Russell Martin

LegalEagle

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What success? 

The highest Brentford have ever finished is 9th, we've sacked a manager for doing better than that.

Of course, despite finishing higher than 9th one time in their entire history, there are divs on here that genuinely believe that "Brighton have done better than we have ever done" so no helping some people.

Edited by CB Fry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

What success? 

Maintaining a position in the top half of the Premier league is a success in itself. Being financially successful, developing young players & not changing managers are all signs of a well run & successful organization.

2 hours ago, Saint NL said:

We'll lose tomorrow, then again on Tuesday against Stoke.

He'll be fired and we'll have that fired manager bounce and beat Rotherham.

Then it's the international break to get the new manager sorted. It seems clear, just a shame it's going to take two more losses to get there.

It will take more than losing the next two games before the gimps running this club to pull the trigger. Unfortunately.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, saintant said:

No place for that sort of football in this day and age. Drop all involved in this goal for a few games.

I've just watched the other goals from this evening's game (6 in total) and pretty much all of them came as a result of getting the ball forward quickly. No faffing around in sight. Chalk and cheese with the first team. 

2 hours ago, gurru991 said:

Maintaining a position in the top half of the Premier league is a success in itself. Being financially successful, developing young players & not changing managers are all signs of a well run & successful organization.

Fingers crossed, I’m waiting on “wish we were Brighton” on SaintsWeb bingo

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CB Fry said:

The highest Brentford have ever finished is 9th, we've sacked a manager for doing better than that.

Of course, despite finishing higher than 9th one time in their entire history, there are divs on here that genuinely believe that "Brighton have done better than we have ever done" so no helping some people.

Out of interest, where is that quote from?

1 hour ago, Challenger said:

It will take more than losing the next two games before the gimps running this club to pull the trigger. Unfortunately.

Lose the next two, and that will be six in row. Pretty loud alarm bells will be going off, surely sufficient to wake our dickheads up and call to action ? 

31 minutes ago, trousers said:

I've just watched the other goals from this evening's game (6 in total) and pretty much all of them came as a result of getting the ball forward quickly. No faffing around in sight. Chalk and cheese with the first team. 

They just won't learn. Everything we do should not be outcome based. Get them in early on Monday and show them exactly where they are going wrong.

16 minutes ago, saintant said:

They just won't learn. Everything we do should not be outcome based. Get them in early on Monday and show them exactly where they are going wrong.

It's much better to lose a game 6-0 but out pass the opposition. That is the stat that people will remember, not how many goals we score. 

• Like 1

Didn't watch the press conference but, if the transcript is accurate and he said Leeds had more preparation time than us, then that's just not true.

They appointed Farke weeks after we appointed Martin, had to loan out a lot of their better players (including on deadline day) and only made their significant signings very late in the window. The difference is Leeds made signings that have come in and hit the ground running and given them a boost. We, on the other hand, tried to be clever and signed players like Holgate and Fraser who were low on confidence and/or hadn't played for a long time. The player who could also significantly help us up front is also weeks away from making a meaningful impact (good player but given we are in the entirely predictable down swing from Che after the window closed we really could have done with a Piroe to come straight in). 

If the comments re prep time were just re Leicester then fair enough but, even then, we knew we were going down weeks before them and so should have had more time but to say we were less prepared for the season than Leeds is just deflection.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, James said:

Didn't watch the press conference but, if the transcript is accurate and he said Leeds had more preparation time than us, then that's just not true.

They appointed Farke weeks after we appointed Martin, had to loan out a lot of their better players (including on deadline day) and only made their significant signings very late in the window. The difference is Leeds made signings that have come in and hit the ground running and given them a boost. We, on the other hand, tried to be clever and signed players like Holgate and Fraser who were low on confidence and/or hadn't played for a long time. The player who could also significantly help us up front is also weeks away from making a meaningful impact (good player but given we are in the entirely predictable down swing from Che after the window closed we really could have done with a Piroe to come straight in). 

If the comments re prep time were just re Leicester then fair enough but, even then, we knew we were going down weeks before them and so should have had more time but to say we were less prepared for the season than Leeds is just deflection.

The thing that annoys me about this is that the journos asking the questions rarely pull the manager up on contradictory / disingenuous answers such as this. I guess it's all about the journos keeping themselves in the club's good books so they can't be seen to be rattling the cage too much...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Watching the game tonight I’ve finally figured sport republics vision. They do say it’s a long term project for them… keep Russell as long as it takes for the toxic SMS atmosphere to actually turn him into Daniel Farke (6-10 years, supplemented by a diet of vegan burgers and cigarettes)

IMG_6908.jpeg

IMG_6909.jpeg

• Haha 4

58 minutes ago, trousers said:

Good to see him ditching the possession obsession/dogma today... I wonder how long the pragmatism will last though?

Good question. It shows the squad isn’t the problem. After Jones awful start we got that brilliant win over City with a completely change of style. But it quickly returned to his hopeless crap afterwards. 

• Like 2

On 02/09/2023 at 17:55, Suhari said:

Should we have gone all out for Dyche? Or the American fella (can't remember his name; think he had a TV show)? Oh....or Big Sam?

With the greatest respect, maybe Jones would've come good?

I didn't see the game BTW. Which I think is a good thing.

Dyche doing great 😂

• Haha 2

On 30/09/2023 at 14:33, trousers said:

Good to see him ditching the possession obsession/dogma today... I wonder how long the pragmatism will last though?

23 hours ago, notnowcato said:

Being able to switch between the 2 types of play can only be a good thing. 

Indeed, just a shame it took him 4 defeats on the trot to discover the bleedin' obvious... ;)

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So do we think Martin has learnt his lesson with the Leeds result or will he return straight back to kamikaze tactics and Russ ball? 

In his recent press conferences he's said that he would be prepared to deviate temporarily from the 'philosophy' for short term gains but that he would never deviate from the overall strategy in the longer term. So, if we're to take him at his word, the more direct football we saw yesterday is more likely to be the exception rather than the norm. Unless I'm completely mis-reading / misunderstanding what he's saying...?

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, trousers said:

In his recent press conferences he's said that he would be prepared to deviate temporarily from the 'philosophy' for short term gains but that he would never deviate from the overall strategy in the longer term. So, if we're to take him at his word, the more direct football we saw yesterday is more likely to be the exception rather than the norm. Unless I'm completely mis-reading / misunderstanding what he's saying...?

More Direct football yesterday? Lol what game were you watching?

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, trousers said:

Indeed, just a shame it took him 4 defeats on the trot to discover the bleedin' obvious... ;)

Pragmatic is a lot easier to master than dominating possession, hopefully the pain we've gone through will be worth it in the long run

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Mr X said:

So do we think Martin has learnt his lesson with the Leeds result or will he return straight back to kamikaze tactics and Russ ball? 

Hard to say, there was talk of a midweek meeting with the 'supportive owners' so it may have been imposed. Have to say that the first half was just about as schizophrenic performance I can remember from a Saints side, with a team that looked like whipping boys in the previous fixtures showing guts, flair and nous - what most of us anticipated would get us out of this league.  Crowd could see the effort and rewarded the side and manager with great backing over the 90 minutes.  Surely Martin, and Wilcox for that matter, aren't that daft.    

• Like 2

2 hours ago, trousers said:

This is why I'm not popping the champagne bottle yet. As I mentioned earlier, we've seen false dawns before, with the fabulous City win sandwiched between the rest of the NJ shit.

RM comes across as stubborn, and not that bright. Every fan and their dog could see his tactics and team selections were utter shit, but it took 4 abominable performances for him to reluctantly make the bleeding obvious changes, which he is calling temporary. He has his shite "philosophy" firmly nailed to his mast, and I fear he's going to live or die for it (spoiler alert: die). And who's going to stop him? Ankersen is beyond clueless, wanting to prove himself a genius by hiring managers who are failures and breaking things that aren't broken, and Wilcox appears to be little more than his puppet.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, stevy777_x said:

More Direct football yesterday? Lol what game were you watching?

I watched the game twice yesterday (once at the ground and on TV last night) and rewatching it, it was surprising how much more direct we were.  It wasn't hoofball but we did get the ball forward much quicker and there were far more longer balls as well.  

For a bit of interest I also looked up what Leeds fans thought and the first reaction I got was this one: 

Obviously she's only a fan but she certainly seems to think we were much more direct as well so I think you're in the minority here.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, revolution saint said:

I watched the game twice yesterday (once at the ground and on TV last night) and rewatching it, it was surprising how much more direct we were.  It wasn't hoofball but we did get the ball forward much quicker and there were far more longer balls as well.  

For a bit of interest I also looked up what Leeds fans thought and the first reaction I got was this one: 

Obviously she's only a fan but she certainly seems to think we were much more direct as well so I think you're in the minority here.

She reckons the ref was pro Saints ? 
Not how I saw it 😌

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dark Munster said:

This is why I'm not popping the champagne bottle yet. As I mentioned earlier, we've seen false dawns before, with the fabulous City win sandwiched between the rest of the NJ shit.

RM comes across as stubborn, and not that bright. Every fan and their dog could see his tactics and team selections were utter shit, but it took 4 abominable performances for him to reluctantly make the bleeding obvious changes, which he is calling temporary. He has his shite "philosophy" firmly nailed to his mast, and I fear he's going to live or die for it (spoiler alert: die). And who's going to stop him? Ankersen is beyond clueless, wanting to prove himself a genius by hiring managers who are failures and breaking things that aren't broken, and Wilcox appears to be little more than his puppet.

A good win is promising. 

Consistency is what we're after. 

• Like 1

Just goes to show that referees can't win. I too thought the ref penalised Saints for every offence and let Leeds getaway with exactly the same things. Amazed she thought he was woeful. The quality of refereeing is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

4 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

Just goes to show that referees can't win. I too thought the ref penalised Saints for every offence and let Leeds getaway with exactly the same things. Amazed she thought he was woeful. The quality of refereeing is obviously in the eye of the beholder.

He absolutely let them get away with more, both in terms of not giving freekicks for identical fouls and not booking them for multiple challenges that we immediately got a booking for on the first offence. 

• Like 1