Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

2 hours ago, The Cat said:

Who are his favourites? Top scorer Adam Armstrong? Recently dropped Ryan Manning?

Indeed. I get the impression that he'll drop or select anyone. Manning shows that, and if AA's form dips, and someone else is showing up in training, he'll be dropped. As it should be. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, egg said:

Indeed. I get the impression that he'll drop or select anyone. Manning shows that, and if AA's form dips, and someone else is showing up in training, he'll be dropped. As it should be. 

yep and replaced Manning with Bree who was completely out of the picture for the first 10 games or so, so it shows that he's also not freezing anyone out if they can do a job.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Turkish said:

yep and replaced Manning with Bree who was completely out of the picture for the first 10 games or so, so it shows that he's also not freezing anyone out if they can do a job.

And changed tactics to suit Bree, or changed tactics and picked a player to suit those tactics. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Smallbone our current joint second top scorer? He's decent at this level and doing a decent job, fans dont like him because he's not dynamic enough but he's worth his place in the team at the moment.

I like him. Been solid so far for us. Don’t get the dislike really. Your guess that he’s not dynamic enough is probably a good one, he sometimes looks like he’s playing at walking pace. But I think it’s just the way he runs as he always puts in a shift. 

• Like 3

Smallbone has decent potential, is a solid championship player and is ‘one of our own’. He is underrated by our fanbase based on this forum and X (Twitter).

He fits our possession model and arrives into the box well. Suits some games better than others of course, but I think he’s having a good season so far, especially now Downes is fit and firing. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

Smallbone has decent potential, is a solid championship player and is ‘one of our own’. He is underrated by our fanbase based on this forum and X (Twitter).

He fits our possession model and arrives into the box well. Suits some games better than others of course, but I think he’s having a good season so far, especially now Downes is fit and firing. 

I was pretty critical of him whenever he played for us in the prem - he was like a ghost in games. He made zero impact and was totally ill equipped to play in the middle. The Championship is obviously an entirely different level, and from what I have seen so far, he is more than cut out to play at this level and overall has looked a real asset.

What impresses me most is his quality and weight of pass. Basically, he gives is a bit of welly, which helps to speed things up and increase out intensity. When he has been subbed, that quality of passing has gone down significantly. 

The negative is his tackling. Its has been pathetic at times. And that really showed up against Boro, where he dangled a foot rather than go in for a couple of true 50:50s. For me, that is unacceptable for a central midfielder and really pissed me off at the time. I know the game has changed a lot and you hardly see a tackle these days, but I still expect a big six foot odd central midfielder to get stuck in when it is needed.

Other than that he's had a good season so far and hopefully it will continue to get better.    

• Like 5

21 hours ago, Turkish said:

I'm coaching at DEF Youth Northern Regiments football match in the morning, home and changed then onto the rattler changing at Leeds for the game. Expect to be mobbed by Huddersfields lads on the way to the ground offering to buy me a pint, asking for photos and signing their Stone Island jumpers so worried i might not make kick off. Might have to go incognito for this one so as not to draw attention to ourselves and slip the old bill so we can stroll around unchallenged all day. A win on the pitch, a right royal arse licking off it

I wish I knew what the fuck you were talking about.

• Haha 5

On 14/11/2023 at 07:46, Pamplemousse said:

Over 2000 fans is a great effort. Hopefully in the Premier League the ticket office stops taking the lowest possible allocation for many of the northern away games. 

Away end holds about 4000. I don't really understand why Huddersfield don't make the whole 4000 available and then Saints sell them gradually from one side to another. If 2000 are unsold, then you put you dividers/netting or whatever us used at that point in the stand. I guess perhaps we could have asked for more if the 2000 had sold out quicker. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Chez said:

I was pretty critical of him whenever he played for us in the prem - he was like a ghost in games. He made zero impact and was totally ill equipped to play in the middle. The Championship is obviously an entirely different level, and from what I have seen so far, he is more than cut out to play at this level and overall has looked a real asset.

What impresses me most is his quality and weight of pass. Basically, he gives is a bit of welly, which helps to speed things up and increase out intensity. When he has been subbed, that quality of passing has gone down significantly. 

The negative is his tackling. Its has been pathetic at times. And that really showed up against Boro, where he dangled a foot rather than go in for a couple of true 50:50s. For me, that is unacceptable for a central midfielder and really pissed me off at the time. I know the game has changed a lot and you hardly see a tackle these days, but I still expect a big six foot odd central midfielder to get stuck in when it is needed.

Other than that he's had a good season so far and hopefully it will continue to get better.    

Yes, pretty much agree with all this.  I really like Smallbone.  His tackling does let him down but he's probably our best passer of the ball.  Particularly like the way he can do quick incisive one touch passing.  I think he's best suited to a more advanced midfield role where he doesn't have to worry so much about the defensive side of the game and, once Ross Stewart is fit, then I think he'll be fighting it out with Alcaraz for that position.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

That's right; dear old Saint Russ has this old fashioned idea that it is important for fans to have at least one local lad in the team. In reality Smallbone gets more stick from fans - certainly on here - than any of the incomers except perhaps for Manning and Adams

23 minutes ago, Chez said:

Agreed with this. His tackling/positioning is dreadful but thankfully we've got Downes who is very good at both.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

Away end holds about 4000. I don't really understand why Huddersfield don't make the whole 4000 available and then Saints sell them gradually from one side to another. If 2000 are unsold, then you put you dividers/netting or whatever us used at that point in the stand. I guess perhaps we could have asked for more if the 2000 had sold out quicker. 

We sold out the full allocation of just over 2,300 over a week ago so plenty of time to get more if available so can only think Huddersfield just don't want an entire end full of away fans. Can't blame them.

2 hours ago, Chez said:

I have it on good authority that the Yorkshire police in conjunction with Interpol and the FBI advised Huddersfield not to make any additional tickets available given the "characters" that were going to be attending. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I have it on good authority that the Yorkshire police in conjunction with Interpol and the FBI advised Huddersfield not to make any additional tickets available given the "characters" that were going to be attending. 

Not surprised

image.png.42585deda53a9751a038ab777d073976.png

4 hours ago, Chez said:

Agree with this. On the tackling, while it's still one of his weaker areas, it has been getting better. I'd also add that he's been getting better in a lot of areas, not least because he's asked to fill a number of roles in the team at any given time. It might be gradual in specific areas, but overall he's coming on really impressively in Martin's system. Martin must have been delighted with what he saw in Smallbone, along with Baz. Both of whom have been improving under him.

• Like 2

Just realised on Thursday it will be 38 years since my first saints game. Home v Everton who were champions back then. Milton terrace with my dad, typically it ended in heroic failure, a good performance but a 2-3 loss. Everton only brought a 1500 or so I think as they obviously knew that saints firm had had a serious upgrade they day and so the DEF was born

Edited by Turkish

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Just realised on Thursday it will be 38 years since my first saints game. Home v Everton who were champions back then. Milton terrace with my dad, typically it ended in heroic failure, a good performance but a 2-3 loss. Everton only brought a 1500 or so I think as they obviously knew that saints firm had had a serious upgrade they day and so the DEF was born

Was that the day Everton got into the archers? Was going off everywhere in archers road.

anyway draw today.

Edited by Toadhall Saint

Is DEF like the circle of trust, only smaller ? 

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

Wasn't that the match when we were celebrating the club's centenary? Danny Wallace scored with a header! 

I went with an Everton supporting mate who couldn't believe that his wonderful Everton defence had allowed a 5 foot 4 inch midget to score with a header. 

Edited by Tamesaint

1 hour ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Was that the day Everton got into the archers? Was going off everywhere in archers road.

anyway draw today.

No think that was the year before, they were too scared to show after that season for obvious reasons #DEF

1 hour ago, Tamesaint said:

Wasn't that the match when we were celebrating the club's centenary? Danny Wallace scored with a header! 

I went with an Everton supporting mate who couldn't believe that his wonderful Everton defence had allowed a 5 foot 4 inch midget to score with a header. 

Yes it was but goalscorers were Glen Cockerill and Steve Moran. 

• Like 1

No think that was the year before, they were too scared to show after that season for obvious reasons #DEF

Yes it was but goalscorers were Glen Cockerill and Steve Moran. 

You are correct. Wallace didn't score in that game. Perhaps he came close or perhaps it was another year. I will need to check. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Saturday 25th 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic