Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

2 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

More so then players that we know from recent experience were capable of getting us promoted. Jos Hooiveld, Aaron Martin, Danny Seaborne, Danny Fox, Danny Butterfield, Frazer Richardson. I would rather have Stephens in the side then any of those in their prime ahead of our next season. It's not desperation to fill the squad with mediocrity, it's understanding that players who may not have been the best in the PL but have shown to be useful will still be more then capable of doing a very good job in the second tier with the right management.

And all those were binned off fairly quickly once promoted from memory but hey, if you want to be down the pub pre game in 3 months time debating whether Jack Stephens should be in the team or not and then doing the same thing every other month until he leaves on a free then good for you. I’m personally bored of that conversation, those mistakes, the finger pointing at some foreign shit house and the watching of him duck out of every aerial challenge that comes his way but still somehow convincing myself we need him back in the side because he’s a leader. 

2 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Hope he stays personally. We got promoted out of this league last time with Aaron Martin and post nightclub injury Danny Seaborne getting games. He is definitely better then those two.

Good player, Jack Stephens.    Not quite consistently good enough at Prem Level, but would be excellent in the Championship.   Moot point though with indications we will sell to Bournemouth.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

And all those were binned off fairly quickly once promoted from memory but hey, if you want to be down the pub pre game in 3 months time debating whether Jack Stephens should be in the team or not and then doing the same thing every other month until he leaves on a free then good for you. I’m personally bored of that conversation, those mistakes, the finger pointing at some foreign shit house and the watching of him duck out of every aerial challenge that comes his way but still somehow convincing myself we need him back in the side because he’s a leader. 

Exactly my point. We got promoted with players who were not good enough for the Premier league but when coached properly got a club up to the Premier league. 

My point is, take a player who is clearly better then they ever were and use him! 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, austsaint said:

Good player, Jack Stephens.    Not quite consistently good enough at Prem Level, but would be excellent in the Championship.   Moot point though with indications we will sell to Bournemouth.

Wouldn't blame him if he wanted a clean break to be fair. He will be in the top flight while we look on up. 

1 minute ago, Colinjb said:

Exactly my point. We got promoted with players who were not good enough for the Premier league but when coached properly got a club up to the Premier league. 

My point is, take a player who is clearly better than they ever were and use him! 

‘Right, Jacks in the team this week’

’Why boss?’

’Well he’s clearly better than Danny Seabourne was 14 years ago so we’re using him’

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, Saint86 said:

That is Stu right? Can't be AA? 😄😅😄

I only ask as I'm regularly informed by this board that JWP is shit and not press resistant, so that chart must be nonsense. 

moon-awkward.gif

Obviously no surprise to see Ely and aribo where they are. Highlights what I think we can all see, on that Armstrong is one of our best 10s when fit. Hopefully he stays and gets fit as he'll do well for us in the champ. 

Edit. A real shame that alcaraz joined so late in the season and lavia was injured. That is a very solid midfield 3! 

Great! Only six midfielders in the whole league who are more risk averse and it’s hardly good company. Clearly he knows himself he’s not press resistant because he is so risk averse. Can’t lose the ball much I guess when you’re always stood on the backline passing sideways

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

‘Right, Jacks in the team this week’

’Why boss?’

’Well he’s clearly better than Danny Seabourne was 14 years ago so we’re using him’

That can't be the best you can come up with.... Thought you did alright until then. 

Just now, Colinjb said:

That can't be the best you can come up with.... Thought you did alright until then. 

Well you’re arguing that these players should be a barometer of how we should build a squad for this summer so I thought I’d come back with something equally as ridiculous.

I’m just saying we should aim to be recruiting better potential players than Stephens. You want to keep Stephens because he’s better than Aaron Martin. 

5 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Well you’re arguing that these players should be a barometer of how we should build a squad for this summer so I thought I’d come back with something equally as ridiculous.

I’m just saying we should aim to be recruiting better potential players than Stephens. You want to keep Stephens because he’s better than Aaron Martin. 

I want a player with top flight experience who is capable of helping to keep a newly promoted side up should we get there. Stephens is this. He did exactly this with Bournemouth. 

Could we sign better? There is no certainty of it. The guys we built a team with 12 years ago for the most part were not able to become regular Premier league players. 

Edited by Colinjb
  • Like 3

26 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

I want a player with top flight experience who is capable of helping to keep a newly promoted side up should we get there. Stephens is this. He did exactly this with Bournemouth. 

Could we sign better? There is no certainty of it. The guys we built a team with 12 years ago for the most part were not able to become regular Premier league players. 

But Stephens has proven time and again that he is not good enough for the PL.  We have all seen with our own eyes he doesn't cut the mustard, hence why he was loaned out in the first place

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

That is Stu right? Can't be AA?

It's Stu. AA is 33 x 6 (average carries per 60 touches, loses the ball at the same rate as Aribo). Though he's not really a midfielder, so not sure it's comparable.

Alcaraz is 36 x 7.5, but didn't play enough minutes to make the graph.

8 hours ago, Saint86 said:

I'm regularly informed by this board that JWP is shit and not press resistant, so that chart must be nonsense. 

JWP rarely loses the ball, but it's not because he's press-resistant. It's because he passes it backwards or sideways to someone else. If he would ever turn to progress the ball himself, he'd lose it more. The reason so many people around here don't like him is because he's so far to the left on this graph, meaning he never tries to carry the ball and start an attack. Maybe it was his job to be a DM and never get involved in helping the team attack, but it shouldn't have been because a.) that's not his game, and b.) a team that needs to score goals to win games, and win games to stay up, can't afford to have a player whose job is to pick up the ball in defensive midfield and NEVER look to move it towards the opposition goal.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Colinjb said:

Stephens has an uncanny ability to lose the player he is marking. For a centre-back, he is also brilliant at not winning headers.  I think these particular skills are transferable from Premier League to Championship.

Sell him.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Colinjb said:

You’ll need to offer him a new contract if you want him playing in the PL with us apparently so let’s do that and then in October when he’s dropped we can all scoff at the new 3 year contract he signed just like we’ve all done with McCarthy and Djenepo. 

7 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

But Stephens has proven time and again that he is not good enough for the PL.  We have all seen with our own eyes he doesn't cut the mustard, hence why he was loaned out in the first place

He was loaned out because he fell out with Ralph and needed a fresh environment. Not because he wasn't good enough. 

We tried to recall him in January but Bompey said no. 

Edited by SaintNewForest
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

We're not on the premier league. We're in the championship. He'll be very good on the championship imo - I'd rather him than Lyanco, and we'll be low on numbers assuming ABK and Salisu go.

If we go up, then we can discuss whether he can do a job anymore. 

• Like 4

9 hours ago, LaptopSaint said:

Whoever we have at centre back, and I wouldn't be averse to losing all of them except ABK, the good news is that it is the one position that Russell Martin should be able to coach properly. 

I’d prefer to keep Bednarek than pea - hearted ABK. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

I’d prefer to keep Bednarek than pea - hearted ABK. 

What makes him notably pea hearted? Seemed like he tried as much as anyone else last season, for whatever that's worth.

Not his fault that he picked up a freak injury when an opposition player pulled his shoulder out of its socket. Nor when his hamstring went chasing back after Brennan Johnson against Forest. 

Or is he another one of these guys like Salisu who internet people have decided are only ever pretending to be injured? 

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

Interesting to see how lavia, JWP, stu Armstrong, Aribo and Moi rate

Screenshot 2023-06-19 at 16.03.36.png

This graph sums up what we know from watching matches.  I would imagine Alcaraz would be in the right two quadrants and that is why he will be desirable to teams too as players like this win football matches.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Golac's Cunning Stunts said:

Really? That must be why a PL side want to buy him.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

We're not on the premier league. We're in the championship. He'll be very good on the championship imo - I'd rather him than Lyanco, and we'll be low on numbers assuming ABK and Salisu go.

Exactly, those of us putting in a good word for Stephens are doing so should he be lining up for us in the Championship (which he almost certainly won't be) - most acknowledge he had his limitations (for Saints) in the Prem, in much the same way Maya Yoshida did.   Both of them a cut or two below the likes of Fonte, Toby, VVD (of course) and the recent up and comers like ABK and Salisu.    

• Like 2

I’m amazed that Aribo still has a place in our squad…those stats are shocking for a player that supposedly is an attacking, forward thinking player. And his work rate is demonstrably poor too. I hope we don’t need to see him in the match day team because that would be a sign of gross mis-management in my eyes, however with a new coaching staff it will take a while before he’s found out.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, egg said:

I was responding to the poster who said he wanted a player who was good enough for the PL if we go up.

I agree he'd be a decent champs player

• Like 1

When you see what some players move for I would say anyone signing Lavia for under £50m if getting a pretty good deal.

Obviously big profit for us too even accouting for the sell on %

Talent ID last summer pretty good considering we also wanted Colwill, Ramos, Gakpo, Hojlund etc. Shame not to be able to get any of the others!

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Dusic said:

When you see what some players move for I would say anyone signing Lavia for under £50m if getting a pretty good deal.

Obviously big profit for us too even accouting for the sell on %

Talent ID last summer pretty good considering we also wanted Colwill, Ramos, Gakpo, Hojlund etc. Shame not to be able to get any of the others!

But look what we ended up with... Any red blooded male on a night out can spot & want a 10/10 - the trouble is, a bit like saints, most end up with the minging 3/10 of the group. 

Lavia to Arsenal - personal terms being agreed. Hope we get gazillions because he is superb. Best midfielder we've had for quite a while. Such fleeting glimpses nowadays as they stop by...

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dman said:

But look what we ended up with... Any red blooded male on a night out can spot & want a 10/10 - the trouble is, a bit like saints, most end up with the minging 3/10 of the group. 

3/10 is being kind to Orsic

• Like 1

Just now, SuperSAINT said:

Good move for him, good move for Arsenal, good move for City. 

Will get game time in a style that will suit him, playing 'pep's way', could easily see him moving to city in 2-3 years. Wouldn't be surprised if Arteta replaces Pep and takes Lavia with him. 

I think it'll be £40m too, which is somewhat disappointing.

I know circumstances have changed but we rejected £50m last Summer and he only improved. Plus City will get 20% of the £40m so we're left with around £32m which seems nowhere near enough for a player of his potential.

1 minute ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t see Arsenal signing him and Declan Rice.

I think they definitely will. Apparently Xhaka and Partey are both leaving - Rice & Lavia would be pretty much a L4L replacement of them both. 

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Can’t see Arsenal signing him and Declan Rice.

Why not? They're different kinds of players and they seem to be targeting both. Arsenal needed another CM initially and now they also need to replace Xhaka

7 minutes ago, Dman said:

I think they definitely will. Apparently Xhaka and Partey are both leaving - Rice & Lavia would be pretty much a L4L replacement of them both. 

Rice and Lavia would make a very very strong midfield pairing. Rice has the ability to screen the back 4 that we really didn't have this season, and Lavia will love playing on the turn with Saka Odegaard and Martinelli making runs beyond him.

Just make sure we get a good fee.

• Like 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

Would accept 40m and 10% sell on fee

Surely it has to be over the 40m price mark. That is the price in which City can buy him, so is slightly reduced in terms of market value (i.e a deal for them). 

Personally, I think we should be looking at 40m after relevant sell on clauses are paid, so c.45m