Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

First away game for me for some time this (since Fratton 0-4, in fact). Taking my son, for whom this will be his first Saints game, talk about glamour! 

I went to Uni in Huddersfield (I know, more glamour). Underated town in my eyes. 

Should have the beating of them if we perform as we have done the last few weeks. 

• Like 5

Will be my first game of the season as it's only a short hop on the train for me. Never been to the ground, but I know the town quite well and there's plenty of decent pubs (and some really good local breweries) so it should be a good away day.

Their current form isn't good. Only one goal and one point in their last 4 games (0-0 against Watford), so as long as we can find our shooting boots we should beat them. Having said that, it feels like a banana skin type of game for us, but I've been saying that for weeks now and the lads keep proving me wrong so I'm hoping that will continue.

32 minutes ago, Saint_Jonny said:

First away game for me for some time this (since Fratton 0-4, in fact). Taking my son, for whom this will be his first Saints game, talk about glamour! 

I went to Uni in Huddersfield (I know, more glamour). Underated town in my eyes. 

Should have the beating of them if we perform as we have done the last few weeks. 

I agree it's a good place to visit , some great pubs on previous visits , enjoyed it. Looks like a lot are going , 2,339 allocation, only 60 tickets left currently. 

Hopefully no one picks up any knocks away on international duty , is Alcaraz away in South America again? 

3 games in a week with Bristol City and Cardiff to come at home as well , think we have a few players close to suspension now as well. 

Russell Martin will be in the stands at Huddersfield serving a one match touchline ban. 

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

We should win this really. We haven't thrashed a team for ages, I'd really like us to hammer someone 4 or 5 nil at some point.

Huddersfield will make it tough for us but we should win comfortably. I'll go for 2-0.

Would be good but I think Darren Moore is trying to get them organised at the back and hard to beat, they've won one of their last ten so expect it to be a tough game of us trying to break them down, similar to Millwall. 

Edited by JRM

No easy games in this league, but this is up there with "should win".  Squad is looking strong, with plenty of competition for places. Ross Stewart to start this one ?

Baz;

English Cafu
Bednarek
THB
Manning / Bree (Personally don't care)

Downes
Smallbone
Stu

Kamaldean
Arma
Alcaraz

Ross off the bench. 

Edited by Saint Garrett
  • Like 1

Apart from Holgate making way for Bednarek I’d hope for an unchanged side, that’s assuming the travelling doesn’t take it out of those on international duty. I haven’t seen elsewhere what the prognosis on Smallbone is but I’m assuming as he went and sat on the bench rather than going down the tunnel it’s more precautionary than an injury?

I’d expect see Stewart get a larger cameo, probably not quite ready for a start.

I agree with keeping team as unchanged as possible. Many times we try to be clever “ resting” players it ends badly.

Just pick our best fit players to beat Huddersfield and worry about Bristol and Cardiff matches afterwards.

I believe our squad is very strong though small and that by end of season when the physicality of this league has really eaten into some of the less high quality squads we will pull away. That, and the fact that we will be running less than our opponents match after match should count for some end of season extra freshness for us. 

Liking a bit of a flutter, I checked out the odds on this one. Like most games in this division, the heavy favourite (Saints in this case) are evens or just odds on.

There just aren’t the sort of “giants v minnows” fixtures that you get in the top flight.

I’m confident of a win here…but then we are about 50% to win most matches if you believe the bookies….

5 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

Liking a bit of a flutter, I checked out the odds on this one. Like most games in this division, the heavy favourite (Saints in this case) are evens or just odds on.

There just aren’t the sort of “giants v minnows” fixtures that you get in the top flight.

I’m confident of a win here…but then we are about 50% to win most matches if you believe the bookies….

Some money to be made there then, especially Saints win and BTTS…

Good manager Darren Moore. He will soon make them harder in defence. Add this to the fact we don't hammer teams and seem more to win by the odd goal and it looks likely something like 0-1. I really wish we could start to put teams like this to the sword. 0-3 by half time sort of thing, ending 1-4 would be nice. It might all come down to whether or not RS is fit enough to play at least 30 minutes. Starting him from the off might be hard....who would we drop to fit him in?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

Good manager Darren Moore. He will soon make them harder in defence. Add this to the fact we don't hammer teams and seem more to win by the odd goal and it looks likely something like 0-1. I really wish we could start to put teams like this to the sword. 0-3 by half time sort of thing, ending 1-4 would be nice. It might all come down to whether or not RS is fit enough to play at least 30 minutes. Starting him from the off might be hard....who would we drop to fit him in?

Could see the same forward like starting again before Stewart comes on for Sulemana with Armstrong moving out to a wider position.

Once he his ready to start games and everyone is fit it will be interesting to see who gets put on the bench.

Can't drop Adam Armstrong, so it's either Sulemana, Alcaraz or Stuart Armstrong. Maybe Sulemana would have to be the one? Harsh on any of them though.

I have to concede a lack of in depth knowledge here in terms of how we set up and where RS plays. I don't think he is the same type as KS or SA, so I can really only see AA being dropped, but that would not make any sense in terms of giving us more firepower. Will RM therefore change his set up in someway to accommodate them both and thus we have to lose some creativity?

22 minutes ago, east-stand-nic said:

I have to concede a lack of in depth knowledge here in terms of how we set up and where RS plays. I don't think he is the same type as KS or SA, so I can really only see AA being dropped, but that would not make any sense in terms of giving us more firepower. Will RM therefore change his set up in someway to accommodate them both and thus we have to lose some creativity?

I can't see AA can be dropped because he's our leading scorer but he can play wider where he has been for a lot of the season.

• Like 2

Can't comment on how we are going to play but am sure it will be better than the two times I have been. Jake Thomson ISTR coming on as sub in a 3-1? defeat back in div whatever, and more recently when I think it was a draw but courtesy of some really good pubs and getting in by train I can't really remember. The Rat micro-brewery was good as were the station pubs, and the first time there was a food festival in the station approach. As you can tell, the football wasn't memorable!

On current form I think when Ross is ready to start he should be in for Kameldeen. But his mere presence on the pitch with his known speed gives opponents something to think about. It’s a tricky one but can’t justify dropping ArmA over him at the moment.

Only other option would be Charlie or Stu but think that would change our play patterns a bit too much. Ultimately in a long season it shouldn’t matter - there will be enough injury, suspension and tiredness to allow plenty of rotation. We have three games when we return so any personnel changes in those games can be taken as rotation and give everyone plenty of opportunities - hopefully for Fraser and Edozie too.

• Like 1

• Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield vs Saints - Saturday 25th 3pm
  • Lighthouse pinned this topic

Looking forward to this one, nearest local game for me. Fully expect another win on and off the pitch, Saints to take the 3 points comfortably on the pitch. Also attending with the Top boy from the DEF Youth Northern Regiment so expect DEF to stroll around unchallenged doing what we want all day on their manor

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, JRM said:

Just seen the list of players away on international duty,  really not ideal preparation before going into a 3 game week 

this is now the 3rd international break in 3 months, absolute joke. What's the point of games against Malta? 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

this is now the 3rd international break in 3 months, absolute joke. What's the point of games against Malta? 

It's the only chance England fans have to watch Jordan Henderson play football anymore, for that we should be forever grateful.

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

18 hours ago, SaintBobby said:

It is starting to appear in the championship. There's a good half a dozen teams that lose constantly and half a dozen that are constantly winning. Ipswich were wopping in 3 a game and Leeds often score three or four against minnows.

Expecting a full strength team with Stewart playing a longer cameo. 

Got my ticket for this and looks like a sell out. Team is looking settled for the first time in 18 months or so. No more change for the sake of change. It’s finally starting to look like a team that is the sum of its parts but can’t help thinking this will be our best chance to go back up, albeit the absence of VAR is a powerful disincentive as well as getting hammered most weeks….

On 12/11/2023 at 08:03, Saint_Jonny said:

Nothing wrong with Huddersfield, huge amount of money being invested there in new infrastructure and commercial buildings. A transformation of the town is underway similar to what we have seen in Southampton these past twenty years. Huddersfield becoming unrecognisable from the days of dark satanic mills. Not so grim up North as Southerners are led to believe.

Not sure about the 'University' though. York it ain't!

2 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Over 2000 fans is a great effort. Hopefully in the Premier League the ticket office stops taking the lowest possible allocation for many of the northern away games. 

Winning regularly always makes a difference, or having the hope that we have a good chance of winning.

If we were losing every away game then no doubt numbers would be dwindling.

2 minutes ago, Saint Garrett said:

Winning regularly always makes a difference, or having the hope that we have a good chance of winning.

the fact i'm going probably put 1000 on the sales.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

I would normally be all over this away trip but unfortunately it’s very close to my Wife’s due date for our second baby. I also missed Stoke away (closest game to home this season) as it was her birthday, the fixture list gods are not doing me any favours! I’ll take another wish I was there 3 points please.

I enjoyed the 3–1 away win in the PL just before Christmas, complete with free Saints Santa hat. “Swing your hats, if you love the saints!” Obafemi’s first senior goal IIRC.

1 hour ago, goodymatt said:

I would normally be all over this away trip but unfortunately it’s very close to my Wife’s due date for our second baby. I also missed Stoke away (closest game to home this season) as it was her birthday, the fixture list gods are not doing me any favours! I’ll take another wish I was there 3 points please.

I enjoyed the 3–1 away win in the PL just before Christmas, complete with free Saints Santa hat. “Swing your hats, if you love the saints!” Obafemi’s first senior goal IIRC.

Best wishes to Mrs matt and bump number 2

• Like 5

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Put an extra 1000 on the Huddersfield sales because they'll need that many extra to have a chance against you and your crew.

What is their profession? 

They bring builders, accountants and whippet trainers we being professional thugs 

DEF DEF DEF DEF

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'll be wearing a new cologne on Saturday called 12 Hour Shift so I hope to follow it as much as I can at work.to continue the run would be lovely, what would be nice is to finally add a few more to the goal difference that we've been merely chipping away at.

1-3 Saints. Ross on the scoresheet late on.

7 hours ago, Saint Garrett said:

There seems to be a sense of optimism that this is going to be a great day, in the pubs and on the terrace. I guess we all know what happens next...

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Dragon_man said:

My Watford tickets arrived this morning, but haven't seen the Huddersfield ones yet. Any one received theirs? I have friends up there so we'll head off up there next Wednesday probably.

Arrived Monday... the magic rock brewing stand 😅 ...

Many meeting in the head of steam around midday. 

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Saturday 25th 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Huddersfield 1-1 Saints - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic