Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

32 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Only listened to the commentary but sounded absolutely dreadful. Tessem raging through most of it about our tactics/shape/etc.

It's going to be the play offs for us. Just goes to show how fucking moronic the talk of us chasing down  Leicester to win the fucking league was. We're now solid fourth.

We still have top 3 to play away. We will lose all 3 I think. So 4th is not nailed by any means

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

81% is the highest possession stat. this season,  most of it was in/around  the centre circle,  and our 13 corners led to just 1 goal.

Re-think required here Russell...... 

Speaks volumes.

24 minutes ago, Convict Colony said:

This is why I was talking about burnely and their adoption this season, they are getting destroyed more than katie price's car insurance

Getting destroyed more than Katie Price's minge, more like.

• Haha 4

📊 Will Smallbone vs Millwall: 

• Lost possession 13 times

• 0 Tackles

• 0 Interceptions

• 0/1 Aerial duals won

• 0/3 Ground duals won

• 0/1 Successful dribbles

• 0/2 Cross accuracy 

Just seen this on Twitter. Surely this can't be true 😂

Edited by Harry_SFC
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Sad 2

1 minute ago, Harry_SFC said:

• 0 Tackles

• 0 Interceptions

• 0/1 Aerial duals won

• 0/3 Ground duals won

• 0/2 Cross accuracy 

Midfield Colossus 😂

• Like 1

Our form has dipped since we lost Alcarez. It was hugely frustrating that it was decided he should move on. Was he not liked by Martin because be moved forward with the ball and looked to create chances. Perhaps Alcarez got fed up with the ponderous sideways passing and trying to play with the likes of Smallbone who do not break into a sweat and are content to pass the ball back. Rothwell is no comparison with Alcarez or Downes. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, dellboysaint said:

Our form has dipped since we lost Alcarez. It was hugely frustrating that it was decided he should move on. Was he not liked by Martin because be moved forward with the ball and looked to create chances. Perhaps Alcarez got fed up with the ponderous sideways passing and trying to play with the likes of Smallbone who do not break into a sweat and are content to pass the ball back. Rothwell is no comparison with Alcarez or Downes. 

I don't think you can put this on Charly leaving, he wasn't a key part of the 11 that went unbeaten in 25. In and out at best, but never a regular (that's why he went). I didn't think our style really suited Charly which is a shame as he could have thrived at this level, so I do somewhat agree with what you say in terms of the reasons he's not here.

But I don't think you can say we're missing Charly as he wasn't really the regular we all thought he'd be.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

What really annoyed me was that Millwall weren't good, they weren't clever, basically they were just there. And we still couldn't beat them.

That's a good way of putting it! They did just stand there, they didn't really do anything spectacular - but we were so, so predictable in that second half. 90% of the passes were telegraphed before they left the players foot. 

That's what's made today's game even worse. Credit to Hull who were very good on the night, and so were Huddersfield when they came to St Mary's, but Millwall were atrocious and we didn't have enough imagination or drive to move them around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

What really annoyed me was that Millwall weren't good, they weren't clever, basically they were just there. And we still couldn't beat them.

If it wasn't for the offside 1st goal and then the non penalty they would not have scored. However we didn't look like scoring either. Not the 4-0 thrashing that was predicted. What happened today is we lost another fantastic borrowed player

11 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

• 0 Tackles

• 0 Interceptions

• 0/1 Aerial duals won

• 0/3 Ground duals won

• 0/2 Cross accuracy 

It’s not.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

We still don’t have a decent striker - someone who knows where to be at the right time in the box.

A critical failure in the summer, and in January. Again.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, coalman said:

I'd rather have a wobble now, sort our shit and turn up for the play offs than get pipped and fizzle out. At least this way we have time to turn it around. We're still a good side that has played some lovely stuff this season.

Admittedly I'd also rather we win every game until the end of the season and go up automatically.

We're not playing lovely stuff now. Today as with Tuesday was clueless.

Just now, Badger said:

A critical failure in the summer, and in January. Again.

The striker situation at this club has been incompetent. Look at the options Leeds have - Bamford, Gelherdt, Piroe, Rutter.  We've got Adams and Mara as 9's. Not enough.

Even Ipswich went and recruited Keifer Moore as they saw a gap (they'd lost Hirst for the season). Not sure why we think we're so different.

We'll probably start playing with false 9's soon.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, 6ft8saint said:

If it wasn't for the offside 1st goal and then the non penalty they would not have scored. However we didn't look like scoring either. Not the 4-0 thrashing that was predicted. What happened today is we lost another fantastic borrowed player

I must admit it did look like a penalty to me at the ground. Haven't seen it back though.

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

The striker situation at this club has been incompetent. Look at the options Leeds have - Bamford, Gelherdt, Piroe, Rutter.  We've got Adams and Mara as 9's. Not enough.

Even Ipswich went and recruited Keifer Moore as they saw a gap (they'd lost Hirst for the season). Not sure why we think we're so different.

Isn't the 'False 9'  we last used at Juventus ?

1 minute ago, S-Clarke said:

We should play Stephens as a false 9

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

• 0 Tackles

• 0 Interceptions

• 0/1 Aerial duals won

• 0/3 Ground duals won

• 0/2 Cross accuracy 

He is absolutely horrendous. Even if they aren’t true, the bloke needs selling. 

• Like 1

Just now, LGTL said:

He'll be the pin-up boy for our future Championship seasons! The spine of Stephens, Smallbone, Manning and Mara is enough to give you nightmares.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, obelisk said:

Russell is apparently offering us an "exciting" end to the season. Does he mean the sort of excitement where Saints cling on to a play-off place or does he mean more adventurous tactics?

Winning games at home v the likes of Millwall, and Rotherham would make it more exciting or perhaps I'm missing something. And not having a porous defence with Bazunu behind them.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

He'll be the pin-up boy for our future Championship seasons! The spine of Stephens, Smallbone, Manning and Mara is enough to give you nightmares.

It will go down in history as our invertebrate era! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

I must admit it did look like a penalty to me at the ground. Haven't seen it back though.

I was there too at the ground like every other home game it hit him in the face re nose bleed

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

It would be funny if it wasn’t so predictable. It’s exactly how next season is going to look. Plenty more results like today to come. 

Completely played into their hands. They would have been praying for an early set piece, up steps Willy Smallbone with a completely needless foul, punt into the box and we can’t deal with it. From then on it was laboured and sluggish.

Too many lost their heads towards the end, which is a recipe for disaster in the play offs. Composure needs to be regained quickly on the pitch and in the dugout.

• Like 1

Best right backin the league playing at left back.......best centre back playing at right back ! Manager fav Stephens back in at centre back......I think Russell is starting to,lose the plot . Very predictable football .Millwall were shit and we still could not beat them!

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Why we didn't take 9million from Sheffield United is beyond me he could be another one of their problems now

Millwall were well organised,, but that's it. There is not a decent footballer amongst them. And apart from AArmstongs header second half we offered nothing. Poor, very very poor today. I think we're going to be in this league for another season at least. 

• Like 3

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic