Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

14 minutes ago, Chez said:

Yeah, if we sell to Chelsea/Liverpool/Arsenal/Newcastle today for £40m, we'll get £32m (£8m will go to City). If we sell to City today for £40m, we'll get £40m. If we sell to City next summer for £40m, well get £40m. 

I'm all for keeping him by the way, and I do wonder if others see him as £50m player. That is a very big price. Teams like Dortmund haven't spent that kind of money before, so the pool of big money buyers is small. I have no doubt teams will be very interested - he's a very good player, but realistically, who is spending £50m on him? I think Chelsea were the ones, but they have possibly moved on with the Enzo signing. There is no guarantee that City want him next year either. It will be hard for them to assess his progression/value if he spend a season with us in the Championship.

Maybe he stays. If that happens, there may be greater pressure to sell others, like Sulemana.  

If Chelsea continue to do Chelsea things, they'll sign him on a 12 year contract for £200M. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

To me looking at our squad outside of premium players like Lavia/JWP who we might struggle to keep hold of and extreme dirge (orsic etc), you've got a largish group of players with contracts running down that i'd expect most would go if we can find homes for them. The only 2 i'd think we might be looking to potentially extend are smallbone and adams

Alex McCarthy – 2024
Jack Stephens – 2024
Ché Adams - 2024
Stuart Armstrong – 2024
Mohammed Salisu - 2024
Ibrahima Diallo - 2024
Dan Nlundulu – 2024
Will Smallbone – 2024

10 minutes ago, Chez said:

Where has the `Perraud wants to leave' stuff come from? There was a post on here a while back saying that's what they heard, can't recall from who, but his social media post suggests he will be here next season:

“The season is over for me today.Really disappointing to finish this way but it's football. A difficult season where I learned a lot. I will give everything to support my teammates for the next four games. Thank you for your support Saints fans see you soon.”

I agree. He hasn't ever nailed down a spot at Premier League level but would be good in the champ so wouldn't think he's an automatic to leave

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer
  • Like 1

Just now, Smirking_Saint said:

No I believe the Sell on fee stacks. Atleast thats what Ive seen reported before by the Athletic for instance, so if he goes to City for a £40m fee they ‘get’ 20% (or whatever the agreed fee is)

Of course Id like to keep him, but realistically 50m isn’t a huge sum for a player of his talents, Ive said before, with modern tactics there are very few clubs at the highest of tables that can function without an elite No.6 and Lavia is on his way to being one

Casemiro transformed Utd for instance

Fabinho’s regression has had a huge impact on Liverpool 

Arsenal/Chelsea are just not the same without Partey/Kante

Lavia will likely be a top level no.6 if he carries on this trajectory, and I think he’ll have a few suiters. Namely Chelsea, Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool and possibly abroad

Not sure the clauses will stack. The buyback would effectively be just £32m. It's possible suppose. 

He's a quality player. No doubt about it. Hope we can keep him. First and foremost, I really enjoy watching him play for us.

14 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

To me looking at our squad outside of premium players like Lavia/JWP who we might struggle to keep hold of and extreme dirge (orsic etc), you've got a largish group of players with contracts running down that i'd expect most would go if we can find homes for them. The only 2 i'd think we might be looking to potentially extend are smallbone and adams

Alex McCarthy – 2024
Jack Stephens – 2024
Ché Adams - 2024
Stuart Armstrong – 2024
Mohammed Salisu - 2024
Ibrahima Diallo - 2024
Dan Nlundulu – 2024
Will Smallbone – 2024

Adams didn't sign a new deal while we were in the Prem. I can't see him signing one now that we are in the championship.

30 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Alex McCarthy – 2024
Jack Stephens – 2024
Ché Adams - 2024
Stuart Armstrong – 2024
Mohammed Salisu - 2024
Ibrahima Diallo - 2024
Dan Nlundulu – 2024
Will Smallbone – 2024

Would agree about Will Smallbone,  but Adams ?..nhaaa. (not sure).  The real truth is ...with one year left on their contracts, we must

look to get some real recompense for them,  otherwise they can walk away for NOTHING next summer.

Looking at the top 6  (and aside from Stephens)  there was a fair bit of investment there that we wouldn't be able to recoup next year.

Going down this year will keep us out of the Chelsea fire sale, they have a bunch of talented players they need to sell. The PL clubs could get some great deals, the newly promoted could get some great players. Boohoo

Would we had a chance at Broja again? Is there talent in the youth camp that would have come to us, will they now? Another Tino?

19 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

Going down this year will keep us out of the Chelsea fire sale, they have a bunch of talented players they need to sell. The PL clubs could get some great deals, the newly promoted could get some great players. Boohoo

Would we had a chance at Broja again? Is there talent in the youth camp that would have come to us, will they now? Another Tino?

You've used your allotted 3 questions for today.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, BERMUDASAINT said:

I suspect Broja is now on a huge contract at Chelsea, so maybe out of our reach in the Prem, never mind the Championship - not that he would drop down to the Championship.

I think a lot on here don't want to see us sign anymore untried youngsters. Tino and Lavia worked out well, immediately, but Edozie and Larios less so and we will have to wait and see if they blossom. Like you, I wonder if being a Championship side means those types won't come to us now?

In the end, you only need to look at how many youngsters from the Prem were loaned by the top 6 Championship sides to know that is an avenue worth exploring. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Chez said:

I suspect Broja is now on a huge contract at Chelsea, so maybe out of our reach in the Prem, never mind the Championship - not that he would drop down to the Championship.

I think a lot on here don't want to see us sign anymore untried youngsters. Tino and Lavia worked out well, immediately, but Edozie and Larios less so and we will have to wait and see if they blossom. Like you, I wonder if being a Championship side means those types won't come to us now?

In the end, you only need to look at how many youngsters from the Prem were loaned by the top 6 Championship sides to know that is an avenue worth exploring. 

There will always be young players that will come to us. They might not be as good as the ones we could have got in the Premier League, but there will be a sweet spot where we can find some quality for our new level.

You can also guarantee that the club will sign some more youth at it's in the business model

• Like 1

To be honest I think there could be a tonne more movement than usual this summer in a lot of leagues and the not usual clubs getting poached by the big boys.

The Saudi league is currently trying to dismantle Real Madrid by offering benzema and modric a boatload of cash this week when real have probably spent most of their budget already on Bellingham, so they need to spend again.

Juventus seem to be looking for affordable players, AC Milan are shopping around the loftus-cheek spend bracket.

Would expect the Saudis have plans for players in other leagues as well including EPL for name players 32+ with hardly any contract left.

I think really Saudi is the new China and will disrupt the transfer window massively this summer, remember Pelle getting something like 180k a week in China it was insane.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

I think really Saudi is the new China and will disrupt the transfer window massively this summer, remember Pelle getting something like 180k a week in China it was insane.

Watch Alex McCarthy get 300k a week and a farm of camels. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

4 hours ago, SotonianWill said:

captained a team to winning this league already, would be a great player for us. 

Not a ton of money and would add experience. Good organizer and vocal, would do great in the Championship. 

2 hours ago, Convict Colony said:

think really Saudi is the new China and will disrupt the transfer window massively this summer, remember Pelle getting something like 180k a week in China it was insane.

Agree to a point, I don’t think it’ll full take over the way the CSL movement did.

Yeah I’m pretty sure I read somewhere Graziano Pellè at the time of signing was the third highest paid player in the world. 😂

21 hours ago, Chez said:

Where has the `Perraud wants to leave' stuff come from? There was a post on here a while back saying that's what they heard, can't recall from who, but his social media post suggests he will be here next season:

“The season is over for me today.Really disappointing to finish this way but it's football. A difficult season where I learned a lot. I will give everything to support my teammates for the next four games. Thank you for your support Saints fans see you soon.”

I don't know chez, it's a fair point. 

I like him and would keep him for the champ no question, but there have been a few rumours about him leaving. 

14 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Willy might be staying on a new deal is the word on the street.

That's easy to predict as it was written by the daily echo. But it would be a good deal, 1 year extension whilst he works on his coaches badges.

47 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I can't see Willy getting much action but it makes sense to have an experienced 3rd choice. Personally I think we'll stand by Baz as number 1 or 2 but look to replace/offload Alex especially in light of the wages he's reportedly on.

On 30/05/2023 at 21:36, Smirking_Saint said:

What are you suggesting exactly?

Only that if your goal is to slim a bloated squad on high wages then triggering a contracted 40% pay cut by relegation helps a lot. Theres lot of players who absent that cut wouldn't have been motivated to leave, and you obv can't cut wages unilaterally in the Prem. 

I'm not suggesting relegation was our first choice, but I do believe that this kind of consideration limited how hard we actually tried to stay up. Not just based on the decisions we made (Selles as much as Jones) but also all these weird board statements about the gap between Prem and Championship being smaller than people think etc. These people clearly believe they can and need to break and remould the club - that's much easier to do now. 

6 minutes ago, Rich102 said:

Only that if your goal is to slim a bloated squad on high wages then triggering a contracted 40% pay cut by relegation helps a lot. Theres lot of players who absent that cut wouldn't have been motivated to leave, and you obv can't cut wages unilaterally in the Prem. 

I'm not suggesting relegation was our first choice, but I do believe that this kind of consideration limited how hard we actually tried to stay up. 

we spent a fortune in January trying to stay up. The idea that we weren't totally committed, because it could help force some unwanted players out the door, seems a bit far fetched.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

Surprised to be honest, but he's looked pretty solid when called upon. Got to wonder what his reflexes are like these days and how quickly he comes off his line.

Does that mean the youngsters Wright and Bycroft are not seen as ready/good enough to be third choice? Or maybe McCarthy and Lis are both off?

Baz, McCarthy, Lis, Willy, Wright, Bycroft...

4 minutes ago, Chez said:

Surprised to be honest, but he's looked pretty solid when called upon. Got to wonder what his reflexes are like these days and how quickly he comes off his line.

Does that mean the youngsters Wright and Bycroft are not seen as ready/good enough to be third choice? Or maybe McCarthy and Lis are both off?

Baz, McCarthy, Lis, Willy, Wright, Bycroft...

I’m a surprised although I believe he’s been mentoring and coaching Bazunu. Lis was a weird signing and McCarthy seems to be getting worse, hopefully they’re both off and we bring in a decent keeper to compete with Bazunu

1 hour ago, Rich102 said:

I'm not suggesting relegation was our first choice, but I do believe that this kind of consideration limited how hard we actually tried to stay up. Not just based on the decisions we made (Selles as much as Jones) but also all these weird board statements about the gap between Prem and Championship being smaller than people think etc. These people clearly believe they can and need to break and remould the club - that's much easier to do now. 

It would of been a fantastic plan if we hadn’t of spent 200m to try to stave off relegation and, in the case of relegation stand to lose a minimum of about £130m a year in revenue

I think, despite the fact they accelerated the decent due to ineffective leadership and decisions, they knew we were in for a bottom half scrap this season, hence the rhetoric around similarities between Prem snd Champ

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Please, please, please…not fucking Liverpool! Anywhere but Liverpool. 🤢🤮🤬

Don't care where he goes if we get good money. Its not like we will have to watch him playing against us. BTW I loathe Liverpool