Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

12 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Seriously, show a bit of sportsmanship. They came, they did a job on us, and we were not good enough. It is not the school playground! 🙄 

Edited by Dr Who?
  • Like 6

15 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Someone get a steak and kidney pie down him.

Agree must be hangry. Some of us predicted his lack of protein would cost us at the business end of the season and it’s proven

Edited by Turkish
  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

13 hours ago, SW11_Saint said:

I can ‘handle’ defeats like the one to Hull - at least they were better team by some margin.

But defeats like today really boil my piss… it was dismal and it was self-inflicted. A pedestrian, workmanlike Millwall team and they made it look easy second half, like a training exercise - and we totally played into their hands. 

The team selection & subs beg questions too. Smallbone just can’t play holding midfielder. Should have played Charles - although he’s no Downes, at least it’s his natural position. I have no idea what he was even doing with Jack Stephens today. Also should have kept Che on who was working hard and providing a focal point for attacks. Arma should have replaced Brooks on the right who was ineffective. After Che went off we were even more toothless up front. Sulemana is simply a headless chicken who doesn’t fit the system. 

Frustrating. Frustrating. Frustrating. 

We’ve thrown away any realistic hope of automatic promotion with these two defeats. 

But have Saints got the right squad to survive in the Prem ? Too many loans and weak links in present team plus how much investment would the owners put in . The other issue is availability of quality players with the big teams plus Saudis sucking up all the best players etc .

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

I noticed Sam Edozie at the end giving hugs to some of the Millwall players so I looked up his history. He began his career in their youth system.

He also spent most of the game hugging their full back tbf.

• Haha 3

If a team comes to St Marys and kicks the fuck out of our players to the point where they're off injured, then launches straight into the replacement, while the keeper feigns injury every time he catches the ball, they can stick their handshakes where the sun don't shine for all I care.

Play the game in a hard sporting manner, shake hands at the end.

But play the game the way they did, don't be surprised if the opposition thinks you don't deserve the courtesy of a handshake.

Just my personal opinion, they're happy, they got the points, but don't expect us to be nice to them, they can go fuck themselves.  😎 👍

• Like 15

26 minutes ago, rallyboy said:

If a team comes to St Marys and kicks the fuck out of our players to the point where they're off injured, then launches straight into the replacement, while the keeper feigns injury every time he catches the ball, they can stick their handshakes where the sun don't shine for all I care.

But play the game the way they did, don't be surprised if the opposition thinks you don't deserve the courtesy of a handshake.

Just my personal opinion, they're happy, they got the points, but don't expect us to be nice to them, they can go fuck themselves.  😎 👍

Okay Russ 👍

• Haha 6

Martin has absolutely no plan B. He has utterly brainwashed the players into a one dimensional performance in every game. We seem incapable of any change in tactics and/or approach. Teams have their tactics against us nailed down from the kick off simply because we are so totally and utterly predictable. 

If you got points for spending games passing the ball ACROSS the pitch and tapping passes to each other in triangles to the far left and right of the goal (rather than actually putting the ball in the net) we’ve been promoted weeks ago. 

Playoffs at best. Probably lose to Hull at Wembley. Exodus of all our decent players inevitably follows.  

Edited by musesaint
Typo
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, rallyboy said:

I wish we’d “kicked the fuck” out of teams, last season when we were “fighting” for survival. I recall games at the sharp end of the season where we didn’t even get a yellow card.

Edited by Toussaint
Punctuation
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, East Kent Saint said:

But have Saints got the right squad to survive in the Prem ? Too many loans and weak links in present team plus how much investment would the owners put in . The other issue is availability of quality players with the big teams plus Saudis sucking up all the best players etc .

This

Edited by Hengistbury Header

That is a four in a row for ref Thomas Bramall 

Lost Millwall (H) - ? Pen 

Lost Fulham (H) 0-2

Lost Grimsby (H) (Fa Cup) - 1-2 - 2 pens, the second was a complete joke, pulling Car's shirt all the way from the half way line and when the ball gets in the GK hands Car "flicks out" with his arm and Thomas Bramall gives the Pen.   

Lost Forest (H) 0-1

No wonder the Saints players and Russell were not very happy at the end. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

All red herrings, the fact is RM thinks he has a midus touch and that is his problem, at times his rational thinking goes out the window.

1 hour ago, Saint_John said:

Lost Fulham (H) 0-2

Lost Grimsby (H) (Fa Cup) - 1-2 - 2 pens, the second was a complete joke, pulling Car's shirt all the way from the half way line and when the ball gets in the GK hands Car "flicks out" with his arm and Thomas Bramall gives the Pen.   

Lost Forest (H) 0-1

I can’t for the life of me see why that should have been a penalty. Fired from four feet away at most and arms down by his side.

Weird.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

FWIW I thought Jack ‘Der Kornish Kaiser’ Stephens did ok in the role Russ asked him to play. But FFS play KWP at RB and THB at CB and don’t fuck about with our two best defenders. Need to get back to clean sheets, and if we can do it at the Hawthorns we should be able to do it pretty much anywhere. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Saint_John said:

Lost Fulham (H) 0-2

Lost Forest (H) 0-1

So Lego was unhappy with this ref  because of his performance in Saints games,  when he was Swansea manager. Makes perfect sense now. No wonder he was livid, who can blame him. I remember SAF kicking right off about Clive Thomas disallowing a goal under Big Ron’s reign at Old Trafford. 

Anyone know how Fraser is?

Could do without losing him but guess its a position we do have Edozie and Sulemana capable of stepping into.

Perhaps time to give Sulemana a few starts and see if he can get back to where he was when we smashed Leeds in the Autumn 

7 hours ago, captainchris said:

All red herrings, the fact is RM thinks he has a midus touch and that is his problem, at times his rational thinking goes out the window.

I doubt King Midas would have shown as much faith in players like Will Smallbone and Ryan Manning.    That's his most damning error in my view.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Anyone know how Fraser is?

Could do without losing him but guess its a position we do have Edozie and Sulemana capable of stepping into.

Perhaps time to give Sulemana a few starts and see if he can get back to where he was when we smashed Leeds in the Autumn 

Certainly give Sulemana a start on Wednesday against Liverpool given the way he played against them last time.

Yesterday's match had all the hallmarks of last year. Passing sideways, down the wings then back again. You'd think by now we'd have a plan to get through teams that set up to park the proverbial bus.

11 hours ago, East Kent Saint said:

Well we will either have a weak team in the Prem, or a weak team in the Championship. At least with the former there is more money. 

• Like 3

On 25/02/2024 at 10:41, Lord Duckhunter said:

I see the Millwall manager says he used the same tactics as when he was with Gillingham and they beat us in the Carabou Cup 🙂

Edited by saintant

47 minutes ago, Kenilworthy said:

Did the applause on 60 minutes to celebrate the anniversary of Southampton's city status not actually happen, or did I miss it?

It's a shame the club didn't go with the original plan of a man in a giant Bargate costume walking around the perimeter of the pitch. 

Referring to Gillingham’s win over Southampton

“We used a similar game plan again today. “We couldn't give up space in the middle of the pitch. We knew that Russ' teams are too good and too structured to do that. "We didn't give up space. They very rarely got through us. We knew we had to invite them wide, but there they have got the best one-vs-one players in the league. So we kicked the shit out of them