Jack Stephens

Professor

Im not going to rewrite my posting history, Im not Jacks biggest fan from a defending POV, and I sincerely hope he makes me eat my words in that sense

RM see’s something in him, I expect him to start most games and probably will be captain after JWP leaves

I remain concerned about his ability as a forward thinking defender, but ultimately he should be more than capable at this level

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, waterlooville saint said:

Personally I think this is a great piece of business by the club.

As others have said I was a bit surprised when he went on loan to Bournemouth last year but that was because they had great plans for a new defence (which we all know went pearshaped to put it politely). He seemed to have a pretty good season at Bournemouth once they found their shape and he got established in the team.

We'd all be getting really excited if the club announced we'd signed a new CB with premier league experience, which is effectively what this is.

If truth be told he couldn't get in the side for the najo. They got injuries and he had a twelve game run during which they won five games. He seemed to do ok, but did then lose his place for the final run in of games.

Wasn't totally solid last night. His position and up front (and keeper but we won't sign anyone there) are the ones that will be easiest to make big improvements in. 

Hopefully he turns it around, but I'm hoping we aren't planning for a full season with Bednarek and Stephens as first choice in front of Bazunu.

14 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

B*gger me! Jack Stephens…. new contract?…. probable captain? 

This Club never ceases to amaze me on its accelerating journey to ineptitude and obscurity. 

Forgot the Meds? Off to The Emirates again? Really shouldn’t share your password to others on your ward.

• Haha 3

26 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Wasn't totally solid last night. His position and up front (and keeper but we won't sign anyone there) are the ones that will be easiest to make big improvements in. 

Hopefully he turns it around, but I'm hoping we aren't planning for a full season with Bednarek and Stephens as first choice in front of Bazunu.

I agree he was the shakier of the two, and while I know he's played left CB before I've always seen him as more comfortable in the right CB position, or in a back 3. Unfortunately we have Bednarek who is also a RCB. Either we get ABK back fit and keep him or we're ideally going to need a left footed CB signing, or at least a CB who is comfortable playing at LCB a la Van Dijk. I know that's not always possible but I do think it would give the defence more balance. The other issue is that with the full backs bombing forwards, we ideally need a proper DM to slot back into the defence - which of course we didn't have last night. Smallbone was very tidy but he is not a DM. Hopefully Charles can be this player long term.

The other thing to note is that because of our pressing and passing game, we were susceptible to the counter attack, and neither Bednarek or Stephens are particularly known for their speed, which you need when a side is bombing at you. I think going forward it will be Bednarek OR Stephens +1. That would also be my concern about making him captain - is he going to be selected most of the time? I feel a captain should play most games.

Good positioning for the shot that was cleared off the line though. If we're going to challenge for promotion we need goals across the team.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SNSUN said:

I agree he was the shakier of the two, and while I know he's played left CB before I've always seen him as more comfortable in the right CB position, or in a back 3. Unfortunately we have Bednarek who is also a RCB. Either we get ABK back fit and keep him or we're ideally going to need a left footed CB signing, or at least a CB who is comfortable playing at LCB a la Van Dijk. I know that's not always possible but I do think it would give the defence more balance. The other issue is that with the full backs bombing forwards, we ideally need a proper DM to slot back into the defence - which of course we didn't have last night. Smallbone was very tidy but he is not a DM. Hopefully Charles can be this player long term.

The other thing to note is that because of our pressing and passing game, we were susceptible to the counter attack, and neither Bednarek or Stephens are particularly known for their speed, which you need when a side is bombing at you. I think going forward it will be Bednarek OR Stephens +1. That would also be my concern about making him captain - is he going to be selected most of the time? I feel a captain should play most games.

Good positioning for the shot that was cleared off the line though. If we're going to challenge for promotion we need goals across the team.

Didn't Bednarek always play left CB for Poland? 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Didn't Bednarek always play left CB for Poland? 

Having a look through Transfermrkt, not a lot but in some line ups when he's been partnered with Glik he has - I guess Glik is even more right footed than Jan! However for Saints I genuinely can't remember a time when he's played LCB. I did see his debut against Fulham at Craven Cottage though in the FA Cup when he played right back though!

Played some really good passes from the back and looked comfortable on the ball, but he’s paid to defend and his defending was just about adequate. It’s really just a trade off between this possession from the back style & defending robustly, because I doubt they’ll be any big ugly pirates who can play out from the back wanting to play for us in the championship. 

• Like 1

Seen reported this morning that JS is our new Club Captain now JWP has been confirmed as gone. Not entirely sure what I think of this…he’s been around a long time and is a vocal presence in the changing room. Just seems a bit strange that not long ago he was exiled out on loan and now he’s back in the building as a first on the team sheet. Bit out of the blue really but shows that the judgement of our previous two Managers was quite different to Martins view and where he places his trust.

Good luck to him…hope he's a catalyst for more grittier, harder working team.

It might be that ‘club captain’ is different to matchday captain should the likes of Matt Grimes arrive in the coming weeks. JS as the steady long serving club man for established influence and MG as the more dynamic Russball stalwart during games. Happened before. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Miltonaggro said:

It might be that ‘club captain’ is different to matchday captain should the likes of Matt Grimes arrive in the coming weeks. JS as the steady long serving club man for established influence and MG as the more dynamic Russball stalwart during games. Happened before. 

Yeah, you've reminded me that there once was a Club Captain and a Team Captain, but that was many moons ago and I don't think the two positions have been used for at least 3-4 seasons.  It always seemed a bit false and just a way of rewarding senior players loyalty, which nowadays lets face it is pretty rare.

Just now, Saint Fan CaM said:

Yeah, you've reminded me that there once was a Club Captain and a Team Captain, but that was many moons ago and I don't think the two positions have been used for at least 3-4 seasons.  It always seemed a bit false and just a way of rewarding senior players loyalty, which nowadays lets face it is pretty rare.

I think JS had a similar role previously so you never know. Could depend on whether we get Grimes.

2 minutes ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Kelvin davis was club captain wasn't he? I think it was more because they didn't want a captain to be stuck in goal. 

14 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Kelvin davis was club captain wasn't he? I think it was more because they didn't want a captain to be stuck in goal. 

Yeah you're right it was Kelv and although not expressly mentioned, it may have something to do with him being in goal. However I seem to remember the two positions were always a thing but I can't for the life of me remember who each were - I guess it's written down somewhere.

9 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Bednarek I think. Stephens is the one who played it short straight across to an opposition player.

You’d think he’d be given a shout as we had such a high line. Can’t be f*ckin about with it there, similar to bednarek vs bournemouth in pre season. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, SotonianWill said:

You’d think he’d be given a shout as we had such a high line. Can’t be f*ckin about with it there, similar to bednarek vs bournemouth in pre season. 

This pissing around at the back worries me. We are going to concede far more goals than we’ll ever score through it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Why don't we come to terms with the fact that we have been relegated and accept that to get out of this division we need to build a team with spirit. Both Stephens and Bednarek at least seem to care. 

That’s ok then, when they regularly fuck up by being unable to defend the basics we can console ourselves safe in the knowledge that they care !

• Like 2

If anyone in this forum thought that our CB options for the season were suitable in spite of the opening day result, then I don't know what to say.  Some of you are clearly happy to settle for utter dross in the hope that they play well once in 5 games in the name of "pashun" and "loyaltee".  They've always been bang average, they continue to be bang average.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, danjosaint said:

'Average' is being nice to them,  especially Stephens who is and always been shit, no concept at what's around him, when to drop or when to commit, really is poor, if RM can't see that then God help us 

And he's the better one... At least he can pass the ball.  Bednarek is devoid of any redeemable defensive attributes.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sergei Gotsmanov said:

Why don't we come to terms with the fact that we have been relegated and accept that to get out of this division we need to build a team with spirit. Both Stephens and Bednarek at least seem to care. 

Similar weird thing that people use with Lyanco. 

There’s 30 thousand people there today who cared. 

Five years ago I thought that Stephens was league one standard and nothing since has changed my mind. 

We are trying to get promotion , the fact we extended this abomination and made him captain is symptomatic of the poor decisions at SFC these days.  We need someone who can actually lead this bunch of deadbeats and have some drive and accountability, instead we’ve got Mr Mistake who can’t do the basics and certainly can’t lead by example.  Depressing.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

He was abysmal.  Cannot defend.  Loved his turn to the side for the goal that hit the top corner.  So very fucking brave.

My apologies, just seen the replay, it was Bednarek.  Thanks Jan, for putting your body on the line, you lanky streak of piss.

9 hours ago, Greedyfly said:

If anyone in this forum thought that our CB options for the season were suitable in spite of the opening day result, then I don't know what to say.  Some of you are clearly happy to settle for utter dross in the hope that they play well once in 5 games in the name of "pashun" and "loyaltee".  They've always been bang average, they continue to be bang average.

Why do you need to spell passion and loyalty that way, it detracts from your point.

The point about passion, spirt, effort of what ever you want to call it, is that a footballer needs that to operate at their best and it can compensate for other deficiencies. They are average players, but that doesn't make them shit players.

Edited by Fan The Flames

15 minutes ago, Smirking_Saint said:

Possibly, but he was at fault for the 1st and 4th

Really, the first one Manning should have challenged Barnes, so he couldn't take it down, then Manning and Edozie should have closed the cross down.

The 4th one Tella lets the guy get away too easily and then Manning just had to smash that ball away.

Stephens was being reactive in both goals but you'll be hard pressed to say he was the fault for either of them.

I have a bit of sympathy for the CB's yesterday due to the team set up which meant they were massively exposed pretty much every time we lost the ball.

Quite often there were 3 or 4 Norwich players breaking at a point where we only had the CB's in defensive positions, they weren't helped by some of our other players who seemingly didn't appear overly enthused about tracking back to help out.

By no means am I absolving them of any responsibility for some of the goals or other mistakes but I don't think they were completely horrendous.

Also they did combine for the first goal.

• Like 3