Russell Martin snubs Rishi Sunak

Guided Missile

12 minutes ago, sadoldgit said:

Sunak was apparently there as a fan and not in an official capacity. How many fans expect special treatment and a trip to the dressing room to meet the manager and players?

Martin was asked a question and answered it honestly (which is not something you could say for Sunak and his colleagues). His job is to manage Southampton Football Club, not get involved in a PR sideshow for the man who managed to increase the Covid death toll with his moronic Eat Out To Help Out policy. 
I’m sure that GM would have no problem with this had it been Jeremy Corbyn! On a side note, it is a shame Sunak doesn’t support West Ham. We could have plenty of fun over his inability to use a hammer.

Talking of respect, how much respect did Sunak show this country when he “lost” all of those WhatsApp messages during the Covid pandemic?

This is what happens if you let politics into football, you get morons from the fan base turning threads on the main board into their own political whinge fest to push their agenda. Kick it out. Kick it right out. 

• Like 12

54 minutes ago, coalman said:

Not sure Martin has shown disrespect here. Just because a newspaper headline or forum subject is "Martin snubs Sunak" doesn't mean any snubbing happened.

Screenshot_20231230-094355.png

Exactly. Just sensationalising a non event.

The actual headline here is "Football manager asked loaded question and gives honest reply".

And, of course, our resident Tory cheerleader, who loves to call lefties 'snowflakes', gets massively triggered by it. Bless him.

• Like 14

1 hour ago, sfc4prem said:

I reckon if Sunak wants to come to games, he should be prepared to take flak for some of his policies, many of which have had a negative impact on many people sitting in that same stadium.

As does every politician of all times and political colour

2 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Maybe people should generally always be polite and professional at work, as I was always taught, and we wouldn’t have threads like this. Moral in life - be respectful not rude and dismissive 

How was Martin unprofessional? He said his focus was winning the football match. Which is what he's paid to do and is doing a good job of. 

How was Martin impolite? He said he hoped Sunak enjoyed the game just like any other fan.

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Maybe people should generally always be polite and professional at work, as I was always taught, and we wouldn’t have threads like this. Moral in life - be respectful not rude and dismissive 

As Sunak's old school motto says: "Manners Makyth Man" – a traditional motto with a decidedly modern sentiment: that we should be measured not by birth, but by our personal qualities.

(As everyone can tell, I didn't go to Winchester College.)

• Haha 1

Just now, Guided Missile said:

As Sunak's old school motto says: "Manners Makyth Man" – a traditional motto with a decidedly modern sentiment: that we should be measured not by birth, but by our personal qualities.

(As everyone can tell, I didn't go to Winchester College.)

You do know what Winchester College students call the rest of the population of Winchester?

"The Stupids"

You're right we should judge people on what they do, not what their school motto was.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, pingpong said:

This is quite a coincidence. I sell sofas, and wanted to go congratulate the players last week, but russell said sofas had nothing to do with the football and didn't let me see them. I felt snubbed but it didn't make the papers.

FFS. Russ out! 

58 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

Not impressed by Martin.

Sunak turns up in a personal role, as a fan, and essentially Martin says he isn’t welcome. Martin is speaking and representing the Football Club not himself. 

Football and politics should be kept separate and ultimately the guy is a fan and always has been. 

If Martin gets sacked and Sunak gets asked the question about this should he say “Not too bothered about the bloke, glad he’s gone, never liked his politics anyway?”

23 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

People should always be polite and professional at work, as I was always taught, and we wouldn’t have threads like this. Moral in life - be respectful not rude and dismissive 

Always be respectful and polite, yet in your first post you invent an imaginary scenario in your head to try and discredit the manager. 

• Like 3

Just now, badgerx16 said:

If Sunak had made an official visit as PM I am sure that Russell Martin would have met him. If Sunak attends as a fan, why is her more important than anybody else ?

But he wasn't asking to see the team. The tator asked a daft question and got a strange response from Martin.

• Like 1

Without wishing to get embroiled in this 'debate', I guess the only thing you could conceivably pull Martin up on is his phrase: "I have no interest [in chatting] because I’m a football manager"

He has mixed politics and football before in interviews / articles (e.g.  https://www.carolinelucas.com/latest/professional-footballer-russell-martin-calls-on-clubs-to-protect-the-environment-after  ) so the phrase would have been a tad less open to accusations of ingenuity if he had said: "I have no interest [in chatting] because I disagree with his politics" (he did go on to allude to that anyway, but not wanting to chat to a politician "because I'm a football manager" doesn't really scan because it hasn't stopped him before; and why would one's profession preclude you from talking to a politician anyway? No-one who wasn't a politician would ever speak to a politician if we all adhered to that philosophy....)

Just an observation...

d31kwvp-8eaa33c1-b609-48c8-baf0-a86323b818ca.jpg

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Just now, badgerx16 said:

But he didn't, he said "I hope he enjoyed himself"'......."'I hope he enjoyed watching the team'.

it was about the point of chatting to him. I guess he has no interest in chatting to fans in general...unless Sunak was going to ask Martin's thoughts on the political dynamic with the conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza....

For all we know, Sunak may have just asked for his autograph and thoughts on who he would like to bring in during the transfer window!

4 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

it was about the point of chatting to him. I guess he has no interest in chatting to fans in general...unless Sunak was going to ask Martin's thoughts on the political dynamic with the conflicts in Ukraine and Gaza....

For all we know, Sunak may have just asked for his autograph and thoughts on who he would like to bring in during the transfer window!

Did Sunak actually ask or offer to "chat' ?

• Like 2

I am trying to see both sides of this, and be reasonable, but am totally lost at why guided Missile or other can criticise him? 

There are no reports that anything actually happened that could be called rude or a snub. 

Sunak wasn't just there as a fan, or he would not have had a photographer to try and use saints to boost his image. 

All opinion polls, including conservative home and others focusing on conservative voters indicate very few feel he has done a good job, so why should people be in awe of him? 

Martin was directly asked and said he would not be saying hello sir. Which is quite reasonable. 

He made polite comments about hoping he enjoyed the game etc and did not directly criticise him. 

He was professional and said it didn't distract him from doing his job (and we played very well again). 

Non story. 

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

He's another chippy prick like Nigel Pearson. I have a feeling his career will take the same trajectory as his, especially if we fail to get promoted.

I think the fact he came "armed" with his own photographer so he can paint himself as a man of the people tells you all you need to know about him as a person and your worship of him tells us all we want to know about you! Happy New Year.

• Like 14

I already liked RM, but I like him even more now. Got it spot on, IMO. Acknowledge that Sunak's a fan, make him welcome, wish him a good time etc like any other fan (and I'm sure he is a genuine fan, no issue with that) but steer the conversation away from politics as you don't see eye-to-eye on them, and you're not there to discuss that anyway.

Job done.

• Like 6

40 minutes ago, Nemi said:

Always be respectful and polite, yet in your first post you invent an imaginary scenario in your head to try and discredit the manager. 

41 minutes ago, Nemi said:

1. My post referred to being professional AT WORK - am I writing in a professional capacity?

2. My post was not disrespectful it was voicing a measured opinion in a PERSONAL capacity 

3. My imaginary scenario wasn’t discrediting the manger - I was outlining the scenario that Sunak did the equivalent to Martin to demonstrate how UNPROFESSIONAL it would be

1 hour ago, Sir Ralph said:

If Martin gets sacked and Sunak gets asked the question about this should he say “Not too bothered about the bloke, glad he’s gone, never liked his politics anyway?”

9 minutes ago, Sir Ralph said:

3. My imaginary scenario wasn’t discrediting the manger - I was outlining the scenario that Sunak did the equivalent to Martin to demonstrate how UNPROFESSIONAL it would be

If Sunak said that about Martin I would be equally disinterested. It's ok for people to have differing opinions and be honest about them.

I might wonder why Martin's politics were in any way relevant to his ability to manage the football club as I imagine the reason he'd be getting sacked would be more to do with footballing things. But that would be questioning his reasoning in this hypothetical rather than this professionalism.

I would be questioning Martin's professionalism if he let Sunak turn a football match into more of a political photo opportunity for Sunak and his cameraman.

Never mind Martin's reaction to Sunak's visit..... we were pissed off because the car parks and roads next to the stadium were closed off for half an hour for him to leave. All the roads, because no one told the stewards which route he was taking. There were some fairly strong 'political' comments made in the queue of cars near us!   '😉

Not had this delay when he's been before.

• Like 3

I think, or rather I know Russel was a lot more respectfully and polite than I would have been to an ex-public school boy multi-millionaire, who unelected leads the most disfunction, morally bankrupt bunch of hate fuelled monsters ever to preside over the worse fall in living standards since records began and who are hell bent on running our great nation into bankruptcy.

• Like 8

The answer Martin gave smacked of I don’t agree at all with sunak’s policies and I have no time for him.

The guy is a saints fan, just acknowledge the importance of the position, and treat it cordially, say you would say hello have a chat about the game but defo won t go into detail with how he runs the country.

His answer smacked of hatred for the man and that s what is disturbing.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

27 minutes ago, Morse said:

I think, or rather I know Russel was a lot more respectfully and polite than I would have been to an ex-public school boy multi-millionaire, who unelected leads the most disfunction, morally bankrupt bunch of hate fuelled monsters ever to preside over the worse fall in living standards since records began and who are hell bent on running our great nation into bankruptcy.

Were you around with Wilson, Benn and co?

3 hours ago, Guided Missile said:

He's another chippy prick like Nigel Pearson. I have a feeling his career will take the same trajectory as his, especially if we fail to get promoted.

Get over it mate, no need to be butthurt about it at all. If Martin's politics don't agree with yours it's got fuck all to do with you, and there's fuck all you can do about it. I wouldn't have gone out of my way to meet a corrupt parties leader either, Saints fan or otherwise. 

FUCK THE TORIES.

• Like 3

It was a graceless response from RM, we don't need to know your politics just show some manners towards a guest who is a genuine Saints fan. BTW I'd say the same about any other politician regardless of their party.

Besides which, the amount of money Sunak has he could be a future owner. The guy is loaded.

• Like 3

Just now, Cabrone said:

It was a graceless response from RM, we don't need to know your politics just show some manners towards a guest who is a genuine Saints fan. BTW I'd say the same about any other politician regardless of their party.

Besides which, the amount of money Sunak has he could be a future owner. The guy is loaded.

His wife is loaded. Sunak's personal fortune is nowhere near football club ownership levels.

Russell Martin is here to win games of football, not pander to the prime minister’s PR stunt to appear as a regular guy who goes to the football. 

I could’ve give a fuck what RM’s political allegiances are. He could be a non binary, Green Party supporting, just stop oil protester for all I care. As long as he keeps us winning it doesn’t matter. 

If Rishi wants to watch Saints games without any self serving attention seeking, he should have got a box and kept himself to himself. 

• Like 1

Just now, RedArmy said:

Russell Martin is here to win games of football, not pander to the prime minister’s PR stunt to appear as a regular guy who goes to the football. 

I could’ve give a fuck what RM’s political allegiances are. He could be a non binary, Green Party supporting, just stop oil protester for all I care. As long as he keeps us winning it doesn’t matter. 

If Rishi wants to watch Saints games without any self serving attention seeking, he should have got a box and kept himself to himself. 

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2018/nov/23/russell-martin-footballer-joined-green-party-walsall

just as well really 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Yeah agree with that. No need to do that. Whatever his political leanings, Martin should have acknowledged he his a Saints fan at the end of the day. Judging by Caroline Dinniege's comments, Sunak gets a fair amount of stick from other local MP's because of his Saints connections

Did you not read the whole quote, "but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team".

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fan The Flames said:

Did you not read the whole quote, "but I know he’s a fan and I hope he enjoyed watching the team".

Then why say he would have nothing to say to him? Is he like that before / after games with autograph hunters? Saying that, the way he dismisses legitimate fan comments at fans forum, he probably would ignore the average joe if he could.

It was clearly a semi-political jibe, which was quite sad really.

Edited by AlexLaw76
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3