Russell Martin snubs Rishi Sunak

Guided Missile

Southampton manager Russell Martin appeared to snub Rishi Sunak at St Mary’s Stadium on Friday night after the Prime Minister watched the home side beat Plymouth 2-1 to maintain their Championship promotion push.

Russell, whose side are now unbeaten in 17 matches, was asked post-match whether Saints fan Sunak had ventured from the stands to the dressing room to offer his congratulations. Russell replied: “He might have come down [to see the players], but I have no interest in saying hello. How’s that for honesty?

“I hope he enjoyed himself just like anyone who comes here. I hope they enjoy themselves. I have no interest [in chatting] because I’m a football manager. I’m not sure we’re aligned on too much politically but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team. I’m sure some people would be excited about him being here but we had a job to do and we were here to win a football match and we did.”

What a twat our manager is.  Wouldn't have hurt to keep his wacky Brighton politics to himself and shown some respect to a Southampton fan who happens to hold the office of Prime Minister. 

Didn't mind the club taking sponsorship from a gambling company even after his father lost their family house to betting. No class and typical of a lefty green arse.

Rishi.jpeg

• Like 13
  • Haha 15
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 2

Fair play to him I couldn't give a damm about politics either.... Not like they care about the population... 

Look at the whole Covid fiasco where the older folk were isolated in care homes.... 

Whilst the House of Commons finest lived it up with the finest powder, booze and Brasses tax payers money could fund.... laughing at the mere peasants who fooled for the nonsense....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

I thought it was a pretty stupid and a 'look at me' comment.

Like it not, Sunak is a fan and will be a fan long after Martin has left us

Yeah Sunak grew up a short walk from The Dell and went then so it's not like he's suddenly pretending to be a fan. 

It's fair enough to view him as being there as a fan rather than as the prime minister though so no need for special treatment. 

• Like 7

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

He's another chippy prick like Nigel Pearson. I have a feeling his career will take the same trajectory as his, especially if we fail to get promoted.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Yeah agree with that. No need to do that. Whatever his political leanings, Martin should have acknowledged he his a Saints fan at the end of the day. Judging by Caroline Dinniege's comments, Sunak gets a fair amount of stick from other local MP's because of his Saints connections

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Rishi.jpeg

12 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

What a twat our manager is.  Wouldn't have hurt to keep his wacky Brighton politics to himself and shown some respect to a Southampton fan who happens to hold the office of Prime Minister. 

Didn't mind the club taking sponsorship from a gambling company even after his father lost their family house to betting. No class and typical of a lefty green arse.

Rishi.jpeg

"Twat"??? "Chippy prick"??? Guided Missile. 

Say no more.

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 5
  • Confused 3

When I heard it on radio 5, I was pretty sure he said he had no interest in saying 'Hello SIR' which shows he doesn't want to be survile to someone he (rightly IMHO, had little personal respect for). 

He expanded saying.. 

I hope he enjoyed himself just like anyone who comes here I hope they enjoy themselves.

“I have no interest because I’m a football manager. I’m not sure we’re aligned on too much politically but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team.

“Some people would be excited about him being here but we had a job to do and we were here to win a football match and we did.”

I'm sure most in the crowd, agree with him as Sunak is widely viewed as dishonest, weak and a poor leader (surveys not my comments). 

Edited by West end Saints
  • Like 19

If Sunak came to my place of work, I'd do the same. That's just being honest about my political views and acting accordingly. Saves everyone any tricky or embarrassing moments.

If I was forced to meet the PM and pretend that I didn't have issues with his government then that would be worse surely? Would any of us feel that is right? To go against our privately held political beliefs on the say-so of our employer? That doesn't seem very democratic, liberal or British.

• Like 11

8 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

It's about respecting the office of the Prime Minister and a born and bred Saints fan. Basic good manners and representing the club in a positive way. Why the fuck is there so much hate from the left. He's a green twat and will regret this.

Why on earth will he "regret this"??? Is he another one for the cheese wire when your day comes? 

Edited by Tamesaint
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Guided Missile said:

It's about respecting the office of the Prime Minister and a born and bred Saints fan. Basic good manners and representing the club in a positive way. Why the fuck is there so much hate from the left. He's a green twat and will regret this.

He does respect him as a saints fan, anything else belongs in the Lounge but maybe some reflection on your last 2 sentences may help you answer your own question. 

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Spoken like a true Trump supporter.

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

Those last two sentences are gold 😂

• Like 16

9 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

He expanded saying.. 

I hope he enjoyed himself just like anyone who comes here I hope they enjoy themselves.

“I have no interest because I’m a football manager. I’m not sure we’re aligned on too much politically but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team.

“Some people would be excited about him being here but we had a job to do and we were here to win a football match and we did.”

I'm sure most in the crowd, agree with him as Sunak is widely viewed as dishonest, weak and a poor leader (surveys not my comments). 

Would have been better to have just said this. Perhaps a little naive not to think the first part wouldn’t be the headline focus 

13 minutes ago, Colinjb said:

Are you aware of the concept of self awareness at all? 

I'm more familiar with the concept than Russell Martin, whose father's gambling addiction cost his family their home and yet he's happy to take his wages from a company that is sponsored by Sportsbet.io. 

• Haha 1

Just now, Guided Missile said:

I'm more familiar with the concept than Russell Martin, whose father's gambling addiction cost his family their home and yet he's happy to take his wages from a company that is sponsored by Sportsbet.io. 

Fuck me you’re a desperate individual. 

• Like 21

Nothing better than taking part of a quote and ignoring the rest to fit your own agenda eh?

Also quite funny asking the manager to respect the office of Prime Minister when the Tory party have spent the last few years disrespecting it themselves by appointing useless PM's while being too scared to have an actual public vote on it.

Not quite sure what sway the manager of the team has over which sponsorship deals are agreed by the club, especially ones that were in place before he joined.

Other than that, great thread.

• Like 19

I'm glad Martin ignored Sunak's side show and focused on his job: managing Southampton football club.

I personally can't stand Sunak. He hasn't won a general election to be PM. He has managed to make the country worse since he's been in the job. He's wasted our money like a Man United manager buying attacking midfielders. His policies are about division and treating other humans like shit. And he spends more time on promoting his self image than doing anything useful.

Irrespective of that if he wants to come and watch them good for him but I don't want him dragging Saints into his political shit show. And if someone doesn't want to meet him then good for them too.

• Like 8

15 minutes ago, Barsiem said:

Maybe it's a little early in the morning but I'm failing to see the disrespect here.  Why should he want to meet a politician when he works in football?

Respect for the position. It’s quite basic good manners really, regardless of one’s political biases. We don’t want the US style polarisation do we?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Toussaint said:

Respect for the position. It’s quite basic good manners really, regardless of one’s political biases. We don’t want the US style polarisation do we?

He's at the game as a fan. If people want to meet him then great. If they don't also great.

The position of PM had more respect five years ago and Sunak played a big part in that decline. He didn't win an election to get the job. Hell, he couldn't even win a vote against Liz Truss.

Same thing as when the Queen visited my work I had the chance to meet her. I declined because I think our Monarchy is part of a broken system. Nothing against her. Just didn't want any part of it. My boss thanked me for keeping myself to myself.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Toussaint said:

Basic good manners, really? I disagree. Why should we respect a 'position' in a political system that has become, for all intents and purposes, a quasi feudal system dominated by an elite set of individuals whom receive financial and educational advantage as a result of dynastic and familial heritage and influence?

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

Basic good manners, really? I disagree. Why should we respect a 'position' in a political system that has become, for all intents and purposes, a quasi feudal system dominated by an elite set of individuals whom receive financial and educational advantage as a result of dynastic and familial heritage and influence?

Spot on. This thread can be closed / moved to the Lounge now. 

Edited by notnowcato
  • Like 2

37 minutes ago, Guided Missile said:

And you are a Fascistic twat.This govt has bought the "Office" of PM into disrepute,the worst bunch of chancers in my lifetime.

Vote Tory ? never again.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He should respect every supporter be they Prime Minister or street sweeper.

There is a whole selection of diplomatic answers that he could have given.

Not sure Martin has shown disrespect here. Just because a newspaper headline or forum subject is "Martin snubs Sunak" doesn't mean any snubbing happened.

Screenshot_20231230-094355.png

Edited by coalman
  • Like 12

12 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

He should respect every supporter be they Prime Minister or street sweeper.

There is a whole selection of diplomatic answers that he could have given.

Should be respect supporters who have called him a cunt on the internet? 

(That wasn't Sunak, at least I don't think it was. Although possible he has a login on here!)

• Haha 2

Not impressed by Martin.

Sunak turns up in a personal role, as a fan, and essentially Martin says he isn’t welcome. Martin is speaking and representing the Football Club not himself. 

Football and politics should be kept separate and ultimately the guy is a fan and always has been. 

If Martin gets sacked and Sunak gets asked the question about this should he say “Not too bothered about the bloke, glad he’s gone, never liked his politics anyway?”

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Not impressed by Martin.

Sunak turns up in a personal role, as a fan, and essentially Martin says he isn’t welcome. Martin is speaking and representing the Football Club not himself. 

Football and politics should be kept separate and ultimately the guy is a fan and always has been. 

If Martin gets sacked and Sunak gets asked the question about this should he say “Not too bothered about the bloke, glad he’s gone, never liked his politics anyway?”

Personal role??! 

From the echo... 

"Rishi Sunak having a camera man positioned on the stairs next to him ready to capture his authentic human actions is pretty much exactly as I imagined it would be." 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sunak was apparently there as a fan and not in an official capacity. How many fans expect special treatment and a trip to the dressing room to meet the manager and players?

Martin was asked a question and answered it honestly (which is not something you could say for Sunak and his colleagues). His job is to manage Southampton Football Club, not get involved in a PR sideshow for the man who managed to increase the Covid death toll with his moronic Eat Out To Help Out policy. 
I’m sure that GM would have no problem with this had it been Jeremy Corbyn! On a side note, it is a shame Sunak doesn’t support West Ham. We could have plenty of fun over his inability to use a hammer.

Talking of respect, how much respect did Sunak show this country when he “lost” all of those WhatsApp messages during the Covid pandemic?

Edited by sadoldgit
Added text
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Not impressed by Martin.

As a fan, I look forward to meeting the players and Manager next time I’m down there.  Anyone else interested?

wouldn't happen, only as he is in the privileged position of PM did this happen and if it’s not an official visit it should be a personal choice. He should have just kept quiet about it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, West end Saints said:

Personal role??! 

From the echo... 

"Rishi Sunak having a camera man positioned on the stairs next to him ready to capture his authentic human actions is pretty much exactly as I imagined it would be." 

6 minutes ago, SaintsFan86 said:

What a shit thread. Completely irrelevant to football. 

Edited by Sir Ralph

2 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Exactly

Martin is acting in an official role as manager and should act with professionalism. Sunak was there in a personal role. Maybe the club invited him down cause he is the prime minister.

bigger question - shouldn’t it be a positive thing that the prime minister is a saints fan regardless of party - I think so - and maybe Martin should have been more professional in his response is the point

Martin was asked a question about Sunak, a random fan. He is never asked about Joe bloggs.

Who gives a F about Sunak... maybe the interviewer should keep the prime minister out of football. 

This isn't  a political sport, so who cares about Rishi.

• Like 6