Will the home fans step up on Friday?

Dusic

Posted (edited)

Interesting listening to the Blackmore and Tessem pod in which AB says the start of the game on Sunday was up there with the best home atmospheres he has witnessed. It clearly had a big impact on WBA's fast start and they stayed with the team throughout.

Can our fans create similar (following our away fans lead) on Friday and make being at home 2nd leg a big advantage? Or will there be moaning and exasperation as soon as we play the same way we have in every game this season and pass the ball inside our own area?

On sky after the game Jobi McAnuff said its often easier being away 2nd leg as the home fans can get on the backs of their team whilst the away side has no pressure.

Hopefully our fans can avoid that trap and make it a great night under the SMS lights.

spacer.png

Edited by Dusic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Dusic said:

Interesting listening to the Blackmore and Tessem pod in which AB says the start of the game on Sunday was up there with the best home atmospheres he has witnessed. It clearly had a big impact on WBA's fast start and they stayed with the team throughout.

Can our fans create similar (following our away fans lead) on Friday and make being at home 2nd leg a big advantage? Or will there be moaning and exasperation as soon as we play the same way we have in every game this season and pass the ball inside our own area?

On sky after the game Jobi McAnuff said its often easier being away 2nd leg as the home fans can get on the backs of their team whilst the away side has no pressure.

Hopefully our fans can avoid that trap and make it a great night under the SMS lights.

spacer.png

The only way this will happen is if we get a light show before the game starts.

• Haha 3

Posted (edited)

The majority of Saints fans don’t really get that stuck in, too reserved perhaps, too restrained in showing emotion because of upbringing, too middle class with all the repression that comes with it, thinking a football stadium is for quietly watching the game, being embarrassed by the thought of it all. Hopefully the return of an end with standing will at least see some noise return to the stadium and people feeling like them have a role to play in the match day experience. If the players didn’t want it then they wouldn’t gesture for fans to make more noise. But then how uncouth and clearly lacking in table manners. If you want silence, go and watch rugby or golf. 

Edited by Daft Kerplunk
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Dusic said:

spacer.png

What became of that,... er, minor celebrity ? Used to be regularly feature on the BBC build up threads.

I managed to buy a ticket around midday, having checked the website on the off-chance some spares would pop up. I'm guessing there might be a few here and there for people who bought in haste before they realised they couldn't make it and asked for a refund or something, so those currently without might benefit from doing similar over the coming days.

I managed to get mine near back of Chapel block 15, so assuming some of the usual lot make it, there should at least be some decent noise in that corner win or lose, for the last time before most of them presumably migrate to stand in the Northam.

On 13/05/2024 at 20:48, Ted Bates Statue said:

I managed to buy a ticket around midday, having checked the website on the off-chance some spares would pop up. I'm guessing there might be a few here and there for people who bought in haste before they realised they couldn't make it and asked for a refund or something, so those currently without might benefit from doing similar over the coming days.

I managed to get mine near back of Chapel block 15, so assuming some of the usual lot make it, there should at least be some decent noise in that corner win or lose, for the last time before most of them presumably migrate to stand in the Northam.

Come squeeze in the back. One last big effort needed from the Chapel on Friday. 👍

• Like 1

i see the skates are rinsing us for this. the Portsmouth news posted a link on their social media saying "Pompey have never felt the need to do this"

Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing that for a game of this size we're having to ask fans to get behind the team.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)
57 minutes ago, Turkish said:

i see the skates are rinsing us for this. the Portsmouth news posted a link on their social media saying "Pompey have never felt the need to do this"

Honestly, it's pretty embarrassing that for a game of this size we're having to ask fans to get behind the team.

I think it's just social media though init? There's a bunch of kids who think they're the "voice of the fans" like that public schoolboy from Trowbrdige, they don't seem to understand that most Sotonians would've just got on with it anyway.

Not to make this a wool vs locals thing but I definitely think there's a big cultural difference there, I saw Nick stuck this on Illingsweb and it's spot on about those of us actually from the city

"in Southampton we are not like that, we don't boast, we don't brag, our pride in our City & team is a little more reserved at times, we have a self deprecating humour that doesn't let anyone get too big for their boots."

A lot of these nippers have a different attitude, they want to be "seen", which isn't really that important to me. Way more important we show up in the ground than two hours before hand to sing at a bunch of millionaires getting off a bus.

Edited by franniesTache
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Turkish said:

Couldn’t give a flying one about that lot down the road - anyone that rinses us and has Westwood in their ranks needs to give their head a wobble.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Turkish said:

I'm not fussed about the opinion of a club that had an open top bus parade of the last time they held us to a draw... David Norris Day 🤣

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Couldn’t give a flying one about that lot down the road - anyone that rinses us and has Westwood in their ranks needs to give their head a wobble.

Smashing up their own shithole town after gaining promotion just shows the level of twatness they operate at.

• Like 1

It's just the club trying to make some money and capitilising on the moment.  Who gives a fuck about the Pompey numpties.

If I could get out of work early enough, I would get down to the ground early, have a pint and a burger. Never done it before but my boy would love it.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, franniesTache said:

I think it's just social media though init? There's a bunch of kids who think they're the "voice of the fans" like that public schoolboy from Trowbrdige, they don't seem to understand that most Sotonians would've just got on with it anyway.

Not to make this a wool vs locals thing but I definitely think there's a big cultural difference there, I saw Nick stuck this on Illingsweb and it's spot on about those of us actually from the city

A lot of these nippers have a different attitude, they want to be "seen", which isn't really that important to me. Way more important we show up in the ground than two hours before hand to sing at a bunch of millionaires getting off a bus.

Seems that way, what Nick says is right. You've only got to look at facebook and as soon as anyone mentions best fans, best atmosphere, best anything the skates are always in the first two or three replies stating themselves as being the best. Same whenever anyone mentions anything about Southampton they're always the first to respond saying something derogatory about us. It's very cute.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In fairness, the club have said nothing on the website about flares. They've just put the bus route and time they've expected but everything else has been from social media (even if the club have obviously encouredged it).

I also reckon the players themselves have asked for this as well, going by THB's interview with Adam Blackmore released just now.

Edited by Pamplemousse

2 hours ago, Turkish said:

To be fair Leeds have been doing exactly the same with rallying cries, bring a scarf, whole ground stand etc. We'll see what they do on Thursday 

Screenshot_20240515-162019_Gallery.thumb.jpg.1513368e940aac8bd13863dc270321e9.jpg

10 minutes ago, coalman said:

I'm sure Sunak will be there which can only create a hostile atmosphere.

Will do if he goes anywhere near RM's dugout :lol:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Turkish said:

Seems that way, what Nick says is right. You've only got to look at facebook and as soon as anyone mentions best fans, best atmosphere, best anything the skates are always in the first two or three replies stating themselves as being the best. Same whenever anyone mentions anything about Southampton they're always the first to respond saying something derogatory about us. It's very cute.

They’re like the boy at school who thought he was most popular. Unfounded arrogance and always giving it the biggun in front of all the girls until the unassuming lad put him on his arse, stole his girlfriend and beat him on sports day. 

Nick is spot on, sotonians just aren’t like this. We don’t need constant validation and it’s why most of this nonsense doesn’t sit right with us at all. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Turkish said:

I saw they had wrote an entire article on it earlier: https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/football/portsmouth-fc/portsmouth-rivals-southampton-appeal-for-help-ahead-of-west-brom-semi-final-and-potential-return-of-south-coast-derby-4627595

So,  I wanted to see if their claim "Pompey have never felt the need to do this" was true. Apparently, after a quick Google search it isn't. Here's Michael Appleton the last time they got relegated from the Championship: 

And here's their ex-captain Liam Lawrence:

It's almost as if every club does something like this before a big game. Not sure why they've latched onto it, guess they've got to keep pushing their myths.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

I've little doubt if you popped back to the last time the skates were about to fuck it up in the playoffs their local rag would have been doing the same. And they conveniently like to forget that the freak-with-the-bell and his little band of merry men first took a drum into their home games because the place was like a fucking morgue. And then they came up with this little beauty to encourage more to get involved :smug:

spacer.png

• Haha 6

16 minutes ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

I've little doubt if you popped back to the last time the skates were about to fuck it up in the playoffs their local rag would have been doing the same. And they conveniently like to forget that the freak-with-the-bell and his little band of merry men first took a drum into their home games because the place was like a fucking morgue. And then they came up with this little beauty to encourage more to get involved :smug:

spacer.png

Grace Jones there in the bottom right, always wondered what she gets up to these days.

• Haha 3

Not going to lie, and it might just be me, but it feels like our support have totally collectively lost their heads about this. Not only is every other post on social media about meeting the bus the local paper is now printing the weather forecast for the route 🤣

God i hope pride doesn't come before a fall, because this team have shown on multiple occasions they don't handle pressure well

• Like 1

I've had season ticket in block 42, 27, 23 and now in 24 and the atmosphere its not as bad as some make out. 42 is of cause the main industrial language and great barracking of away fans but there is noise from thd other blocks. What's clearly evident this season is large chunks of the 90 mins is not entertaining or exciting or anything to get you off your seat/shouting. Some more attacks, Shots and brevity tackle will help. Its like watching motorhead sat sat in chairs reading the paper with a backing track. The need a positive attacking game plan Friday.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

spacer.png

I am eating my fucking lunch 🤢

19 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

spacer.png

I’m just curious as to where the Teddy Bear and Elephant fit into this Deliverance tableaux?! 😳

20 hours ago, TheAlehouseBrawlers said:

spacer.png

The fucking stench of that, and to think that the inbreds are proud to claim it.  Looks like surveillance footage by Stinson Hunter.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, franniesTache said:

Not going to lie, and it might just be me, but it feels like our support have totally collectively lost their heads about this. Not only is every other post on social media about meeting the bus the local paper is now printing the weather forecast for the route 🤣

God i hope pride doesn't come before a fall, because this team have shown on multiple occasions they don't handle pressure well

I sense that as well, all getting a bit too carried away. Funny thing is a lot aren't actually too fussed about being in the Premier league so we're getting excited for the occasion not the prize. 

Are Saints leaving scarves etc on seats like Leeds have? 

On 15/05/2024 at 13:54, franniesTache said:

What’s a “wools v locals” ?

The quote about the Saints fans reminds me a bit of one of Lawrie’s comments when he first arrived that a lot of our fans do their singing and dancing in their kitchens. 

• Like 1

On 13/05/2024 at 17:01, Dusic said:

spacer.png

Funny how all these cringy millenial fancy-dress types usually seem to be quite a bit older than the demographic Saintsweb expects them to belong to. Must be the stress of glory-supporting a team like Southampton rather than Basingstoke Town, Salisbury or whoever the fuck they're supposed to support instead, bearing in mind the invisible and unspoken catchment area boundaries.

Speaking of Adam and Jo, the comment that springs to mind from them is "If you have a ticket and you're not prepared to scream your head off for 90 minutes, give your ticket to someone else." I only read about what it was like against for example Norwich in 2005 so would be nice to see the stadium rocking. What are we supposed to do, treat it like the snooker? If we lose, at least we can't blame ourselves. I can't be arsed to turn up early though, hope all those meeting the bus don't run out of puff early after half time if we haven't yet scored.

• Haha 1

Still eerily quiet during the less certain moments. Room for improvement. 

And the less said about those that ran on at the end...

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Toadhall Saint said:

Yep - shows we can.

Wembley now that’s a challenge as it’s so soulless.

It was pretty good for the League Cup Final tbf,* maybe there'll be a scarf on the seat for fans like last time, quite effective and Leeds will likely do it again after last night.

*other than that light show

Edited by TheAlehouseBrawlers
oh yeah, that mobile light show...

Just now, Block41 Saint said:

One of the best atmospheres at the stadium. Unreal. 

Up there with MK Dons JPT, Pompey in the league cup and Arsenal at home under Koeman when we beat them 2-0 in January to put us 3 points ahead of them in 4th place. 

It was such a great atmosphere, even hours before kick off the stadium and roads around were absolutley buzzing. I didn't think I'd ever see our players being greeted like that though, was a first at St Mary's.

It was great, really enjoyed it. The efforts at the end have certainly put a dampener on it though, but that was a real minority.

• Like 4

On 16/05/2024 at 22:12, Badger said:

What’s a “wools v locals” ?

The quote about the Saints fans reminds me a bit of one of Lawrie’s comments when he first arrived that a lot of our fans do their singing and dancing in their kitchens. 

People like me are wools. Grew up in North Baddesley, Fordingbridge and Crampmoor. The Dell, Central Baths The Lido all parts of my history though. Victorian family all from St Mary's according to Ancestry.

• Like 1

Astonishing atmosphere, was fantastic to be there.

I think the fans knew, this time, it was all or nothing. No point being nervous or trepidatious or fearful. Just sing, sing and sing some more.

Brilliant.

• Like 8