Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

If we are really serious about promotion this year, anything other than a win will be points dropped. These are the games that we should be taking in our stride, we are in good form, they are not. We need to kick on and try to close the gap between us and Leicester and Ipswich. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Captain Jack said:

anyone reckon we might get more tickets - i can probably get to this game, but have no ticket. If anyone has one to sell let me know please :)

If you're on Twitter, have a look on there. I've seen a few tickets available on there. I think we've sold out the maximum allocation sadly but I'm sure there'll be one available

3 hours ago, Wade Garrett said:

These international breaks are a fucking pain in the arse.

Drag on for ages and feels like we have them so often, September, October, November,  not ideal for a team like us with lots of call ups 

• Like 4

Just had a nose on their forum and they are not in good place right now. All doom and gloom and expecting a rinsing on Saturday - apparently they only had 3 touches in Hull’s penalty area in 98 mins last time out.

This sold out for Saints over a week ago so looks like we won’t be getting any more tickets, would have heard something by now. Bit strange, the rest of that end will be empty, guess they don’t need the revenue.

Last time I was there I went to Huddersfield v Palace with a Palace mate the day before the we played Wigan in the 1/4 final. Possibly the 2 coldest games of football I've ever been to.

Huddersfield is a decent town, loads of great pubs near each other. Very cheap as well. 

3 hours ago, fanimal said:

Eeh lads will be bloody freezing oop there on Saturday a right shock for us Southern softies!!

It's unusually mild for the time of year up here in Yorkshire at the moment, but looks like the temperature is forecast to drop significantly before the weekend. Might even have to put a jumper on! 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Just had a nose on their forum and they are not in good place right now. All doom and gloom and expecting a rinsing on Saturday - apparently they only had 3 touches in Hull’s penalty area in 98 mins last time out.

This sold out for Saints over a week ago so looks like we won’t be getting any more tickets, would have heard something by now. Bit strange, the rest of that end will be empty, guess they don’t need the revenue.

Aren't there home fans next to us in the same end still? Used to be their most vocal section, surprised if its just left empty now. 

On 17/11/2023 at 08:18, Micky said:

If we are really serious about promotion this year, anything other than a win will be points dropped. These are the games that we should be taking in our stride, we are in good form, they are not. We need to kick on and try to close the gap between us and Leicester and Ipswich. 

Agreed but we WILL drop points against lesser teams. Just like every other team to have ever been promoted. It happens. Our fans just have a tendency to overreact when it does. The boo's at the end of the Rotherham games as an example. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Not related to this game but I've got 2 adult Watford tickets for sale if anyone is interested. 

There's someone looking for tickets for Watford on the Saints Away forum

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60509-watford-spare-wanted/

Someone else also has a couple of Huddersfield tickets up for grabs

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/topic/60507-huddersfield-tickets-for-sale/

Now that we are getting used to winning again let's hope complacency doesn't start to set in. We have to be in this for the long haul as there is no sign yet of the three above us faltering. It's a must win but we're still not convincing enough in our performances to guarantee it. I fear a 1-1 draw is on the cards with the disruption caused by players' being away on national duties

One of the important ( apart from the 3pts!) things about the 1st game or two back after these breaks is getting the rhythm back. 

The quicker we regain that tempo the better. Our unbeaten run coincides with player actions that previously took some thought ( and time) now happening more automatically ( and quicker). 

This tends to happen with every learning process and the more it’s repeated, successfully, the more proficient you generally become. 

It’s a game played by fallible human beings though so anything is possible. BUT the higher ones default level it becomes possible to win or not lose - even when not playing at one’s best. That’s what I hope Saints can start to cement in the foundations as we look to extend this unbeaten run. 

Simply winning will do it. Winning and playing russball well does it even better. If we are losing 2-1 in 95th minute and we equalise I will take it though! I’m also mindful that we are still only one defeat away from a forum meltdown so let’s pray that does not happen! 

Edited by gio1saints
  • Like 1

I'm coaching at DEF Youth Northern Regiments football match in the morning, home and changed then onto the rattler changing at Leeds for the game. Expect to be mobbed by Huddersfields lads on the way to the ground offering to buy me a pint, asking for photos and signing their Stone Island jumpers so worried i might not make kick off. Might have to go incognito for this one so as not to draw attention to ourselves and slip the old bill so we can stroll around unchallenged all day. A win on the pitch, a right royal arse licking off it

• Haha 2

7 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Now that we are getting used to winning again let's hope complacency doesn't start to set in. We have to be in this for the long haul as there is no sign yet of the three above us faltering. It's a must win but we're still not convincing enough in our performances to guarantee it. I fear a 1-1 draw is on the cards with the disruption caused by players' being away on national duties

Leicester have lost their last two games; Ipswich have drawn two of their last three games.

• Like 1

Huddersfield Presser....

• In a fairly good place for fitness
  • better than what we thought we would be, every came back relatively fit
  • those who stayed behind have got fitter, people have done a lot of travelling
  • we have another 3 game week, so will be interesting to prepare
  • Lads who stayed had a practice match against MK Dons, valuable minutes for people
  • we are ready and prepared for another difficult test, in another busy period
  • Ross is looking really good, he stepped up against MK, played longer
  • I do not want to put too much expectation on him as he has been out for a long time
  • He is building up really nicely and fully part of the squad, he has been impressive
  • Jack stephens back on the grass and the group were clapping when they saw him
  • Will take a little bit of time, but he is coming back and he is really important
  • The opposition may be a factor on who plays where up front, it is an educated guess for all managers
  • We will be adaptable on who plays from what positions, but the players understand different roles they may be asked to play
  • it will change again, despite the consistency in selection, the squad is hugely important
  • Will be sitting in the Directors Box as have a 1 match ban. Be frustrating but I have to learn from this
  • I doubt it will not impact the team, but it is an annoyance. 2 of the bookings I got were nonsensical
  • As a group we are pretty calm for most of the game, then get punished for a moment, yet other 4th officials can get abused all game and nothing happens
  • Darren Moore is a great guy, they will make it difficult, like they did against Hull
  • They will have worked hard over the last 2 weeks, but we must dictate the game
  • The job he did at Wednesday was fantastic, look forward to seeing him after and speaking to him
  • He will probably do a great job over time at Huddersfield
  • 10 games in the next 37 days, this is a long season and we have fought so hard to put ourselves back where we are
  • that effort must be maintained as other teams just keep winning
  • we must just focus on ourselves, but now the table is taking shape, but teams can still come from nowhere and get into the playoffs
  • we are not where we want to be, but now the momentum is building, the supporters can now feel it, and we can feel it.
  • We beat WBA with spirit as the performance was not good, the crowd were onside, and is part of our building
  • we have so much where we can improve and we will
  • The whole club is building momentum and the ladies team is part of that. it will be a brilliant occasion 
  • The improvement is not just with the main teams, but the academies are growing
  • Like 8

37 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Huddersfield Presser....

• In a fairly good place for fitness
  • better than what we thought we would be, every came back relatively fit
  • those who stayed behind have got fitter, people have done a lot of travelling
  • we have another 3 game week, so will be interesting to prepare
  • Lads who stayed had a practice match against MK Dons, valuable minutes for people
  • we are ready and prepared for another difficult test, in another busy period
  • Ross is looking really good, he stepped up against MK, played longer
  • I do not want to put too much expectation on him as he has been out for a long time
  • He is building up really nicely and fully part of the squad, he has been impressive
  • Jack stephens back on the grass and the group were clapping when they saw him
  • Will take a little bit of time, but he is coming back and he is really important
  • The opposition may be a factor on who plays where up front, it is an educated guess for all managers
  • We will be adaptable on who plays from what positions, but the players understand different roles they may be asked to play
  • it will change again, despite the consistency in selection, the squad is hugely important
  • Will be sitting in the Directors Box as have a 1 match ban. Be frustrating but I have to learn from this
  • I doubt it will not impact the team, but it is an annoyance. 2 of the bookings I got were nonsensical
  • As a group we are pretty calm for most of the game, then get punished for a moment, yet other 4th officials can get abused all game and nothing happens
  • Darren Moore is a great guy, they will make it difficult, like they did against Hull
  • They will have worked hard over the last 2 weeks, but we must dictate the game
  • The job he did at Wednesday was fantastic, look forward to seeing him after and speaking to him
  • He will probably do a great job over time at Huddersfield
  • 10 games in the next 37 days, this is a long season and we have fought so hard to put ourselves back where we are
  • that effort must be maintained as other teams just keep winning
  • we must just focus on ourselves, but now the table is taking shape, but teams can still come from nowhere and get into the playoffs
  • we are not where we want to be, but now the momentum is building, the supporters can now feel it, and we can feel it.
  • We beat WBA with spirit as the performance was not good, the crowd were onside, and is part of our building
  • we have so much where we can improve and we will
  • The whole club is building momentum and the ladies team is part of that. it will be a brilliant occasion 
  • The improvement is not just with the main teams, but the academies are growing

As always cheers

8 hours ago, Turkish said:

Despite being a skate i quite like Darren Moore.

Why? Don’t skates like Darren Moore? 🤣😉

On another note, looks like there might be a selection headache for RS with players coming back.  I just hope he doesn’t go into tinkerman mode to shoehorn in his favs.

6 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Why? Don’t skates like Darren Moore? 🤣😉

On another note, looks like there might be a selection headache for RS with players coming back.  I just hope he doesn’t go into tinkerman mode to shoehorn in his favs.

Who are his favourites? Top scorer Adam Armstrong? Recently dropped Ryan Manning?

• Like 3

1 hour ago, eurosaint said:

Only Smallbone can be added to that list but tbf most managers have their favourites and in his case he does not have total blindspots !!

Smallbone our current joint second top scorer? He's decent at this level and doing a decent job, fans dont like him because he's not dynamic enough but he's worth his place in the team at the moment.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, JRM said:

Smallbone dropped out of Ireland squad with an injury, likewise Che Adams with Scotland, Sulemana returned from Ghana not clear if injured, any news on those players? 

He said in the press conference (not presser FFS) that everyone came back relatively fit, assume that means they are all okay.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Saturday 25th 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic