Southampton fans from Salisbury and Basingstoke

Paul Chuckle

There seems to be a a lot of Southampton fans on social media platforms who come from Salisbury or Basingstoke and have no ties to Southampton. This seems to be a hot topic of debate on twitter at the moment.

What are people's thoughts on out of city folk supporting us?

Should they be allowed to refer to themselves as Scummers?

Will we see a decline of tourist fans now we have been relegated?

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Maybe their parents support Saints? Also better they support a team that's vaguely near them rather than just going for Man City or Utd.

Their alternative I guess is to support their local non-league team but then a lot of Saints fans would have a closer one of those to where they live than they are to St Mary's.

Where do you draw the line? No one in Eastleigh can support Saints because they should watch Eastleigh? What about Winchester? That's a Saints stronghold but they have a decent non-league side. 

• Like 3

At least there is some semblance of proximity. Considering we allege that there is only one team in Hampshire, is this really a matter for debate when you have people on the other side of the world supporting the plucky blue side of Manchester, recently promoted back to the Prem after stints in div 1 and 2?

I suppose it all depends on how big you think our catchment area really is :)

How thick do you have to be to even ask a question like this? 

Anyone can support any team, for any reason they choose. I’m a lifelong saints fan from near Basingstoke. I chose the saints because my family were from Southampton, are massive saints fans and I’ve been going my whole life.

Who the fuck are you to question who I support?

• Like 20

42 minutes ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Fine with it but I must admit the teenagers from Salisbury are very weird compared to proper southampton folk. Also many of them like to shit on our city so it causes a bit of an annoyance. I never went to the dell but would happily have a 15,000 seater if it was full of people who actually care about and represent Southampton 

No, no one should. It’s cringey and no longer used by the people who tried to make it a thing. It’s been adopted by fake “hooligans” in say the Itchen North.  

Probably not, still the biggest club in the south

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

Fine with it but I must admit the teenagers from Salisbury are very weird compared to proper southampton folk. Also many of them like to shit on our city so it causes a bit of an annoyance. I never went to the dell but would happily have a 15,000 seater if it was full of people who actually care about and represent Southampton 

No, no one should. It’s cringey and no longer used by the people who tried to make it a thing. It’s been adopted by fake “hooligans” in say the Itchen North.  

Probably not, still the biggest club in the south

The slagging off of the city by the Salisbury twitter folk I find very odd. I've seen some call Southampton a shit hole and that they'd never move here. Not a good look at all for those who support the club. Would rather fans like that stay at home. 

Calling ourselves Scummers I'll never get. All very odd

• Like 1

Im Basingstoke, moved to Sussex, came back to Basingstoke in 2010.

The only club I supported was Saints, when I was 4yo, never interested in any other team. No family of mine like Saints (other than my two boys), no idea why I chose them.

So, am I allowed to continue to support Saints, or do I need to find another club 😇 😂

Edited by Billy the Kidd
  • Like 5

They're just on the wind up. There's one or two on there whose only contribution is to tell people where they should sit in the stadium, what they should wear and sing etc and where they should come from. They're just fishing for bites so I'm not sure why people are nibbling. Nobody genuinely gives a toss where our fans are from and currently live. 

• Like 5

Who actually cares where our supporters live? I know people that live in Basingstoke who go to more games than friends in Southampton.

I'm technically an "out of city folk" as I moved from Totton to Salisbury 3 years ago.

Suppose I'm a lesser fan now I've moved away 😢

• Like 3

I support Southampton because that's where my dad grew up and lived for 20 years. simple as that. I've never lived there, although I am reasonably close (hence my username). I don't think someone needs to live in a certain area to support a team - 70% of football fans I've met live no were near their team. I don't really think it's an issue, and if there is people on twitter debating this then they need to get a fucking life.

• Like 5

My Dad and all his family are from Salisbury. He was a season ticket holder for many years at Saints until he met my Mum and moved up north (where I have lived for my entire life). I have only ever supported Saints but have no ‘connection’ to the city outside of supporting the club.

I live less than 20 miles from Old Trafford and stuck with Saints throughout United’s dominance, despite all my mates supporting them. I have a 20 month old son who’s already on his third saints kit and another boy on the way later this year. I’ll be trying to get them both to avoid supporting City or United and stick with our family club. 

Some might not agree but I think choosing your club on family tradition is pretty logical and being able to go to games with 4 generations in the near future will be pretty special for my family.

• Like 9

52 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

How thick do you have to be to even ask a question like this? 

Anyone can support any team, for any reason they choose. I’m a lifelong saints fan from near Basingstoke. I chose the saints because my family were from Southampton, are massive saints fans and I’ve been going my whole life.

Who the fuck are you to question who I support?

I think the opening line “There seems to be a a lot of Southampton fans on social media platforms” was where I stopped taking the post seriously.

• Like 2

I don't mind where people come from that support us. Would rather see Saints shirts in town than the fake plastics from other clubs.  Am originally from Southampton, Sholing/Thornhill. Only moved here because my girlfriend, now wife was living here, ironically she is from Calmore originally. I cannot abide having a PO postcode and would probably move back if given the chance. 

• Like 1

It doesn’t matter where you come from really., aslong as there is some sort of link usually down to a family member or where born but our catchment area is big so welcome all, as you say better than picking a team cos they win things! 

I was born in Southampton, support saints, follow and go to Eastleigh fc occasionally, support Hampshire at cricket and Bath for rugby a few times a season (my closest premiership rugby team  ) def doesn’t have anything to do with it being a lovely place to visit with its many pubs and eateries pre and post match by the way … honest 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

There seems to be a a lot of Southampton fans on social media platforms who come from Salisbury or Basingstoke and have no ties to Southampton. This seems to be a hot topic of debate on twitter at the moment.

I think you are a cunt generally, If you are slating a Saints fan for calling himself a scummer. 

How many saints fans refer to Saints players as a "scummer" that come from all over the world.

That's just my opinion.

• Haha 3

As someone who has never lived in Southampton and always in Wiltshire I simply love the club. None of my close family support Saints (or even care about football). I wanted a club that wasn’t too far away so that I can go and support them, but aligned to the values that I would support.

Being from near Bath I was invited with school to the centre of excellence at Bath Uni when I was very young. They taught us all about the club and some of the players there. The club was in the third division at the time. I spoke to an uncle of mine who worked on the docks and is a somewhat saints fan. 

I simply love the area, the city, the people and the club itself. I will never understand why you wouldn’t want more people supporting the team you love, no matter where they come from. I also don’t understand supporting the team but shitting on the city, makes no sense. 

There are some fans online who are trying to ‘gate keep’ Southampton and the club from people from Wiltshire and It’s very strange. Surely if someone loves your club and your city, you’d welcome that? 

• Like 8

Southampton born and bred, was recently exiled up in the midlands for 3 years and couldn't wait to get back home. Bit weird if supposed Saints fans from Salisbury and Basingstoke are shitting on the city as they are hardly Monte Carlo themselves.

I think it certainly helps if you have a strong connection to the city as ultimately SFC represents the city of Southampton, but anyone who chooses to support and invest in Saints when it would be so much easier to follow one of the glory clubs is welcome as far as I'm concerned.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SaintRob__ said:

As someone who has never lived in Southampton and always in Wiltshire I simply love the club. None of my close family support Saints (or even care about football). I wanted a club that wasn’t too far away so that I can go and support them, but aligned to the values that I would support.

Being from near Bath I was invited with school to the centre of excellence at Bath Uni when I was very young. They taught us all about the club and some of the players there. The club was in the third division at the time. I spoke to an uncle of mine who worked on the docks and is a somewhat saints fan. 

I simply love the area, the city, the people and the club itself. I will never understand why you wouldn’t want more people supporting the team you love, no matter where they come from. I also don’t understand supporting the team but shitting on the city, makes no sense. 

There are some fans online who are trying to ‘gate keep’ Southampton and the club from people from Wiltshire and It’s very strange. Surely if someone loves your club and your city, you’d welcome that? 

They are not they are just on a wind up surely you can see that?

58 minutes ago, SaintRob__ said:

Wiltshire is ‘Channon country’ so don’t think you need to justify your support for the club, or seek ‘approval’ from anyone 

• Like 1

I was born near Basingstoke and so attached to hampshire teams then Saints dv 1 pompey div 2 bmouth div3 and aldershot div 4 Shows my age even back in the 70' there was a regular coach from Basingstoke to home games a the Dell 

I obviously chose saints and  now live in Cumbria via 5 years in spain .  

I never realised we had a grouping of fans that think you had to physically live in the city to be a real fan of the club and not be "tourist" fan. God forbid you grew up in the surrounding areas such as Eastleigh, Totton, Romsey, Salisbury, the new forest or any of the surrounding towns/villages... Let alone if you've moved away from the city or have family ties? If this isn't a wind up its certainly a minority of fans. Would go so far as to say we would do very well to lose any fans with that particular viewpoint immediatley. Staggered that people can be that ignorant to the number of out of town match going saints fans, or quite how broad the Southampton fanbase is in the south / sout west, or indeed nationally... Let alone actually being critical of those fans?!?! I guess they thought it was coincidence that the traffic, parking, and train service becomes magically congested on any given matchday, and obviously a complete fluke that club run shuttle services to the train station as well. 🙄

I agree with SaintsFan86's sentiments above re anyone subscribing to those viewpoints.

Edited by Saint86
  • Like 1

I’ve always regarded Basingstoke and Salisbury as our catchment areas.

Basingstoke I suppose is a little cloudy as north of there you’re also in Reading territory, and as a London overspill town it’s bound to have a load of London glory seekers. 

• Like 1

They're just winding people up. I bet you anything the same people shitting on Salisbury Saints fans would be the first to brown nose anyone flying over for a game from the States.

I've lived in Canterbury for 14 years and unlikely to move back to Hants. Doesn't mean I'm going to stop supporting my club (football or cricket) and I refuse to inflict becoming a Gillingham fan on any future potential kids.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, explorer saint said:

Shows my age even back in the 70' there was a regular coach from Basingstoke to home games a the Dell 

Nah, according to our non "tourist" fans its a fluke, we don't have any real fans outside the city and certainly not enough to run specific shuttle services to St Mary's 😄😂

Edited by Saint86

5 hours ago, Paul Chuckle said:

Ye daft beggar!

9 minutes ago, Ted Bates Statue said:

Was this the same one who wrote about how Mettomo looked really dominant during the warm-up?

Im not sure, love the irony of romsey Stu calling someone else a fatty turd though

Never mind stop the boats, we need blockades  and checkpoints on the A36! This is intolerable, I'll wager the infidels are sneaking into our public houses and eateries as well, I bet the publicans and restaurateurs wouldn't be happy about that!

35 minutes ago, BILLYDO said:

I was born and raised in Overton, a village close to Basingstoke and we had loads of Saints fans. My allegiance  to Saints comes from visiting my great gran who lived in Shirley. 

My pal and next door neighbour lived in North Waltham and both had ST's

I grew up in Andover in North Hampshire through the 80's/90's and the vast majority of kids at school supported Saints. You'd still get the odd muppet who supported Liverpool, Man Utd, etc, but most of us were Saints. My Dad is an Andover man too and was on Saints books as a kid, and he has supported them all his life (he is in his 70's now), and he took my brother and I to games from mid-80's onwards (it was only a 30-40 min drive to The Dell) and I've been hooked ever since. 
I couldn't feel more passionate about the club if I tried after 40 years of support, but I do agree that its slightly odd that I dont know the city that well, dont really have an affinity with the city (other than Saints), but adore the football club (although they've tested me these last few years 😆) There are a lot of people in Andover like this.
I now live in Bournemouth and have The Cherries just a 5 min drive away, but we still attend Saints matches, as do my kids now and hopefully they will stick with Saints (and not their local team, Bournemouth) as they grow up too. When I moved to Bournemouth around 2005, you would see more Saints shirts than Bournemouth, but that has now changes as people here have decided to support Bournemouth now (I wonder why!?)
I think Saints are quite a rare 'city' club, in that there aren't many clubs nearby competing for the support, so we have a decent fanbase in Andover, Salisbury, Basingstoke, Winchester, New Forest, IOW, etc and I love that about the club.

Edited by St Louis
  • Like 1

I can remember occasionally going to away games on football specials . We got on at St Denys and the lads from the west of the city were already on from Central . If I remember correctly the next stop was Eastleigh where all the local lads (yobs) got on and then Winchester again a fair number last stop before London was Basingstoke by which time the train was packed with drunken ,chain smoking hooligans , Happy days .

• Like 1

What about Weymouth, Dorchester and dare I say it Bournemouth. There used to be a lot of Saints fans based in those places.

What about Alresford - that's a Saints area as well? 

Newbury?

There was a group of Saints fans who used to sit behind use from Gosport and there are quite a few based in Fareham.

In reality I think Saints catchment area is really most of Hampshire (excepting the South East Corner) plus large areas of East Dorset and South Wiltshire, as well as a parts of South West Berkshire.

The rise of traditionally smaller teams such as Bournemouth and Reading has had an impact though.

Its really anywhere in the wider South Coast / South Central socio economic area which is centred on Southampton.  You could argue the core areas are really Southampton itself, Eastleigh, Romsey, Winchester and Totton. 

Eastleigh Town didn't exist when I was a kid - they were callled Swaythling then if I remember correctly.  

I grew up in Eastleigh, but both my parents grew up in Southampton, and I now live in Winchester - a pattern which is similar to many Saints fans I know.   I also know a few Saints fans who went to University in Southampton and stayed around and now support Saints (but grew up in Essex and Kent for example).