Summer Transfer Window 2023

FarehamSaintJames

11 hours ago, Ivan Katalinic's 'tache said:

Can't he work remotely, so he doesn't have to move house? Perhaps kick a ball around Swansea while his new team-mates are at St Mary's in a ground-breaking new (presumably data-led) Saints initiative? We've played with less than 11 players for a couple of years now, with Elyounoussi, Walcott, Djenepo and others in the team, so those that remain will be used to this...

If he punts it over the bar in his local park hard enough (Ché style) he might actually reach SMS. 😉

5 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Someone on Twitter just said Caleb Watts was once the next big thing?

What the fuck? On what planet? He was just a younger untried player! 😂

He had one decent 5 mins of a (I think it was cup) game where he showed a bit of attacking pace. Beyond that he’s only been half decent in FM.

10 hours ago, Chez said:

You get what you pay for. If I was looking for a Rice replacement, then I'd be looking at Lavia, not JWP.  

Get him interested?  I am pretty sure Lavia would be more than happy to move to West Ham, getting a huge pay rise in the process no doubt, rather than stay at Saints in the Championship.

I remember when Shaw signed for United and they knew they’d signed their left back for the next 12 years. I’m a tad surprised that remains accurate but I  do think Lavia would be a similar long term signing for the right team.

Edited by SNSUN

11 hours ago, SaintsFan86 said:

Surprised they can afford his wages, even with a cut. Maybe we didn't need to throw money at him to sign from torino. In terms of transfer fees, Vasco spent £3m on a player last summer, but before that it was almost all free transfers.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Chez said:

Surprised they can afford his wages, even with a cut. Maybe we didn't need to throw money at him to sign from torino. In terms of transfer fees, Vasco spent £3m on a player last summer, but before that it was almost all free transfers.

Is it going to be one of those "oh, we'll still pay half his wages, and let you have him for next to nothing" sort of deals that Saints seem to love doing? The owners have said we're not desperate to sell anyone, so if we're getting next to nothing out of it, we might as well keep him. Whilst he's quite erratic(!) how much would it cost to get a replacement of similar 'quality'? Probably a lot more than Vasco de Gama would give us I'd guess!!

1 hour ago, disconnect said:

Is it going to be one of those "oh, we'll still pay half his wages, and let you have him for next to nothing" sort of deals that Saints seem to love doing? The owners have said we're not desperate to sell anyone, so if we're getting next to nothing out of it, we might as well keep him. Whilst he's quite erratic(!) how much would it cost to get a replacement of similar 'quality'? Probably a lot more than Vasco de Gama would give us I'd guess!!

Not sure. If there is an obligation to buy, then they must be able to afford his wages going forward. Those wages must be relatively low, as there is fuck all money in Brazilian football right now. 

He hasn't got game time, so from his point of view, he will be probably be keen for a move. 

I wonder how many games he will need to play. We'll be keeping an eye on that all season.

14 hours ago, CSA96 said:

Thank fuck. That’ll do, get rid.

It's a game of opinions, but I think he'd be brilliant in the Championship. It's probably his level. He was great against the bindippers on the final day too. Still, if we get Ronnie Edwards from Peterborough, fair swap. He looks the business.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, LaptopSaint said:

It's a game of opinions, but I think he'd be brilliant in the Championship. It's probably his level. He was great against the bindippers on the final day too. Still, if we get Ronnie Edwards from Peterborough, fair swap. He looks the business.

He doesn't do the basics of defending. In the Championship you need CBs who can turn in reliable performances three times a week and can hold a particular level.

He can't do that.

• Like 1

Spurs offering £50m for Maddison and Barnes according to the Mail. Those fuckers don't half take the piss with their low ball bids. Another potential JWP destination disappearing ...possibly?

• Haha 2

32 minutes ago, Dusic said:

He doesn't do the basics of defending. In the Championship you need CBs who can turn in reliable performances three times a week and can hold a particular level.

He can't do that.

Just having a guy you can reply on to win headers from opposing corners etc would be a start. He doesn't boss things. On the flip side, he has the ball skills to allow us to play out from the back, but what's the point if we concede lots of set piece goals.

I’ve said before…our main problem last season was a lack of goals scored rather than those conceded. With the attacking pace of most other teams, coupled with the style of football we played which led to too many turnovers in midfield, it was inevitable we would concede a few. But given the number of 1-0 defeats that would have not been so much of an issue if our attacking prowess was a lot better. I know this probably doesn’t sit right with some here, but Lyanco was most definitely not the reason we were relegated.

Edited by Saint Fan CaM
  • Like 9

I don't know Caicedo's game very well but given the amount he's valued at Lavia is surely better value.  His ceiling is so high as well but I guess the downside is whether he'll take a couple of years to get to a similar level.  Still hopeful we can get £50m min for him

I wonder if the Arse are preparing for not having Partey available if they want both Rice & Lavia.  

Edited by Barsiem

Yep this is an old trick we’ve fallen for many a time, it’s normally Italian sides who entice you with a good fee at the end of a loan deal, a fee they never intend to keep to…

it would be better to agree a deal for £3m outright.

• Like 1

It's kind of tricky. We clearly need to utterly kill the wage bill....that is surely a huge priority. So, not "fire sale" but "smouldering sale"...we might know the 10 or so player we want to get rid of and the 5-10 we want to keep, but we need to rebalance fast....so even if we wanted to keep Lyanco, we might just take the option ot save wages....

• Like 1

I'd have thought we'd be parting with ABK and Salisu before Lyanco. Very possibly Bednarek and Stephens (to B'Mouth) too.

They're no way of knowing when offers are going to come in for anyone, but I was seeing him getting matches next season.

If he's keen to leave, and the offer suits us then fine. But if he'd like to stay, I'd rather him than a few others who clearly don't.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

I'd have thought we'd be parting with ABK and Salisu before Lyanco. Very possibly Bednarek and Stephens (to B'Mouth) too.

They're no way of knowing when offers are going to come in for anyone, but I was seeing him getting matches next season.

If he's keen to leave, and the offer suits us then fine. But if he'd like to stay, I'd rather him than a few others who clearly don't.

It’s remarkable to think we have 6 centre-backs and all 6 could realistically depart.

• Like 2

And to be fair any of the 6 would probably be fine for the championship. I’m not especially attached to any of them so don’t mind which of them leave - obviously expect Salisu to go for sure. I like Lyanco’s attitude etc but he’s probably the least competent of the 6

Jwp 

Salisu 

ABK 

KWP 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Lavia 

Tella

Those are probably our eight best players - with the exception of Salisu and Tella maybe. I'd be very surprised if we let all of them leave and happy if any one of them stayed for the championship. Even a couple of them staying would make a big difference. My expectation is that any one of them could leave so it's not overly disappointing if any of them do. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Like you say, we can't dictate when offers will come in. Everyone expects us to bring in a fortune from our `star players', but until that actually happens, each offer for our lessor players needs to be carefully considered both fro a football and financial point of view as we do need to get some of the £130m we have spent back and to reduce the wage bill.

Edited by Chez

26 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Jwp 

Salisu 

ABK 

KWP 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Lavia 

Tella

Those are probably our eight best players - with the exception of Salisu and Tella maybe. I'd be very surprised if we let all of them leave and happy if any one of them stayed for the championship. Even a couple of them staying would make a big difference. My expectation is that any one of them could leave so it's not overly disappointing if any of them do. 

Let's hope you're right - that we don't let all of them leave.    The two I have hoped would realistically stay are Alcaraz and Sulemana; but the signs are that both may go.

32 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Jwp 

Salisu 

ABK 

KWP 

Alcaraz 

Sulemana 

Lavia 

Tella

Agree with that.  You could probably add Adams in as well.  I know he's not great but he'll probably be a better than average striker in the Championship.  Of them I'd say Alcaraz, Sulemana and Tella are the ones we have the most realistic chance of keeping.  Alcaraz and Sulemana because they only arrived in January so they'd have known relegation was a realistic possibility.  I don't see many clubs offering us our money back on Sulemana anyway and with Tella it really depends on whether Burnley will risk 20M. 

August isn't going to be much fun - suspect at least half of that lot will still be here and we'll be waiting on bids before we know whether or not we need to replace them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, Chez said:

Like you say, we can't dictate when offers will come in. Everyone expects us to bring in a fortune from our `star players', but until that actually happens, each offer for our lessor players needs to be carefully considered both fro a football and financial point of view as we do need to get some of the £130m we have spent back and to reduce the wage bill.

Larger deals may take more time to put together, or bigger clubs first few choices don't work out.

Just our luck we get big offers very late on for the likes of ABK and Salisu and we've already sold Lyanco and Stephens, leaving us scrambling around for replacements ourselves.  🙂 Of course we don;t have to agree to those late offers, but we probably would.

So, there are lots of plates spinning, and the club have a duty to give the new manager every chance. It may be that we have to put bids for Lyanco on the back burner, until we're sure if he's going to be needed or not.

If we agree to every deal coming in, we could end up with gaps in there (which would come as no shock to any of us) at the end of the window.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

It’s remarkable to think we have 6 centre-backs and all 6 could realistically depart.

Fingers crossed!

Whole new revamp needed at CB and CM. No better time to do it. The desire to keep any of these failed defenders (ABK aside who is the most obvious one to leave) is bizarre let alone the claims for one of them to be captain. 

14 minutes ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Larger deals may take more time to put together, or bigger clubs first few choices don't work out.

Just our luck we get big offers very late on for the likes of ABK and Salisu and we've already sold Lyanco and Stephens, leaving us scrambling around for replacements ourselves.  🙂 Of course we don;t have to agree to those late offers, but we probably would.

So, there are lots of plates spinning, and the club have a duty to give the new manager every chance. It may be that we have to put bids for Lyanco on the back burner, until we're sure if he's going to be needed or not.

If we agree to every deal coming in, we could end up with gaps in there (which would come as no shock to any of us) at the end of the window.

Lots of plates spinning is absolutely spot on. It is going to be a very difficult summer.

One issue is if you turn down an early offer, then that buying club doesn't come back later - they may have moved on to other targets. 

It would be great if we could get a few that don't want be here like Salisu and Orsic out the door early. Likewise, the premium guys like Lavia and JWP, which would balance the books and really help us understand what budget we have to play with and how strong we can be with other offers for other players.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Lots of plates spinning is absolutely spot on. It is going to be a very difficult summer.

One issue is if you turn down an early offer, then that buying club doesn't come back later - they may have moved on to other targets. 

It would be great if we could get a few that don't want be here like Salisu and Orsic out the door early. Likewise, the premium guys like Lavia and JWP, which would balance the books and really help us understand what budget we have to play with and how strong we can be with other offers for other players.

Absolutely. But tough to be pushing those premium players, we expect to go to big clubs, while at the same time holding out for the biggest possible fee. 🙂

Welome to SR's Football Auction: accepting bids for premium players - to end of June; Want aways - to mid July; Squad players -end of July. Lunatic final offers up to a week before window SLAMS shut only.

If only everything were nice and organised.

The future's more likely to be...

Rasmus: I know fans will be disapointed that our smug predictions of getting a striker in, have not materialised, while we've also moved on Che. But we're sure the random 11 remaining squad members will fit into our their new positions along with the 12 promoted under 18s and do their very best for the new manager. Whoever that happnes to be and whenever they happen to arrive. 🙂

2 hours ago, revolution saint said:

Agree with that.  You could probably add Adams in as well.  I know he's not great but he'll probably be a better than average striker in the Championship.  Of them I'd say Alcaraz, Sulemana and Tella are the ones we have the most realistic chance of keeping.  Alcaraz and Sulemana because they only arrived in January so they'd have known relegation was a realistic possibility.  I don't see many clubs offering us our money back on Sulemana anyway and with Tella it really depends on whether Burnley will risk 20M. 

August isn't going to be much fun - suspect at least half of that lot will still be here and we'll be waiting on bids before we know whether or not we need to replace them.

Good point I'd forgotten Adams. That's 9 then and I really don't think we will be selling them all. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Holmes_and_Watson said:

Absolutely. But tough to be pushing those premium players, we expect to go to big clubs, while at the same time holding out for the biggest possible fee. 🙂

Welome to SR's Football Auction: accepting bids for premium players - to end of June; Want aways - to mid July; Squad players -end of July. Lunatic final offers up to a week before window SLAMS shut only.

If only everything were nice and organised.

The future's more likely to be...

Rasmus: I know fans will be disapointed that our smug predictions of getting a striker in, have not materialised, while we've also moved on Che. But we're sure the random 11 remaining squad members will fit into our their new positions along with the 12 promoted under 18s and do their very best for the new manager. Whoever that happnes to be and whenever they happen to arrive. 🙂

Thinking about it, maybe we will have to sell one of Lavia or jwp for slightly less than we want in order to go e us some financial certainty and allow us to stand firm on some of the others. 

2 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

Thinking about it, maybe we will have to sell one of Lavia or jwp for slightly less than we want in order to go e us some financial certainty and allow us to stand firm on some of the others. 

That one crossed my mind. But if the fee is known, then other clubs may well feel that they can get other players more cheaply, and talks stall when we adopt our former stance.

It's not likely to please any of us either to see the first player out the door for a significantly lower amount.

But then, I don't know how much SR have to recoup in the summer to offset the relegation or if we have more leeway with our owner's deeper pockets.

If we only get Tottenham style bids for our players who have time to run on their contracts, do they have to go? Or can we just get as much as we can for the load of others who are nearly out of contract or shown not to be worth keeping.

Spin plates, spin.. 🙂

11 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

See, we DO need a fan on the board! 

But seriously, would love it so much if Jose returned. Unfinished business. 

For a season, and very realistic average wage, potentially. It’s 50/50 for me but also stinks of a theo walcott esque return. 

Thus, if we learn our lesson. One season, promotion (out with a bang). Don’t renew the contract. 

15 minutes ago, niceandfriendly said:

If he’s still got it then he could do a very useful job. 

IF 

We need to spend our IFs on players who will improve not get worse.

Jose top player for us but not what we need, he never had pace and to be honest was paired with some awesome CBs in his time here which maybe helped his performance.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nolan said:

Fonte is 39.

I'd be very happy with him as a coach. But since 2000 only 22 players have played in the Championship when over the age of 39.

As a coach would be great, but not as a player. Remember him playing at his best, would hate that memory to be destroyed.

• Like 3