Russell Martin snubs Rishi Sunak

Guided Missile

11 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Then why say he would have nothing to say to him? Is he like that before / after games with autograph hunters? Saying that, the way he dismisses legitimate fan comments at fans forum, he probably would ignore the average joe if he could.

It was clearly a semi-political jibe, which was quite sad really.

He was probably irritated by the question, it's a mid season football match not the Sunak circus, he said he wasn't there to chat because he's concentrating on the game and his job. Then he mentions his politics, which happens to differ from yours, big deal. You and others are making way too much of this.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sir Ralph said:

1. My post referred to being professional AT WORK - am I writing in a professional capacity?

2. My post was not disrespectful it was voicing a measured opinion in a PERSONAL capacity 

3. My imaginary scenario wasn’t discrediting the manger - I was outlining the scenario that Sunak did the equivalent to Martin to demonstrate how UNPROFESSIONAL it would be

Your imaginary scenario was saying that Martin essentially said he’s unwelcome. Your making things up and now clearly getting riled up for being called out about it

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, SambaMaverick said:

Top bloke Russell

Sunak stay away - wanker

You utter dopey tit!

Mr Sunak has been a Saints supporter all his life and despite being PM and all the nonsense that surrounds that job turns up to watch us in the Championship on a dark, dank Friday night at the uncivilised time of 6.00pm.

Russell Martin is being paid handsomely for the job he is doing but it could be the same job for any one of a dozen clubs. He is lucky that he has inherited the squad that he is working with. Saints supporter he is not and never will be!

Sheffield Wednesday have a better chance of reaching the play-offs than the Tories have of getting my vote at the next election by the way

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, stevy777_x said:

To all you non tories here, I don’t share the same political views as you and I have no interest in having a conversation about football or say hello to you.

See what I did there? That s exactly what Russel did yesterday 

There really is no need for you to be so upset about this whole thing. But here we are. Such snowflake behaviour.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Did you not read the whole quote, "but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team".

No. The only quote at the time I'd heard was the first snippet of the interview. I acknowledge what Martin said after that, perhaps if he had just said that, then this debate would be null and void. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

It's about respecting the office of the Prime Minister and a born and bred Saints fan. Basic good manners and representing the club in a positive way. Why the fuck is there so much hate from the left. He's a green twat and will regret this.

And I’m sure if it was PM Tony Blair the manager was supposedly snubbing you would feel equally indignant.

Fucking boring cunt.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

And I’m sure if it was PM Tony Blair the manager was supposedly snubbing you would feel equally indignant.

Fucking boring cunt.

Maybe he would, I know I would. Your post shows how much respect you have for other peoples opinions.

7 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

He's another chippy prick like Nigel Pearson. I have a feeling his career will take the same trajectory as his, especially if we fail to get promoted.

You OK hun? You seem to be getting very angry about this? Who cares what he thinks about our PM, he's a corrupt fool. 

Edited by Farmer Saint
  • Like 1

Don't see the issue with it. RM hasnt hidden his political views, wasn't rude and gave an honest answer to a fairly wanky question.

Would rather have a manager who actually has a view than a sap who gives non answers to every question they are asked (see Eddie Howe for example who has been pathetic on the Saudi related questions).

And WTF was that camera about - laughable.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, iansums said:

Disrespectful, it's what you often see from those on the left. As a Tory voter I would be perfectly civil to a Labour PM.

I don't think it's disrespectful - surely respect is a 2 way street? I don't think anything Sunak has done deserves respect from Russ, Southampton, or frankly anyone. He's an unelected, odious, cretin of an individual.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Cabrone said:

It was a graceless response from RM, we don't need to know your politics just show some manners towards a guest who is a genuine Saints fan. BTW I'd say the same about any other politician regardless of their party.

Besides which, the amount of money Sunak has he could be a future owner. The guy is loaded.

I wouldn't want him anywhere near the club regardless of the amount of money he possesses. 

The guy is vermin and the fact that people are upset about RM's completely watered down comments is hilarious.

Horrible bloke who showed up to the game for nothing other than PR and has been made to look even more of a fool than he makes himself every time he has to shed an opinion, good stuff. The kind of manager I want in charge of my club.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Ken Tone said:

Never mind Martin's reaction to Sunak's visit..... we were pissed off because the car parks and roads next to the stadium were closed off for half an hour for him to leave. All the roads, because no one told the stewards which route he was taking. There were some fairly strong 'political' comments made in the queue of cars near us!   '😉

Not had this delay when he's been before.

This - I'd been sat in traffic leading up to the Itchen Bridge and had already been more delayed than normal when police motor bikes came past, shut all the entrances and exits to the bridge with their poncey whistles and gestures to let at least 3 blacked out vehicles, a van and more motor bikes go past at speed. I suspect I was one of the large number of people who loudly expressed their opinion, both political and anger at the waste of time and money involved.

Now - personally I'm embarrassed by the fact that he declares his support for us but no more than I am by some of the other fascistic, xenophobic and racist supporters around the stadium but I do object to the fact that he uses us as an 'don't I have the common touch' media vehicle and then used taxpayers money and police resources to rub in how utterly far from the truth that is.

I despise his politics, he's not been elected by anyone other than a few blue-rinses and I applaud that our manager has the guts not to be sycophantic about his presence...and his honesty in answering as he did.

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

Not sure I really care about whether he does or doesn't speak to Sunak, but the "how's that for honesty?" comment made me roll my eyes. Very smug thing to say, yeah well done Russell you didn't talk to him cos you don't like his politics, ok.

Fair enough. The Tories (this bunch anyway) have literally ripped the country off while ruining it at the same time. A man is prepared to stand up and be counted and you deem that to be smug? Oh well. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, sadoldgit said:

Talking of respect, how much respect did Sunak show this country when he “lost” all of those WhatsApp messages during the Covid pandemic?

To be honest I think Martin's comments were a bit disrespectful, but respect has to be earned. We need to be real about the fact that regardless of party leanings, Sunak has been degrading the role of PM and politics just like Johnson.

The above is just the most obvious example. Here's some more:

https://www.shropshirestar.com/news/uk-news/2023/12/19/sunak-may-have-undermined-trust-with-claims-to-have-reduced-debt--watchdog/

https://fullfact.org/news/claire-coutinho-labour-meat-tax/

https://news.sky.com/story/tories-urged-to-delete-social-media-labour-attack-post-featuring-swearing-bbc-newsreader-13025141

Edited by Ex Lion Tamer

6 hours ago, pingpong said:

This is quite a coincidence. I sell sofas, and wanted to go congratulate the players last week, but russell said sofas had nothing to do with the football and didn't let me see them. I felt snubbed but it didn't make the papers.

The commentary in the WBA game said their manager had removed all of the comfy chairs in the meeting rooms. The more basic, uncomfortable chairs, he feels, makes the players more attentive, as they can't settle.

I think there are also plenty of questions about seating on the bench. Are those chairs optimally designed to protect players from any niggles coming on? Are the players attentive to the match, or just too comfy? Just as importantly, why do so many players, coming off injured, go straight to sit on the same chairs? Surely more could be done to aid their recovery by having better chair/ seating options for them?

It's a disgrace that the club snubbed your valuable, and potentially game changing, contributions.

They are a lot more relevant that whatever club a politician happens to support, or whatever political party a club employee happens to support.

2 minutes ago, Challenger said:

'kin box office this thread, bloody marvellous.

Not been so entertained since grandad caught his cock in the mangle back in the 60,s.

Any chance of someone inviting Corbyn to one of our gigs before the season's end so we can do another one ?

Please don’t. The scar tissue is still painful.

• Haha 4

53 minutes ago, Long Shot said:

Fair enough. The Tories (this bunch anyway) have literally ripped the country off while ruining it at the same time. A man is prepared to stand up and be counted and you deem that to be smug? Oh well. 

"Stand up and be counted" FFS. Yeah, Martin has lit the touch paper on the revolution with his comments.

16 minutes ago, Challenger said:

'kin box office this thread, bloody marvellous.

Not been so entertained since grandad caught his cock in the mangle back in the 60,s.

Any chance of someone inviting Corbyn to one of our gigs before the season's end so we can do another one ?

Any photos?

4 hours ago, The Kraken said:

There really is no need for you to be so upset about this whole thing. But here we are. Such snowflake behaviour.

There will be 100% correlation between those that got enraged by Martin and those that froth about Gary Lineker tweets. As you say snowflakes and I can guess what newspapers they read

• Like 3

8 hours ago, for_heaven's_Saint said:

Fuck Sunak. He doesn’t give a shit about Saints, just trying his hardest to look like a normal bloke before an election year.

Well done Martin for not buying it. 

Spot on. There’s quite a few videos of Sunak making a twat of himself. A great one of him going into a convenience store. He clearly wasn’t used to handling cash and then when he eventually tried to hand the money over doesn’t realise there a plastic security screen in front of him.

His parents are Saints Supporters but he doesn’t even like football he is a cricket fan though.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

This thread is the bestest. I love Rishi and love Russell so think it’s so cool that they both get so much chat.

Go Saints. Up the Saints. We all love the red and white even if your politics are blue (or green lol).

Top thread. Oh when the Saints go marching in.

5 hours ago, Nemi said:

Your imaginary scenario was saying that Martin essentially said he’s unwelcome. Your making things up and now clearly getting riled up for being called out about it

You are obviously very intelligent and 100% right - well done.

Edited by Sir Ralph

42 minutes ago, manji said:

His parents are Saints Supporters but he doesn’t even like football he is a cricket fan though.

To be fair to him I have heard on good authority that he does actually support Saints. It's not his sporting passion, because that is cricket, but he certainly knows enough and follows results to the extent that you could call him a fan.

Would love it if he had a login on here, ha.

1 minute ago, The Cat said:

To be fair to him I have heard on good authority that he does actually support Saints. It's not his sporting passion, because that is cricket, but he certainly knows enough and follows results to the extent that you could call him a fan.

Would love it if he had a login on here, ha.

Could be anybody to be fair.

Might even be me 😳

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, losgigantes said:

So disrespectful! 

Sunak was a true supporter long before Russell Martin and will be a supporter long after he is long forgotten.

That statement says more about Martin than we need to know but confirms what some of us suspect.

Sport and politics do not mix.

Cracking first post fella 🤣

• Haha 1