Jack Stephens

Professor

Perhaps one of our under-rated players but repaid the confidence shown in him by the manager with a solid performance in the cup game against West Ham. Playing as the primary central defender, alongside the inexperienced Yan Valery, Stephens marshalled the defence well nd made some important tackles. TheWest Ham goal was through no fault of his, as it was keeper, Cabellero, who mishandled the cros form a corner kick, allowing the ball to be bundled into the goal.  

Stephens joioned as a 17-year old right back from Plymouth, where he first appeared as a sub for Argyll's first team at the age of 16.  Hard to believe that he's now 28.  His early years with Saints saw him out on loan.  He was converted to  acentre back and eventually established himself as a squad player but rarely first choice.  His selection against West Ham was his 10th start this season (6 League games and 4  cup matches).  The first choice centre back pairing of Salisu and Bednarek is well-established but having Stephens ready to step up must help keep them on their toes.

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
Just now, Edmonton Saint said:

Still don’t know why on earth we sanctioned a new contract for this guy. Goodbye and good riddance, big part of the apathy that has haunted this squad for the last few seasons. Glad to see we are finally moving on .

Bit harsh.

He gave his all whenever he played, was part of some proper backs to the wall performances from us. Limited, yes, and we have needed better than him. Wish him all the best though, hope he gets the games at Bournemouth.

• Like 6

Always wanted him to come good, but he never quite made it and him being in the team always gave me an 'oh shit' feeling. The fact he played so many games does highlight how the quality of our squad decined in recent years.

That said, he did perform very well for the first few games of last season before getting injured.

It's fair to say that the standard of CB we now have (and seem to be chasing) are much higher.

But good luck Jack, and thanks for effort.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Always wanted him to come good, but he never quite made it and him being in the team always gave me an 'oh shit' feeling. The fact he played so many games does highlight how the quality of our squad decined in recent years.

That said, he did perform very well for the first few games of last season before getting injured.

It's fair to say that the standard of CB we now have (and seem to be chasing) are much higher.

A good lad but ultimately not the level needed. I don’t think he helped himself by being part of the Charlie Austin clique when he should have been developing himself. But still all the best to him

4 minutes ago, Suhari said:

Agree with this. He has done well to still be able to get a move to a prem club

Not his problem that he's not good enough, it's the clubs fault that he's played so much.  But I have to say that he's not let anyone down ever through effort, and was part of that defence that won up at Anfield which I'll always be grateful for. 

Wish him the best of luck, probably a bit of a shame it's not a permanent deal, as if him and Bednarek are out on loan, we might find ourselves with 8 centre backs next summer

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Edmonton Saint said:

Still don’t know why on earth we sanctioned a new contract for this guy. Goodbye and good riddance, big part of the apathy that has haunted this squad for the last few seasons. Glad to see we are finally moving on .

How to admit you have never watched us play without actually saying it. I don't think I have seen a worst take on a player on here, and there have been some absolute belters!

He's always given his all, provided some aggression on the pitch, but doesn't quite have the consistency to be an EPL player. Always one howler in a game. The reality is it is probably one division too high for him. That's not his fault, I do feel he pushed himself to be his best, it just wasn't enough. 

We have shifted so many players on loan for attitude problems over the last few years. Why would we hold onto a mediocre player if he was stinking the place out. 

• Like 3

I always liked Jack, remember this is the last of the League One players that had to make the step up and he did so without moaning and to semi-success. He's never moaned about being 4th choice and it's not his fault he's not equipped to play at this level, he just found himself at a club that kept getting promoted. Passionate just not quite good enough.

Remember when him and Yoshida were our partnership after we panic signed Caceres after selling Fonte with no replacement....

I assume he'll get a testimonial when he does leave?

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Jack Stephens - Official: Loaned to Bournemouth
1 hour ago, Sheaf Saint said:

image.png.8f4c52c65dce337ba6e417b532ec88ec.png

Always liked the caption someone put to this - JWP "go on Jack! I'll hold your coat". 

He's done alright for us, and fair play to himself he has done well for himself, but one thing he is top of the league in, is shithousery. He couldn't give a monkeys how big a name he is winding up. Said it before, League cup final going toe to toe with Ibrahimovic after skirmish in our box, was a highlight of the afternoon. Looked like the conversation was from Jack "If you want a shotat the title lets go for it here and now big man" and Ibrahimovics reaction seemed to be - maybe I should go and play with someone else.

The big important question now though is - who is going to be the Chair of the players fines appeals committee, last I heard he never overturned one appeal.    

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Edmonton Saint said:

Stupid comment. He's been a loyal servant, giving his all. Have a bit of class pal. 

• Like 3

While I want Jack to do well, I also want Bournemouth to continue to ship in loads of goals and be one of the three definitely keeping us safe.

While he might not have been the first choice with us, 's been no bad thing to have him availalbe as squad player, able to do a job when required. He has looked good in short spells. Perhaps longer first team runs will allow him to get past any set backs and settle into playing regular first team football. I've always liked his attitude on the pitch, and thought he'd improved under Ralph.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

a two year extension for Jack who must rate as a veteran player by now.  He is actually the longest serving player still at the club - even a bit longer than JWP.

Growing up in the shadow of Fonte and Van Dijk he was thrust into action when both were suddenly out of the picture, and partnered up with Maya Yoshida

when neither  was a natural first team choice.  A real baptism of fire and not an easy task for him to suddenly adapt to the Prem.  

He is a bit of a Marmite player for some, but always gives 100% and although picking up a few yellow cards along the way, is not afraid to get stuck in.

Hopefully he may be able to partner up with Bednarek  (always assuming he stays), but also a good chance for him to show up and do well. 

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Some passion, seemingly some leadership skills and doesn't mind being a little tough at times. Chips in with a few set-piece goals too.

Regular starter and captain in the prem? Nope.

In the Championship? I think we could do much worse.

• Like 3

I've always thought he was comfortable with the ball at his feet. He does make the odd rick, which can be costly and makes you think he's bad with the ball at his feet. 

I've never been sure if he's any good in the air. Crosses invariably seem to find opposing strikers. CBs can't be everywhere, but does he take up the best positions? 

A lot of pretty average prem CBs, Steve Cook for example, have dropped down a division and helped get a side promoted. Hope Stephens can do the same. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tom said:

JWP been here since he was 8 and made his 1st first team appearance before Stephens?

you're right about Prowsey's Academy service of course,  but Jack is almost one year older than James and  signed his pro-contract in April 2011

JWP was at the club much earlier,  but didn't get to sign his first pro-contract until after we got promoted in May 2012.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chez said:

I know most (not all) would like the CB pairing to be ABK and some fantastic new CB signing, but in reality, Stephens-Bednarek is perhaps as good as it gets. It feels bloody weird typing that...

AbK and Stephens for me would be great, If RM can add that ball playing prowess to ABK with his physically and speed then he is going to be absolutely quality. Providing he stays.

2 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

AbK and Stephens for me would be great, If RM can add that ball playing prowess to ABK with his physically and speed then he is going to be absolutely quality. Providing he stays.

And providing he has had the shoulder op he needs

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

Not afraid to make his prescence felt on the pitch (doubt Bruno Fernandes has forgotten him) and can be vocal with his team-mates when needed.

Next captain for me.

In view of the emphasis on his leadership skills   in the press report on the os this is highly likely.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

I was going to say if ABK could be added to the mix, then you would have to feel relatively content. This is the championship after all. But Id be surprised if he didn't leave. I think we need to brace ourselves for a second wave of departures.

• Like 2

I can’t see ABK being around for too long. Also the club are clearly quite keen to shift Lyanco given the Turkish breakdown then taking his number off him. I think if both go then Rusty will be allowed to bring one in, but if only one goes we’re stuck with what’s left. I don’t think Lyanco would be terrible in this league to be fair, but he wouldn’t be many peoples choice and maybe best if the club can engineer him a move away.

Personally I think this is a great piece of business by the club.

As others have said I was a bit surprised when he went on loan to Bournemouth last year but that was because they had great plans for a new defence (which we all know went pearshaped to put it politely). He seemed to have a pretty good season at Bournemouth once they found their shape and he got established in the team.

We'd all be getting really excited if the club announced we'd signed a new CB with premier league experience, which is effectively what this is.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1