Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, Chez said:

That is the concern. He ain't great, but if your life relied on Mara, Armstrong, Onuachu and Che to score 20 goals/get us promoted next season, Che would have to be the guy and the other three would have you workin through the bucket list pretty damn quickly.

Whether we could sell for say £15m and reinvest in a striker that might deliver similar, Piroe perhaps, I am not sure. However, you'd think that is what is going to be required, as he will want to stay in the Prem (they all do). Not a huge number of options though. Perhaps Burnley, Sheffield United and Luton? Everton were interested last summer, but are they still keen?

Not sure I agree on this, for me people like che above the others because he does get into games more. In other words he puts himself about has  the hold up play aspect to his game and doesn’t just go missing..

but In terms of being clinical he is absolutely ass I’d definitely expect mara to be more clinical if your creating many chances for him.

now we have dropped down a league and might create more chances for our strikers it might be better to have someone who can finish those chances rather then just to put a shift in and be involved 

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Not sure I agree on this, for me people like che above the others because he does get into games more. In other words he puts himself about has  the hold up play aspect to his game and doesn’t just go missing..

but In terms of being clinical he is absolutely ass I’d definitely expect mara to be more clinical if your creating many chances for him.

now we have dropped down a league and might create more chances for our strikers it might be better to have someone who can finish those chances rather then just to put a shift in and be involved 

I was careful to say `score goals and get us promoted' in relation to Che, because as you say, it's his decent hold up play that makes him stand out compared to our other forwards - and we will need that to be an effective team, in addition to some goals of course. 

I'm a Mara fan and do wonder, whether given 46 games in the Championship, he'd score plenty of goals, lead the line and help us put a promotion challenge together. He has got talent, but could he become a real quality Championship striker? The biggest issue is that I am not sure he leads the line well enough. He needs some proper guidance and coaching in that department. He needs to stop trying to nutmeg people on the half way line and save that for when he's in the opposing box.

• Like 2

Yeah I would like Mara as well based on the flashes he has shown and i think possession football will also suit his skillset better.

In a perfect world we would keep che as the support striker get an experienced goal scoring forward and play them together and have Mara as back up striker to learn from the experienced dude and deputise etc.

Burnely are trying to go shopping in Harrods this summer with a Aldi budget judging on how tight they are being with money.

Having said that Luton have no real links to them at the moment so god knows what they are.

Edited by Convict Colony

50 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was careful to say `score goals and get us promoted' in relation to Che, because as you say, it's his decent hold up play that makes him stand out compared to our other forwards - and we will need that to be an effective team, in addition to some goals of course. 

I'm a Mara fan and do wonder, whether given 46 games in the Championship, he'd score plenty of goals, lead the line and help us put a promotion challenge together. He has got talent, but could he become a real quality Championship striker? The biggest issue is that I am not sure he leads the line well enough. He needs some proper guidance and coaching in that department. He needs to stop trying to nutmeg people on the half way line and save that for when he's in the opposing box.

Yeah I think with adams we know what we are getting ., call me old fashioned but I think I’d prefer a clinical centre forward even if he goes missing when not scoring . Then one who puts a shift in and gets involved but can’t finish .. Shane long had good  aspects to his game also 

with onuachu and Mara we don’t really quite know what we have on our hands as much as with che.. onuachu obviously isn’t a fast pressing machine or anything but we haven’t really given him the service to test his finishing abilities .. in the championship we will hopefully be creating a a lot more chances for our strikers so mara or him could actually feast if given a decent amount of service 

He scored 22 in the Championship the season before coming to us, but there were a lot of terrible finishes in there (as several people said at the time). He just can't strike a ball properly except through his laces - it's a huge weakness and he's far too old now to fix it. It's irrational, since I'm sure he'd probably get at least 15 goals over the longer champ season, but I just don't want another season of watching Che's terrible finishing. It's been one of the most depressing things about watching us over the past few seasons.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

If Burnley are pitching for Che, can we take that as an indication they have accepted defeat over Tella?

they need a replacement for Ashley Barnes. Che would fit that bill. Don't think it has any bearing on Tella.

1 hour ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

Yeah I think with adams we know what we are getting ., call me old fashioned but I think I’d prefer a clinical centre forward even if he goes missing when not scoring . Then one who puts a shift in and gets involved but can’t finish .. Shane long had good  aspects to his game also 

with onuachu and Mara we don’t really quite know what we have on our hands as much as with che.. onuachu obviously isn’t a fast pressing machine or anything but we haven’t really given him the service to test his finishing abilities .. in the championship we will hopefully be creating a a lot more chances for our strikers so mara or him could actually feast if given a decent amount of service 

Quite a few people are suggesting we will be creating a lot more chances in the championship. Watching the two semi-final play offs, one was exciting and interesting, the other was turgid possession-play crap. I haven't done a full analysis but there isn't an abundance of goals in the championship compared to the premier league (maybe the finishing is worse), so without a change in attitude and personnel, there's a real danger of us "groundhog daying" playing tippy-tappy football in the championship and creating few chances.

7 hours ago, Saint86 said:

You don't think his "miss reel" is a horror show?
 Star Trek Wow GIF

At least he gets in the positions to miss - the others are nowhere near it and haven't got a miss reel as they don't bother getting in the right positions - top goal scoring CF we have and got more than the others put together so not bad in my eyes (his overall contribution and workmate is also better than the others. Not sure what there is not to like..........

• Like 2

3 hours ago, verlaine1979 said:

He scored 22 in the Championship the season before coming to us, but there were a lot of terrible finishes in there (as several people said at the time). He just can't strike a ball properly except through his laces - it's a huge weakness and he's far too old now to fix it. It's irrational, since I'm sure he'd probably get at least 15 goals over the longer champ season, but I just don't want another season of watching Che's terrible finishing. It's been one of the most depressing things about watching us over the past few seasons.

I think it’s partly mental and awareness problems with che though ., maybe a bit slow in the head

when he’s in good positions he tends to get confused panic and everything goes to total shit ..

instinctive finishers like ings or lambert kinda know what they are going to do early and are aware and don’t panic .. che on the other hand looks surprised he’s got a chance and his body language is like wtf do I now ? 

• Confused 1

8 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

I think it’s partly mental and awareness problems with che though ., maybe a bit slow in the head

when he’s in good positions he tends to get confused panic and everything goes to total shit ..

instinctive finishers like ings or lambert kinda know what they are going to do early and are aware and don’t panic .. che on the other hand looks surprised he’s got a chance and his body language is like wtf do I now ? 

I knew you were a bit if a nob but jesus

• Like 1

On 12/06/2023 at 13:18, DT said:

Burnley want Che. Will drive him up there etc etc

Guess they haven't seen his horror miss showreel

If Che is happy to give us a season in the Championship we should be doing everything we can to keep him.  He is a proven goal scorer at this level which is exactly what everyone is saying we need and we know how much they cost!

• Like 4

Just now, a1ex2001 said:

If Che is happy to give us a season in the Championship we should be doing everything we can to keep him.  He is a proven goal scorer at this level which is exactly what everyone is saying we need and we know how much they cost!

According to the Swansea fan we had on here it would cost about £12m for 20 goal a season Piroe. About the same money we might get for Che.

14 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

Agreed. He’s much maligned which I never really understand - always gives 💯. Finishing isn’t always great but he is a great foil for another striker (as we saw with Ings) and holds the ball up brilliantly. If the right offer comes in he’ll go, but I’d love to keep him. Much rather have him stay than Adam Armstrong* but would’ve happy for both to stay and think they’d kill it in this league (as they have before). 

*I don’t think Arma is good enough for the PL, whereas Che is, but more than good enough for this league as he has proved before. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, a1ex2001 said:

No we shouldn't, unless he's willing to sign an extension.

19 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

No we shouldn't, unless he's willing to sign an extension.

I guess it's weighing up the value of promotion against what we'd get for him (then lose on a free). 

We'd probably only get back what we paid for him 10-15m and promotion would benefit us a lot more than that. 

I'm not his biggest fan, but think Che would do really well in the championship. Personally, i'd rather we kept him than go for someone unknown for similar sort of money. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dman said:

I guess it's weighing up the value of promotion against what we'd get for him (then lose on a free). 

We'd probably only get back what we paid for him 10-15m and promotion would benefit us a lot more than that. 

I'm not his biggest fan, but think Che would do really well in the championship. Personally, i'd rather we kept him than go for someone unknown for similar sort of money. 

One things for sure, I’d rather keep Che than Tall Paul and that’s from a Che doubter.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, whiteleySaint30 said:

At least he gets in the positions to miss - the others are nowhere near it and haven't got a miss reel as they don't bother getting in the right positions - top goal scoring CF we have and got more than the others put together so not bad in my eyes (his overall contribution and workmate is also better than the others. Not sure what there is not to like..........

Now you're arguing a different point though. His finishing reel for recent seasons is a horror show. 

I like Che, but he can't shoot for shit - well not if he has time to think about it anyway 😂🤣😅

Edited by Saint86

Never felt that Tella would stay, it's an easy signing for Burnley to make and why on earth would Tella come back after such a phenomenal season in the Championship just to try and do it again with a team full of strangers and new manager he doesn't know?

We're going to get far more money than we would have done if we'd flogged him a year ago. It's not the worst outcome.

4 hours ago, a1ex2001 said:

I know there are arguments about the merits of promotion vs player sake value, but I think we should be giving him an extension, and we probably should keep him any longer without signing one. 

8 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I read it as burnley have called wilcox and asked about tella, we said the price and now they are hoping we lower it so are leaking it in the hope of influencing tella, appease their supporters.

That’s how I see it. Saints hold all the cards on this one and don’t need to negotiate downwards. We’ll struggle to buy the experience and goals this lad will offer at the price, which is a concern in itself because there’s going to be some knob who thinks they can pick up a player of equal ability for £15m (again).

• Like 2

Re Tella I guess every player is up for sale at the right price. That is the cold reality relegation. I doubt any of our players will resist the opportunity of playing in the Premier league. Like all of us they are free to work where ever they like, as long as their contract is paid up. If any of us where offered double our wages to ply our trade at our top company, few would turn it down. There also remains a big question mark as to whether Tella can reproduce that form next year, when faced with more agile and skilled defenders.

However if Saints can demonstrate ambition and a high probability of winning the Championship and surviving in the Premier league, then some may feel it is worth their while staying. Alcaraz seems to have made that decision, I suspect JWP is get awake at night with those thoughts. We'll just have to wait and see.

Anyway considering that lot got us relegated a few moving on is hardly a bad thing.

44 minutes ago, Saint86 said:

I know there are arguments about the merits of promotion vs player sake value, but I think we should be giving him an extension, and we probably should keep him any longer without signing one. 

We failed to agree a new contract while we were in the Prem, I suspect because he wanted too much money. I can't imagine we are in a position to offer him more now, so there's no chance of him signing a new contract this summer.

1 hour ago, Saint86 said:

Now you're arguing a different point though. His finishing reel for recent seasons is a horror show. 

I like Che, but he can't shoot for shit - well not if he has time to think about it anyway 😂🤣😅

I think we should go all out to keep him unless he becomes disruptive. He’ll suit a passing style and I think will score plenty. He can hit the ball well, gets into positions well, and is good at holding the ball up and linking play. Now the caveats - he can only hit the ball well with his right foot, he can’t / won’t use his left, I’ve lost count of the amount of chances gone in the Prem when he tries to run around the ball rather than use his left. He does hit the ball well with his right, but can’t really place it with any accuracy, it’s on target but if a defender or gk are in the way that’s that. He’s also not great in the air.

Thing is, in the championship he’ll get more time to run round the ball, and the gks and def are less good at positioning themselves. So hitting it hard with one foot will yield many more goals.

in the greater scheme of things, losing c £15m but getting a goalscorer for a season who will fit the system and knows the club / team mates is something we should be happy with.

Plus our last efforts signing players upfront were Armstrong, Mara and Tall Paul….so odds of a better replacement are not in our favour.

41 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

That’s how I see it. Saints hold all the cards on this one and don’t need to negotiate downwards. 

Perhaps we should be considering him as this summer's Gibbs White (£25m up front and a shed load of add ons), with huge potential and a price tag to match?

Burnley may not have been big spenders in the past, and fair play to them for doing that, but they earn the same money as every other Prem side, so if they want him they need to break their transfer record to get him. Obviously they will have a limit and they go can elsewhere, but you are absolutely right, we hold the cards and let them (Burnley) come to us to try and prize him away. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chez said:

Perhaps we should be considering him as this summer's Gibbs White (£25m up front and a shed load of add ons), with huge potential and a price tag to match?

Burnley may not have been big spenders in the past, and fair play to them for doing that, but they earn the same money as every other Prem side, so if they want him they need to break their transfer record to get him. Obviously they will have a limit and they go can elsewhere, but you are absolutely right, we hold the cards and let them (Burnley) come to us to try and prize him away. 

And particularly if as reported the lad is happy to be back playing with us, presumably if he gets playing time assurances.

8 hours ago, Smirking_Saint said:

I knew you were a bit if a nob but jesus

Not sure why that needs to turn into personal insults but ok 😕

What I’m saying is true though he does get confused and that’s probably down to awareness, processing situations quickly and knowing what to do in them.. which is why I said slow in the head 

look at the wolves miss or the one in the cup where he could have got a hatrick 

it’s not just technique as he’s just as capable of fucking up headed chances too 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal

Thank fuck. I've been done wasting money and watching him play every week for well over a year now. Like with Aribo, you can get away with not being able to run in the SPL. But, in the Premier League and Championship, it's a much needed attribute. 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, the saint in winchester said:

Sadly, it does, then.

If we were not prepared to let him go, we wouldn't be having talks.

That may explain the links to Josh Windass.

Why 'sadly'?  As far as I'm concerned, he did nothing in his time with the Saints.

I don't think JWP would be seen as good enough for what Villa are trying to do and now they have Tielemans, Luiz and McGinn I don't see why they would go for him.

Aside from West Ham, I wonder if someone like Brighton might come in for him if the price reduces slightly. They value good senior pros/leaders and will likely lose Caicedo. Good opportunity to play in Europe too.

MAN shitty in for Mbappe would be a scary headline......come and win a treble with Pepe, we can not be stopped. FFP will not stop us, we have to many high paid lawyers.

Its a crazy story, convicted of breaking ffp rules for years, but charges dropped after not having enough proof, or legal proof, as the big city lawyers would say.

Then charges again by the PL  of FFP rule breaking this year, city are so scared ( not )  they decided to sue the PL, haggle it out in courts for years with an army of the best lawyers that oil money can buy.

Sand Castle will be watching very close, as they will have to employ similar money magic to get that small culb ( like cith was) into a PL bohemoth that can spend beyonds it small income, fan base etc.....

I bet Qatar get their transfer done....MU