Rotherham 0-2 Saints - Match Thread

Yorkshire Saint

Seems to me Ipswich have choked, in a rut, they could go on a fantastic run. 

Leeds are the big guns now, Leicester could fall away………………………

I have no idea how this is playing out. Just top two is all the matters.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

very true. Huddersfield next week marks the end of the easiest group of fixtures of all the top sides...thankfully, we have made the most of it

Yes the form of the other 3 means we need to be relentless. A 23 unbeaten run and we’re still only 1 point above third and 11 behind top tells you how little margin for error there is

• Like 8

I’m looking out for Leeds more than Ipswich. Would be nice to get the goal difference better than Leeds as it could be very important come the final day. Ipswich are finally dropping away, which I have been saying since October 😂

I still think we are going to lose at WBA and I have no idea why I think that! 

Potential banana skin avoided. Box ticked and onto the next. The coming busy period will reveal how good we really are but, right now, I'd back us against any side home or away. The addition of Brooks has strengthened us and he'll certainly get game time during this run. If he plays well it will give RM a nice selection head ache.  Right now our confidence going into games must be sky high and sometimes that is half the battle.

2 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

I’m looking out for Leeds more than Ipswich. Would be nice to get the goal difference better than Leeds as it could be very important come the final day. Ipswich are finally dropping away, which I have been saying since October 😂

I still think we are going to lose at WBA and I have no idea why I think that! 

Ipswich are dropping away at the moment.

• Haha 1

That was an absolute doddle, we just took the tempo down in the 2nd half as it was in the bag from the third min really. All over them, we were just a yard better in thought and speed. They had no chance.

There weren't any poor performers at all, as per every match over the last few months really - standout for me again was Smallbone though, I thought he was class in some of what he did.

Brooks came on and immediately showed a speed of thought and awareness that will be above anyone we've had in that position this season. 

Onto the next one. This season is reminding me a lot of our L1 promotion season under Adkins.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

52 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Seems to me Ipswich have choked, in a rut, they could go on a fantastic run. 

Leeds are the big guns now, Leicester could fall away………………………

I have no idea how this is playing out. Just top two is all the matters.

The top 3 is how it sits now in my eyes. Ipswich will fall away, inevitable really - but they've been remarkable.

It's between us and Leeds for 2nd, I just hope that it doesn't come down to the last day at their place, as I'm not sure I could genuinely cope!

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

The top 3 is how it sits now in my eyes. Ipswich will fall away, inevitable really - but they've been remarkable.

It's between us and Leeds for 2nd, I just hope that it doesn't come down to the last day at their place, as I'm not sure I could genuinely cope!

If we win our game in hand and match their results for the rest of the season we will be promoted by then

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Looking at the remaining fixtures you'd have to say Leeds have a favourable run-in as they only face ourselves and Leicester from the top six. We'll need to be right on our game to get across the line but we can certainly do it.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Turkish said:

If we win our game in hand and match their results for the rest of the season we will be promoted by then

That’s an interesting way of looking at it. 😂🤣🤣🤭

I think there’s a fair chance that’s how it will turn out. 

Out of interest, how many points or in what range of points do you think we need actually finish on to achieve the automatic place? 

The XI were on it from the off today, and had it not be for the Rotherham keeper it would have been far more comfortable before the intensity reduced second half.

The selection on Tuesday will be interesting.... mega changes last time resulted in the worst performance seen since September.
Stephens will play, but maybe it'll have to be at RB if KWP is rested.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gio1saints said:

Out of interest, how many points or in what range of points do you think we need actually finish on to achieve the automatic place? 

I thought you said the games against Leicester, Ipswich, Leeds and WBA were free hits?

46 minutes ago, Chez said:

Took all of about two touches to reaffirm to me that Brooks is a quality player and he's too good to be playing in the Championship again. 

Ridiculous. Not your post but those two touches. Once Brooks and KWP start dovetailing down that right side, some defenders are going to end up needing counselling.

I have always loved width, and we have the opportunity to have both sides fizzing. My main frustration today was Manning - not because he was poor defensively (unusually, he wasn't) but because he kept pushing so far forward that he took away the space that Fraser needs for his game. And then he played it square or back for the most part.

The change I was expecting - Brooks on, Che off, and Adam Armstrong to the middle - didn't happen. If we'd done that I think we might have bagged a couple more, but I think Martin is managing his squad really well with the fixture congestion in mind.

Yes, we're looking at a boatload of games in a short space of time, but so are the other contenders. And that brings it back to squad depth, where we have the edge over pretty much all of them.

• Like 6

It's hard to believe how far Leicester are ahead. They have had a couple of blips but overall I cannot see them being caught. I think we have to concentrate on what's going on behind us rather than above. Leeds are dangerous in my opinion 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Billy said:

It's hard to believe how far Leicester are ahead. They have had a couple of blips but overall I cannot see them being caught. I think we have to concentrate on what's going on behind us rather than above. Leeds are dangerous in my opinion 

Ipswich aren't out of it and they made some important signings in January in Sarmiento, Al-Hamadi and Moore but I do think it's a two horse race between us and Leeds for 2nd. We can aim for Leicester but I think they're clear now, we just need to keep our noses ahead of Leeds and their immense fire power.

Firstly, thanks to Bad Wolf for the stream link which worked pretty well.

That was as routine a win as you will see, and it always felt as if Saints were playing well within themselves. With an FA cup reply on Tuesday and games coming twice a week for some time I've no issue with game management at the moment, although I'd like to see our GD improve.

As Tessem said on the commentary, now we're second all we have to do is concentrate on our own game and if we do it well we won't be caught. I didn't immediately realise that we have a game in hand on Leeds although they are still the biggest worry, IMO.

Che, KWP and Stu all looked a bit off their game, but it didn't matter. The latter definitely doesn't seem like a 90 minute player any more and thought he'd have come off earlier. Brooks looked tasty in just a few touches, and it will be interesting to see how long he gets on Tuesday. I have my ticket for that game: does anybody know how many we've sold?

2 hours ago, Saint Billy said:

Leicester should never have been relegated in the first place, that team had a catastrophe and for whatever reason downed tools. 

As commanding a performance as you can get, their keeper was MOTM tells it all. 
Good chat with their fans in The bluecoat who said the keeper is best player .

Bednarek and THB superb but 2 stand out for me were Manning(crossing not so good ) but got forward well, decent defensively, good interceptions , no gifted passes and Smallbone who did lots of fetching and covering and kept it moving unlucky not to score.

Thats 4 away league wins on the trot for me and loving it you can stick your VAR where sun doesn’t shine but financially we need promotion.

Stayed up and went to Kelham Island Percy St great street food, music and craft beer if in Sheffield check it out even for us old gits it’s nice place.

Edited by Give it to Ron
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Greedyfly said:

Fuck that, lets flip those top two spots :classic_biggrin:

Realistically Leicester are not chucking away enough points for anyone to catch them. They’ve probably got a more ruthless edge to them, scoring 5 away in a midlands derby - we should have been 4 or 5 up by halftime in the last 2 away league games but have relaxed the pace and intensity second half. Not complaining, it’s likely tactical as we could probably up the tempo if required.

And yesterday Vik the Viking was their MOTM (in both fixtures against us -unfortunately for them they’ll lose him in the summer) but the ratio of chances created to converted could improve.

8 hours ago, redandwhitey said:

Don’t think he can play on Tuesday

cup tied against Swansea ?

Correct, surprised he didn't get more minutes yesterday in place of someone who can play on Tuesday.

Good away day, funny place Rotherham, felt a bit sorry for them chatting to a couple of their fans pre match - completely resigned to relegation with no hope of putting up a fight, shame they have Leeds away next. 

Definitely felt like we were holding back a bit, trying to get through the 90 mins whilst preserving energy. Hopefully no injuries looked like Flynn Downes got a knock. 

Was always going to be a popular trip with people keen to tick the ground off, weird seeing the old ground still there would have thought it would be knocked down by now. 

I am writing off Ipswich yet, win their game in hand and they are back above Leeds.

For this season we've been hunting now we become the hunted.

Liked what I saw from Brooks as all above looks fast and quick of mind.

Out of the team who started thought Che and Stuey werent on it today and defensively they kept getting behind manning.

Expect we will see armstrong in centre soon with brooks and fraser off him, that could be epic.

12 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Their recent form is dreadful...

Screenshot_20240203_185134_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a19a70aa00fec3a06c7fe30c2b718df0.jpg

I love that table!  Joint most points, with a game in hand, best defensive record (less than a goal every two games), 2nd best offensive record, best goal difference. 

Really shows how far we've come this season

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Give it to Ron said:

Stayed up and went to Kelham Island Percy St great street food, music and craft beer if in Sheffield check it out even for us old gits it’s nice place.

Kelham Island is great. So many good street food and craft beer venues have opened up in recent years. 

Edited by Sheaf Saint
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

Realistically Leicester are not chucking away enough points for anyone to catch them. They’ve probably got a more ruthless edge to them, scoring 5 away in a midlands derby - we should have been 4 or 5 up by halftime in the last 2 away league games but have relaxed the pace and intensity second half. Not complaining, it’s likely tactical as we could probably up the tempo if required.

And yesterday Vik the Viking was their MOTM (in both fixtures against us -unfortunately for them they’ll lose him in the summer) but the ratio of chances created to converted could improve.

Midlands derby???

Stoke is closer to Liverpool than it is to Leicester. 

12 hours ago, gio1saints said:

One more than the team in third place.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Turkish said:

We’ve averaged just over a point a game more than them since the start of November 

13 hours ago, Sheaf Saint said:

Their recent form is dreadful...

Screenshot_20240203_185134_Chrome.thumb.jpg.a19a70aa00fec3a06c7fe30c2b718df0.jpg

Yes they had a pretty shit Christmas, and their poor form is down to too many draws, that can be fixed. They are still very much in the race for second.

• Like 1

Good trip. Decent night on Friday in Sheffield which is a great place. Rotherham is your typical northern town that’s dwarfed by a big city nearby, the locals all seemed friendly enough though. 

The game was extremely comfortable right from the offset and it was clear that we were going through the motions second half. Without their excellent goalkeeper it would have been 4 or 5. Brooks is a brilliant signing and will prove to be too good at this level. It’s going to be a brilliant run-in, and I think it’ll go right down to that last game at Elland Road. 

Edited by LGTL

Starting to feel rather like those promotion seasons under Adkins now, though sacrilege, personally I prefer watching this team - the loanee express!
For my youngest boy it’s his first season with a season ticket and I’ve been saying for months (to him and on here) to take stock end of January. Also that Saints will need to forget about sides alongside and concentrate on ticking along, like a metronome. For auto promotion in the football league you need a bit of Terminator or Anton Chigurh about you.  
Here we are. The recent run of games over December and January has built genuine confidence and its hard to see us losing that now, of course we may blip, but likelihood is it will just be a blip not coming off the rails. There is too much quality and pride in  this side for that now in my opinion. I also think that we win our game in hand and that by the time we play Leeds we are likely to already be up. Fraser has said the target for this side is now Leicester and I think that’s the internal focus now.
So many Saints sides over the years would have lost or drawn those two away games at Swansea or Rotherham, not this team. You could see yesterday that Saints had a second and third gear in reserve and appeared to be conserving energy, the measure of the best teams. Brooks in his cameo looked a class apart, and we know that the likes of KWP, THB, Fraser and Downes already are. It’s in our hands now and I think eyes are on the prize - good times after years of gruel. COYR! 

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Rotherham is your typical northern town that’s dwarfed by a big city nearby, the locals all seemed friendly enough though. 

Rotherham is to Sheffield what Eastliegh is to Southampton.

Like a chavvy neighbour with an old sofa and broken washing machine in the front garden, being regularly visited by the police and lowering the tone of the area.

44 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Is he a great keeper or (love him as we do) like KD a good shot stopper when facing an onslaught saving 8 out of 10 but team still concede & lose?

I would have thought that any keeper that saves 8 out of ten shots per game would be worth looking at.....

46 minutes ago, Paulwantsapint81 said:

Is he a great keeper or (love him as we do) like KD a good shot stopper when facing an onslaught saving 8 out of 10 but team still concede & lose?

Maybe but I had a look back on some threads on X and it seems like most other teams fans who face Rotherham also think he is one of the best keepers in the league. 

2 hours ago, Barsiem said:

I love that table!  Joint most points, with a game in hand, best defensive record (less than a goal every two games), 2nd best offensive record, best goal difference. 

Really shows how far we've come this season

And last game it was the best offensive record (Leicester scoring 5 puts them ahead.) 

11 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

Leicester should never have been relegated in the first place, that team had a catastrophe and for whatever reason downed tools. 

It's a moot point. If the three that came down last season go back up and the three that went up last season come back down it will probably confirm your suspicion and also the more general point that the more established teams in the PL are so far ahead of the Championship level that relegation and promotion are becoming an irritating necessity.

I'm not advocating for a closed league but where we go from there is challenging. Time for a two tier PL of 16 teams in each?