Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Master tactician rests players, tells the remainder not to worry about this match and finetunes a fired-up squad to hit the ground running for the play-offs?

Would be a very optimistic way of viewing that momentum-sapping debacle.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Can someone tell me how we managed to win away at WBA? I seem to recall they had one or two brilliant chances that they didn't take and we scored ours. So perhaps the game could have gone another way on a different day?  That game seems like a real outlier - winning away, at one of the decent sides, not conceding, controlling the game and us seeing the game out calmly. How on earth did that happen?

I have to be honest. That win is the only thing that gives me any confidence that we can win the play-offs. So was it a performance that can be repeated? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr X said:

TBF he is good enough to keep us in this division but certainly not good enough to get us out of it (in an upwards direction) and would have to be replaced immediately in the premier league. 

Which begs the question what is our ambition? To be a mid table championship side or get back to the promised land? 

The list of these clubs go on and on. You have to throw caution to the wind when in the position we have found ourselves in this season. It seems like Leicester and Leeds will do this as Burnley did the season before. Or you will end up like loads of other ex premier league teams in the championship and worse. 

Blackburn, Stoke, Boro, Sunderland, Swansea, Watford, Hull, Birmingham, Huddersfield… 

You can only hope if we do not magically go up in the playoffs we end up more like the Norwich and WBA of the world and manage to hang around the play off places. But this season was always going to be the best chance we have/had. 

Edited by Dr Who?
Missed Sunderland
  • Like 4

6 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can someone tell me how we managed to win away at WBA? I seem to recall they had one or two brilliant chances that they didn't take and we scored ours. So perhaps the game could have gone another way on a different day?  That game seems like a real outlier - winning away, at one of the decent sides, not conceding, controlling the game and us seeing the game out calmly. How on earth did that happen?

I have to be honest. That win is the only thing that gives me any confidence that we can win the play-offs. So was it a performance that can be repeated? 

They had a couple of mega chances, I remember Stephens clearing at least one of theirs from under the bar. It looks like a total anomonly though, I think we were somewhat fortunate that WBA were pretty poor on the night and we just controlled it.

WBA didn't have the pace or power to really harm us on the break, they're very much a workman like side in my eyes. The teams who inflict the most damage are the ones who press us aggressively, expose the gaps between our lines on transition, the quick/pacey players. Mavadidi, Fatawu had a field day last night. Leeds will have a field day. Huddersfield with Sorba Thomas had a field day against us. Hull with Philogene and Carvaliho had a field day. Hutchinson and Chaplin for Ipswich similar, after about an hour.

Edited by S-Clarke
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Weren’t they denied a decent penalty shout also?

7 minutes ago, S-Clarke said:

They had a couple of mega chances, I remember Stephens clearing at least one of theirs from under the bar. It looks like a total anomonly though, I think we were somewhat fortunate that WBA were pretty poor on the night and we just controlled it.

WBA didn't have the pace or power to really harm us on the break, they're very much a workman like side in my eyes. The teams who inflict the most damage are the ones who press us aggressively, expose the gaps between our lines on transition, the quick/pacey players. Mavadidi, Fatawu had a field day last night. Leeds will have a field day. Huddersfield with Sorba Thomas had a field day against us. Hull with Philogene and Carvaliho had a field day. Hutchinson and Chaplin for Ipswich similar, after about an hour.

Did WBA sit back and not press? I'm amazed when teams do that.

We are quite good really, but very inconsistent and lightweight. We should also be taking this season to the wire with Leeds and Leicester. Ipswich are surprise package really. But Leeds fans will also be pretty livid if they do not go up in the automatic places. It’s out of their hands still. 

8 minutes ago, Chez said:

Did WBA sit back and not press? I'm amazed when teams do that.

I seem to remember them being quite passive for periods of that game, which played into our hands a bit. We did get a way with a couple of moments, but I don't remember ever being under the cosh.

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

Defensively we were good apart from a couple of decent chances, remember Stephens clearing one off the line and Bazunu making a really good stop.

Then we got a second goal in the second half and didn't tail off after 60 mins as we have been doing. That second goal killed the game off.

From an attacking point of view it wasn't the best we've played but we were clinical.

It was a very professional display away from home, especially as it was 3 days after the Bristol City horror show, and I thought after that we'd push on and cement a top two place.

Edited by Pamplemousse

6 minutes ago, Dr Who? said:

We are quite good really, but very inconsistent and lightweight. We should also be taking this season to the wire with Leeds and Leicester. Ipswich are surprise package really. But Leeds fans will also be pretty livid if they do not go up in the automatic places. It’s out of their hands still. 

Big game for Leeds on Friday, if they beat QPR then Ipswich will have a ton of pressure on them with 2 games in hand. It's not quite the same chasing when you have games in hand, I found it a massive disadvantage. 

The two games in hand for Ipswich at that point will be away at Cov and away at Hull. If I were an Ipswich fan I'd be hoping for a QPR shock on Friday, otherwise they likely go into the final game behind or even out of the equation.

• Like 1

Iam surprised that we have not blooded some of the Acadamy players for a few minute cameos, just to make them feel that there is a future. Concerned they may move on if the pathway is not seen to be there

• Like 6

8 minutes ago, OldNick said:

Iam surprised that we have not blooded some of the Acadamy players for a few minute cameos, just to make them feel that there is a future. Concerned they may move on if the pathway is not seen to be there

Indeed. Most people probably thought when we got relegated from the PL: "at least it'll give our academy/U21 players more opportunities " ...but, if anything, they've had less opportunities in the Championship....

Edited by trousers
  • Like 2

I thought that game last night was appalling. The manager selected a poor team for a start. McCarthy, Rothwell and Brooks don't fit in. Secondly as Leicester were a counterattacking team with two good wide men and a decent striker plus Dewsberry-Hall we had to have a plan to protect against breakaways, we didn't. Our possession statistics are a nonsense. 68% with probably 60% around our own penalty area. Not only that it was pedestrian with no pass and move. We gave the ball to Leicester on numerous occasions.

We couldn't even play long. With Brooks wide we were very light. Personally I thought of the players available Armstrong, Adams and Fraser up front. Smallbone, Charles and Aribo. Then we come to the back four. I prefer Bree at left back and KWP on the right with THW and Bednarek. Give Lumley a go in goal.

The fullbacks when we conceded the goals were KWP and Manning both poor defenders and incapable of closing down and even more so with the Kamikaze tendency to both get so far up the pitch they are incapable of getting back. Last night four Leicester breaking THB and Bednarek on their own and Aribo lacking the pace to keep up with both fullbacks well behind another simple goal. We had to play a proper back four and a compact midfield and play on the break. Martin made no sense in the interview because he was in denial. He must think people are stupid.

We need two results now, beat Stoke and a narrow defeat to Leeds so that we can get both Leicester and Leeds out of the playoffs.

Edited by derry
  • Like 4

Hello Saints fans, Foxes fan here.

Not here to rub any noses about last night, but more to talk about your managers assessment of the game.

I was somewhat taken back by his post match comments. It reminded me of the delusional tripe that we have had from Maresca on many occasions this season.

For us you wouldn't believe that a side that's got 94 PTS,  30 wins and over 80 scored could attract so much criticism from it's own fans, but that's exactly what's happened at Leicester.

Now I recognise most fans winge and moan when things aren't going well but the criticism at Leicester was prominent even when we romping it earlier in the season.

Now I don't have enough evidence to judge the Saints totally, but from the outside you have looked a good outfit. Only the poor start has stopped you from being in the automatic spots. 

Quite clearly there was an hangover last.night from the disappointment of Cardiff.  If the Saints had got the 3pts that for the vast majority of the game you dominated and deserved to do so, then last night would probably have been a totally different scenario.

The fact is though the team didn't compete for most of the game, and it doesn't need me to patronise anyone on here by saying differently.

Us football fans recognise a poor performance when they see one, and last night the team/manager let down particularly the travelling fans.

As a person who has covered many miles following the Foxes and watching some abject rubbish from time to time, the one thing you can't forgive when you sacrifice so much to be there, is your team  not putting a proper shift in.

When RM was interviewed I was astonished by his assessment. I wasn't expecting any gushing praise of us, but when your team has underperformed then as a fan you want your manager to be honest.

Maresca has done exactly the same. Our fans have been tearing their hair out all season with low tempo backwards and sideways football. At times it's been downright boring and difficult for the fans to get enthusiastic about.

We have been absolute dross in recent defeats to Bristol, Millwall and Plymouth. Yet Maresca has been interviewed and spoken about a totally different game to what the rest of us as just witnessed . Maybe RM would have reacted differently if he hadn't been interviewed straight after the game, I don't know ? Even the pundits seemed bemused by his interview.

I read a lot of negativity on here but I hope you can do the job in the playoffs. it might be good to rest a couple of key players and then  be fit and ready for the task ahead.

Whoever misses out on the auto spots will find it hard to get momentum going again. I think you are better than Norwich and WBA, but beware of our local rivals Coventry if they make top 6. They could be a dark horse.

Anyway I would love to see you at Wembley and I genuinely think Southampton are a great club. I hope the next time we play it's a Premier League fixture.

All the best for the rest of the season.

• Like 22
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

61 goals conceded. Worse than 13 other teams in the Championship. The side in 18th position has conceded less than us.

Despite last nights thrashing, the loss at Cardiff has angered me more. I applaud those fans that went to both those games👏

Lets  imagine we get promoted, we are going to need, 6/7 new players, minimum. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

I think we have a good enough team to not have let in over 60 goals. A team at this level with players such as THB, Bednarek, KWP, Downes should not be conceding over 60 goals in this league, not even close.

If we didn't concede as many goals, and maybe scored 10 or so less, we'd be right up there - maybe even needing a win against Stoke to confirm promotion. We were good enough to be there and that's why this season will always leave a horrible sense of 'what could have been' behind. I'll never look back on it with any fond memories, it's a wasted opportunity.

Excellent post.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Hello Saints fans, Foxes fan here.

Not here to rub any noses about last night, but more to talk about your managers assessment of the game.

I was somewhat taken back by his post match comments. It reminded me of the delusional tripe that we have had from Maresca on many occasions this season.

For us you wouldn't believe that a side that's got 94 PTS,  30 wins and over 80 scored could attract so much criticism from it's own fans, but that's exactly what's happened at Leicester.

Now I recognise most fans winge and moan when things aren't going well but the criticism at Leicester was prominent even when we romping it earlier in the season.

Now I don't have enough evidence to judge the Saints totally, but from the outside you have looked a good outfit. Only the poor start has stopped you from being in the automatic spots. 

Quite clearly there was an hangover last.night from the disappointment of Cardiff.  If the Saints had got the 3pts that for the vast majority of the game you dominated and deserved to do so, then last night would probably have been a totally different scenario.

The fact is though the team didn't compete for most of the game, and it doesn't need me to patronise anyone on here by saying differently.

Us football fans recognise a poor performance when they see one, and last night the team/manager let down particularly the travelling fans.

As a person who has covered many miles following the Foxes and watching some abject rubbish from time to time, the one thing you can't forgive when you sacrifice so much to be there, is your team  not putting a proper shift in.

When RM was interviewed I was astonished by his assessment. I wasn't expecting any gushing praise of us, but when your team has underperformed then as a fan you want your manager to be honest.

Maresca has done exactly the same. Our fans have been tearing their hair out all season with low tempo backwards and sideways football. At times it's been downright boring and difficult for the fans to get enthusiastic about.

We have been absolute dross in recent defeats to Bristol, Millwall and Plymouth. Yet Maresca has been interviewed and spoken about a totally different game to what the rest of us as just witnessed . Maybe RM would have reacted differently if he hadn't been interviewed straight after the game, I don't know ? Even the pundits seemed bemused by his interview.

I read a lot of negativity on here but I hope you can do the job in the playoffs. it might be good to rest a couple of key players and then  be fit and ready for the task ahead.

Whoever misses out on the auto spots will find it hard to get momentum going again. I think you are better than Norwich and WBA, but beware of our local rivals Coventry if they make top 6. They could be a dark horse.

Anyway I would love to see you at Wembley and I genuinely think Southampton are a great club. I hope the next time we play it's a Premier League fixture.

Easy for you to say

Trounced us 9-0.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

I remember walking out the Kingpower last season talking to Leicester fan and he said they were going down but we'd be all right. If only....

Two concerns (among others) I have is the guff RM said after the match. Does he really think we were ok for 70 minutes because if so that delusion is troubling? And second, many of us were commenting positively on the team selection before the game yesterday and it didn't work. What/who else is there? Downes has to be fit soon and I'd like to see Edozie start.

And with regard to W. Brom, I recall they stood off us for much of the game. Teams won't be doing that in future.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Thereisonlyonemickychannon said:

Easy for you to say

Trounced us 9-0.

Freak game.

Every so often you get a bizarre result.

A few years back, Villa sticking 7 past Liverpool., Man United 8 against Arsenal.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Squirrel said:

Freak game.

Every so often you get a bizarre result.

A few years back, Villa sticking 7 past Liverpool., Man United 8 against Arsenal.

I recall we put 8 past Sunderland once.

As Jo Tessem said on Solent last night we simply have to get back to basics. That starts by having a solid base at the back. Since February we have conceded far too many goals, I think we've only kept three clean sheets since then. One thing that seriously has to improve is stopping crosses coming into our own box. We've conceded far too many from this happening recently. 

• Like 5

5 hours ago, S-Clarke said:

Big game for Leeds on Friday, if they beat QPR then Ipswich will have a ton of pressure on them with 2 games in hand. It's not quite the same chasing when you have games in hand, I found it a massive disadvantage. 

The two games in hand for Ipswich at that point will be away at Cov and away at Hull. If I were an Ipswich fan I'd be hoping for a QPR shock on Friday, otherwise they likely go into the final game behind or even out of the equation.

Much will depend on tonight’s game I think. Cov or Hull might have nothing to play for, and I would fancy Ipswich if this is the case. 

Edited by Dr Who?

The way I see it, RM has stated clearly that he is only interested in how we play…i.e. if we’re playing the possession game he’s happy because he thinks that’ll be enough to win a game. He’s seemingly blind to any adaption of his system.

What I don’t see is evidence that there’s been an analysis of the weaknesses of the opposing team - you know, how we specifically target areas that will provide an advantage. For example, we all know Vestergard is a slow lumbering giant that can’t turn quickly but can be tempted into a foul potentially in the box. Did we do anything to put him under pressure and test him? Nope…let’s just try to play keep ball over and over so Leicesters game plan of closing us down and forcing poor passes wins the day.

Is RM quite simply a fraud - an ex-player who’s read a few books and thinks he’s a master technician? I’ve not seen a great deal lately (since he’s been found out) to make me think otherwise.

• Like 7

I missed this one altogether as we were away on the continent and thankfully out of reach of media, thank goodness. What an appalling result for a club posturing as a promotion candidate. If progress can be measured by results against fellow relegation victims, seemingly we have regressed since we played Leicester in the PL last season and at SMS earlier this year.

What a dreadful indictment of the players and coaching staff, plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

These Saints do not deserve to go up; if there is any justice in football they will not go up and before all the hand wringing by the faux outraged, wasn't it just a year ago that many of them longed for the more competitive challenge of the Championship? Well, they have their wish and it my well be that they will continue to enjoy watching Championship football for a few more years to come.

Edited by Charlie Wayman
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Saint Fan CaM said:

The way I see it, RM has stated clearly that he is only interested in how we play…i.e. if we’re playing the possession game he’s happy because he thinks that’ll be enough to win a game. He’s seemingly blind to any adaption of his system.

What I don’t see is evidence that there’s been an analysis of the weaknesses of the opposing team - you know, how we specifically target areas that will provide an advantage. For example, we all know Vestergard is a slow lumbering giant that can’t turn quickly but can be tempted into a foul potentially in the box. Did we do anything to put him under pressure and test him? Nope…let’s just try to play keep ball over and over so Leicesters game plan of closing us down and forcing poor passes wins the day.

Is RM quite simply a fraud - an ex-player who’s read a few books and thinks he’s a master technician? I’ve not seen a great deal lately (since he’s been found out) to make me think otherwise.

Not only a fraud, an arrogant intransigent fraud.

• Like 2

On 24/04/2024 at 12:06, east-stand-nic said:

I am gonna get stick for this no question, but I do genuinely have a good friend at the club who says a lot behind the scenes is not good. RM is upset JW has gone and the players I am told are happy JW has gone and it has caused a bit of a rift in the dressing room. RM will not be here next season, nailed on.

Fucking good darts I say !

I am gonna get stick for this no question, but I do genuinely have a good friend at the club who says a lot behind the scenes is not good. RM is upset JW has gone and the players I am told are happy JW has gone and it has caused a bit of a rift in the dressing room. RM will not be here next season, nailed on.

Great news. 

I can absolutely see why RM would be annoyed / concerned that JW has gone - He's JW man and clearly JW has an unrealistic view on how football should be played successfully. So long as possession stats were good, RM would have been protected by JW, i'm sure of it. 

I don't see why the players would be happy with that though, unless he (JW) was dabbling in area's he really shouldn't have been.... 

Given JW has now gone, I think a re-set woulod be good for us. If that means RM needs to go in the process, i'm absolultely fine with that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Dman said:

Great news. 

I can absolutely see why RM would be annoyed / concerned that JW has gone - He's JW man and clearly JW has an unrealistic view on how football should be played successfully. So long as possession stats were good, RM would have been protected by JW, i'm sure of it. 

I don't see why the players would be happy with that though, unless he (JW) was dabbling in area's he really shouldn't have been.... 

Given JW has now gone, I think a re-set woulod be good for us. If that means RM needs to go in the process, i'm absolultely fine with that. 

Unfortunately the root of the problem remains.

Rasmus “if it isn’t broken then break it” F*cking Ankersen. 

2 minutes ago, Dark Munster said:

Unfortunately the root of the problem remains.

Rasmus “if it isn’t broken then break it” F*cking Ankersen. 

That is so stupid. If you follow that philosophy then nothing would ever get done because you’d be continuously breaking it.

• Like 1

If the above is true, makes sense with RMs comments about him not being here in the future

54 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

That is so stupid. If you follow that philosophy then nothing would ever get done because you’d be continuously breaking it.

He thinks he’s such a genius because nobody else has ever thought about that. It doesn’t occur to that drooling idiot it’s because it’s f*cking moronic. Same with him believing Jones and Martin were great hires.

As I said he’s a legend in his own mind. 

• Like 2

I thought the idea of the possession based stuff was to tire out the opposition and so we could score late in games? It seems to me that the reverse has happened!!!

Kaleidoscope football, lots of very pretty patterns but nothing comes of it. 

Im not for RM to be gone but I think he needs to show that he is prepared to mix it up a bit and stop allowing the opposition to reset their defence due to our slow build up play

• Like 2

1 hour ago, OldNick said:

I thought the idea of the possession based stuff was to tire out the opposition and so we could score late in games? It seems to me that the reverse has happened!!!

Kaleidoscope football, lots of very pretty patterns but nothing comes of it. 

Im not for RM to be gone but I think he needs to show that he is prepared to mix it up a bit and stop allowing the opposition to reset their defence due to our slow build up play

I think it’s the reverse. Our players tire themselves out whilst most of the opposition take a breather.

• Haha 1