Automatic promotion chances...

Saint86

33 minutes ago, Maggie May said:

Spot on. Martin has achieved what exactly I predicted at the start of the season, and I’m sure most fans would’ve bitten their hands off for a playoff place.  I just want the players to go into the run in thinking they can win every game. RM has to instil that into them. 

It's his job to do that, but how can he or any manager get Chez or the other players for that matter put the ball in the net from the chances they create. The players have to do their job too.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tom & Gerry said:

It's his job to do that, but how can he or any manager get Chez or the other players for that matter put the ball in the net from the chances they create. The players have to do their job too.

Mentality goes a long way.

2 hours ago, Maggie May said:

Spot on. Martin has achieved what exactly I predicted at the start of the season, and I’m sure most fans would’ve bitten their hands off for a playoff place.  I just want the players to go into the run in thinking they can win every game. RM has to instil that into them. 

What, given the massive money advantage the playoffs were the bare minimum of expectation.

Edited by Baird of the land
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, pingpong said:

We play 3 times before Ipswich's next game.  Win a couple of them and we will be in striking distance...

It's actually 4 times before Ipswich play next as they are the late game on the Saturday (8pm kick off) 

Crazy really.

13 minutes ago, Saint NL said:

It's actually 4 times before Ipswich play next as they are the late game on the Saturday (8pm kick off) 

Crazy really.

Somewhat bizarre indeed... Means we could be 4 points ahead of them before they next play... albeit having played 2 games more... Would certainly change the physiological balance of power though...

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

Ok, I'll admit, I was out getting drunk in Reading all day and what little sport I acknowledged was the GN of which I only placed. 

Anywhoooo the football passed me by. So how surprised I am to get in, bang on the highlights and watch Leeds and Ipswich falter again and we somehow muster a last ditch winner. 

I'll say it again, only with less confidence than previously, we aren't getting autos... BUT... it is typical Saints to have us being strung along for a while yet! 😁

If we beat Preston Cardiff and Stoke and draw with Leicester we end up on 91 points, Ipswich draw their two games against Hull and Coventry they're on 91 points, Leicester draw with us, WBA and Preston they're on 91 points, Leeds draw with Boro and beat QPR they're on 91 points. 

All 4 teams heading into an epic final day on 91 points. 

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Saint_clark said:

If we beat Preston Cardiff and Stoke and draw with Leicester we end up on 91 points, Ipswich draw their two games against Hull and Coventry they're on 91 points, Leicester draw with us, WBA and Preston they're on 91 points, Leeds draw with Boro and beat QPR they're on 91 points. 

if we have a chance of promotion on the last day, I'd be very happy with that. Can't see it, as we will drop points somewhere, but what a game at Leeds that would be. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint_clark said:

If the thought of that scenario doesn't give the head of Sky Sports an orgasm then I don't know what will... (Apologies for the mental imagery there)

Screenshot_20240414-100914.png

Edited by trousers
  • Haha 2

To my mind, even if we miss out on automatic promotion (which is likely), it’s greatly to our advantage in the play offs that the possibility of a top two slot remains.

I was rather worried that we’d have the equivalent of 5 or 6 irrelevant pre-season friendlies because it was 99.9% certain we’d end in 4th place. We would therefore take our foot off the gas and enter the play offs with zero momentum.

That worry no longer pertains.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

On 13/04/2024 at 08:58, Jack said:

If we win all 6 then I’d say there’s a decent chance. 

There’s almost zero chance we’re going to win all 6

Probably not plus it would actually be a seven match winning streak because we've won our last 2 and have 5 to play.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, saintant said:

Probably not plus it would actually be a seven match winning streak because we've won our last 2 and have 5 to play.

Didn't Russ win his last 9 games out of 11 or something like that with Swansea last year... I mean he has done It before. 😉

On 13/04/2024 at 09:37, Baird of the land said:

What, given the massive money advantage the playoffs were the bare minimum of expectation.

I don’t think so. We were so bad last season I feared it would, confidence-wise, have a knock on for this one. We lost to Grimsby with a superior set of players on paper, remember? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Maggie May said:

I don’t think so. We were so bad last season I feared it would, confidence-wise, have a knock on for this one. We lost to Grimsby with a superior set of players on paper, remember? 

The club thinks so

• Like 1

On 13/04/2024 at 23:26, sfc4prem said:

I mean, we've won two on the bounce. Can we put together a ridiculous winning run? We're a bit sloppy in defence sometimes, so it'll be tricky...

somewhat of an understatement...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just for comparison, we are ahead on points from where we were after 41 games in 2011/12. Not by many, just a couple - we had 79 points after 41 games back then.

We did manage to snatch 2nd on only 88 points though, no one got over 90 pts that year. So I reckon we can bet on us beating our 2011/12 points total for sure, but the others are all going to be in the 90's as well. Looking at the games remaining for everyone I think a fair guess is that 95/96 points will get you into the Top 2 places, anything less than that and it's playoffs.

For us to get 95/96 points we need to win every game, just shows how impossible it really is. Even a single draw will stop us hitting those point tallies.

23 minutes ago, farawaysaint said:

At best I would say we have a 10% chance of auto. It's not impossible but it is very unlikely. 

Common sense and years of experience says zero chance simply because Saints have to play both Leicester and Leeds on their home turves. No way will they beat both of those sides who are just as desperate as Saints to return to the PL. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Common sense and years of experience says zero chance simply because Saints have to play both Leicester and Leeds on their home turves. No way will they beat both of those sides who are just as desperate as Saints to return to the PL. 

I'd argue with the financial implications for both Leeds and Leicester it's probably safe to say they're both more desperate than us to be honest

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, franniesTache said:

I'd argue with the financial implications for both Leeds and Leicester it's probably safe to say they're both more desperate than us to be honest

So they'll more likely to feel even more pressure. I mean Leicester are SOO f**ked if they don't go up.

I still think we are kidding ourselves on automatic promotion it not only relies on us winning all remaining games but hoping others have a major wobble! Wether this team have achieved top two is debatable? Part of me thinks we should have as on paper we have a decent team at this level but football isn't like that. 

It would be hugely satisfying to go up through the playoffs but I don't think we have anywhere near the bottle for that either and we are still conceding a crazy amount of goals lately.  

It may be a long shot, but if we win tomorrow and Leicester don't beat WBA, promotion is in our own hands. If we win all 4 remaining games neither Leeds or Leicester could finish above us.

Saints 96

Leicester maximum of 95

Leeds Maximum of 93

Can't see us beating both Leicester and Leeds away but you never know....

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, millsy said:

It may be a long shot, but if we win tomorrow and Leicester don't beat WBA, promotion is in our own hands. If we win all 4 remaining games neither Leeds or Leicester could finish above us.

Saints 96

Leicester maximum of 95

Leeds Maximum of 93

This is the thing: you never know.

9 minutes ago, millsy said:

Saints 96

Leicester maximum of 95

Leeds Maximum of 93

Promotion being in our own hands would be a massive power shift at this stage of the season. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

I don’t think home is a massive advantage at this stage, the pressure can be huge and if the fans get nervous it can negatively impact the players. Contenders in the top two divisions are starting to choke under that huge pressure and expectation. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr X said:

I still think we are kidding ourselves on automatic promotion it not only relies on us winning all remaining games but hoping others have a major wobble! Wether this team have achieved top two is debatable? Part of me thinks we should have as on paper we have a decent team at this level but football isn't like that. 

It would be hugely satisfying to go up through the playoffs but I don't think we have anywhere near the bottle for that either and we are still conceding a crazy amount of goals lately.  

It’s a little bit closer than that. If we can win all our games, we don’t need a major wobble outside our control now, only one result from Leicester OR Ipswich would be enough.

I can't see us beating both Leicester and Leeds so it's not going to be enough, however if we can at least maintain some decent form, it should get us set for the playoffs. Gotta hope we win the lottery. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Micky said:

I can't see us beating both Leicester and Leeds so it's not going to be enough, however if we can at least maintain some decent form, it should get us set for the playoffs. Gotta hope we win the lottery. 

in recent weeks Middlebrough, Bristol City, Millwall, Plymouth and QPR have all beaten Leicester.

Leeds have taken 5 points from the last 15 available.

• Like 3

On 15/04/2024 at 14:27, SaintsFan86 said:

Imagine.  

Looking at the final day, I think Ipswich and Leicester will win, so let’s hope it’s a little better than this when travelling to Leeds. 

• Like 1

The so called richest game in football could come a few weeks early. Winner takes all. Has that happened before in the championship? I remember watching the Liverpool arsenal Micky Thomas game all those years ago. Unbelievable tension.

Imagine the last few minutes of Leeds vs saints if we are drawing and because of the results/scores related Ipswich and Leicester, either team will be promoted if they win. End to end carnage. 

• Like 1