,  I know he's 22 now )... but he's hardly on BIG  money at present.

Burnley will surely take a chance and make a big offer - if Saints are willing to let him go.      For our part.. it's stick or twist ?.

I don't see his value increasingly greater than it might (possibly) be at present,  if so ..  make sure we get a sell-on clause in the deal.

My vote is : Let him go -  if he wants to.... Get a good fee ... Take their money and run.