Russell Martin

LegalEagle

Lots of good points above.

Mowbray knew the flaws in Martin's set up. If everyone knows how to exploit us before kick off, then, in the end, it's another Ralph situation. That's going to have to change. Martin was tactically outclassed by Mowbray from the very first second to the final whistle. That's going to hurt, and we'll see how he develops from that.

We repeatedly shot ourselves in the foot, in any attempts to prevent the flaws being punished.

As mentioned above, no cohesion and little structure. Pulled all over the place positionally, and therefore unable to implement any of the good things about Martin's tactics. Vulnerable on the counter; passing with no forward awareness/ incision/ purpose; posted missing on the flanks, and without the central structure to support centre players having to move to compensate for that; the full backs did little to support anywhere; out muscled because since our passing game failed, we were in a different contest that we always lost.

Lots of players having bad days, not helped by Martin, who sets them up that way and gives them those instructions. 

There's already a bit of pressure on the shoulders of Charles, who is going to have to deal with a lot as a defensive midfielder. Which is why some extra cover there, would have been nice. Downes/ Smallbone/ Stu/ Alcaraz et al can't perform the same function, from what I've seen. But there are a number of other issues too.

• Like 4

I have a horrible feeling Russel Martin is going to turn out to be a duff. Had doubts about him even when we scraped a few wins with last minute goals. Today was simply horrendous. Sunderland are not going to be the best team we play this season. 3 goals shipped v Gillingham, 4 v Norwich, 5 v sunderland. That is an indicator of serious problems.

As a club, why do we keep buying into managers with "methodologies" which are so easily countered by the opposition?

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

'We can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball.' That's the philosophy. 

The reality is, when we have the ball we don't create enough. And on the rare occasions where the opponent has it, they score almost immediately. 

Swansea fans warned us about this. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jamesfp1 said:

'We can't concede if the opponent doesn't have the ball.' That's the philosophy. 

The reality is, when we have the ball we don't create enough. And on the rare occasions where the opponent has it, they score almost immediately. 

Swansea fans warned us about this. 

We’ve pretty much blown that theory up. Teams that are successful with possession obsession football like Man City and Barcelona have the technical players to make it work, we don’t! RM is going to be more flexible and learn what works and what doesn’t with our squad. I like Martin and really hope he can be successful 🤞

Edited by Baz Fl
Add
  • Like 5

10 minutes ago, Baz Fl said:

We’ve pretty much blown that theory up. Teams that are successful with possession obsession football like Man City and Barcelona have the technical players to make it work, we don’t! RM is going to be more flexible and learn what works and what doesn’t with our squad. I like Martin and really hope he can be successful 🤞

Agreed

I’m hoping he is still working out the system and will be for a little while yet. My main worries are the lack of tempo with our passing, and when we lose possession how quickly the opposition over run our non existent midfield and defence, oh and keeper. The fact we do not have any tempo in possession seems to transfer into lacklustre defending when we lose the ball, as everything is so laboured and slow. 

Let’s hope this is a one off in terms of the score line, but the signs have been there since the start of the season (first half against Wednesday excluded) the laboured passing is fine when you are winning, but when you are 2/3 down you need to mix it up. 

• Like 2

Oh it was a nice touch today that he came over before kick off and applauded the away fans, this because we are on a good run and looking to keep momentum, but I’m still unsure about it. Should be focusing on his team and maybe the applause at the end. I don’t know maybe I’m being harsh, but he will make a rod for his own back if we are mid table come Christmas, does he keep coming over and face the flack, or stop coming over and get flack! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Oh it was a nice touch today that he came over before kick off and applauded the away fans, this because we are on a good run and looking to keep momentum, but I’m still unsure about it. Should be focusing on his team and maybe the applause at the end. I don’t know maybe I’m being harsh, but he will make a rod for his own back if we are mid table come Christmas, does he keep coming over and face the flack, or stop coming over and get flack! 

If we are mid table by Christmas, there is a good chance he won't be here to appauld the fans.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

If we are mid table by Christmas, there is a good chance he won't be here to appauld the fans.

You never know with this lot! But a very sane and fair point. 

Edited by Dr Who?

29 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I’m hoping he is still working out the system and will be for a little while yet. My main worries are the lack of tempo with our passing, and when we lose possession how quickly the opposition over run our non existent midfield and defence, oh and keeper. The fact we do not have any tempo in possession seems to transfer into lacklustre defending when we lose the ball, as everything is so laboured and slow. 

Let’s hope this is a one off in terms of the score line, but the signs have been there since the start of the season (first half against Wednesday excluded) the laboured passing is fine when you are winning, but when you are 2/3 down you need to mix it up. 

Yeah, when the team are trying for that 100 pass attack, it's natural that they would be slow to react when that breaks down, and they have to quickly switch to defend. Not helped by us often over committing players; frequently being out of position because we've shifted with all that short passing/ our fullbacks are tucked in to support; human errors from players not familiar with the system or even if they were, not being able to do anything about it. 

I think he knows the system, and it comes in built with a lot of the vulnerabilities we've seen. He's probably trying to get the players to play into it, so that they prevent those flaws being exploited and our strengths win the games. I don't know how well that worked for him previously, as I only look at where they finished.

We watched some lovely football under Ralph. But when it goes wrong, it goes wrong quickly and badly. That was today.

Mowbray knew what to do right from kickoff. He probably couldn't believe his luck that there were so many errors too. But some of those come from that system. We gave him a massive advantage. They knew how to pick us apart, and adjusted their game to suit, while we played to a possession style that we will play regardless of outcome. 

I'm sure Mowbray, when faced with a back 5 or fullbacks that aren't inverted, will know to adjust accordingly again. We will set out to play just the same, because Martin believes that overall, we will pick up more points that way. We can only hope that he's right, which is a lot to pin your season on, after a day like today. Deep breaths that he's learned a heck of a lot from it. 

9 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

Better he did it before kick off today, than after the game. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Man City are a superb team coached by one of the best. They have rich owners and have been able to assemble a squad of players we can only dream about. Their football is a joy to watch so it is admirable to aspire to play the sort of possession football they make look so easy. The problem for sides trying to emulate them is that it is far from simple. It's why few teams and certainly none in the Championship are brave enough to go down that route. My concern is that under RM we are in danger of trying to buck the trend and prove we can play in a way remotely similar to Man City - we can't and never will be able to. Let's not waste this talented squad of players trying. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AlexLaw76 said:

We are already paying Ralph and Mad Nate to do f-all....can't add another to that list

TruSt tHe pRoCEsS

Get Ralph back if he’s still on the payroll and buy him a striker - I think that was all he ever really needed. This “possession football” label is a load of bollocks and it’s shit to watch. Give me Ralphs high press over this tedious, slow, mistake ridden rubbish any day.

*Tongue firmly in cheek Duck!

Edited by Zorba
No posts left
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

26 minutes ago, saintant said:

Man City are a superb team coached by one of the best. They have rich owners and have been able to assemble a squad of players we can only dream about. Their football is a joy to watch so it is admirable to aspire to play the sort of possession football they make look so easy. The problem for sides trying to emulate them is that it is far from simple. It's why few teams and certainly none in the Championship are brave enough to go down that route. My concern is that under RM we are in danger of trying to buck the trend and prove we can play in a way remotely similar to Man City - we can't and never will be able to. Let's not waste this talented squad of players trying. 

Man City can play that way because they’ve got billions of money quite possibly the best manager of all time and some amazing players who would walk into most teams in the world. It’s an admirable aim but in the real world it’s not that simple 

If we’d played like we did today in the premier league it wouldn’t have been 5-0 it would have been 15-0.  

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Zorba said:

Get Ralph back if he’s still on the payroll and buy him a striker - I think that was all he ever really needed. This “possession football” label is a load of bollocks and it’s shit to watch. Give me Ralphs high press over this tedious, slow  mistake ridden rubbish any day.

Yeah, that’s the answer. 

• Like 1

Possession for possessions sake? 🤔

Some basic stats from the league games so far…

Match No.

Possession %

Shots

Shots on Target

Corners

Goals For

Goals Against

Total

-

Average

Scoring 2 goals a game from an average of 70.6% possession, but conceding 2.2 goals a game from 29.4% possession for the opposition.

It’s still relatively early days, but the theory that the opposition cannot score if they don’t have the ball is not holding very true at present. Having the majority of your possession in your own and the middle third probably doesn’t help either.

• Like 2

So we need the coach who was described as being infuriatingly and maddeningly stubborn and set in his ways to change.

And we sought this coach out. Deliberately. 

He says to trust the process because better coaches can succeed. He can't improve because in his mind he is doing it the only way there is.

• Like 2

I like what we do on the ball. Yesterday the line up was wrong. I'm confident that once all our forwards are available and settled and we have people in their correct position we will score plenty of goals.

We have also added some height to the squad with Ross Stewart and THB. Again, once we set up with our best XI we should be OK at set pieces.

Aside from individual errors, the big issue, which has been obvious in pretty much every match is the lack of midfield cover for the back 4. Simply, our midfield is too high as a unit. We absolutely need to calm it down and have someone goal side of the ball at all times. Being turned over and having all midfielders the wrong side of the ball really isn't acceptable (unless there's a couple of minutes left and we're chasing the game).

We need Charles to sit deep. We need Downes or Smallbone to also play disciplined and then we can have Alcaraz or whoever charging beyond the forwards. 

• Like 22

19 minutes ago, benjii said:

I like what we do on the ball. Yesterday the line up was wrong. I'm confident that once all our forwards are available and settled and we have people in their correct position we will score plenty of goals.

We have also added some height to the squad with Ross Stewart and THB. Again, once we set up with our best XI we should be OK at set pieces.

Aside from individual errors, the big issue, which has been obvious in pretty much every match is the lack of midfield cover for the back 4. Simply, our midfield is too high as a unit. We absolutely need to calm it down and have someone goal side of the ball at all times. Being turned over and having all midfielders the wrong side of the ball really isn't acceptable (unless there's a couple of minutes left and we're chasing the game).

We need Charles to sit deep. We need Downes or Smallbone to also play disciplined and then we can have Alcaraz or whoever charging beyond the forwards. 

Nice summary Benji. I was disappointed to see Charles on the bench as he has been by MOM for the past 2 matches. He seems to be the only midfielder we possess who is happy to defend, he is also good aerially in both boxes. For me, he is a permanent starter at DM or CB if we are short (certainly more capable than Holgate) 

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, lambtiss said:

Nice summary Benji. I was disappointed to see Charles on the bench as he has been by MOM for the past 2 matches. He seems to be the only midfielder we possess who is happy to defend, he is also good aerially in both boxes. For me, he is a permanent starter at DM or CB if we are short (certainly more capable than Holgate) 

Once again we are in the position where we only have one 19 year old Defensive Midfielder to rely on. 

I agree he’s a good player, but Martin needs to fix the system so that the midfield are actually present. That was some of the worst team defending I have ever seen yesterday. 

For all the talk of the team being unsettled etc., Sunderland went through exactly the same and also have a load of injuries.
Did we see any of their players mincing about? No. They got stuck in and took it to us.  

Maybe we appointed the wrong Mowbray 

• Like 4

On a purely objective level, SR, Wilcox et al have stated multiple times that the aim this year is promotion and I don’t think they meant via the play offs. Today was a shit show, no question. RM needs to reflect, adjust and improve our defensive performance in particular. But if this keeps happening and we find ourselves mid table or worse by Christmas, then I genuinely think SR will pull the trigger. You can have all the alignment and pure footballing philosophy you like, but if we don’t win games, we ain’t getting promoted and I genuinely can’t see SR allowing that to happen

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Why does anyone think RM will learn, this is his way, doesn't matter if you rely on stats or your eyes the shape is awful, it's also on him for playing a un match fit cb, bad enough the club saw MH as an option. Trying to be to clever with the hipster inverted fullbacks , what is wrong with a solid 4231, there is then always an option of someone dropping in and not being caught out like yesterday, that was like a kids game, RM was a pretty shit defender in his time and that seems to me where his managerial career is going, Also I know he has to say it but to announce Baz as best keeper in league is ludicrous and deluded as fu** if that's what the above think then I fear there's no hope for us, just a mid championship side pottering on trying to be to clever

• Like 6
  • Confused 1

A lot went horribly wrong yesterday to state the bleeding obvious. One thing which rang alarm bells loud and clear to me was the way we allowed Sunderland to break on us from our own corner kicks. The first time it happened I thought to myself that it was naive in the extreme but not long after we did it again. Surely it is not beyond the wit of RM and our coaching staff to make certain we have enough defensive cover to stop that happening. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, saintant said:

A lot went horribly wrong yesterday to state the bleeding obvious. One thing which rang alarm bells loud and clear to me was the way we allowed Sunderland to break on us from our own corner kicks. The first time it happened I thought to myself that it was naive in the extreme but not long after we did it again. Surely it is not beyond the wit of RM and our coaching staff to make certain we have enough defensive cover to stop that happening. 

Next game will be his biggest test so far. He needs to find a way to make us look defensively solid with a decent crop of players available. 

For probably 2 seasons now we've looked like conceding every time the opposition attacks. Can't remember the last solid defensive peformance. 

17 minutes ago, saintant said:

It’s a good point. In the club post-match interview (more candid than other broadcast media interviews I feel) RM is fuming about how we took the corner (Mara) before we were set up allowing them to break. He clearly recognises it and doesn’t get why players didn’t follow instructions. 

1 hour ago, InvictaSaint said:

On a purely objective level, SR, Wilcox et al have stated multiple times that the aim this year is promotion and I don’t think they meant via the play offs. Today was a shit show, no question. RM needs to reflect, adjust and improve our defensive performance in particular. But if this keeps happening and we find ourselves mid table or worse by Christmas, then I genuinely think SR will pull the trigger. You can have all the alignment and pure footballing philosophy you like, but if we don’t win games, we ain’t getting promoted and I genuinely can’t see SR allowing that to happen

SR will not muck about. If we are clearly off the automatic places come December I am sure they will act.

The investment and the squad is top two, they are not here to be bimbling around in 5th to 8th.

I remember arguing with a couple of people on here when Jones was appointed and them telling me that SR will stick with Jones for the long term, even if we got relegated Jones would still be manager.

Obviously this was nonsence and the same will apply here. Russell Martin has been employed to get promoted this season. Not to build a long term project, not to create "green shoots" or "build a foundation".

Get. Promoted. Now.

He's got pressure he's never had before, but he's got players and resources he's never had before.

Let's hope we look back on yesterday as the wake up call and the turning point. 

• Like 9

I’d love to know who in the club are interviewing these managers, what brief they have set and what they are looking for in terms of matching that brief. 

Seems to me we are just listening to a load of Boll&£”s and flipping a coin.

That is a big worry if the people at the top don’t know what Southampton FC should look like. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I still reckon we will be fine and I like Martin and Wilcox. There were back room issues last season I can’t be bothered to explain again.

Theres a big difference this season. We’ve been backed by by SR. We had a cracking window . There are no excuses anymore.

Said before I studied Dragan a lot even watching his Serbian TV interviews he even said he took his eye off the ball last season that wouldn’t happen this season. Far too early for purges but if we are flailing around by Christmas it could get nasty. The fans will be the least of the back room staffs worries. 
maybe this debacle came at the right time.

7 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

I’d love to know who in the club are interviewing these managers, what brief they have set and what they are looking for in terms of matching that brief. 

Seems to me we are just listening to a load of Boll&£”s and flipping a coin.

That is a big worry if the people at the top don’t know what Southampton FC should look like. 

Of course they do. One game far too early for wimps like you to come crawling out of the woodwork.

• Sad 1

55 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

SR will not muck about. If we are clearly off the automatic places come December I am sure they will act.

The investment and the squad is top two, they are not here to be bimbling around in 5th to 8th.

I remember arguing with a couple of people on here when Jones was appointed and them telling me that SR will stick with Jones for the long term, even if we got relegated Jones would still be manager.

Obviously this was nonsence and the same will apply here. Russell Martin has been employed to get promoted this season. Not to build a long term project, not to create "green shoots" or "build a foundation".

Get. Promoted. Now.

He's got pressure he's never had before, but he's got players and resources he's never had before.

Let's hope we look back on yesterday as the wake up call and the turning point. 

Thought they’d written off promotion this season before we’d even kicked a ball?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Disappointing to see some have turned on RM already, he's come in like a breath of fresh air yet one setback....one horrendous setback admitted.....and the knives are out and being sharpened.  

Yes, some have - but you'll get that with any fan base and any appointment. But there are a lot of people being very reasonable too, who understand that this is one loss in 5 (which, regardless of any other arguments, would equate to 9 across a season - fewer than when we were promoted in 2011-12!) and who know this process of change is going to take time. That said, the concerns expressed are not unreasonable. Yesterday was appalling from minute zero and didn't improve. RM has accepted responsibility and his anger was palpable. I believe we will see improvement, and like many, many others really want RM to succeed; but as I and others have said, SR will not muck about if we see too much of this between now and Christmas. I would expect top 6 by then as a bare minimum. No discussion, no mitigation. RM will know that too. He absolutely has to deliver this season. And if he doesn't he will be gone.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Disappointing to see some have turned on RM already, he's come in like a breath of fresh air yet one setback....one horrendous setback admitted.....and the knives are out and being sharpened.  

The first time we were heavily beaten in our last promotion season (I know that is not an exact equivalence), we lost 3-0 away to Brighton (didnt we go down to 10 men?)...we then only lost 1 of the following 14 games..

There is no way this team, being this wide open, will match that.

We have the tools to fix this and fix this immediately. Let see/hope we do.

• Like 1

We spent a lot of money to buy footballers but refused to pay a penny for a decent manager. We allowed unknown managers to do experiment in our team, from high press football to 3 CB, and now possession-based football. If they succeed, they got all the credits and move to a bigger team, if they fail, they just go and we suffer. 

• Like 1

Still back him but he needs to prove this was a blip with a win against Leicester. The starting line up needs to be as strong as it can be: Baz, KWP, Bed, THD, Man, Charles, Downes, Charly, Fraser, AA, Adams currently IMO. He has two weeks to sort it. No excuses. Leicester also lost so they are beatable.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, HKsaint said:

We spent a lot of money to buy footballers but refused to pay a penny for a decent manager.

That's a dopey analysis. We haven't picked Russell Martin because we "refuse to pay a penny for a decent manager".

There's no manager in the second tier who we couldn't afford to have if we wanted them. The club have made a stylistic/strategic choice with Russell and he'll be on decent money.

We can analyse whether it was the right choice or not, thats fine, but what it absolutely isn't is some cheap budget choice or all we could afford.

• Like 2

Yes, yesterday was a shitshow. But reading the comments here it feels like many were primed to attack at the first possible opportunity.

Almost a perverse glee to it.

Personally, I believe we'll learn from this. And if we don't, those gunning for Martin will fairly swiftly get their wish.

Edited by ant
  • Like 4

45 minutes ago, beatlesaint said:

Some may of turned on him.  I think though the majority are just a little alarmed by a few things they saw yesterday from Martin.   The selected team; the set up of players; the failure to adapt style and strategy and poor use of subs.

What most alarmed me was shoehorning Smallbone straight back in at the expense of Charles which resulted in a steamrolling of our midfield and a confusion as to holding and attacking roles.     I honestly can't see the appeal of Smallbone - neither a robust holding midfielder nor a running creative player - let's have Charles and Downes with Alcaraz providing the AM role.      Watching Manning again only reinforced my belief he is not up to standard for a side aiming for automatic promotion - you can't afford such a ponderous, one footed, poor defender playing at LB.     RM playing AA as a 9 again was another surprising decision - Mara playing out wide?    Square pegs, round holes.     Not starting Fraser in such an important game.       The knives aren't being sharpened, but he has to prove that yesterday was an aberration, starting in a fortnight v Leicester.

• Like 4

For some context on whether yesterday’s defeat is a ‘blip’ or if Martin-ball is going to be an issue, that was Martin’s first defeat in his last 14 championship games: W10 D3 L1.

It was some defeat mind, can only hope that draws attention to making defensive minded tweaks to resolve, whether that’s THB coming in for Holgate or Charles starting every game to give us more defensive cover in midfield. Charles nearly scored 2 headers from corners yesterday, he’s useful in both boxes aerially.

There’s been lots player change, lots of transfer distraction and we are still learning this new style. I’m still backing the process but yesterday was a disgrace. We can’t be losing 5-0 to any team in this league. 

• Like 6

6 minutes ago, goodymatt said:

For some context on whether yesterday’s defeat is a ‘blip’ or if Martin-ball is going to be an issue, that was Martin’s first defeat in his last 14 championship games: W10 D3 L1.

It was some defeat mind, can only hope that draws attention to making defensive minded tweaks to resolve, whether that’s THB coming in for Holgate or Charles starting every game to give us more defensive cover in midfield. Charles nearly scored 2 headers from corners yesterday, he’s useful in both boxes aerially.

There’s been lots player change, lots of transfer distraction and we are still learning this new style. I’m still backing the process but yesterday was a disgrace. We can’t be losing 5-0 to any team in this league. 

Well balanced post. Yesterday was a fiasco but the wider context is important and the short termism of some, while not surprising, is disappointing.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Orkney Saint said:

Possession for possessions sake? 🤔

Some basic stats from the league games so far…

Match No.

Possession %

Shots

Shots on Target

Corners

Goals For

Goals Against

Total

-

Average

Scoring 2 goals a game from an average of 70.6% possession, but conceding 2.2 goals a game from 29.4% possession for the opposition.

It’s still relatively early days, but the theory that the opposition cannot score if they don’t have the ball is not holding very true at present. Having the majority of your possession in your own and the middle third probably doesn’t help either.

Thanks for that. Interesting to see that together, and hopefully as the season goes on.

That late 5th of Sunderland's to be added, not that it impacts your point.

• Like 1