Underdogs

Alanh

1 minute ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

With some of our less intelligent fans penchant for squeezing words with too many syllables into chants expect to hear “Yer just a small town in Southampton….” ringing out from certain corners

Will they be calling us 'scummers' ?

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Will they be calling us 'scummers' ?

We’re the ‘Airport Stealers’ if I recall correctly.

MLG alert: a small fraction of the runway is located in Southampton, though the majority of it and the terminal building is based in Eastleigh.

• Haha 1

Just now, Kenilworthy said:

I think you have to go back to November 1958 for a game against a proper non league team when we played Woking. Incidentally, we have never been drawn against Leeds in our history.

Maybe not in the FA Cup but we beat them 1 0 at the Dell in the league Cup to get to Wembley in the late 1970s

2 hours ago, John B said:

Maybe not in the FA Cup but we beat them 1 0 at the Dell in the league Cup to get to Wembley in the late 1970s

and 5-4 in an epic League Cup match in December 1960. Derek Reeves scored all five which remained a record for about thirty years, and because of power cuts the match took over three hours to complete.

1 hour ago, Badger said:

and 5-4 in an epic League Cup match in December 1960. Derek Reeves scored all five which remained a record for about thirty years, and because of power cuts the match took over three hours to complete.

I was at this game with my Dad.
My Mum was worried as we hadnt arrived home in Bursledon at the normal time.
No mobile phones at that time and we didnt even have a landline so no way of letting Mum know the flood lights had failed
We missed the last bus home so had to get a Corporation bus to the Floating Bridge to Woolston and walk home from there.
A long trek for a young kid my buoyed by the win.
Remember standing at the back of the Milton Rd when Derek Reeves scored the winner.
Jack Charlton was the CH for Leeds I think.

• Like 10

5 hours ago, Kenilworthy said:

I think you have to go back to November 1958 for a game against a proper non league team when we played Woking. Incidentally, we have never been drawn against Leeds in our history.

Around that time we played 4 non league sides in quick succession ie Barnet, Weymouth, Walton & Hersham and Woking.
The game against Woking was noticeable as we played in the Hampshire FA colours which I think were black & amber quarters.
We won all four games so, unlike Pompey, Saints have never lost to a non league side.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, spyinthesky said:

Around that time we played 4 non league sides in quick succession ie Barnet, Weymouth, Walton & Hersham and Woking.
The game against Woking was noticeable as we played in the Hampshire FA colours which I think were black & amber quarters.
We won all four games so, unlike Pompey, Saints have never lost to a non league side.

I went to the Woking game. I thought they were red and white quarters but it was a long time ago and I was only 8.

Every year I get excited in preparation of the FA Cup 3rd round draw hoping to get a non league minnow away but it never happens for us, no doubt we'll get Crystal Palace or someone like that again. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JRM said:

Every year I get excited in preparation of the FA Cup 3rd round draw hoping to get a non league minnow away but it never happens for us, no doubt we'll get Crystal Palace or someone like that again. 

One of the few times where I don't care *too much* about the cup draw, and I normally bloody love the cup.

A nice lower league new ground would be good, but we have very little chance of going far, and it just isn't the priority this year. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JRM said:

Stoke away. Miserable afternoon in Jan, watching Seku Mara not run about a lot

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Cray Valley Paper Mills away. Get the train into Waterloo then catch the clipper to Greenwich, wander past the Cutty Sark, have a few beers in Mean Time brewery then into Goddards for pie and mash. Watch the game, repeat in reverse then head home.

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about, a genuine collectors item of a fixture. 

Harrogate away would also get my approval, especially with a free guided tour of the town from Saintsweb veteran Turkish, tea & biscuits at his pre match 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JRM said:

That's the sort of thing I'm talking about, a genuine collectors item of a fixture. 

Harrogate away would also get my approval, especially with a free guided tour of the town from Saintsweb veteran Turkish, tea & biscuits at his pre match 

Tea and biscuits at mine, followed by /\__/\___/ through town avoiding the Harrogate Chaos Crew. Get in early the see the famous Wetherby Road Curva Nord fill as the Harrogate Ultras go through the repertoire of songs about how much they hate York and Harrogate Railway, abuse Harrygator (the clubs mascot alligator) as he walks past us, tell the town supporters they live in a small town near Burnley, a tasty away win to silence the curva nord. Run the gauntlet of hate through the stray as the chaos crew realise they’ve bitten off more than they can chew meeting the DEF. Finishing up with tea and scones at Betty’s and maybe a couple pints of local ale in the cold bath brewery for the uncultured whilst the rest of us go a deli board sharing platter and glass of savigon blanc. A great way to celebrate the inaugural Turkish Derby

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, The Kraken said:

Cray Valley Paper Mills away. Get the train into Waterloo then catch the clipper to Greenwich, wander past the Cutty Sark, have a few beers in Mean Time brewery then into Goddards for pie and mash. Watch the game, repeat in reverse then head home.

I'd go to Borough Market for grub and do the Bermondsey Beer Mile, before training from London Bridge to Eltham

Meantime a shadow of their former selves since Asahi took over. All IMO.

Just need to draw them now. 😉

On 13/11/2023 at 11:19, Saint_clark said:

When we were in league one did we start in round one? Surprised we didn't get someone non league then. That's a bit of a strange stat.

Think around that time one of the teams in the draw was Metropolitan Police.

Thought that would have been a novel draw, and interesting to see how the ‘away fans’ if playing at St Mary’s behaved ( or should I say conducted themselves in an orderly manner). 

On 14/11/2023 at 02:01, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Including the ones who have to travel past the silver lake stadium to get to sms

They’d want to the coach to drive towards Whitely before joining the M27 as the usual route might not be long enough for a game of bingo on the bus. 

• Haha 1

On 13/11/2023 at 18:32, spyinthesky said:

I cycled to the Walton & Hersham match but admittedly not from here. Was at Uni at the time. Etched in my memory. 

38 minutes ago, Badger said:

Think around that time one of the teams in the draw was Metropolitan Police.

Thought that would have been a novel draw, and interesting to see how the ‘away fans’ if playing at St Mary’s behaved ( or should I say conducted themselves in an orderly manner). 

You don't have to be a cop to play for them these days. They are still part funded by the police but largely now a community club in Molesey so unfortunately don't think their away support would have been made up of cops on the piss!

40 minutes ago, Badger said:

They’d want to the coach to drive towards Whitely before joining the M27 as the usual route might not be long enough for a game of bingo on the bus. 

I'd have thought the other way along the M27 would be best so they could stop at Rownhams. They love a motorway services on the coaches.

22 minutes ago, The Cat said:

I'd have thought the other way along the M27 would be best so they could stop at Rownhams. They love a motorway services on the coaches.

Good point.

Would also avoid traffic congestion what with 10,000 skates coming from the opposite direction just for a punch up. 

On 13/11/2023 at 18:32, spyinthesky said:

This thread has thrown up a few points of interest, including above.

I was told the amber and black kit was borrowed from the Hampshire Regiment rather than FA. Had a read of one of the Saints history books and it supports this, although the first time it was worn was in c1950 for an away cup tie at Sunderland.

Seems incredible now but comment was that due to their own colour clashes Sunderland and Newcastle swapped shirts that day so Sunderland played in black and white stripes, and Newcastle in red and white. ( Personally not sure that change would give them any advantage as Newcastle were at Bolton). 

Final thought I remember Fitzhugh Fella telling us that Saints also played a home cup tie (1950’s I think) in burgundy or maroon once owing to a colour clash. Don’t recall opponents and can’t find reference in the book as yet. 

On 13/11/2023 at 17:22, spyinthesky said:

I was at this game with my Dad.
My Mum was worried as we hadnt arrived home in Bursledon at the normal time.
No mobile phones at that time and we didnt even have a landline so no way of letting Mum know the flood lights had failed
We missed the last bus home so had to get a Corporation bus to the Floating Bridge to Woolston and walk home from there.
A long trek for a young kid my buoyed by the win.
Remember standing at the back of the Milton Rd when Derek Reeves scored the winner.
Jack Charlton was the CH for Leeds I think.

Enjoyed reading your story about match and your walk home. Quite a trek. Out of interest what time did you get back ?

The pre mobile phone days thing is something younger fans can’t fathom. Two of us set off for a Saints away match in his new company car. Couple of pub stops, arrived at the stadium c2pm to find it deserted bar a few Police who were getting back in their van to leave. Told us it had been called off about 10.30 that morning. No mobiles then, and at that point no radio in the car !!

(Back to the pub crawl home then)

Tell that to kids today, they won’t believe you.

On 19/11/2023 at 13:43, Badger said:

Enjoyed reading your story about match and your walk home. Quite a trek. Out of interest what time did you get back ?

The pre mobile phone days thing is something younger fans can’t fathom. Two of us set off for a Saints away match in his new company car. Couple of pub stops, arrived at the stadium c2pm to find it deserted bar a few Police who were getting back in their van to leave. Told us it had been called off about 10.30 that morning. No mobiles then, and at that point no radio in the car !!

(Back to the pub crawl home then)

Tell that to kids today, they won’t believe you.

I remember the 70s and early 80s, going to an away match, with portable radio for the car (no car radio, until we got a Datsun with a flashy push button one), my job was to change the angle of the radio as we went around corners to keep the reception crisp and to twist the dial a fraction to retune it as we moved up/down the country.

Then we would roam around the away town looking for the floodlights. No colours and as my dad was paranoid of holligans he wouldn't let us talk on the walk to the ground in case our southern accents gave us away.

Then on the walk back to the car there would be someone walking with a transistor radio playing and a little crowd walking around him listening out to the other scores, or somewhere like Brentford or Gillingham there would be a crowd on the pavement looking into someone's longue at the vidiprinter. My old man wouldn't take me to Saints game, so I was desperate to hear our score, but I could only cheer if Plymouth (who we were watching) won as well (he hated Southampton). Then a stop of in some randon place on the way home for fish and chips. Happy days.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/11/2023 at 09:18, Alanh said:

With the draw for the FA Cup third round coming up in December I was trying to remember a time when Saints got drawn against a proper minnow - a team from non-league. Any recollections?

Could be coming up… 

Edited by Badger

Bit of a relief that Eastleigh didn’t draw Man Utd at home in the third round. We might have been required to move our fixture for their larger expected gate !

Are non league clubs still allowed to move their fixtures to a larger ground ? In which case it might have been at St Mary’s. 

Lead to the thought as to when did  Saints last host such a fixture. Think it might have been Salisbury v Millwall in about 1977. 

4 minutes ago, Badger said:

Bit of a relief that Eastleigh didn’t draw Man Utd at home in the third round. We might have been required to move our fixture for their larger expected gate !

Are non league clubs still allowed to move their fixtures to a larger ground ? In which case it might have been at St Mary’s. 

Lead to the thought as to when did  Saints last host such a fixture. Think it might have been Salisbury v Millwall in about 1977. 

I believe the rules got changed on that about 20 years ago to stop clubs doing it to cash in; I think there’s now no financial incentive to do so, any ‘extra’ money raised goes into a central pool. 

15 minutes ago, The Kraken said:

I believe the rules got changed on that about 20 years ago to stop clubs doing it to cash in; I think there’s now no financial incentive to do so, any ‘extra’ money raised goes into a central pool. 

Remember reading something along those lines, but thought it was more to stop clubs reversing the fixture for the money ( Exeter being drawn at home to Man Utd but opting to play at Old Trafford).

Changing venue can also be due to Police advice if the ground and surrounding area can’t cope. Or at least I thought that was the case

Edited by Badger

14 minutes ago, Badger said:

Remember reading something along those lines, but thought it was more to stop clubs reversing the fixture for the money ( Exeter being drawn at home to Man Utd but opting to play at Old Trafford).

Changing venue can also be due to Police advice if the ground and surrounding area can’t cope. Or at least I thought that was the case

Just been reading more about it, looks like Farnborough were the straw that broke the camel’s back when they reversed their fixture to Highbury. Since then there’s a rule that you can still switch, but any switch has to go to a close neutral ground and the clubs can’t profit any extra than they would have done based on the switching club’s capacity.