Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

Do we honestly think Tella wants to come back? Sell. We loaned him out and he was excellent under a good manager who's going places while we exhibited to the world just how bad our coaching set up is, and how that is magnified by incompetence from above. Plus we're in the Championship, and Burnley will be playing in the big time, with Tella testing himself against the very best. So. Seriously. Why on earth would he want to come back? Get the best price and move on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 minutes ago, DT said:

Do we honestly think Tella wants to come back? Sell. We loaned him out and he was excellent under a good manager who's going places while we exhibited to the world just how bad our coaching set up is, and how that is magnified by incompetence from above. Plus we're in the Championship, and Burnley will be playing in the big time, with Tella testing himself against the very best. So. Seriously. Why on earth would he want to come back? Get the best price and move on.

He has always shown potential, but the season in prem he wasn't good enough. Has he improved? Gained confidence? Or another who excels in championship? 

I think we should tell him to stay

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, DT said:

Unless he is going to be really unhappy and kick off then we absolutely should keep last year's player of the year and a title winner. His value to us is quite high - we had an absolutely awful attack last year, and we're struggling for a winning mentality - what we absolutely need is players that know how to win, and more than that, players that know how to win the league / get promoted - as that is our fundamental objective. So unless its for silly money we should be keeping Tella - we have more than enough other players to shift / replace / improve on without busying ourselves shifting a player that is nigh on perfect for what we would be going out and looking for anyway ffs - not to mention the absolute utter turmoil that is our upper management and recruitment teams at present.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

A top source in Luke Edwards claiming that we're asking for over £50m for JWP.

Sounds a lot, but at this stage it's better than hearing we are looking for £30m and then Spurs putting in a bid of £12m.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Nolan said:

Burnley have never spent more than 15 Million on a player.

Now's the time for them to do it then (spend £20m on Tella). Perhaps we could stick a sizeable sell on clause in there, and maybe a buy back deal should we get promoted and they get relegated.   

They have just spent €15m turning Beyer's loan into a permanent deal.

• Like 1

I think people have misunderstanding of what a "Firesale" is

A "firesale" only occurs when you're forced to accept any old money because you have to.

As we still have even standing with other clubs, it  is simply a normal "sale", on OUR terms.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

£50m sounds fair. It amazing the amount of clubs that think we are now skint ( far from it ) 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, manji said:

£50m sounds fair. It amazing the amount of clubs that think we are now skint ( far from it ) 

We really should be able to have a "good" summer (its still an overall shitshow mind).... There is a lot of guff to sell that will now want out due to wage cuts and drop in standing. That in itself will allow a rebalance. Then we have a group of high value (or potential) players that are all on decent contracts - we can either keep them together (in which case we should tear up the champ in all seriousness), or sell 1 or 2 and have a lot of money to spare.

Main task is shifting the fillers and rebuilding the squad effectively so that we don't need to flog the jewels.

6 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

£15m + more than Liverpool paid for the 24 year old MacAlister. Not gonna happen. That said, with West Ham needing someone, Newcastle interested, and Villa apparently in the mix, a bidding war could be on the cards. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, egg said:

£15m + more than Liverpool paid for the 24 year old MacAlister. Not gonna happen. That said, with West Ham needing someone, Newcastle interested, and Villa apparently in the mix, a bidding war could be on the cards. 

If Liverpool end up paying £35m and not a penny more, I'll eat my hat. Unless he had some sort of release clause, there is no way he is being sold for £35m all in, when the likes of Rice and Bellingham are being talked about in the £100m plus category.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

If Liverpool end up paying £35m and not a penny more, I'll eat my hat. Unless he had some sort of release clause, there is no way he is being sold for £35m all in, when the likes of Rice and Bellingham are being talked about in the £100m plus category.

Sure, it's £35m plus add-on's some of which will doubtless be paid, but the point remains that we ain't getting£50m+ for JWP. Fantasy money. 

5 minutes ago, NorthLondonSFC said:

Not transfer related but have heard we are  closing down our academy in Bath with a load of coaches losing their job and a bunch of kids released

That's sad to hear. Do you know of this is something that would have happened even had we stayed up? 

Apparently there was a release clause for Mac Allister. Really can't see a way Brighton would have sold him for that amount especially after their firm stance with players in the last couple of windows. Have to remember they bought him young and probably never expected him to turn out as he has.

• Like 1

Just now, Lee On Solent Saint said:

That's not a bad shout though. Very highly rated by all accounts. Has had a few Premier League clubs looking at him.

Being a championship team may in some ways give us an advantage with certain players. We can offer a starting place and may be more willing to take a chance on decent league one and championship players. I've been wanting us to dip into that market more for ages anyway (I know we did it for Adams which worked out OK and Armstrong which was a failure but we could have been smarter.)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, egg said:

Can’t compare to Mac Allister, as they just signed him for his release clause. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Garrett said:

No contest. Carrillo was miles better. 

He wasn’t, they were both useless. Carrillo looked lost in a cup tie against League 1 Wigan. Two terrible, terrible signings where you just wonder what those in charge were possibly thinking.

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Being a championship team may in some ways give us an advantage with certain players. We can offer a starting place and may be more willing to take a chance on decent league one and championship players. I've been wanting us to dip into that market more for ages anyway (I know we did it for Adams which worked out OK and Armstrong which was a failure but we could have been smarter.)

Agreed. We'll hopefully have the pulling power to access most players in our league and below, possibly even frustrated premier league players wanting a loan. I'm actually looking forward to this season. I think the owners will have learned, albeit the hard way, and we're gonna be in for an exciting season. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Can’t compare to Mac Allister, as they just signed him for his release clause. 

Ah ok, hadn't realised it was a release clause situation. Cheers. 

50 minutes ago, egg said:

Sure, it's £35m plus add-on's some of which will doubtless be paid, but the point remains that we ain't getting£50m+ for JWP. Fantasy money. 

£35m for Alexis MacAllister is nowhere near market value. JWP will probably go somewhere in the £45-50m bracket when all clauses are included.

12 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

£35m for Alexis MacAllister is nowhere near market value. JWP will probably go somewhere in the £45-50m bracket when all clauses are included.

I'll bet you the price of a kebab that it'll be nearer £35m than £45-50m (with achievable add ons). 

Re MaCalister, I hadn't appreciated that was a contract buy out figure. Saint Garrett set me straight. 

19 minutes ago, egg said:

Agreed. We'll hopefully have the pulling power to access most players in our league and below, possibly even frustrated premier league players wanting a loan. I'm actually looking forward to this season. I think the owners will have learned, albeit the hard way, and we're gonna be in for an exciting season. 

Yep. I'd be surprised if we don't have a better team in September of this year than we had in September 2022.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Just now, hypochondriac said:

Yep. I'd be surprised if we don't have a better team in September of this year than we had in September 2022.

I think that's more than likely, and hopefully with experienced championship players through the spine. 

To add a bit of context to the already discussed Mac Allister, prior to October his contract was expiring this summer, so was going to leave on a free. He then signed an extension with Brighton last October, ensuring they got money for him, but that he had an affordable get out clause should another club come calling. Also, he wasn't the same reputable Mac Allister he was now back in October, so £35m probably suited all parties with Brighton not thinking they would get much more. He has since won the World Cup and his value has only increased, but he had the get out clause.

I suspect Caicedo has the same deal given his new contract following his wants to leave in January.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, egg said:

That's sad to hear. Do you know of this is something that would have happened even had we stayed up? 

You'd argue that having a wider network of scouting, is probably more important when in the championship... 

15 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Very good player, ready for the step up. Would suit Martin's style as well. Will go on to be a PL CB in the future i'm sure. 

Would be a good move for all parties imo. 

22 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

I'm interested in getting a BJ from prime Angelina Jolie.

Hate all this newspaper bullshit, if you can't afford the player go fucking shop somewhere where you can afford them.

• Haha 1

Just now, Convict Colony said:

I'm interested in getting a BJ from prime Angelina Jolie.

Hate all this newspaper bullshit, if you can't afford the player go fucking shop somewhere where you can afford them.

Newcastle clearly can afford him, he's just not worth anything near £50m, to anyone other than us. 

Interestingly, Talksport are reporting that West Ham are in for Edson Alvarez at Ajax (DM), which may mean their interest in JWP cools... and also means that Flynn Downs may become available.. 

8 minutes ago, Dman said:

Newcastle clearly can afford him, he's just not worth anything near £50m, to anyone other than us. 

Interestingly, Talksport are reporting that West Ham are in for Edson Alvarez at Ajax (DM), which may mean their interest in JWP cools... and also means that Flynn Downs may become available.. 

I'm pretty sure David Sullivan said on talksport that they will be going for more than one player to replace Rice in midfield, given the size of the fee.

Telegraph reporting that they're targeting JWP and Edson Alvarez as the replacements, with JWP as #1 summer target. Also mentioned Harvey Barnes as a target.

Edited by CSA96

14 minutes ago, Dman said:

Very good player, ready for the step up. Would suit Martin's style as well. Will go on to be a PL CB in the future i'm sure. 

Would be a good move for all parties imo. 

fantastic 1970s style name as well. Sounds like the sort of council estate pub hardman that would turn out for the Rising Sun when they were short hungover.

3 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

I'm pretty sure David Sullivan said on talksport that they will be going for more than one player to replace Rice in midfield, given the size of the fee.

Telegraph reporting that they're targeting JWP and Edson Alvarez as the replacements, with JWP as #1 summer target. Also mentioned Harvey Barnes as a target.

JWP their way, Flynn Downes our way then... Perfect!