Automatic promotion chances...

Saint86

It was over in Feb if we're honest. Impossible to win every remaining game, we gave ourselves no margin for error because of that run during Feb. That's what did it for us.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 5

Can’t look it at in any other way than preventing the pain at a later point

This group of players was never doing a must-win at Elland Road, or even probably Leicester before that

All I’m hoping for now is Ipswich to somehow be the one to finish 3rd

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Can’t look it at in any other way than preventing the pain at a later point

This group of players was never doing a must-win at Elland Road, or even probably Leicester before that

All I’m hoping for now is Ipswich to somehow be the one to finish 3rd

Feels a bit of a discredit to Ipswich, they'll be as difficult as any of the 3. We aren't beating any of them in a final, let's be honest.

• Like 5

4 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Waiting for a Middlesborough win over Leeds to bring the corpse back to life fora day.

Will make fuck all difference apart from harming Leeds own automatic promotion prospects.

It would not help us at all.

6 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Feels a bit of a discredit to Ipswich, they'll be as difficult as any of the 3. We aren't beating any of them in a final, let's be honest.

Obviously going to be discrediting somebody as they’re all above us, but I think they’re comfortably the most beatable 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, CB Fry said:

Will make fuck all difference apart from harming Leeds own automatic promotion prospects.

It would not help us at all.

Well it would put coming ahead of Leeds back in our hands. Ipswich's margin for error has just increased, they can afford to lose 1.

Just now, Baird of the land said:

Well it would put coming ahead of Leeds back in our hands. Ipswich's margin for error has just increased, they can afford to lose 1.

Why does that matter? Couldn't care less if we finish 3rd or 4th, either WBA or Norwich will be equally as hard - but either way, 3rd or 4th, we're at home 2nd leg.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

Why does that matter? Couldn't care less if we finish 3rd or 4th, either WBA or Norwich will be equally as hard - but either way, 3rd or 4th, we're at home 2nd leg.

My point was if both leeds & Ipswich drops points the corpse revives ( both need to get 2 wins from 3 don't they) in the unlikely scenario of us winning 3?

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

If Ipswich are in the playoffs they might loose to Norwich in their semi... 

[clutches at straws]

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Baird of the land said:

Thanks for confirming it makes fuck all difference.

Third or fourth place is utterly irrelevant.

2 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Obviously going to be discrediting somebody as they’re all above us, but I think they’re comfortably the most beatable 

That’s why they’ve beaten us twice this season 🤷🏻‍♂️

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Baird of the land said:

My point was if both leeds & Ipswich drops points the corpse revives ( both need to get 2 wins from 3 don't they) in the unlikely scenario of us winning 3?

Don’t put yourself through it, honestly, we’re done.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Patches O Houlihan said:

If Ipswich are in the playoffs they might loose to Norwich in their semi... 

[clutches at straws]

It’s not really clutching at straws, I’d say that’s by far the best scenario for us. An East Anglian derby with the winner to play us or WBA in the final.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Saint Gifford said:

Bring on any team in the playoffs. We have the quality, just unfortunately the elephant in the room is RM. 

Just don’t think he has the skill set to navigate the playoffs.

If I recall correctly he was promoted twice as a player; once through autos and once in the playoffs. That might help.

But he would need to recognise the importance of a suitably robust midfield even during the last 25 mins of a match.

We were never ever going up with RM in charge. It is very clear he is a fool to himself. No plan B, second half always crap. Subs useless and reactive. We will never go up with this man in charge. Hopefully now JW has gone we will get a new manager and new direction in the summer.

7 hours ago, Saint Matty 76 said:

Can you read

Well yes, you’ve clearly stated you want Ipswich to finish 3rd because you consider them the most beatable, despite the fact they’ve done the double on us this season. Surely Leeds who we won against at St Mary’s are the most beatable no?

Dream scenario now.

Ipswich finish third and we finish fourth.

I back us to beat West Brom over two legs, and I back Norwich to beat Ipswich over two legs.

I also back us to beat Norwich. Twice this season we just didn’t take chances against them, that’s all.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Saint Gifford said:

Bring on any team in the playoffs. We have the quality, just unfortunately the elephant in the room is RM. 

Just don’t think he has the skill set to navigate the playoffs.

The only skillset needed is knowing how to win. Which we've done more than 20 other teams in the division...

3 hours ago, bpsaint said:

Well yes, you’ve clearly stated you want Ipswich to finish 3rd because you consider them the most beatable, despite the fact they’ve done the double on us this season. Surely Leeds who we won against at St Mary’s are the most beatable no?

The most beatable team is the one we’re most likely to beat, not the one we have beaten in the past. For 65 minutes at Portman Road we were more than capable of comfortably beating Ipswich. On another day we win that by two or three goals.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

The most beatable team is the one we’re most likely to beat, not the one we have beaten in the past. For 65 minutes at Portman Road we were more than capable of comfortably beating Ipswich. On another day we win that by two or three goals.

But we still lost, McKenna tactically got the better of Martin at St. Mary's and he identified his teams problems to swing the tie in their favour at Portman Road. They were the better team once he made his subs and changed his system. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, east-stand-nic said:

We were never ever going up with RM in charge. It is very clear he is a fool to himself. No plan B, second half always crap. Subs useless and reactive. We will never go up with this man in charge. Hopefully now JW has gone we will get a new manager and new direction in the summer.

That's the good news.

The bad news is Rasmus "If it's not broken, break it" Ankersen is still very much with us, and I believe very much in control of major decisions, albeit less openly after his disastrous ones last season.

15 hours ago, Dark Munster said:

That's the good news.

The bad news is Rasmus "If it's not broken, break it" Ankersen is still very much with us, and I believe very much in control of major decisions, albeit less openly after his disastrous ones last season.

That is the thing, the very root of situation we find ourselves in, all roads lead to Rasmus. 

• Like 1

I have not read this on here so I do not know whether many posters will know: The Times interviewed Duncan last week and used his responses in an article on the pros and cons of promotion for teams like us, Norwich, WBA, Leeds, etc.  It did not really cover much new ground that has not been seen in a few threads on here.  When asked whether he wanted Saints to be promoted, Duncan gave the only logical answer: yes but he would not cry if we were not.  The article appeared in the Sports section of the newspaper on Saturday.  Paywall for those looking online.

Never fear.  We will win the next three. Leeds lose to Boro away and Ipswich lose their two tough away games having not won since Noreich pasted them. We finish second and all is well that ends well.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, chownie20 said:

Never fear.  We will win the next three. Leeds lose to Boro away and Ipswich lose their two tough away games having not won since Noreich pasted them. We finish second and all is well that ends well.

Please don’t. It’s the hope that kills you.

21 hours ago, trousers said:

After watching Coventry lose out to a flawed VAR system, I'm suddenly feeling much more relaxed about us not being promoted. You can stick the PL up your arse! 

Which is strange because many people seem to think a pretty close fourth place is some sort of unforgivable underperformance and that the manage should be sacked. If people didn’t like this season, I dread to think how they’ll react to becoming the next Swansea, Stoke or Cardiff.

21 hours ago, trousers said:

After watching Coventry lose out to a flawed VAR system, I'm suddenly feeling much more relaxed about us not being promoted. You can stick the PL up your arse! 

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

Which is strange because many people seem to think a pretty close fourth place is some sort of unforgivable underperformance and that the manage should be sacked. If people didn’t like this season, I dread to think how they’ll react to becoming the next Swansea, Stoke or Cardiff.

Is there a tongue-in-cheek emoji that I can use on future posts of this ilk...? ;)

Am blaming our failure on the severe lack of sexy nuns this year.

They were our staple get out of jail during match days over the seasons but this year have been absent when we've really needed them.

Edited by Convict Colony
  • Like 1

Leeds lose tonight we win tomorrow and we're only two points off autos. Ipswich have two really hard away games to come. We beat Stoke and we go above them! Leicester lose to us, lose to Preston and then host Blackburn who might still need a win and they already won 2-0 against Leeds recently. Leeds lose tonight and away at QPR then we can seal the title at Elland Road!!  Come on believe!! 

They said man would never walk on the moon

they said man would never climb everest

they said there would never a man who could give birth to a child

they said a man could never have a cervix

they were wrong.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lighthouse said:

The fear we’ll become in a season or two the next Swansea, Stoke or Cardiff is why so many of us are pissed off with this nonentity mid table manager appointment. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, chownie20 said:

Ermmm so....

Let's hope for an East Anglian Derby in the playoff semi final I think....

Looks like the Hull and Coventry vs Ipswich matches might be dead rubbers...that might help Ipswich and mean maybe Leeds are more likely to be in the playoffs. 

I'd much prefer an Ipswich Norwich semi final, but guess there are no easy wins and you have to be able to beat whoever you come up against.... plus we beat Leeds already!

Automatics are still on as long as Leicester, Ipswich and Leeds lose their remaining games and we win ours and manage to overturn a 20 goal deficit.

Believe.  

• Haha 2

Doesn't feel like we have a team who can go out and win a final at Wembley when the pressure is on.

Not convinced we have a team that can go out and win at The Hawthorns when the pressure is on, quite frankly.

Edited by CB Fry
I fucking know we have won there this season. The play offs are different though.
  • Like 1