Gavin Bazunu

hypochondriac

1 minute ago, James said:

Classic. No engagement with Bazunu's glaring faults as usual. 

Dickhead.

Your obsession has caused you to miss the most glaring aspect of today’s game which is that there was no defence in front of him. It wouldn’t have mattered who we had in goal with those strangers out there. The bestest keeper in the world ever might have kept the score down to three and we would only have lost 3-0. 

The defence is the problem. That’s an order of magnitude greater than any goalkeeper we might use.

Or was it my fault that those goals went in? Just because I don’t belong to the ‘Bazunu is a clown’ religion doesn’t mean that I think he’s the best thing since sliced bread..

And there were no ‘glaring faults’ today apart from the absence of any coherent defence in front of him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Dickhead.

Your obsession has caused you to miss the most glaring aspect of today’s game which is that there was no defence in front of him. It wouldn’t have mattered who we had in goal with those strangers out there. The bestest keeper in the world ever might have kept the score down to three and we would only have lost 3-0. 

The defence is the problem. That’s an order of magnitude greater than any goalkeeper we might use.

Or was it my fault that those goals went in? Just because I don’t belong to the ‘Bazunu is a clown’ religion doesn’t mean that I think he’s the best thing since sliced bread..

And there were no ‘glaring faults’ today apart from the absence of any coherent defence in front of him.

Right, so your argument is that it's the defence's job to make sure he doesn't ever have to make a save? Baz's clanger came at a key moment and made sure we went in 3-0 down. Of the saves he did make, it's good fortune that those didn't result in goals as he just patted it straight back to an oncoming attacker. Had the defence not been quick to the clearance it would have been 7-0 so it's really swings and roundabouts isn't it?

Re "no glaring faults" if your view is that a competent keeper doesn't save number 3 then your standards for keepers must be seriously low. 

By the way, I'm not arguing the defence is any good but that doesn't excuse Baz's clear faults.

Edited by James
  • Like 2

Just seen the goals. All terrible. Defence a shambles. Marking is abysmal.

Bazunu has perfected the art of looking busy whilst getting nowhere near some saveable shots, diving over/under the ball etc. Reminds me of Gazzaniga.

1st goal - should have saved it. Goes right past him. 

2nd goal - benefit of the doubt due to deflection

3rd goal - should never have been beaten at the near post from there

4th goal - not his fault

5th goal - should be saving that

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, James said:

Right, so your argument is that it's the defence's job to make sure he doesn't ever have to make a save? Baz's clanger came at a key moment and made sure we went in 3-0 down. Of the saves he did make, it's good fortune that those didn't result in goals as he just patted it straight back to an oncoming attacker. Had the defence not been quick to the clearance it would have been 7-0 so it's really swings and roundabouts isn't it?

Re "no glaring faults" if your view is that a competent keeper doesn't save number 3 then your standards for keepers must be seriously low. 

By the way, I'm not arguing the defence is any good but that doesn't excuse Baz's clear faults.

The defence’s job is exact that. To get in the way of attackers, to make it difficult for them to get a shot away and in particular to challenge for headers. I saw none of that today. Their third that you’re so annoyed about would have beaten most keepers.

I get far more annoyed about the non-existent defence than anything else. Put any other goalkeeper in their and the result would have been little different.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

Bazunu has perfected the art of looking busy whilst getting nowhere near some saveable shots, diving over/under the ball etc. Reminds me of Gazzaniga.

4th goal - not his fault

And exactly how should he have done that?

• Haha 1

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

The defence’s job is exact that. To get in the way of attackers, to make it difficult for them to get a shot away and in particular to challenge for headers. I saw none of that today. Their third that you’re so annoyed about would have beaten most keepers.

I get far more annoyed about the non-existent defence than anything else. Put any other goalkeeper in their and the result would have been little different.

Completely disagree on the third goal. No competent keeper gets beaten at their near post by a shot like that. 

That aside, I agree with you the defence is non existent and that we would still have lost with a different keeper.

That said, I have no confidence in Baz generally. To win promotion you need some performances from a keeper and I don't see Baz capable of keeping us in tight games. 

• Like 2

Saved us today from an even worse humiliation, so that will shut up some of the doubters, probably the only positive of a dire performance by the defence. Missed Stephens at the back, hopefully the new lad will be better than the Everton reject.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Just now, ashnats said:

Saved us today from an even worse humiliation, so that will shut up some of the doubters, probably the only positive of a dire performance by the defence. Missed Stephens at the back, hopefully the new lad will be better than the Everton reject.

Not really. His parries into the danger zone could easily have cost us another couple more.

• Like 1

A decent keeper will inspire the defence in front of him and contribute to the overall performance of the back 5. It must be going through the minds of the back line that they need to protect wafer hands as most shots will result in a goal.

I’m fucking baffled that someone (RM) who seems so meticulous on possession and defending did not see that Baz was a major issue coming into the season. Honestly it’s a level of incompetence that deserves interference from the board to do something about it.

The whole result isn’t entirely on him of course, we’re not looking for a scapegoat, but 3 goals could have been saved today, and that ball should not be palmed back into play as much as it is.

he might be a good keeper in 5 or so years time, but I’ve said it before and I’ll stick but it - we will not get promoted with Baz as our number 1

Edited by bpsaint
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Eh? So he gets blamed now for not letting the shots go straight in.

If you parry it straight back to an attacker to give them a tap in but for a defender at full stretch then yes. Did it v Norwich and at least twice today. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Eh? So he gets blamed now for not letting the shots go straight in.

For someone who comes across as thinking he knows about goalkeeping that is a ridiculous comment. Every keeper is taught that if you parry the ball you need to make sure it goes somewhere relatively safe. That parry from the free kick sent the ball straight into the middle of the goal and we were only saved because the guy who latched onto it either lost his footing or miskicked it.

• Like 2

Essentially Bazunu is the Juan Larios of goalkeepers. The main difference is the number of games played for our first team and a £12m rather than a £6million fee. Of the Man City starlets only Lavia has worked out and the perseverance with Bazunu seems to come from the very top, Ankersen and those who signed him for a big fee effectively allowing him to learn on the job. It’s not fine, it cost us dearly last season in terms of relagation and it will cost us this season in terms of promotion.

From what I have seen he’s small for a modern day keeper in terms of height (he’s certainly not the height stated in Wikipedia, I’d say around 5ft 10 / 5 ft 11 - on par with Russell Martin), he’s physically small with poor strength (compared to likes of Shilton and Neimi who weren’t tallest but brick shithouses), he appears physically weak and needs to develop his upper body, he lacks decision making, is mute during matches and lacks consistency in terms of technique. On his side is his age and he has time on his side, but SFC doesn’t!  

I can see why the board persist in the hope of another payday or avoiding admission of their error, but the Bazunettes on here puzzle me - what are they seeing that many of us dimwits aren’t? During games you can feel the unease from the vast majority of our fans whenever play is near our goal, and the opposition are on to Bazunu as a weak link too. With set pieces the tension is palpable. Yes central midfield and defence needs work but having a rookie keeper is compounding it! 

Last year when the chips were down and our chances of staying up were hanging by a thread Selles finally dropped GB for the appalling mcarthy, and I wonder now how long it will be before Russell Martin is asking his DOF for permission to drop him for Lumley, probably not until we are in free fall sliding down the table. If it were up to me I’d be looking for a Boruc, and they are available, Kasper S would help immensely but maybe too obvious for our innovators. 

Edited by Miltonaggro
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Jimbo said:

4th goal - not his fault

yeah.. pantomime goalkeeping.

.....or maybe he is this ghostly apparition in which earthly object can easily pass right through.

whatever it is, it isn't goal stopping.

• Like 1

I think back to the fans forum when a perfectly good question was asked about the weakness of the spine of the team to be addressed starting with the goal keeper, rather than respond calmly Martin launched into an unnecessary long defence of Bazunu showering him with praise, definitely felt like a case of "the lady doth protest too much" , deep down Martin knows Baz is a fucking liability who let's a high percentage of shots on target in.  We're handicapped as a team because of this and will concede far too many over the course of the season.

just makes it worse the Skates call him "Agent Bazunu" as well whilst laughing at his calamity efforts 

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, saintant said:

Analysts from other teams will know that Baz is weak at saving low shots from outside the box. We can expect opponents to be encouraged to try their luck with speculative efforts because they know it's a good route to scoring against us.

It was obvious Sunderland were doing this. Shooting from anywhere knowing there was a chance of a goal.

• Like 1

Can't get near most shots, those that are right at him go through his foam hands. When he does get a stop he pushes it straight back out. Makes a huge meal of any routine scuffer. 

Worst Saints goalie in my memory and that includes Ian Andews and Tommy Fourpast.

Edited by OttawaSaint
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Clark is one of those that clearly gets off to proving people wrong, even if it means the team plays shit as a result. 😂

Not really mate, today was depressing as fuck. 

I'm confident in my opinion, from what I've seen, that he is a terrible keeper and isn't going to improve to the extent we require. He may be brilliant in 5+ years time but right now I don't give a solitary fuck about that. 

It's a position that is SO easy to make an immediate and drastic improvement to the sides chances, and yet we continue to blindly put our faith in him. 

I don't get off on proving people wrong, it's just that the more and more people who finally admit he is terrible the higher the chance one of those people is the manager and we replace him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Whitey Grandad said:

You can't keeping coming out with this rhetoric every game. It's quite clear that he should have done better with at least three of their goals today. Yes, the defending was shite, but he just doesn't inspire any confidence, have you ever seen him go crazy at his defenders? Does he organise a defence? He's so quiet out there he should work in a library. He needs to come out of the firing line, but how can he? Martin claims he is the best keeper in the division, when you come out with an comment like that, you know you aren't getting dropped. Even if we did drop him, the options behind him are just as bad. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JRM said:

I think back to the fans forum when a perfectly good question was asked about the weakness of the spine of the team to be addressed starting with the goal keeper, rather than respond calmly Martin launched into an unnecessary long defence of Bazunu showering him with praise, definitely felt like a case of "the lady doth protest too much" , deep down Martin knows Baz is a fucking liability who let's a high percentage of shots on target in.  We're handicapped as a team because of this and will concede far too many over the course of the season.

just makes it worse the Skates call him "Agent Bazunu" as well whilst laughing at his calamity efforts 

I’d be very concerned if anyone didn’t think he was a liability. His gushing praise was definitely a bit OTT. You’re probably right as to to why

He looks like he dives with no intention of getting the ball .

He either needs to go to the optician or he’s just shit . 

Perhaps he is an agent that the Portsmouth fans think ?

either way he needs dropping before the crowd start to turn on him .

McCathy had a solid couple of seasons for us and we need him to reach those levels again . 

Just now, IFHP said:

He looks like he dives with no intention of getting the ball .

He either needs to go to the optician or he’s just shit . 

Perhaps he is an agent that the Portsmouth fans think ?

either way he needs dropping before the crowd start to turn on him .

McCathy had a solid couple of seasons for us and we need him to reach those levels again . 

Is it just me who thinks he goes down incredibly slowly?

• Like 3

I'd have expected my GK to save at least 2 of the goals today, at any level. 

The scary thing though is that he did actually make some good saves in that second half, but still let in 5!

What is going on in front of him is a huge concern for me, the openness of our game is there for all to see. We will probably refine it, I think we'll have to as we don't seem capable of stopping opposition attacks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, sfc4prem said:

He is porous. He has a particular ability to make the goal look absolutely massive, and his wrists are made of fucking crisp packets. The bread and butter of goalkeepers is made to seem like rocket science by this young man.

Brilliantly put and so so true. How tall is he actually? He has the presence of a munchkin, the agility of a snowman, and the handling of a boiled egg.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

and RM is the fourth manager to play him.

That’s a bit disingenuous. Ralph & Jonesy didn’t get much time with him, and Selles binned him eventually. For AM FFS, that tells you everything. Continue like this & he'll get binned again. It’s criminal that we have such shite options in nets. 

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

1 minute ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

That’s a bit disingenuous. Ralph & Jonesy didn’t get much time with him, and Selles binned him eventually. 

In how many matches did Selles play him before switching him out ? ( Considering he had been sat alongside Ralph and Mad Nate for however many matches already, watching Bazunu's performances, plus watching hime in months of training  ).

2 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

In how many matches did Selles play him before switching him out ? ( Considering he had been sat alongside Ralph and Mad Nate for however many matches already, watching Bazunu's performances, plus watching hime in months of training  ).

When the alternative is Alex fucking McCarthy, being picked regularly doesn’t necessarily mean the manager rates you. 

• Lighthouse changed the title to Gavin Bazunu