Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

Not sure if Bree is going to be fit to start, so I'd either have Stephens or Charles at FB. Manning seems a good lad, puts in a shift, but technically he is just horrific. No where near the required level, he's just championship fodder.

Downes straight back in for me, he's not been out long enough to need to be eased back. If he's available, he starts. Aribo is a good shout for the '8', added real energy in the second half. Didn't think I'd be saying that a year ago.

Agree with the attack, although toss up between Stu and Edozie for me (moving Brooks into the 10). I thought Stu was so, so, so bad tonight.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Not sure if Bree is going to be fit to start, so I'd either have Stephens or Charles at FB. Manning seems a good lad, puts in a shift, but technically he is just horrific. No where near the required level, he's just championship fodder.

Downes straight back in for me, he's not been out long enough to need to be eased back. If he's available, he starts. Aribo is a good shout for the '8', added real energy in the second half. Didn't think I'd be saying that a year ago.

Agree with the attack, although toss up between Stu and Edozie for me (moving Brooks into the 10). I thought Stu was so, so, so bad tonight.

Brooks could be good in the 10, he's got a real eye for a pass. 

• Like 4

5 hours ago, Saint-Reece said:

Rothwell nowhere near the starting XI for me please is all I ask for. 

Charles / Downes (if fit) in and Aribo & Adams to start please. A Armstrong also needs dropping. 

Downes and Aribo for Rothwell and Smallbone - Downes can hold the midfield on his own - Airibo more advanced.     Stephens for Manning;   Adams for Mara;   Fraser for Edozie (on later), Brooks for Arma (on later) and stick with Stu who can share the 10 and wide role with Brooks.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, austsaint said:

Downes and Aribo for Rothwell and Smallbone - Downes can hold the midfield on his own - Airibo more advanced.     Stephens for Manning;   Adams for Mara;   Fraser for Edozie (on later), Brooks for Arma (on later) and stick with Stu who can share the 10 and wide role with Brooks.

I can’t see him dropping Smallbone, he loves him.

• Sad 1

Millwall managed to lose at home to the awful Sheffield Wednesday last time out.

If we can't win this game then we have no right to believe we are serious promotion candidates. 

As long as Rothwell doesn't start at CM, I think we'll be fine. Russ has lost a lot of goodwill with that experiment.

• Like 1

Looking at the next lot of fixtures we need Leeds to get turned over on Friday, but I think they will win. Then they seem to have quite a relatively easy run, like Ipswich (but they are looking a little patchy like us. I do think we will have a good run of results, but it is looking like Leicester and Leeds to go up. Leicester just because they are so far ahead and I think we will be too patchy with form, but Leeds might catch them, especially if they beat Leicester. 

Anyway, we will win this 4-0. 

An absolute must win.

Is Downes going to be fit, we been told he is "close" twice now, is this true or is his injury worse than we are led to believe 

Been easy for RM to manage when things are going well but he really needs to find something a bit different to play like if we are going to keep in the hunt for 2nd but up to now the signs are not good that he will

Edited by tdmickey3
  • Confused 2

Win or lose (we will win) we're in the play offs.

We've got to go to Leeds, and Leicester and Ipswich. I think the only way to be in with a shout of automatic promotion we will need to win all three. We will not do that.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, CB Fry said:

We've got to go to Leeds, and Leicester and Ipswich. I think the only way to be in with a shout of automatic promotion we will need to win all three. We will not do that.

You're breaking our hearts.   But you're absolutely right.

56 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

And yet, against a decent West Brom side we won 2-0 away from home. I think we can raise our game for those big three. It's the other teams we'll under estimate like Martin did yesterday. 

2 hours ago, BotleySaint said:

And yet, against a decent West Brom side we won 2-0 away from home. I think we can raise our game for those big three. It's the other teams we'll under estimate like Martin did yesterday. 

But our record against the bottom half is excellent. Against anything resembling the top half is not good enough (for automatic promotion). I'm not saying we will lose all three, just saying we will not win all three.

Also, I am not quite the distinction you are drawing between WBA and Hull being that they have both been top 6 or thereabouts all season. Hull are as "decent" as WBA.

Edited by CB Fry

3 hours ago, CB Fry said:

Agree. In any other year, we would probably have a small buffer in the auto spot. The relentlessness of Leeds and Ipswich, added to the points we've dropped so far this season and the games we have left to play, means that play-offs is an almost certainty now. 

• Like 1

How we get on depends on whether Russ picks his best side, or worries if players will sulk if they don’t play and pick another side like last night.

Play his best side and we’ll send those fucking Neanderthal knuckle-draggers back to their shitholes potless.

Play the unbalanced shite he played last night and we’ll struggle against anyone in this league.

Going for a 4-0 win.  Look forward to watching their stone-island fuckwits continually making throat-slitting gestures towards us.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

12 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

To be fair to Stu I think he looked bad because of the starting line up and what he had been asked to do. I've never seen him in that role before - at times in the shambolic first half he was almost playing as an auxiliary centre forward and, not surprisingly, looked like a fish out of water.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Pamplemousse said:

Last two games, the first half has been a shocker. We need to get back to being on the front foot from the get go.

4-0 home win.

Picking the right team will help towards that.

• Like 2

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, THB, Stephens, Aribo, Downes, S Armstrong, Fraser, Brooks, Adams.

This needs to be the starting 11 going forward, possibly switching Stephens/Bree and Stu/Edozie. It obviously won't happen though and I fully expect to see Smallbone and A Armstrong starting on Saturday. 

Edited by LGTL

26 minutes ago, LGTL said:

Bazunu, KWP, Bednarek, THB, Stephens, Aribo, Downes, S Armstrong, Fraser, Brooks, Adams.

This needs to be the starting 11 going forward, possibly switching Stephens/Bree and Stu/Edozie. It obviously won't happen though and I fully expect to see Smallbone and A Armstrong starting on Saturday. 

I'll be amazed if he leaves AA out but it needs to happen IMO. He either needs a rest or a kick up the ass because he's been so poor for a month or so.

The next 4 games are huge because of the run we have after them. We simply have to get 12 points really. 

• Like 1

Thought both Armstrong's were off the pace last night, Stu back to his lazy frustrating premier league style. I don't know why, maybe fitness thing as was great against WBA.

Aribo and Downes have to start. I wouldn't mind Smallbone with those two as they offer the physicality. Or maybe Brooks in AM role?

Front three wee man, Che and Edozie/AA

Edited by West end Saints

My main view is that we need a competent geographically aware left back in for this one, so channelling the Burnley bint.

20 games in captivity
Boots too small to fit his feet
His body abused but his mind is still free
Are you so blind that you cannot see? I said¦
Bree is the key fella, I'm begging you
James Bree there is no dilemma

* Drop Manning

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, ErwinK1961 said:

Baz, KWP, THB, Jan, Bree (or Stephens), Downes (or Charles), Aribo, Stu, Fraser, Brooks, Che.

For me     

Baz

kwp.     Thb. Bed.   Stephens 

Downes arribo 

Brooks 

Arma.         Mara.     Fraser 

just cannot bring myself to hope for che up front, that moment in the second half where he miscontrolled the ball slipped over and in doing so blocked arribo from shooting was just che in a nutshell 😆 the guy is just a disaster in the box, yes he can hold the ball up better then Mara but I don’t think it’s worth the trade off..

the other tempting option is maybe to go with a midfield trio of downes smallbone and aribo with brooks on the right instead .. this one probably gives us our most solid midfield possible think aribo still provides some creativity too  Aribo for me is a absolute must start at the moment looks to have a bit of everything and could be just as important as downes imo 

8 hours ago, Farmer Saint said:

We'll win as we will play our 'A' team rather than the 'B' team we played last night. 

Dont understand why he didn’t play the “A” team last night . We looked good in the second half with the changes. Probably would have won last night them. Have a look at things before Millwall. One game at a time.

• Like 1

Really interesting game.  I'm expecting a big reaction from us, if not then I'll be seriously worried on this current form.  AA and Rothwell have played themselves out of contention, expect Stephens to return to cope with the battle and release KWP to play higher, ideally alongside Brooks, who should be fit enough to start - those 2 on the right is embarrassingly good and if they strike up a partnership will be very profitable for us.  Rest Stu for this, with a midfield 3 of Downes, Aribo and Smallbone.  Wee Man and Che (just) to complete the front 3 with Brooks. 

• Like 1

My only ever experience of these lions resemble something like this. I expect Russell and the boys to make this happen to them on the pitch, whilst the DEF take care of business off it.

87 best images about The Wizard of Oz : ) on Pinterest | Margaret ...

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, pimpin4rizeal said:

For me     

Baz

kwp.     Thb. Bed.   Stephens 

Downes arribo 

Brooks 

Arma.         Mara.     Fraser 

just cannot bring myself to hope for che up front, that moment in the second half where he miscontrolled the ball slipped over and in doing so blocked arribo from shooting was just che in a nutshell 😆 the guy is just a disaster in the box, yes he can hold the ball up better then Mara but I don’t think it’s worth the trade off..

the other tempting option is maybe to go with a midfield trio of downes smallbone and aribo with brooks on the right instead .. this one probably gives us our most solid midfield possible think aribo still provides some creativity too  Aribo for me is a absolute must start at the moment looks to have a bit of everything and could be just as important as downes imo 

Also prefer Mara to Che and like someone said, AA has been pretty poor recently, so I'd like one of the Sams to take his place but accept that won't happen. 

This needs to be an emphatic win…it certainly should be, but something tells me a wheel has come off somewhere. Can’t see Manning being replaced, so if their RW forwards are half decent they’ll suss out that we’re weak down that side and capitalise. If Russ is really on his game and gets the starting selection right, we’ll win but it’ll be tough against another load of cloggers.

1-0 Saints. COYR!

Very comfortable win with this team:

Baz

KWP.      Bednarek    Bellis.      ?

Downes.       Aribo

Brooks.           S Armstrong.       Fraser

C. Adam’s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sarisbury Saint said:

Very comfortable win with this team:

Baz

KWP.      Bednarek    Bellis.      ?