Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

Devoid of ideas, devoid of fight, devoid of a plan B.  

Weird team selections, weird subs, really need a reset.  Right now, Saints look like a shambles in all areas of the pitch with no threat.

The Rothwell loan signing was a strange one - why did we not keep Alcaraz?

• Like 1

Stats will tell you it was a freak game...I guess it would be hard to argue it was not, as they scored with a howler from Bazunu and a penalty.

However, what the has happened to Martin?

THB RB/wide right CB?

KwP left wing?

Stephens in a CB/No.10 hybrid something?

We put Millwall under a lot of pressure in their defensive 3rd for large parts of the game, but not much of a goal threat throughout, due to lots of sideways passing allowing them to get 10 men behind the ball. So much sideways and passing backwards, especially in dangerous areas. Rarely do we have a defence facing their own goal.

I find our football largely iritiating. We went on a long run, which was great and thanks to having far better players than most other sides, but dropped too many silly points as we just did not put sides to the sword! Now, when we hit a dodgy spell, Leeds are gone.

Just wait until next season in the championship when we downgrade half of this team, and still trying to play Russ-ball #SouthCoastSwansea

• Like 2

Just now, BotleySaint said:

We seem to get stuck in a rut in some games. Hesitating, choosing to go backwards instead of forwards. No slick passing, just slow and ponderous.

For me it's all about the intent shown at the start of a game. Start fast and that sets the tone. Start slowly as we have done lately and you get what you deserve. That's down to RM and his staff I'm afraid.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd said:

Not going anywhere other than Fratton Park next season.

Perhaps the giddy idiots on here who were talking about Promotion at Xmas are finally realising that Saints are nowhere near Premiership quality as a thumping at Liverpool next week will show. 

Sidney posts. Check to see if we lost. Tick.

#clockwork #textbook

😂

2 minutes ago, AlexLaw76 said:

Stats will tell you it was a freak game...I guess it would be hard to argue it was not, as they scored with a howler from Bazunu and a penalty.

However, what the has happened to Martin?

THB RB/wide right CB?

KwP left wing?

Stephens in a CB/No.10 hybrid something?

We put Millwall under a lot of pressure in their defensive 3rd for large parts of the game, but not much of a goal threat throughout, due to lots of sideways passing allowing them to get 10 men behind the ball. So much sideways and passing backwards, especially in dangerous areas. Rarely do we have a defence facing their own goal.

I find our football largely iritiating. We went on a long run, which was great and thanks to having far better players than most other sides, but dropped too many silly points as we just did not put sides to the sword! Now, when we hit a dodgy spell, Leeds are gone.

Just wait until next season in the championship when we downgrade half of this team, and still trying to play Russ-ball #SouthCoastSwansea

Yep. Next year is going to be dreadful if we don't go up. Still trying to play this style but with worse and less capable players. It's going to be like banging your head against a wall. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Like 1

This has been horrible, Saints style of football has been sussed out.

Always thought it was going to be the play offs.

Need to use the next 12 games to set ourselves up for that.

However this team would be mullered every week in the Prem. I don't want to go through that again either.

Bollocks

• Like 3

Well I decided not to follow the game today, dug out the Wii and played Skyward Sword. Sounds like it was a better use of my time.

Not over but does anyone still think we’ll get autos? Personally I think we are destined for playoffs so I want as few key injuries to players as possible.

Still have The big boys to play though so win them and we’re back in contention. Still…

Only listened to the commentary but sounded absolutely dreadful. Tessem raging through most of it about our tactics/shape/etc.

It's going to be the play offs for us. Just goes to show how fucking moronic the talk of us chasing down  Leicester to win the fucking league was. We're now solid fourth.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, hypochondriac said:

Yep. Next year is going to be dreadful if we don't go up. Still trying to play this style but with worse and less capable players. It's going to be like banging your head against a wall. 

I think next year will be worse than dreadful if we do go up. We are not ready to mix it in the Prem and far from it.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, benjii said:

Bad crosses. We've put about 30 crosses in and about two of them have been any good. Check the stats.

Obviously Flynn Beckham would have changed that.

One thing I am disappointed with is that we haven't tried a different shape this half. All the subs more or less like for like. We should have changed it up a bit.

They played 3 lumps at CB to our single lone forward. Is it any wonder we didn’t have more success?

• Like 1

Well now, what a bag of shite that was. Millwall were fucking awful and we've gifted them a win.

I knew the unbeaten run wouldn't go on forever, but for it to end quite as abruptly as it has is very alarming. 3 defeats out of 4 in the space of two weeks - two of them at home. 

I'm not completely giving up hope on autos just yet, but it's looking pretty unlikely now unless we can turn things around quickly. 

If I hear Martin say we weren’t brave enough again I’m going to fucking scream. We’re not brave because he coaches us to retain the ball with mindless over-elaboration. We spurn virtually every chance for a quick, incisive pass. We were done when Fraser went off - the most direct attacker we have.

• Like 3

Embarrassing couple of weeks

I understand we’re missing Downes but this drop off is remarkable, we look like a dead average Championship team and it’ll only be worse next season when the better couple head off as well

It’s one seriously important play-offs and I just don’t fancy it, especially as our goalkeeper is incapable of not just handing goals out for fuck all

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic