Leicester 5-0 Saints - Match Thread

Lighthouse

Just now, saintant said:

Could do a lot worse than offer him the job but I doubt they'll sack RM.

Don’t have to sack him. Just give him an office and lock the door.

Maybe leave a bottle of brandy in there and a loaded pistol.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, OnceaSaintalwaysaSaint said:

The demise seemed to start when Bristol City did a high press against us. Other teams started doing it and put us under pressure but the way Leicester did it today really showed the floor in constantly playing it out from the back.

Really concerned about the play-offs now. Prior to tonight thought we'd put up a good show but that was so negative. 

It is with McC in goal. Tonight showed exactly what Baz brings to the team, we looked hopeless at building any kind of attack out from that back. We needed a keeper with good distribution who can bypass their forward press and play it into the midfielders in the right places.

• Like 2

Just now, Whitey Grandad said:

Don’t have to sack him. Just give him an office and lock the door.

Maybe leave a bottle of brandy in there and a loaded pistol.

He'd pour the brandy onto the gun and shoot the bottle.

• Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Elmore Saint said:

Come in Poch - It's time to come home.....

fuck off, what the fuck has he done to Chelseas young millionaires eh?.................fuck all,  and they are shit aswell. How the fuck has he kept his job? 30 points behind the team they got destroyed by tonight.

As per Jo Tessem on the commentary. We lack any pace or aggression. Leicester wanted it more and moved the ball quickly. It's not rocket science.. Is this the managers idea or do we simply not have the right players? 

• Like 3

Wouldn’t have been that bothered by a narrow defeat 2-0 or something as long as we looked competitive but to lay down and die like that against a team that’s stumbled and faltered lately and make them look as good as they did at the start of the season when they were smashing everyone (including us) is just fucking appalling and proves why Martin just really is not a very good manager. Goodnight.

• Like 6

Just now, Lighthouse said:

It is with McC in goal. Tonight showed exactly what Baz brings to the team, we looked hopeless at building any kind of attack out from that back. We needed a keeper with good distribution who can bypass their forward press and play it into the midfielders in the right places.

That’s not true. It was a team that pressed us that caused the issue as has happened many times with Bazuno in goal.

• Like 6

Wow.  Does he even tailor the approach according to the opposition, or too arrogant for that? 

Sack the weirdo now and offer someone like Roy Keane a £1m bonus for promotion.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

We were the exponents of the high press under Haassenhuta

Edited by Totton Saint

3 minutes ago, Osvaldorama said:

As bad as it gets. 

Time to get a proper manager in to give us a chance of winning the play offs. 

Sad to say it. Martin is a decent bloke but he’s taken us as far as he can. 

Yep. That was embarrassing, but highlighted what most people have been seeing and saying. Absolutely shambolic tactics, passing for the sake of it, wrong team selection, wrong subs, wrong manager. 

• Like 9

All the other teams in the playoff positions must be desperate to play us in the playoffs. Should be an easy win for any of them on current form. This team has been powder puff for years and,, under the expert hipster control of Sports Republic, has not changed one bit. Pathetic by the whole club yet again.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, BotleySaint said:

As per Jo Tessem on the commentary. We lack any pace or aggression. Leicester wanted it more and moved the ball quickly. It's not rocket science.. Is this the managers idea or do we simply not have the right players? 

It's the way RM has always set his teams up. Sooner or later you would think he'd notice it wasn't working.

• Like 6

I didn't watch the 2nd half. Lucky me. First was foreboding. What an absolute rotten display at such an vital stage. Never should be getting beat like that. We can't play that style against pressing and quality opposition. But it seems to be the only way we can play.

Only crumb of comfort is I really doubt we'll be that bad again in the 5 games if we're lucky to get that many. Maybe we got Leicester on a good day, despite our woefulness.

I can't hate the manager but his limitations were laid bare tonight. 

We did not lose because of McC and because we missed Baz. The problems are all over the pitch, but start with a badly coached back 4. 

• Like 11

This unfortunately is the football they are being told to play and are in trouble if they don't. RMs way or no way

• Like 5

When teams like Ipswich make substitutions they improve, we were only 1 0 down when our 2 subs came on 60 mins and then conceded 4 goals in the next 20 minutes! 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

What about the first time they gave us a pasting and we had Baz in goal…? And the Sunderland game… 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, captainchris said:

That’s not true. It was a team that pressed us that caused the issue as has happened many times with Bazuno in goal.

None of them have put 5 past us since that early season sh*t show with Holgate and we've almost always scored in reply. Tonight was the second time we failed to score since Ipswich at home in September.

5 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

fuck off, what the fuck has he done to Chelseas young millionaires eh?.................fuck all,  and they are shit aswell. How the fuck has he kept his job? 30 points behind the team they got destroyed by tonight.

There's the problem - young millionaires. 

Poch couldn't do any worse than this clown....

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Whitey Grandad said:

Not much that McCarthy could have done with any of those tonight. Our defence is just too open.

My reaction wasn't to do with whoever was in goal tonight, I just didn't realise it was that bad.

• Like 1

Just now, Dman said:

What about the first time they gave us a pasting and we had Baz in goal…? And the Sunderland game… 

That was in September when we were still adapting to a way of paying.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, M271 said:

When teams like Ipswich make substitutions they improve, we were only 1 0 down when our 2 subs came on 60 mins and then conceded 4 goals in the next 20 minutes! 

One of those 2 was Manning.

• Like 2

Might as well try and sum up what we just watched.

First half was horrific, terrible. We didn't lay a glove on them, way too passive, way too slow, whenever we got the ball we had no answer to their press, we panicked and gave the ball away. It was a non-event.

Second half - congrats on the amazing 30 seconds at the start of the second half, they should get a trophy for that I guess. But other than that it was same old. We became passive again, too slow, didn't attack with any purpose - but the defending was on another level. It seems unfair to pin it all on Manning, but we conceded 4 goals on his side as soon as he came on. He was standing off Fatawu like he was allergic to him, Aribo didn't do himself any favours either as he just ponced around and didn't get tight to him.

It was a general shit show. There was nothing positive about it at all. The fact we came out with the most possession should tell you all you need to know, it's propaganda nonsense. If you press us and rush us we will crumble.

We concede too many goals to be a valid promotion candidate and I include the playoffs in that. I should be looking forward to the playoffs I guess, but I genuinely can't be arsed.

• Like 7

7 minutes ago, badgerx16 said:

It's the way RM has always set his teams up. Sooner or later you would think he'd notice it wasn't working.

If your head was as far up your own arse as his is you don’t spot anything !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Roo1976 said:

He’s done a fantastic job at Chelsea I think, next up he should join Man Utd 😎

• Haha 1

Automatic was gone already, but the zero reaction to Saturday's shit show and our mentality when we faced some adversity gives me little hope for the playoffs.

Hope I'm wrong but defensively we have been a shambles for a while. If teams can frustrate us long enough, its game over as we'll always gift teams chances, especially from crosses

Management and players need to take a serious look at themselves after that. Pathetic

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lighthouse said:

That was in September when we were still adapting to a way of paying.

We were also without Mason Holgate’s contribution tonight.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Daft Kerplunk said:

Since the unbeaten run, the players have shown their true character. Technically good for the most part, apart from the ability to take chances but weak bottlers really. 

I don't think we are technically that good. Certainly not good enough to pass quickly and accurately, or for our more skillful players to keep possession under pressure.

In our own half, we pass side to side until we invite pressure and lose it. In attack, we pass side to side with no clue how to move it beyond the defence until we lose it or it goes back into our own half and the cycle starts over.

• Like 1

No bollocks, no steel, no aggression and no idea either.  That was comical to watch, talk about getting played off the park, we looked like a pub side.  I never expected us to win tonight, but I did expect us to at least compete, you know, actually try.  I've said all season that we lacked bottle and when it gets tough we just throw in the towel, every fucking time.  I'm not bothered about the playoffs, we've no chance but what does worry me is next season.   We have had quality players this season but we've not readily got near to promotion, a lot of the quality will go and next season is likely to be carnage at St Mary's.  We're scaring nobody this season and we certainly won't be next season.  Clusterfuck. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, BotleySaint said:

Despite the goals they have scored ..we are too reliant on Adams and Adam .A.  with no other goalscorer anywhere near double figures.

At this rate we'll need to scrap this lot and sign up a new squad starting with a good goalie (or two), some brute force in midfield and another

two strikers  to replace Adams and Mara, because it'll need some real magic for us to get the third promotion spot and the thought that

most Prem. sides would beat us out of sight if we did go up.

Edited by david in sweden
  • Like 2

That was a lesson in just how far we've come under Martin. Outclassed by a much better organised, capable side.

Absolute insistence in playing a system, where we don't have players capable of being effective in it. Leicester looked expansive, strong and capable. They were happy to use their possession effectively. We tried and failed to do what we always do, and had no answers.

We have games with effective spells, only to fail to manage them and drop points. Then there are games like this where the system fails, and we don't have anything else.

Two of our three starting midfielders out, and the one who can actually pass a ball, in Smallbone dropped so that we can play someone out of position there.

You can see, even after this time, players unable to play a natural game, but also unable to do anything within the instructions they are given.

The players who are there, haven't been coached to bring the best out of them, in the tactic. Even to perform a set role in it, would be an improvement.

RM doesn't help himself even more, by switching fullbacks. Or in playing Rothwell and Brooks from the start. Both of whom have already been shown to weaken his own system.

Add that to McCarthy who isn't as good at distributing the ball and it had disaster written all over it.

• Like 4

Just now, Andrew Watson said:

Leeds will do the same to us at Elland Road and we are not getting out of this league for years. For the record we got the double over this lot last year. 

And it's all part of the master plan to get Ipswich in the playoffs finals....just wish they hadn't made it so bloody obvious!

Martin: “I’m not sure [what happened]. It’s crazy it ends 5-0. For so long in the game I thought we were really good. We’re not ruthless and they are. It can’t descend into what it did after that.” #saintsfc [sky]

Hahahahahaha deluded twat. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Fair play to Leicester, they looked like a Premier League team and, erm, Saints looked like the Prem team of last season with that kind of limp, disorganised surrender I hoped I'd seen the last of.

The gaps at the back for the goals were criminal considering how often Bednarek and HB have played together, so, so easy and KWP and Bree not stopping the crosses, although to be fair to them they got precious little protection from those in front. When Downes doesn't play we seem to lose all our shape with huge gaps between the lines and simple passes to play through. 

Such a poor, poor performance even considering it was against an excellent team.

Don't want to blame any single player as they all showed they are limited, but Charles was disappointing. When you are under the cosh and not able to get out of your own half, it's usually because your are losing the central midfield battle. We had no control at all. The drop off from Downes to him is massive. Get Downes back and we have a chance in the lay off. Without him, we can't play it out from the back

• Like 2