Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread

ErwinK1961

Just now, FarehamSaintJames said:

Will Smallbone as a holding mid fills me with little to no confidence in the centre. 😂

What does he have to do to get dropped? 

Who would you play in that position without Downes?

• Like 1

If Downes isn't completely fit it's best not to risk him until he is. Aribo, provided he shows the same effort as he did against Hull is an improvement especially physically. The bench looks strong and it's good to see Bree back. It'll be interesting how Brooks plays from the start and if it helps Adams. I personally think Fraser is a better starter.

• Like 1

At least no Manning or Rothwell, but Hypo, we don't have any defensive midfielders!

Perhaps swap Armstrongs at half time as  A has been looking weary and S hasn't been up to 90 minutes for ages.

If Mara gets on I hope he shows a sight more effort than midweek.

2 hours ago, Toussaint said:

Just drove past central station, thousands of Burberry clad yobbos marching up the hill, police everywhere and sirens already going off.

Fucking Saints fans! 😁

Reasonable line up. Changes we wanted to see after that last line up anyway.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, captainchris said:

Not quite sure why Charles is so detested by RM…. 

Cos he's sloppy with the ball I'd guess. Smallbone is limited but less wasteful. Aribo will sit I'd imagine and give us some much needed muscle in there. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, captainchris said:

Not quite sure why Charles is so detested by RM…. 

Probably because he reads it on here. There would be much gnashing of teeth by some here if Charles had been picked. Need to face it that with Downes out no one is satisfied. To be fair Charles still makes a lot of mistakes, down to, in my opinion,  a big loss of confidence early in the season, he will one day be a very good player but does need an extended run in the team in his proper position (CM). 

In a bar in Thailand seeing if they can get the game on one of the screens.

Which they won't, because it's a 'Buddha Day' today, meaning all the bars are shut. And there's no alcohol sales. Meaning that the plain, very large thermos mug I have sitting next to me certainly doesn't contain ice-cold beer. Honest officer.

Figment of my imagination it all is.

The 3-0 kicking we're about to dish out isn't though. Happy with the line up.

COYS.

It always sounds dramatic to talk about a "must-win games"  but this is a really important match for several reasons, 

....not least because after Leeds win last night there is a yawning gap opening up for the top two sides that  just one win won't bridge quickly.

We need to get back to the formula that got us convincing results.  Millwall are floating amongst " the dead men"  at the bottom, and our recent 

performances against the likes of Rotherham and Huddersfield  left a lot to be desired, and we must get back to " promotion form " and PDQ.    

9 minutes ago, VectisSaint said:

Probably because he reads it on here. There would be much gnashing of teeth by some here if Charles had been picked. Need to face it that with Downes out no one is satisfied. To be fair Charles still makes a lot of mistakes, down to, in my opinion,  a big loss of confidence early in the season, he will one day be a very good player but does need an extended run in the team in his proper position (CM). 

Charles is the least worst option if Downes can't play. No one can seriously suggest otherwise. 

12 minutes ago, suewhistle said:

At least no Manning or Rothwell, but Hypo, we don't have any defensive midfielders!

Perhaps swap Armstrongs at half time as  A has been looking weary and S hasn't been up to 90 minutes for ages.

If Mara gets on I hope he shows a sight more effort than midweek.

Charles. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hypochondriac said:

Charles is the least worst option if Downes can't play. No one can seriously suggest otherwise. 

I think anyone who's seen enough of Charles can, and should, suggest otherwise. You can champion his cause all you want but the lad just ain't good enough, yet. 

• Haha 1

It’s an attacking line up for sure. Can see KWP being encouraged to push push and us to revert to a three at the back. 

IF KWP does what he does - driving with the ball- both RF & DB might get some passes in dangerous areas - Che please just score when it rebounds out to you from 3 yards. 😁

Just now, gio1saints said:

It’s an attacking line up for sure. Can see KWP being encouraged to push push and us to revert to a three at the back. 

IF KWP does what he does - driving with the ball- both RF & DB might get some passes in dangerous areas - Che please just score when it rebounds out to you from 3 yards. 😁

Obafemi revenge hatrick incoming 

Martin wen at Swansea and Ralph hanging him out at saints 

14 minutes ago, david in sweden said:

It always sounds dramatic to talk about a "must-win games"  but this is a really important match for several reasons, 

....not least because after Leeds win last night there is a yawning gap opening up for the top two sides that  just one win won't bridge quickly.

We need to get back to the formula that got us convincing results.  Millwall are floating amongst " the dead men"  at the bottom, and our recent 

performances against the likes of Rotherham and Huddersfield  left a lot to be desired, and we must get back to " promotion form " and PDQ.    

thought we were good at rotherham 

2 minutes ago, FarehamSaintJames said:

Imagine if we played 4-3-3 with an attacking mid rather than a defensive one.

Leeds looked amazing with that style yesterday. Their pressing was relentless.

Leeds could and should have lost 4-1. Leicester battered them and they were not actually very good but got lucky with the offside goal that wasn't plus poor finishing from Leicester.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, egg said:

Cos he's sloppy with the ball I'd guess. Smallbone is limited but less wasteful. Aribo will sit I'd imagine and give us some much needed muscle in there

Yep, exactly what he did when he came on versus Hull. Reminded me of Romeu in his pomp.

3 minutes ago, saintant said:

Downes is in the training pictures from yesterday so can't be far off.

Russ said yesterday that he had been training for two full days but would be assessed before the game to see if he was ready. Slightly worrying that he doesn't even make the bench, which you'd have thought he might if he was "close" (to coin a phrase)

• Like 2

With AA dropped looks like RM had to shoehorn in Stephens at LB, hence Manning on the bench ( I can imagine that’s how Russ spun it to his mate). Thankfully I think Stephens can bluff his way through the game better than Manning.

Concerned about Downes to a degree…you’d think he’d be on the bench for some minutes if he was close. Now a start against Liverpool looks unlikely.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-2 Millwall - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic