Russell Martin

LegalEagle

48 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Some reports saying the Man City assistant is getting it instead now 😂

Maresca or Borrell?  I think at last count Guardiola had about 18 assistant coaches so it could be pot luck - fish in a barrel for Ankersen with Dragan's cash, imagine the spreadsheet.  Now, that would be a genuine clusterfuck, but you have to say very Sports Republic Saintsy.

42 minutes ago, the saint in winchester said:

No to any assistant who has watched the manager perform and now thinks "hey I could do that".

I have concerns about Russell Martin, but he has the experience. Let's not give the job to an assistant, kit man or tea lady just because they were at Man City and have golddust on their clothes.

https://talksport.com/football/1306867/pep-guardiola-mikel-arteta-arsenal-barcelona-vincent-kompany-burnley/#:~:text=Three people who have learnt,the way in the Championship.

Would be foolish to dismiss anyone who has spent significant time learning from Pep imo.

4 hours ago, SwansFan said:

I would echo all the thoughts of Wyn.

He could do well for you purely on the basis that you're probably going to have a great squad. Alternatively, he could be gone by Christmas. The fact that he has been given a shot at a job like this staggers me quite frankly given his record.

That hasn't gone amiss with many of us to be honest.

We hope we've pulled off a masterstroke and found a gem, but with their track record over the last 18 months doesn't inspire confidence.

Thanks to you and Wyn for the views. Much of what you say sounds all too familiar to us unfortunately.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Yep.thankfully that decision was made. Worked out well didn’t it. 

He promoted us two seasons in a row while you whined like a little bitch.

It was absolutely delicious.

Such a shame you hated every second of it x x x x 

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

It is, but they are taking their time making a formal announcement. Are they waiting for the official end of the season or is this appointment not quite as done as dusted as it seemed?

Sounds a bit like Chelsea. Can we have another go for Potts….🤣🤣🤣

1 hour ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

It is, but they are taking their time making a formal announcement. Are they waiting for the official end of the season or is this appointment not quite as done as dusted as it seemed?

Jesse Marsch was supposed to be done and dusted . . .

1 hour ago, CB Fry said:

He promoted us two seasons in a row while you whined like a little bitch.

It was absolutely delicious.

Such a shame you hated every second of it x x x x 

Trust me. I enjoyed the promotions…but it was a travesty that we didn’t win either of the league titles. 
it was incompetent to fall short with all he had at his disposal. 
I knew that…and so did the club.  
I only showed my dismay after the fact,like any self respecting fan should’ve done. 
get over it. 
he failed. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, SwansFan said:

He is also very very stubborn both in terms of moving away from a formation and having his favourite/non favourite players. One player he may well go after who is out of contract is Joel Latibaudiere. He is a bang average championship squad player imo but Martin absolutely adores him for his attitude, etc. If he's starting more than a dozen games for you though, you'll probably be in trouble. He is one of Martin's disciples. As is Grimes.

Oh shit.

image.thumb.png.19d82d22e737b970b4da52d20c9cce7d.png

• Haha 2

16 minutes ago, saint lard said:

Trust me. I enjoyed the promotions…but it was a travesty that we didn’t win either of the league titles. 
I only showed my dismay after the fact,like any self respecting fan should’ve done. 
get over it. 
he failed. 

Shut up you dopey old tart

• Like 4

1 hour ago, saint lard said:

get over it. 
he failed. 

Stop trying to proclaim that this view is somewhat reflective of all 'self respecting fans'.

It isn't. It's a view only held by a single person on the internet who seems to have a very, very odd vendetta against someone he will never meet.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Stop trying to proclaim that this view is somewhat reflective of all 'self respecting fans'.

It isn't. It's a view only held by a single person on the internet who seems to have a very, very odd vendetta against someone he will never meet.

The saddest thing is, he's Nigel's Dad. 

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, saint lard said:

get over it. 
he failed. 

Back to back promotions was a failure 😂

You are an absolute melt 

16 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So we're getting in Russell Ruben Martin then. A clone of our last clown.

Possession 

Slow walking pace

Calamitous goals conceded

Doesn't change and favours average players no matter what. 

Great, just fucking great!

You haven’t watched us under Selles if you think we’re possession based. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

So we're getting in Russell Ruben Martin then. A clone of our last clown.

Possession 

Slow walking pace

Calamitous goals conceded

Doesn't change and favours average players no matter what. 

Great, just fucking great!

Seems you've watched Saints the same amount as the other fuckwits who think we played "possession" football under Selles. 

We haven't played possession football since Puel. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, Farmer Saint said:

Seems you've watched Saints the same amount as the other fuckwits who think we played "possession" football under Selles. 

We haven't played possession football since Puel. 

We played like shit with Selles and this guy sounds shit too. I bet Leeds and Leicester end up with decent coaches.

Mid table with Swansea and what sounds like fans who are happy to see the back of him.

Rasmus: take my money! 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, OttawaSaint said:

I don't really care. I'm sure we'll all enjoy the walking pace football and calamitous mistakes. Such a refreshing change!

What is your problem with him then? You were pretty clear that you are against this style of football as we've played it under Selles, but we haven't.

So, why are you against him before he's even in the door?

I appreciate he's not the name many wanted, but guys like Potter were never an option as much as people wanted to believe. 

My feeling is that the club have lost it's identity, conflicting views from the top down on how we play and who we recruit - nothing actually lines up. If we have a football strategy that is lined up with the recruitment, scouting and manager then there is more chance of success.

We either spit our dummy's out and jump up and down for 6 months whenever he doesn't get a result, or we forget this year, forget Jones, forget Selles and reset ourselves as much as the club will reset it's self. It's a chance for a fresh start for everyone, don't carry over the crap from last season into next - look at it with fresh eyes.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

What is your problem with him then? You were pretty clear that you are against this style of football as we've played it under Selles, but we haven't.

I appreciate he's not the name many wanted, but guys like Potter were never an option as much as people wanted to believe. 

My feeling is that the club have lost it's identity, conflicting views from the top down on how we play and who we recruit - nothing actually lines up. If we have a football strategy that is lined up with the recruitment, scouting and manager then there is more chance of success.

We either spit our dummy's out and jump up and down for 6 months whenever he doesn't get a result, or we forget this year, forget Jones, forget Selles and reset ourselves as much as the club will reset it's self. It's a chance for a fresh start for everyone, don't carry over the crap from last season into next - look at it with fresh eyes.

Fair enough, as long as we get a reset but I'm dubious they've learned their lesson.

Time will tell I guess. I'm just a bit fed up after the Jones and Selles debacle. 

Just now, OttawaSaint said:

Fair enough, as long as we get a reset but I'm dubious they've learned their lesson.

Time will tell I guess. I'm just a bit fed up after the Jones and Selles debacle. 

This is what I mean, our feelings have been totally tainted by Jones - understandably, but I think we've got to give Martin a chance to put his mark down here. Personally I just want to forget this year ever happened and get behind a successful side next year.

For all their crappy decisions, SR are well intentioned in my opinion - i've always thought that, we just have to put our faith in them getting this summer right, and to their credit they've started to make changes very quickly rather than dallying.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, OttawaSaint said:

We played like shit with Selles and this guy sounds shit too. I bet Leeds and Leicester end up with decent coaches.

Mid table with Swansea and what sounds like fans who are happy to see the back of him.

Rasmus: take my money! 

What money ?? Sat behind your keyboard!

13 hours ago, SwansFan said:

I would echo all the thoughts of Wyn.

It is definitely very often possession for the sake of it with very little being created. There were games when we'd have around 70% possession and a handful of shots on target. I think we played Stoke at home and had 3 shots on target in the second half (we were losing at half time) with 73% possession. Russ would come out after that and say that we outplayed them.

His time with us has been characterised by good runs of form and bad runs of form. It seems like once we've got going, we've looked excellent but then we've had a poor result and gone on a bad run and gone back to old ways. I think last season we were pretty much top of the form table, then bottom and then top again. We were looking really good up until a couple of games before the World Cup, then went on a run where we won 3 times in around 20 league games but then finished off with 7 wins and 2 draws from our last 9. There was no real reason for any of this - no injuries to key players coinciding with bad runs of form, etc.

He is also very very stubborn both in terms of moving away from a formation and having his favourite/non favourite players. One player he may well go after who is out of contract is Joel Latibaudiere. He is a bang average championship squad player imo but Martin absolutely adores him for his attitude, etc. If he's starting more than a dozen games for you though, you'll probably be in trouble. He is one of Martin's disciples. As is Grimes.

The club is full of bullshit slogans, etc. which he trots out on a regular basis. Courage and Bravery was a favourite of his, despite us being bottom of the league for blocked shots, blocked crosses, etc. You would rarely see players put their body on the line so presumably he was referring to the suicidal passing around the back that he insisted on, despite the fact we must have conceded half a dozen goals at least from it last season. It's always stuff like them being True to Themselves, Playing their Own Game.. blah blag. Management speak central.

He is also very, very good at the PR game. I've never seen so many dressing room/behind the scenes videos since he came in. It's as if he is also in charge of what goes out on twitter. All playing into a narrative. Wyn mentioned the crap keeper, Andy Fisher (who he signed from MK Dons) - he probably made a major gaff every other game and as soon as he kept a clean sheet Twitter was full of compilation videos of his (very routine) saves from the game. The propaganda from the club has been extraordinary at times.

We posted a video before the first home game of last season against Blackburn with Russ talking about us keeping the ball in that match and running them ragged. "At some point, guess what? They're not gonna be able to run anymore" We lost 3-0. And we lost up there later in the season to an injury time winner.

He messed up his substitution windows against Birmingham this season and we played the last 20 mins with 10 men (at 2-1 up). I don't think he knew the rules. We fell apart and lost 3-2.

He has also had a good relationship with the local press. I am guessing he uses his charm to cuddle up to them. Whilst we were on that run of 3 wins in 20odd games, he was getting questions about when he was signing a new contract. Anyone else would be getting questioned on his future. The one time someone did aim a slightly critical observation, the mask slipped a bit and he was quite nasty.

It seems like he has an ideology of how football should be played and if you don't agree with that, you're wrong. He seems to look down his nose at goals we've conceded from a corner or a long ball, etc. Almost like it somehow doesn't count.

He is very much your modern manager - loves stats, big on players mental health, big on the players enjoying it being the most important thing. At one point he said during a press conference "I am trying my best but that's not enough for some people" - well, it's a results business, Russell! He is big on it being a "process" yet doesn't define what that process is. Given how much he has chopped and changed here at times makes me think it's just a way to buy him more time.

Interestingly, the fanbase seems to be (generally) split between the older and the younger fans in terms of Martin's popularity. The 20 somethings think he's some sort of god. If you're old enough to have enjoyed Martinez or Rodgers you think differently.

He could do well for you purely on the basis that you're probably going to have a great squad. Alternatively, he could be gone by Christmas. The fact that he has been given a shot at a job like this staggers me quite frankly given his record.

I am personally glad to see the back of the insufferable prick. My only concern is who we'll get in to replace him.

Thanks for the write up mate.

anyone else concerned this sounds a little like our welsh mining feller?

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

A fresh start with a manager who seems to have plenty of flaws according to the fans of the club he is leaving? Sounds ominous enough to be very concerned the club is making another bad error that won’t be rectified by looking at it with fresh eyes. 

7 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

This is what I mean, our feelings have been totally tainted by Jones - understandably, but I think we've got to give Martin a chance to put his mark down here. Personally I just want to forget this year ever happened and get behind a successful side next year.

For all their crappy decisions, SR are well intentioned in my opinion - i've always thought that, we just have to put our faith in them getting this summer right, and to their credit they've started to make changes very quickly rather than dallying.

Of course they are well-intentioned, they have invested far too much to be anything else. I understand we are all fed up, I comprehend the rallying calls urging us to get behind Martin, but the reality is we are about to appoint an inexperienced manager who has a reputation of playing meaningless possession football as well as being stubborn over certain favourites. If we only believe half of what the two Swansea fans have told us on here then it looks like we are about to make a giant leap from the fireplace into the fire. 
This is not the right time to make an implausible leap of faith. The club has just experienced its worst-ever season in its history in terms of points per games. We desperately need a steady hand, a sensible pragmatic manager who can rebuild the shattered morale of the players and the fans. Martin is not that man. I suspect the fans will have had enough by Xmas. Saints supporters have always appreciated good football as much as they have victories, but by all accounts, we are about to appoint a man who is consumed by tactics that sends everyone to sleep. The club is at the crossroads. The right path needs to be chosen but the well-intentioned owners do not seem, in my opinion, to have what it takes to make the right decision. 

Edited by Fitzhugh Fella
Spelling
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Saint Keef said:

So, apparently the rumour is, we're getting one of the Manchester City Coaches......

52 seats, Very comfortable. low mileage. Toilet on board. TV. Long MOT......Nice!

Cool, park it in front of the goal and we put may concede fewer next season.

• Like 1

I think the club should’ve gone all out on a Graham Potter type manager (yes people still moaning he wouldn’t come), but let’s be realistic, money talks, with the right offer you could entice anyone to do a job for you.

Attrcat a good manager > sell a higher proportion of season tickets > get bums on seats > get a strong home atmosphere and backing to the players.

I just have fears of Russell Martin being Claude Puel MKII. Lots of possession but not entirely attractive, and too safe.

17 minutes ago, Fitzhugh Fella said:

Of course they are well-intentioned, they have invested far too much to be anything else. I understand we are all fed up, I comprehend the rallying calls urging us to get behind Martin, but the reality is we are about to appoint an inexperienced manager who has a reputation of playing meaningless possession football as well as being stubborn over certain favourites. If we only believe half of what the two Swansea fans have told us on here then it looks like we are about to make a giant leap from the fireplace into the fire. 
This is not the right time to make an implausible leap of faith. The club has just experienced its worst-ever season in its history in terms of points per games. We desperately need a steady hand, a sensible pragmatic manager who can rebuild the shattered morale of the players and the fans. Martin is not that man. I suspect the fans will have had enough by Xmas. Saints supporters have always appreciated good football as much as they have victories, but by all accounts, we are about to appoint a man who is consumed by tactics that sends everyone to sleep. The club is at the crossroads. The right path needs to be chosen but the well-intentioned owners do not seem, in my opinion, to have what it takes to make the right decision. 

“Meaningless possession football” - his team scored the joint fourth most goals last season, hardly meaningless is it. It’s also reasonable to assume that we’ll have a better squad of players than he had at his disposable at Swansea.

Club have identified a possession style, as this gives us the best chance of breaking down the many teams that will just sit back against us and defend next season.

Its also nice to see there might actually be a strategy that will align between Wilcox, Manager and hopefully players we sign, something that has been missing since SR came in.

Will Martin be the right choice? Who knows, none of us do. But posts like yours, citing sacked by Xmas and out of frying pan into fire, are just weird (and unhelpful) when he’s not even in the building yet. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

I think the club should’ve gone all out on a Graham Potter type manager (yes people still moaning he wouldn’t come), but let’s be realistic, money talks, with the right offer you could entice anyone to do a job for you.

Attrcat a good manager > sell a higher proportion of season tickets > get bums on seats > get a strong home atmosphere and backing to the players.

I just have fears of Russell Martin being Claude Puel MKII. Lots of possession but not entirely attractive, and too safe.

You know those two blokes on Twitter that you constantly mention and criticise ‘with controversial opinions’? You sound like them.

• Like 1