Rotherham 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

23 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

I've quite enjoyed their take on things. Happy to give out credit where it's due and be critical when it's due! They are right about Adams, a poor game from him. But we've not got much on the bench in Mara. Ah, here he comes now.

yeah they grew on me for sure, honest appraisal and still giving shout outs

• Like 1

solid win.

kind of feel like we are putting Ipswich in the rear view mirror.

It's Leeds we got to worry about.

** oh, and kudos to Bazunu and the back 4. When was the last time we allowed more than 1 goal in a match? Defense and midfield play has been the key to this run!

Edited by SaintTex
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Home to Huddersfield next week should be another win, meanwhile Ipswich have a tough game v WBA. Might be able to put a bit of a gap between us and them 

Said a while back that we needed to build a gap as March looks pretty difficult for us

• Like 1

Just now, SaintTex said:

solid win.

kind of feel like we are putting Ipswich in the rear view mirror.

It's Leeds we got to worry about.

Who play Rotherham at home next week!      We host Huddersfield who dismantled Danny Rohl's SW today.

The unbeaten run continues!

A game we controlled right from the start. 75% possession in the end.
We got an early goal. Stayed in our patient play as usual for quite a while,.But we're learning to change the distribution, where we can;t draw teams out or up the tempo. That got us the second, and shook away any reminders of the previous Rotherham game. The second came in a little burst of activity 10 mins before half time.

Rotherham tried to change things up during the first half. They couldn;t cope with us, and their keeper went down to give them 2 minutes to make some tactical switches.

Second half, Rotherham got a littel more of the ball. But rally only a little. Part of that was us allowing them to come onto us a bit more. We didn;t really get much of a benefit in it. We rarely got a clean break, and the passing angles didn;t really present themselves. But something we're looking at for situations to break teams down while maintaining control. We also treid a few deliveries from deep and wide between AA and Che.

While we didn;t create laods of opportuniites, we were never in any real danger. As per previous weeks, their chances came from deliverines into players who would have to finish on the run. 1 shot on target from them.

Baz did everything he needed to do well. A bit more involved today with some solid saves, clearing form corners and one lovely pass out.

THB looks a class above at this level and is helped no end by Bednarek beside him.

Manning a mixed bag. Better forward, but having to do more defensively. Gets in good positions, but the distribution isn;t quite there. A combination of our players needing that little more to be on the end of things, and a lot of deliveries that are too hard or not quite there.

KWP another stand out at this level. As we've got better elsewhere, we don;t have to depend on him being key to attacks. So he gets to cover a lot of area (center attacking mid at a few points), linking up and providing numbers and cover.

Smallbone everywhere again today. Such a key player for that possession style. As he develops he's going to be more of an asset when we need to be more direct and attackign too. GOt into a number of good attacking positions today as well as all his usual cover and availability.

Downes impressed throughout. His engine allows the others to get all that movement in.

Not Stu's day today. Screened well enough, but got muscled out at times and just couldn;t keep possession much. Good off the ball stuff though.

Che another game without any key moments, but with a lot of bits and pieces. There to provide for AA when deep. More central to recieve. But the game didn;t ahve any high tempo to it, so he was caught up in a lot of slower play.

Fraser industrious and strong first half, and key to us putting the game to bed. The team needed a bit of energy second half, and good to see him protected.

AA that combination of finisher and hard worker that keeps the team moving. Anotehr key player today.

Brooks was bright, sharp and direct when he came oin. Good understanding with those around him. Particualrly with Mara on a coule of occassions. Mara keen to get on the end of things, beign more central. He's cealrly happier there, and with so many players for the sider poisitons now, we may see more of a focus on him here.

We didn't punish Rotherham in the second half. We didn;t really need to, and we were confortable throughout.  lots of positives, clearly trying some different things in there and the subs offered us some different possibilities which is interesting to see when the game is under control.

Martin will be pleased by that level of control, and we'll keep working away at creating and finsihing chances when we get them. Ipswich losing gets us back up into second. Leeds now third. Looking at the other teams, the level of control we have, and the work rate needed to maintain it sets us apart at the moment.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, The Cat said:

Errr, nope. 

Not everyone is a knee jerk reactionary fool.

Well, we are what we are. You are the font of football knowledge, and I am a cock. 

That’s life!

• Haha 7

After the event looks a routine win but could easily have been 4 or 5-0...or 1-2 and edgy. Bazunu played well, Bednarek and THB. AA super-hard working, Ryan Fraser too, Smallbone played well too. Thought Che Adams was poor, Stuart Armstrong had an off day, KWP looked disinterested in running past the last defender, Manning not great. Brooks is going to be a great asset.

Now to keep winning and put some daylight between us and Leeds. That's the rest of the season for us I think.

Come on you Saints!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

Brooks is going to be a great player for us.

Good performance but we can play so much better than that.  I didn’t think Stu Armstrong had his best game though.

Just one of those games where he didn;t win too many challenges. He was perhaps trying them a little more centrally today, were a number of his runs vcome frm epxloiting a bit more space. He got nothing from the ref which didn;t help his mood either. He was doing some good things helping others get into the game though. So, even on a day where it's not going well for him in one way, his skill allows outlets for the others. Nice to know we had a comfortable win, and have players who are going to have much better games. 🙂

• Like 1

We won that at a canter, despite a couple of players having off days (Stu and Che). Never really got out of second gear, and didn't need to. 

Brooks looked very bright when he came on. Looking forward to seeing more of him.

Quietest ground I've ever been to. Didn't hear a single song from the home fans. I know they're bottom of the league and don't have much to sing about, but they were completely silent from start to finish.

Enjoyed the '23 undefeated' song. Hoping we can add to that in the coming games.

• Like 1

Great win a dn excellent that Ipswich didn’t come back quite enough. 
watching Sheffield Utd getting pumped and fans leaving 22 mins in at 3-0 down at home and hope very much this isnt what it will be like for us next season

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, CSA96 said:

Next weekend's games:

Leicester: Watford (A)
Southampton: Huddersfield (H)
Leeds: Rotherham (H)
Ipswich: West Brom (H)

Never know what you are going to get with Watford, would have thought Leicester will have too much for them. Leeds should beat Rotherham at home comfortably. Another tough game for Ipswich, defeat for them with us and Leeds winning would be a massive dent in their top two chances. 

45 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Said a while back that we needed to build a gap as March looks pretty difficult for us

We won’t get that luxury I’m afraid as the others keep winning too. We’ve just got to not lose when we play the teams around us and win the rest 

• Like 2

Just now, Turkish said:

We won’t get that luxury I’m afraid as the others keep winning too. We’ve just got to not lose when we play the teams around us and win the rest 

very true. Huddersfield next week marks the end of the easiest group of fixtures of all the top sides...thankfully, we have made the most of it

50 minutes ago, woodsaint1 said:

Which part? If anyone is seriously worried about anyone apart from Leicester then they are watching a different team to me. I’d fancy us to take a point at Leicester too. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Which part? If anyone is seriously worried about anyone apart from Leicester then they are watching a different team to me. I’d fancy us to take a point at Leicester too. 

Leeds for me. Leicester are too far away to catch now. Second place is a two way between them and us now. 

5 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Leeds for me. Leicester are too far away to catch now. Second place is a two way between them and us now. 

Difficult, but if we win our game in hand and at Leicester it's only another 6 points , which is achievable 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, sfc4prem said:

It's the run of four fixtures in 10 days that will really show the benefits of our squad and style of play.

Screenshot_20240203_173048_Chrome.jpg

it's even more brutal than that!!!  We just started an 11 matches in a 36 day stretch (*potentially). Midweek matches every week for the next 5 weeks.

• 03/02/24 Rotherham (a)
  • 06/02/24 Watford (h) - FA Cup
  • 10/02/24 Huddersfield (h)
  • 13/02/24 Bristol (a)
  • 16/02/24 West Brom (a)
  • 20/02/24 Hull (h)
  • 24/02/24 Millwall (h)
  • 28/02/24 Liverpool (a) - FA Cup (maybe)*
  • 02/03/24 Birmingham (a)
  • 06/03/24 Preston (h)
  • 09/03/24 Sunderland (h)

i reckon Martin is going to put out a very weakened side Tuesday and let the chips fall where they may.

Edited by SaintTex