Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

MAN shitty in for Mbappe would be a scary headline......come and win a treble with Pepe, we can not be stopped. FFP will not stop us, we have to many high paid lawyers.

Its a crazy story, convicted of breaking ffp rules for years, but charges dropped after not having enough proof, or legal proof, as the big city lawyers would say.

Then charges again by the PL  of FFP rule breaking this year, city are so scared ( not )  they decided to sue the PL, haggle it out in courts for years with an army of the best lawyers that oil money can buy.

Sand Castle will be watching very close, as they will have to employ similar money magic to get that small culb ( like cith was) into a PL bohemoth that can spend beyonds it small income, fan base etc.....

I bet Qatar get their transfer done....MU

Might as well let them all be owned by countries then you may have some more level competition! 

3 hours ago, HarvSFC said:

Thank fuck. I've been done wasting money and watching him play every week for well over a year now. Like with Aribo, you can get away with not being able to run in the SPL. But, in the Premier League and Championship, it's a much needed attribute. 

excited mark cuban GIF

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

I don't think JWP would be seen as good enough for what Villa are trying to do and now they have Tielemans, Luiz and McGinn I don't see why they would go for him.

Aside from West Ham, I wonder if someone like Brighton might come in for him if the price reduces slightly. They value good senior pros/leaders and will likely lose Caicedo. Good opportunity to play in Europe too.

Brighton is a good shout, although not at £50m.  Wolves might be an option too.

1 hour ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

MAN shitty in for Mbappe would be a scary headline......come and win a treble with Pepe, we can not be stopped. FFP will not stop us, we have to many high paid lawyers.

Its a crazy story, convicted of breaking ffp rules for years, but charges dropped after not having enough proof, or legal proof, as the big city lawyers would say.

Then charges again by the PL  of FFP rule breaking this year, city are so scared ( not )  they decided to sue the PL, haggle it out in courts for years with an army of the best lawyers that oil money can buy.

Sand Castle will be watching very close, as they will have to employ similar money magic to get that small culb ( like cith was) into a PL bohemoth that can spend beyonds it small income, fan base etc.....

I bet Qatar get their transfer done....MU

😂😂😂👍

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Might as well let them all be owned by countries then you may have some more level competition! 

Knowing our luck England would put a bid in for us.

Edited by Turkish
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Dusic said:

I don't think JWP would be seen as good enough for what Villa are trying to do and now they have Tielemans, Luiz and McGinn I don't see why they would go for him.

Aside from West Ham, I wonder if someone like Brighton might come in for him if the price reduces slightly. They value good senior pros/leaders and will likely lose Caicedo. Good opportunity to play in Europe too.

A few months ago I would have hated this move -- Now it kind of makes sense.

West Ham will likely nudge the price up nearer to what we want too with the Rice slice of cash in their pockets. JWP gets his european wish & perhaps an Ings reunion.

30 minutes ago, Chez said:

Brighton is a good shout, although not at £50m.  Wolves might be an option too.

Doesn't suit the way Brighton play at all. I'd be very surprised if it's not West Ham now. He's talked up missing European football and they need a midfield refresh. He's not a Rice replacement but they'll have the money to spend and could do with a Noble replacement.

Funny to see Chelsea and Poch after Jackson from Villareal despite people scoffing at the idea of us signing him in January. 

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He was injured, not entirely sure what he'd have added to us.

Well he managed to score nine goals in eight games for Villareal at the end of the season so some of them would have been nice. So not that injured.

Edited by Fabrice29
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

A few months ago I would have hated this move -- Now it kind of makes sense.

West Ham will likely nudge the price up nearer to what we want too with the Rice slice of cash in their pockets. JWP gets his european wish & perhaps an Ings reunion.

20 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Funny to see Chelsea and Poch after Jackson from Villareal despite people scoffing at the idea of us signing him in January. 

They were idiots. The pace and power was obvious in the friendly. Hopefully we gave it a good go to sign him, although perhaps Sulemana was the actual target.

26 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Doesn't suit the way Brighton play at all. I'd be very surprised if it's not West Ham now. He's talked up missing European football and they need a midfield refresh. He's not a Rice replacement but they'll have the money to spend and could do with a Noble replacement.

Wouldn't West Ham (and Brighton) be better off spending the money on Lavia?

One that’s been linked with us previously.

I think if we don’t use our city links to get a decent loan for the season it’ll be a real wasted opportunity, a lot of talent that will go out for game time next year 

3 minutes ago, EBS1980 said:

I think if we don’t use our city links to get a decent loan for the season it’ll be a real wasted opportunity, a lot of talent that will go out for game time next year 

Agreed. In general all the leading Championshio clubs get several loans from the major Prem sides. We should not miss out.

22 minutes ago, Master Bates said:

TLDR: or "A story of our time"

"Speculation currently is that Grimes is the player Russell Martin wants"

"With a young family and partner Angela from Pembrokeshire it will be a huge wrench leaving all that they know and come to love. That west Wales lifestyle is unique. Sixty thousand pounds a month obviously helps"

"A move from Swansea brings with it many issues, all that can be overcome with the finance on offer of course …"

"But really is that financial reward worth a risk to his family’s happiness ?"

Edited by Nolan

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

TLDR: or "A story of our time"

"Speculation currently is that Grimes is the player Russell Martin wants"

"With a young family and partner Angela from Pembrokeshire it will be a huge wrench leaving all that they know and come to love. That west Wales lifestyle is unique. Sixty thousand pounds a month obviously helps"

"A move from Swansea brings with it many issues, all that can be overcome with the finance on offer of course …"

"But really is that financial reward worth a risk to his family’s happiness ?"

Christ. It’s a few hours drive or train ride away not other side of the moon.

Just as well nothing like FaceTime, WebEx, Teams to keep in touch !

Can't he work remotely, so he doesn't have to move house? Perhaps kick a ball around Swansea while his new team-mates are at St Mary's in a ground-breaking new (presumably data-led) Saints initiative? We've played with less than 11 players for a couple of years now, with Elyounoussi, Walcott, Djenepo and others in the team, so those that remain will be used to this...

14 hours ago, Chez said:

They were idiots. The pace and power was obvious in the friendly. Hopefully we gave it a good go to sign him, although perhaps Sulemana was the actual target.

Yes, because chelsea signing any player right now is a sign of good scouting 😄

15 hours ago, EBS1980 said:

Alfie House was suggesting Shea Charles from City yesterday.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Chez said:

Wouldn't West Ham (and Brighton) be better off spending the money on Lavia?

Probably but Lavia will probably be nearly double the price of JWP? And you have to get him interested of course.

Edited by Fabrice29

3 minutes ago, Fabrice29 said:

Probably but Lavia will probably be nearly double the price of JWP? And you have to get him interested of course.

You get what you pay for. If I was looking for a Rice replacement, then I'd be looking at Lavia, not JWP.  

Get him interested?  I am pretty sure Lavia would be more than happy to move to West Ham, getting a huge pay rise in the process no doubt, rather than stay at Saints in the Championship.

15 minutes ago, Chez said:

You get what you pay for. If I was looking for a Rice replacement, then I'd be looking at Lavia, not JWP.  

Get him interested?  I am pretty sure Lavia would be more than happy to move to West Ham, getting a huge pay rise in the process no doubt, rather than stay at Saints in the Championship.

Maybe but slows down a move to a really top club as West Ham wouldnt sell within a year.

21 minutes ago, Chez said:

I suspect unlike JWP those are not his only two options though.

2 minutes ago, wild-saint said:

Maybe but slows down a move to a really top club as West Ham wouldnt sell within a year.

If the really top clubs don't want him this summer, are they more likely to come back next summer with bigger offers after seeing what he can do in the Championship. West Ham seems a decent step to me. They haven't stopped the lies of Defore, Lampard, Johnson, Cole, Ferdinand, Carrick in the past (and Rice now) from making moves.

1 hour ago, Fabrice29 said:

I suspect unlike JWP those are not his only two options though.

Fair point, but unless the other clubs stump up the cash, maybe West Ham will be the only option this summer. I wonder how he is going to react to us turning down approaches from the big sides. It could get messy.

Note, that I am still talking about Lavia here, not JWP.

Edited by Chez

Worrying.

For context, had a look at all the quotes from DSports (can't find the original audio, so if anyone can point me in that direction, I would be grateful), and it looks like the prem is his priority - whether that be after a year of tearing up the Championship, or heading to Brighton or similar this year... 

To be fair to him, he says that he 'is still playing for Southampton' and 'isn't up to date' with rumours of move and so on - he says he 'simply plays and gives his all' 

I also can't confirm as to the framing of the question to him, but it looks like they sepcifically asked him about playing in the premier league, which might explain this response. 

From another interview, he is returning from Argentina to Southampton today, so maybe things will become clearer soon in this regard. 

Here is the twitter thread for fellow spanish speakers: 

8 minutes ago, santolijador said:

Worrying.

For context, had a look at all the quotes from DSports (can't find the original audio, so if anyone can point me in that direction, I would be grateful), and it looks like the prem is his priority - whether that be after a year of tearing up the Championship, or heading to Brighton or similar this year... 

To be fair to him, he says that he 'is still playing for Southampton' and 'isn't up to date' with rumours of move and so on - he says he 'simply plays and gives his all' 

I also can't confirm as to the framing of the question to him, but it looks like they sepcifically asked him about playing in the premier league, which might explain this response. 

From another interview, he is returning from Argentina to Southampton today, so maybe things will become clearer soon in this regard. 

Here is the twitter thread for fellow spanish speakers: 

feels like the conversation may have been along the lines of `will you possibly come back to play for one of the other top Argentina sides' and he's saying `he would prefer to continue/progress his career over here in England. He wants to play in the Prem'.

If a Saints player said "I'm not interested in moving, I want to stay here and get the side promoted after being partly responsible for relegation" we as fans would lap it up, but it would be bullshit.

They all want to be earning 100% of their wage, not 60%, and all want to be playing in the top league. If any Prem side offered them that opportunity, they would not turn it down.

They key with all these Saints players from our point of view is, how will they react when we turn down Prem offers that don't meet our valuations. It will be very hard for them to accept the situation. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, santolijador said:

"At the moment I'm still playing for the club". "I'm not very aware of these things, I just play and do my best".

"I want to stay playing in the Premier League. The reality is that I want to keep learning in the league,”

When asked about joining another club"

"My priority is Racing". 

"I couldn't play in Boca, Estudiantes and Independiente".

Daily Echo

NEWS

Caballero remains in talks as Southampton FC release 12 professionals

1 hr ago
Willy Caballero could remain at Saints for a further year but talks are ongoing (Image: Stuart Martin)

SAINTS goalkeeper Willy Caballero remains in talks over a potential new deal as the club confirm their released and retained list.

As already known, Theo Walcott and Moi Elyounoussi will depart St Mary’s at the end of the month following the expiry of their contracts.

The club statement reads: “The club would like to thank both Theo and Moi for their commitment and efforts throughout their time as Southampton players, and we wish both of them the very best for their future.”

Saints have also confirmed a further 10 professional players, who played within the academy or on loan this season, will depart at the end of their deals.

Those players include Goran Babic, Sam Bellis, Matthew Hall, Zuriel Otseh-Taiwo, Leon Pambou, Fedel Ross-Lang, Jak Stewart, Will Tizzard, Jack Turner and Caleb Watts.

7 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Would be good if something comes of that, especially if its a permanent move but won't hold my breath as they won't be able to afford him.

Remember at the time under Gao we were also linked with Tosin Adarabioyo and didn't want to pay £12m for him so instead bought Lyanco for £7m, beating Watford to his signing (which is enough to signal alarm bells).

Couldn't speak English and had struggled in Italy. Unreliable, rash defender who tries to mask it by being overly emotional.

Two years later one is being linked with a move to Inter Milan and the other with a move back to Brazil.

Re Alcaraz - just like the whole squad, if he gets a sniff of a PL offer he will want to take it.

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Would be good if something comes of that, especially if its a permanent move but won't hold my breath as they won't be able to afford him.

Remember at the time under Gao we were also linked with Tosin Adarabioyo and didn't want to pay £12m for him so instead bought Lyanco for £7m, beating Watford to his signing (which is enough to signal alarm bells).

Couldn't speak English and had struggled in Italy. Unreliable, rash defender who tries to mask it by being overly emotional.

Two years later one is being linked with a move to Inter Milan and the other with a move back to Brazil.

Re Alcaraz - just like the whole squad, if he gets a sniff of a PL offer he will want to take it.

At some point the board will have to decide which of the better  players they really want to keep, ( or at least a minumum price to sell) and play hardball with them and their agents. Presumably they already have a list of the ones to fight for, and Alcaraz must surely be on that list.