Sunderland 5-0 Southampton

coalman

Still can't get my head round the constant walking football when playing out from the back. The opponents get wise to it and know they have time to press and we end up giving it away in dangerous areas. Holgate and Bednarek were the main culprits today. The teams who play out from the back properly do it at a quick pace with good awareness for the pass and move. We are doing it for the sake of it - oh, aren't we a good footballing side passing out from the back? No because you're doing it completely wrong and, if that isn't sorted, we'll concede a shed load of goals this season - a 4 and a 5 against in 5 games is not a great sign.

• Like 9

Just now, Viking Saint said:

Hugely experienced premiership and international keeper with 93 caps, Premiership and FA cup winner, I'll take that every single day over the absolute proven catastrophe we currently have between the sticks.

Ok Champ. Get him in.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-12110583/Kasper-Schmeichel-annoying-Nice-team-mates-way-does-wants-training.html

• Like 1

Utter fucking shambles. 

There is a reason Holgate couldn't get into the basket case Everton line-up.

I have never criticized Bazumu on here before and personally felt his treatment on here was a bit harsh, but I'm afraid today I have to agree and say he is not up to it. Rabbit in the headlights stuff today. Unfortunately McCarthy is worse I believe. Haven't read all through these pages, but can we still get Schmeichel as he is a free agent. It must be a consideration.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Bad Wolf said:

Disgraceful performance!!

How does anyone think Smallbone is good?! Dreadful player who gets away with it because he's from the academy. No doubt when he'd 28, we'll sell him to Exeter and then every time he does anything in League One, it'll be "HE NEVER GOT A FAIR CHANCE!!!!". Holgate was the worst debut I've seen since Alan Bennett. Downes was the only player who looked like he gave a shit and he's not even our player!!! Mara is just appalling.

Bazunu at fault for one goal but no doubt he'll be blamed for all 5 and for not curing cancer between goals.

He was 'Man of the Match' against Shef Wed    -  in the opinion of many on here!                                                                                         He's watched too many videos of Henderson and perfected the 2-3 yard pass in any direction.

2 minutes ago, skintsaint said:

'Despite this, Schmeichel has been between the sticks for the team with the second-best defensive record in the French top flight'

Wouldn't want this now, would we??

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Beginning the long journey home which started at 3am this morning.

I think Martin has done a great job so far given all of the disruption, but he needs to learn quickly after today as in my opinion he played a part in that performance.

It was a huge surprise to see Mara start, but I assumed that meant AA would play out wide.  Mara offered nothing out there, and to be fair to him he is a Centre forward (albeit of limited quality).  

Second error was having seen first ten mins why stick with one holding midfielder?  Clearly we were exposed on transition and it would have been easy to ask Smallbone to play alongside Downes to rebalance the team.

Third error for me was leaving Smallbone and Mara on at halftime.  Then fourth,  fifth and sixth error was ending with Manning at Centre back, KWP left back and Charles right back.  Why?

Sure the players need to be held to account, several were very poor, but that was a shocker of a tactical and selection performance from Martin.

• Like 12

Fuck a duck! Travelling this afternoon so missed the debacle, will watch the dissection later with alcohol. A goalie who is a grown adult and defenders who can communicate would appear a good start. This has been coming. Deju fucking view, Martin’s honeymoon interrupted by a waiter pissing in the soup! 

Absolutely dreadful. We looked weak and slow most of the time. Their tackling was much better, we left great gaps down both wings on the counter. Very surprised and disappointed that KWP was taken apart by a very young Clarke. A massive hole where JWP would have been directing play. No height for corners and set pieces. Of course Mowbray has loads of experience and tactical nouse and completely out-thought Martin. Don't put so much of, the blame on Bazunu, keeping without a defence isn't easy, he should have saved two, fourth he was completely unsighted for as it looked as if it was going to hit an attacker, he made two or three good saves. While he has faults you really can't blame this sh-tshow on him, I didn't see amyone play really well.

We can just hope that Martin has the tactical abililty to sort this lot out in the international break,and not be so predictable

• Like 1

The centre of the team is still so weak. Martin's selection and tactical choices throughout the game were a bit baffling, really, and seemed to entirely miss the lack of central control we had over the game. Where's the fight and presence in the middle?

I pray Swansea fans' comments about Martin's defensive tactics don't play out across the whole season. If they do, automatic promotion is a no-go. From memory, our last promotion team was exceptionally tight at the back. The worry this season is that we genuinely cannot see where the next clean sheet is coming from.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gallaghert366@yahoo.com said:

He was 'Man of the Match' against Shef Wed    -  in the opinion of many on here!                                                                                         He's watched too many videos of Henderson and perfected the 2-3 yard pass in any direction.

And if Sheff Wed was his debut, they might have a point but he's played many times before that and showed he isn't good enough. 

But because he's an academy boy he'll keep getting chance after chance after chance. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, cambsaint said:

Absolutely dreadful. We looked weak and slow most of the time. Their tackling was much better, we left great gaps down both wings on the counter. Very surprised and disappointed that KWP was taken apart by a very young Clarke. A massive hole where JWP would have been directing play. No height for corners and set pieces. Of course Mowbray has loads of experience and tactical nouse and completely out-thought Martin. Don't put so much of, the blame on Bazunu, keeping without a defence isn't easy, he should have saved two, fourth he was completely unsighted for as it looked as if it was going to hit an attacker, he made two or three good saves. While he has faults you really can't blame this sh-tshow on him, I didn't see amyone play really well.

We can just hope that Martin has the tactical abililty to sort this lot out in the international break,and not be so predictable

No getting away from it the defence was awful. However, that doesn't give Baz a pass for his errors. A competent keeper saves goals 2,  3 and 5 and I get that major mistakes were made in front of him for those 3 goals. He also spooned a save back into the danger area instead of getting it wide from a free kick.  

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

He made 3-4 saves, sure. That's what a goalkeeper is supposed to do. Why is he letting in the 3rd and 5th for fucks sake?

Agreed. Crediting a goalkeeper that makes huge errors with any saves is ridiculous. Making saves is literally his job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

One thing I wonder is do they watch the game back together, you never really hear of that anymore.

Saying this because we make that same weak as piss mistakes over and over again, game after game.

I really don’t think they give a f&ck, they’re just here to pay the bills, nothing more.  Club has no vision or leadership since Cortese fecked off.

• Like 2

Just got back to the car from being at the game.Does this qualify us for a refund on our ticket after such an awful bad performance.Fair do's to the saints supporters still singing to the end.

I just could not figure out our formation at all.They had so much space.There is nothing to say about our defence that as already been said on here.To give away 4 goals in 2 games after only playing 5 games is certainly a worry if we are pushing for promotion.No need to panic yet but certainly needs improving,let's hope lessons are being learnt by the management.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SW11_Saint said:

Would have been about 8-9 with McCarthy in. 

Oh that’s ok then, today was actually a decent result because AmC would have let in more.

The whole thing is a joke, neither of them should be anywhere near this team.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nieldy said:

Just got back to the car from being at the game.Does this qualify us for a refund on our ticket after such an awful bad performance.Fair do's to the saints supporters still singing to the end.

I just could not figure out our formation at all.They had so much space.There is nothing to say about our defence that as already been said on here.To give away 4 goals in 2 games after only playing 5 games is certainly a worry if we are pushing for promotion.No need to panic yet but certainly needs improving,let's hope lessons are being learnt by the management.

Hate to disappoint you but it ended 5-0. Maybe you left before the end...nobody would blame you.

19 minutes ago, saintant said:

No getting away from it the defence was awful. However, that doesn't give Baz a pass for his errors. A competent keeper saves goals 2,  3 and 5 and I get that major mistakes were made in front of him for those 3 goals. He also spooned a save back into the danger area instead of getting it wide from a free kick.  

The fifth goal was not his fault. Let’s not let our obsession overrule reality.

For what it’s worth the others were unlikely to have been save by another keeper either but that doesn’t fit the narrative.

• Like 1

Well that was a wake up call.  Team mentality was totally wrong and didn't seem up for it at all.  You can have the greatest players and the best tactics but if the players aren't committed and don't compete then you'll always get shit.  

It was all far too pedestrian, too slow and far too safe.  Lots for RM to work on.

• Like 2

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

The fifth goal was not his fault. Let’s not let our obsession overrule reality.

For what it’s worth the others were unlikely to have been save by another keeper either but that doesn’t fit the narrative.

He got a good hand to the 5th goal but, as is often the case, his wrist just flapped and the ball went on its way with no deviation.  If he's worth his salt I'm sure he would admit he was very disappointed to let that in - it wasn't as though it was a powerful header, it was from a 16 year old not Ron Davies in his prime.

32 minutes ago, saintant said:

I'd let him off #2 due to the deflection, but he stops #1 if he sticks a foot out, which he needs to start doing as he's just so slow at getting down to shots with his hands

Edited by Viking Saint

2 minutes ago, saintant said:

He got a good hand to the 5th goal but, as is often the case, his wrist just flapped and the ball went on its way with no deviation.  If he's worth his salt I'm sure he would admit he was very disappointed to let that in - it wasn't as though it was a powerful header, it was from a 16 year old not Ron Davies in his prime.

Up off the ground from a firm header. A classic striker’s effort.

Just now, Viking Saint said:

I'd let him.off #2 due to the deflection, but he stops #1 if eh sticks a foot out., which he needs to start doing as he's just so slow at getting down to shots with his hands

I think he must have been taught to go down with his hands. He is very agile but not strong enough.

1 minute ago, Challenger said:

The possession based crab football was the undoing in the Prem and it's now been sussed out in this league.

We seem to recruit specifically ( on and off the pitch )for a system that opponents counter with ease.

I have always believed that it will cost us more goals than it creates.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Challenger said:

The possession based crab football was the undoing in the Prem and it's now been sussed out in this league.

We seem to recruit specifically ( on and off the pitch )for a system that opponents counter with ease.

Any system is easy to counter when players can run through the middle of the pitch at the defence, shoot at keeper that rarely saves anything and full backs that don’t track their men from crosses. 

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, Viking Saint said:

I'd let him off #2 due to the deflection, but he stops #1 if he sticks a foot out, which he needs to start doing as he's just so slow at getting down to shots with his hands

Glad somebody else has seen that.  I’ve been saying it for ages.  He is so slow getting down and is not athletic at all.  
The Newcastle home game last season highlighted this deficiency to me.  All low and within reach but he was like a lumbering buffoon.

• Like 1

We've had a good window and I'm hoping there is enough there for RM to produce a side that has good possession stats but mixes the passing stuff with some powerful direct running with balls in behind retreating defences. Sunderland did the latter to us all game and made us look pathetic - their guy on the left, think it was Clarke, was the best player on the pitch. RM was taught a hard lesson by Mowbray today - from what we hear from Swansea fans he will probably not be swayed. I'm not convinced the mantra of relying 100% on possession football will get us out of this division as it's far too one dimensional. The next few games will be interesting for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OttawaSaint said:

One thing I wonder is do they watch the game back together, you never really hear of that anymore.

Saying this because we make that same weak as piss mistakes over and over again, game after game.

This is squarely on Martin’s shoulders. Bizarre team selection with unfit and out of practice players picked when they are not ready I play. Bizarre to pick AA up front, everyone knows he is shite there except Martin it seems.

As for ‘tactics’ Martin must see the same reason we concede on the counter every game but literally does does sod all to change the blindingly obvious that, if we have 8 men in front of the ball when we lose possession we lose a goal on their counter Isn’t that what managers are paid millions to sort out?

This guy is a great talker and loves his little favs in the ‘group’ However the tactical nouse is sadly and obviously lacking.

Edited by captainchris

1 minute ago, captainchris said:

This is squarely on Martin’s shoulders. Bizarre team selection with unfit and out of practice players picked when they are not ready I play. Bizarre to pick AA up front, every e knows he is shite there except Martin it seems.

As for ‘tactics’ Martin must see the same reason we concede on the counter every game but literally does does sod all to change the blindingly obvious that if we have 8 men in front of the ball when we lose possession we lose a goal.. Isn’t that what managers are paid millions to sort out?

This guy is a great talker and loves his little favs in the ‘group’ However the tactical nouse is sadly and obviously lacking.

I think they were giving away corners to set up counter attacks 🙂

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Sunderland 5-0 Southampton
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic