Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

35 minutes ago, Dman said:

JWP their way, Flynn Downes our way then... Perfect! 

What's this Downes lad like? I see he's played under Martin and appears to be a ball player. My best guess though is that JWP will end up at Villa. 

16 hours ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Not transfer related but have heard we are closing down our academy in Bath with a load of coaches losing their job and a bunch of kids released

Why are we doing that? Is it for financial reasons or have someone like Chelsea (or whoever) cornered the market down there so there is no talent left?

24 minutes ago, egg said:

What's this Downes lad like? I see he's played under Martin and appears to be a ball player. My best guess though is that JWP will end up at Villa. 

He's decent and looked tremendous in the Championship.

Great first touch, lots of time on the ball and he seemed to be a class above - hence he got a Prem move. I thought we might try to sign him last summer, he looked liek the player we hoped Diallo would be, but obviously we had Lavia lined up.

I was going to suggest he'd be a good signing for us this summer myself. However, I thought perhaps it's unlikely that he'd drop back to the Championship after one season (no player wants to give that up easily). I guess the only time that might happen is if he was a complete disaster and didn't get a game.  For a while that looked the case. Despite West Ham struggles and he couldn't dislodge Soucek. He has tended to come on for the last 10 or 15 minutes in games only (the odd cup game apart). More recently though he has started three or four Prem games and done OK.

I would imagine West Ham see him as a decent squad player that may be able to step up next year, rather than a guy that isn't good enough and needs shipping out. 

The other issue is he will be on prem wages. They may not be huge prem wages, but we need to reduce wages first before we can add. 

If you like seeing defensive work from a CM, the first two minutes of this video are of him making sliding tackles...

Edited by Chez
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

He's decent and looked tremendous in the Championship.

Great first touch, lots of time on the ball and he seemed to be a class above - hence he got a Prem move. I thought we might try to sign him last summer, he looked liek the player we hoped Diallo would be, but obviously we had Lavia lined up.

I was going to suggest he'd be a good signing for us this summer myself. However, I thought perhaps it's unlikely that he'd drop back to the Championship after one season (no player wants to give that up easily). I guess the only time that might happen is if he was a complete disaster and didn't get a game.  For a while that looked the case. Despite West Ham struggles and he couldn't dislodge Soucek. He has tended to come on for the last 10 or 15 minutes in games only (the odd cup game apart). More recently though he has started three or four Prem games and done OK.

I would imagine West Ham see him as a decent squad player that may be able to step up next year, rather than a guy that isn't good enough and needs shipping out. 

The other issue is he will be on prem wages. They may not be huge prem wages, but we need to reduce wages first before we can add. 

If you like seeing defensive work from a CM, the first two minutes of this video are of him making sliding tackles...

Cheers Chez. Looks very impressive, but hard to see him dropping back to the championship unless it's a loan of he's not going to be getting games there. 

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

fantastic 1970s style name as well. Sounds like the sort of council estate pub hardman that would turn out for the Rising Sun when they were short hungover.

Agree about the name. 

But more 1960’s ring to it for me, a sort of hybrid of two of the Great Train Robbers. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, egg said:

Cheers Chez. Looks very impressive, but hard to see him dropping back to the championship unless it's a loan of he's not going to be getting games there. 

I suspect, if he is open to leave, there will definitely be other clubs in th ePL sniffing around. Brentford for example. 

If (big if) West Ham sign Alvarez and JWP, that would leave limited possibilities for him to get game time at WHU, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Viking Saint said:

Coventry have slapped a £30 million price tag on Gyokeres. Guess that removes him from our list of potential recruits.

He's been removed from our list of potential recruits the day we went down.

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, Dman said:

I suspect, if he is open to leave, there will definitely be other clubs in th ePL sniffing around. Brentford for example. 

If (big if) West Ham sign Alvarez and JWP, that would leave limited possibilities for him to get game time at WHU, though.

I saw a clip of big Sam being very confident that Rice would go to Man City with Phillips going to West Ham. Not sure where that'd leave Downes, and makes JWP potential move away with less options. 

40 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Not for me, Another Aribo. All that potential but a lazy fucker.

Saying that, Aribo would probably suit RM's tactics.

Miles better than Aribo IMHO, still not saying we should move for Barkley as he'll cost allot but he'd be decent in the Championship

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, Viking Saint said:

Coventry have slapped a £30 million price tag on Gyokeres. Guess that removes him from our list of potential recruits.

They will do well to get that seeing as he only has one year left on his contract. 

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Hopefully a permanent deal.

Not suggesting that I'd expect mountains of interest, but it wouldn't make sense to get it done this quickly unless it's a permanent/loan with obligation surely?

Not sure why we'd accept a straight loan this early on without waiting a little bit of time for a more preferable structure.

• Like 2

We're going to have a fair chunk of money to spend this transfer window.

I just hope that Rasmus and Co let Russell Martin have input. We need some experience and know how to get out of the Championship, not more risks. 

I'm genuinely looking forward to a season for the first time in a long time. 

• Like 5

Just now, Sfcphilc said:

I just hope that Rasmus and Co let Russell Martin have input. We need some experience and know how to get out of the Championship, not more risks. 

It was said that Jasob Wilcox will have scout reports of 3 players per position and then Russell will get to choose his preferred option I think.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

It was said that Jasob Wilcox will have scout reports of 3 players per position and then Russell will get to choose his preferred option I think.

I like the sound of that if true. Need to keep the owners as far away from player recruitment as possible. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, edprice1984 said:

Barkley is a massive no. Clearly no drive left and will want a chunk of wages. 

Gyokeres will end up at Wolves. I have a mate who is a Season Ticket holder and he is convinced they are in for him.

read a nice article the other day in the athletic and the fans down there seemed to really rate barkley, am surprised he's leaving.

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Martin gets to pick from 3 ultrasound scans, for each position, who SR are sure will bring in massive sell on profits in the future. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

5 hours ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Martin gets to pick from 3 ultrasound scans, for each position, who SR are sure will bring in massive sell on profits in the future. 🙂

Am hoping sports republic buy a lab to help these foetuses with their nutrition and have a performance coach teaching them how to kick properly in the womb

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Is that the brother of Jacob and Jason Wilcox?

• Haha 1

SR need to clear out the deadwood (diallo, aribo, elynossi, possibly AA and Onoachou), and bring in experienced players at this level. No stupid gambling, thinking outside the box or relying on Microsoft Edexcel. With this, promotion could be a viable option next season.

4 hours ago, Sussex_saint said:

SR need to clear out the deadwood (diallo, aribo, elynossi, possibly AA and Onoachou), and bring in experienced players at this level. No stupid gambling, thinking outside the box or relying on Microsoft Edexcel. With this, promotion could be a viable option next season.

AA was the second top scorer (behind Toney) in his last season at this level, so he definitely deserves a chance if he suits Martin's style. Aribo will also likely suit the new style of play and has shown quality at Europa League level.

Elyounoussi is out of contract and would also be happy to see the back of Diallo, Tall Paul and throw Djenepo, McCarthy and Lyanco into the mix also

• Like 1

On 09/06/2023 at 23:40, HnycS said:

Very close call I would say.

To be honest we don’t even know how good he is .scarcely used and when he was hardly got any service anyway.

it’s not like he missed a ton of sitters che style 

His job his mainly to finish and we never gave him nothing to finish .. it wouldn’t have mattered if we bought prime christian vieri if he gets no service 

Edited by pimpin4rizeal
  • Like 7

43 minutes ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

To be honest we don’t even know how good he is .scarcely used and when he was hardly got any service anyway.

it’s not like he missed a ton of sitters che style 

His job his mainly to finish and we never gave him nothing to finish .. it wouldn’t have mattered if we bought prime christian vieri if he gets no service 

Totally agree I’m really not sure how people are managing to form an opinion on him given he basically didn’t play for the club!

• Like 6

On 08/06/2023 at 13:01, Nolan said:

Burnley have never spent more than 15 Million on a player.

Mmmm ..so it will be interesting to see just how keen they are to retain him, as they may also lose several key "over age " players.

One things for certain - even one season in the Prem. will give them enormous income so they can't expect to survive by buying

Prem. quality players for a mere 12-15 million.   Our own recent history proves that.

Looking at those teams who struggled alongside us - and were still relegated - they will need to spend big to have a chance of survival. 

On 09/06/2023 at 22:03, Sfcphilc said:

Agreed we are not definitely short of money. We don’t need to sell players to buy although the squad does need slimming down.

This season , as was originally planned for last season until Joe Shield dropped us in it . Rasmus job is overseeing and enlarging Sports Republics rosta. Jason Wilcox is in charge of recruitment. 

21 minutes ago, manji said:

Agreed we are not definitely short of money. We don’t need to sell players to buy although the squad does need slimming down.

This season , as was originally planned for last season until Joe Shield dropped us in it . Rasmus job is overseeing and enlarging Sports Republics rosta. Jason Wilcox is in charge of recruitment. 

Darren Mowbray will be in charge of recruitment having been brought in as Head of Recruitment. He will report into Wilcox who has overall responsibility for the football operation.

• Like 1