Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread

goodymatt

Not long now until Saints finally play a game of football. We now have 10 games in 36 days, starting with Boro.

Big game for us to hopefully kick start a decent run in. We need to give ourselves an outside chance of the top 2 by picking up maximum points. Momentum going in to the playoffs would also be important. Boro won’t be a pushover.

KWP should be back having returned to training, hoping Fraser is close too. Play our best players in their best positions please Russ: Baz, KWP, THB, JB, Manning, Smallbone, Downes, Stu, Brooks, Che, Arma.

Hello everyone!

It is with great honour and pleasure that I announce my presence at Saint Mary's Stadium for next Friday's match against Middelbrough!

It will be a first for me to travel to England, and not to London, but to Southampton!

I'll be there for 3 days until Sunday!

I hope I'll get the chance to meet some of you around Saint Mary's.

I'd be delighted to exchange a few words with you (in imperfect English haha)!

• Like 36

40 minutes ago, Tommy Mulgrew said:

You did say “best players”, right?

I would pick Bree to be fair but don’t think Martin will. Is Stephens an option like we did against WBA away? Martin seems adamant to put him in the team now so maybe that’s the best use of him.

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Hello everyone!

It is with great honour and pleasure that I announce my presence at Saint Mary's Stadium for next Friday's match against Middelbrough!

It will be a first for me to travel to England, and not to London, but to Southampton!

I'll be there for 3 days until Sunday!

What block is your ticket in? We normally get in the ground for a beer before kick off so if you're in the Kingsland stand let me know.

Your English will be a million times better than my French!

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, The Cat said:

What block is your ticket in? We normally get in the ground for a beer before kick off so if you're in the Kingsland stand let me know.

I don't know which stand I'll be in as I collect the tickets on the day of the match. 

However, I will be around Saint Mary's Stadium very early to welcome your players as they arrive by car at the Stadium.

I look forward to sharing a friendly moment with you all.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Cat said:

Is this the part where it turns out that Christophe has been MLG all this time!

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Lee On Solent Saint said:

Is this the part where it turns out that Christophe has been MLG all this time!

I have wondered if he was a troll but it's a pretty long-term effort for low reward if he is.

• Confused 1

7 hours ago, The Cat said:

I have wondered if he was a troll but it's a pretty long-term effort for low reward if he is.

Let me reassure you, I'm a real person and I've been preparing for this trip for several months.

I'm really pleased that it's coming up and I can't wait to get to know your club, your stadium, your city and maybe a few of you.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

Let me reassure you, I'm a real person and I've been preparing for this trip for several months.

I'm really pleased that it's coming up and I can't wait to get to know your club, your stadium, your city and maybe a few of you.

Love and light, or is this all you will say in the matter….. 

What insurance bets will you be placing at the weekend, and will you be attending church this Easter?

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

I'll be outside turnstile A. Ask one of the stewards for Keith and they'll know where to find me. 

Edited by hypochondriac
  • Haha 2

surely the important question is ; How will the long absence ( 20 days ) affect the team performances?

Will the lack of games during the long break taken the edge off their recent successes..  OR ..did we have a chance 

for .. " a sort of pre-season "  to rest and recuperate before the mammoth league programme that is upcoming in April?.

Several of our " main men "  have been away on international duty and will hopefully return uninjured, but the prospect that 

3 of our remaining 5 away games are against those teams above us in the league ..it will be vital to win all three.  

IF ..we finally gain automatic promotion, we can truly say that we will have deserved it, especially with the final game v. Leeds, 

which is a match I have seen as " a deal-breaker"  from the day that the match schedules were released last June.

More importantly failing to get wins in the home fixtures (against teams like Boro) may be our downfall if we drop any points.

Edited by david in sweden

3 hours ago, david in sweden said:

surely the important question is ; How will the long absence ( 20 days ) affect the team performances?

Will the lack of games during the long break taken the edge off their recent successes..  OR ..did we have a chance 

for .. " a sort of pre-season "  to rest and recuperate before the mammoth league programme that is upcoming in April?.

Several of our " main men "  have been away on international duty and will hopefully return uninjured, but the prospect that 

3 of our remaining 5 away games are against those teams above us in the league ..it will be vital to win all three.  

IF ..we finally gain automatic promotion, we can truly say that we will have deserved it, especially with the final game v. Leeds, 

which is a match I have seen as " a deal-breaker"  from the day that the match schedules were released last June.

More importantly failing to get wins in the home fixtures (against teams like Boro) may be our downfall if we drop any points.

Agree that how we respond to the lack of game time is key. We’ve been able to get KWP fit, hopefully Fraser not far behind and Downes you’d like to think is being managed to be able to play the season out. On the other hand, our possession style is all about ‘feeling’ according to Martin, have we lost that during this break?

Defensively we have been pretty poor since our undefeated streak ended so I’m going with the break being a good thing to work on and correct that glaring issue. It’s going to be an intense month or so, that’s for sure!

In the mid-80s I went to Ayresome Park during a tour of the north with Southampton Schoolboys.  We had a bit of a walk to the stadium so saw quite a bit of the surrounding area.

What a fucking absolute shithole.  It makes Northam look like Chilworth.  Actually felt sorry for the northerners for having to live there.  No wonder they’re all on the piss all the time.

KWP back, hopefully Bree for Manning, Fraser fit again.  As long as Russell doesn’t try his clever bollocks stuff we’ll fucking murder them.  I’m going for 4-1.  The glorious winning run to automatic promotion moves on.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Wade Garrett said:

In the mid-80s I went to Ayresome Park during a tour of the north with Southampton Schoolboys.  We had a bit of a walk to the stadium so saw quite a bit of the surrounding area.

What a fucking absolute shithole.  It makes Northam look like Chilworth.  Actually felt sorry for the northerners for having to live there.  No wonder they’re all on the piss all the time.

KWP back, hopefully Bree for Manning, Fraser fit again.  As long as Russell doesn’t try his clever bollocks stuff we’ll fucking murder them.  I’m going for 4-1.  The glorious winning run to automatic promotion moves on.

The area around the Riverside is quite nice (ish). The town centre is grey, miserable and dirty, and the people not much better.

The worst place I've ever been to in this country is Slough, but Middlesbrough is a very close second. Must be something to do with places that end in 'Ough'.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

The area around the Riverside is quite nice (ish). The town centre is grey, miserable and dirty, and the people not much better.

The worst place I've ever been to in this country is Slough, but Middlesbrough is a very close second. Must be something to do with places that end in 'Ough'.

Sounds very similar to Southamptonough 

1 hour ago, Pamplemousse said:

Both city centres could do with some investment but a short drive outside of Boro are some beautiful places to visit (similar to Southampton). I find the people in general more friendly than down here, on our last trip my son asked why do people keep talking to us....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pamplemousse said:

I think you may have been talking to a hippo.

2 hours ago, tttdcs said:

Both city centres could do with some investment but a short drive outside of Boro are some beautiful places to visit (similar to Southampton). I find the people in general more friendly than down here, on our last trip my son asked why do people keep talking to us....

That’s fucking bullshit you cunt 😉 

• Haha 4

10 hours ago, ChristopheVAFC said:

8 hours ago, hypochondriac said:

I'll be outside turnstile A. Ask one of the stewards for Keith and they'll know where to find me. 

Hypo looks exactly the same in real life as he does in his profile pic Christophe so you shouldn’t have too much trouble finding him. 😀

Edited by stknowle
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, goodymatt said:

Not long now until Saints finally play a game of football. We now have 10 games in 36 days, starting with Boro.

Big game for us to hopefully kick start a decent run in. We need to give ourselves an outside chance of the top 2 by picking up maximum points. Momentum going in to the playoffs would also be important. Boro won’t be a pushover.

KWP should be back having returned to training, hoping Fraser is close too. Play our best players in their best positions please Russ: Baz, KWP, THB, JB, Manning, Smallbone, Downes, Stu, Brooks, Che, Arma.

Rather play Aribo instead of Smallbone .....apart from that its spot on to be honest .

As  long as we get 3 points, not that bothered who he picks. Probably it will be an easier passage to Wembley if we finish 3rd instead on 4th. 

My bet is Russ will go with;

Manning

Manning Manning Manning Manning

Manning Manning Manning

Manning Stevens Manning

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Haha 6

5 hours ago, tttdcs said:

Oh yeah the people are very friendly. More a comment about just how miserable they all looked.

1 hour ago, Charlie Wayman said:

As  long as we get 3 points, not that bothered who he picks. Probably it will be an easier passage to Wembley if we finish 3rd instead on 4th. 

My bet is Russ will go with;

Manning

Manning Manning Manning Manning

Manning Manning Manning

Manning Stevens Manning

You're right, he will shoehorn Stevens in somewhere!

• Haha 1

Have a horrible feeling Russ has had too much time on his hands to overthink team selection and will go with something daft like Stephens at CB, HB at right back and KWP at LB. If he does we’ll lose…we don’t do breaks well generally.

• Like 2

As ever, a must win game that is impossible to call until we see the starting line up. Boro are not really in the hunt now IMO, as they need to make up 7 points in the last 8 games. Unlikely i would say, but they will probably still believe enough to give it a really good go.

What we need is a big comfortable win. Something like a 3-0 where we are never really troubled, in control and solid at the back. Hopefully we will have our best back 4 back, along with the best midfield combo. Thereafter it all takes care of itself, even if Fraser is not back.

10 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

Have a horrible feeling Russ has had too much time on his hands to overthink team selection and will go with something daft like Stephens at CB, HB at right back and KWP at LB. If he does we’ll lose…we don’t do breaks well generally.

Our results after international breaks this season have been the 1-4 against Leicester and the 2-1 win away at Hull.

Hopefully we see a repeat of the latter performance and outcome!

• Like 2

Unlucky for Boro but right now we should be mentally prepared for 10 cup finals. That could change into a playoff meander but at the moment wins are all that count.

Boro are a bit random but if we have our heads on straight we should win.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cabrone said:

we should be mentally prepared for 10 cup finals

Hopefully the fans respond in the same way, St Mary's atmosphere has been mostly disappointing. Sold out since last week (ticket exchange open) with home fans in the visitors section again but this doesn't really change things. Anything less than 3 points going into the Ipswich game 3 days later will be a right knock-back.

On 23/03/2024 at 19:24, ChristopheVAFC said:

Be careful organising meets at the football on the internet mush, the old bill will have you up on conspiracy charges and you'll be facing a 5year stretch

• Haha 2

On 24/03/2024 at 06:02, ChristopheVAFC said:

oh you're in for a real dissapointment Christophe. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, franniesTache said:

Be careful organising meets at the football on the internet mush, the old bill will have you up on conspiracy charges and you'll be facing a 5year stretch

I'm coming with a French friend who's been to your place several times before, and he knows the place really well, so it's going to go really well! 

Bazunu; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Bree; Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong; Brooks, AA, Adams.

That's my side but I'm certainly expecting Manning and Stephens to be in the starting 11. Players like Smallbone, Brooks, Bednarek, THB, Stu and Adams are all likely to be playing tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to see if RM goes for a slightly different side. 

Edited by Harry_SFC

Fraser back in training, wonder if he will make the bench for Friday or if that’s too soon? Either way we are going to need him for this run in, so good news he’s returned to training.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Harry_SFC said:

Bazunu; KWP, THB, Bednarek, Bree; Downes, Smallbone, Armstrong; Brooks, AA, Adams.

That's my side but I'm certainly expecting Manning and Stephens to be in the starting 11. Players like Smallbone, Brooks, Bednarek, THB, Stu and Adams are all likely to be playing tomorrow night, so it'll be interesting to see if RM goes for a slightly different side. 

We'll have a few players only returning from international duty on Thursday, not ideal preparation for a game on Friday, can definitely see Martin trying to be clever with one eye on the Ipswich game. 

6 of those players listed still have internationals to play this week. 

Edited by JRM

39 minutes ago, JRM said:

We'll have a few players only returning from international duty on Thursday, not ideal preparation for a game on Friday, can definitely see Martin trying to be clever with one eye on the Ipswich game. 

This is the problem Martin has. When we've veered away from our best 11 we've looked very disjointed and now we've probably got to win every game, we can't afford to be disjointed. On the other hand with a game every 3/4 days there's inevitably going to be some rotation. Hopefully he doesn't over do it.

39 minutes ago, JRM said:

The danger is that if he gets Middlesbro wrong, there won't be much to play for with the Ipswich game. He's absolutely got to put out his best team for Middlesbro, get much needed game time playing together after three weeks absence and hopefully keep the same team for Ipswich. They can play two games in four days.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

The danger is that if he gets Middlesbro wrong, there won't be much to play for with the Ipswich game. He's absolutely got to put out his best team for Middlesbro, get much needed game time playing together after three weeks absence and hopefully keep the same team for Ipswich. They can play two games in four days.

I agree with you, just saying some of these lads playing Tuesday night could pick up a knock, Wednesday travel day, training ground either Wednesday afternoon/ Thursday leaves very little prep time. 

Do Middlesbrough have any many away? 

On 24/03/2024 at 10:42, Pamplemousse said:

3 points is a must, nothing else will do.

Boro are a weird team. Beat Leicester home and away, beat us at home, but then lose games like to Bristol City and to Stoke.

Yep, not sure what to expect from Boro but they will pretty much know what to expect from Saints.

• Like 1

I’m concerned that Russ has now had 3 more weeks to work tactically on Captain Jack’s free role. Expect more marauding runs and nobody else having a fucking clue where to be 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jack said:

I’m concerned that Russ has now had 3 more weeks to work tactically on Captain Jack’s free role. Expect more marauding runs and nobody else having a fucking clue where to be 

You forgot the sad fuck ending of “Hope to be proven wrong” 

15 minutes ago, Oldandtired said:

Bednarek subbed after 78 v Wales . Doesn't look like an injury so potentially good news for us for Friday The way the game is going I was a bit worried he might be playing 120 minutes.

Been watching it on S4C with Welsh commentary. Makes more sense than Sam Matterface tbf.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Friday 3pm
  • Lighthouse changed the title to Saints 1-1 Boro - Match Thread
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic