Hull vs Saints - Build Up

Lighthouse

Tempted to stick with the same line up although part of me would like to see Wanyama away from home.

A draw here puts us up into 8th place until Newcastle play Spurs on Wednesday. I think I'd take that, not an easy place to go and the weather will probably still be sh*te.

Their new strikers have started well, but I still think we can beat them. I went with my heart for the Stoke game when I should have gone with my head, so I'm going with my head this time. Entertaining 3-3 draw though we're easily good enough to get all 3 points.

I know they have improved a bit since then, but we absolutely battered them at SMS earlier in the season. It was one of the most one-sided games of football I have ever seen.

No doubt they will come at us early on so as long as we can keep them out until they tire in the 2nd half, just like at Fulham last week, we should be able to get the 3 points. Perhaps we should stick Wanyama in from the start to break up their play and frustrate them.

Looks like this will be the only league game I will get to this season. I've probably already cursed it for us by buying a ticket so I apologise in advance if we should lose.

This fixture was the last league game I went to as well, during our promotion season. Again on a tuesday night. We won 2-0 that night with Hooiveld getting his obligatory midweek goal, and I can't remember who got the other.

This fixture was the last league game I went to as well, during our promotion season. Again on a tuesday night. We won 2-0 that night with Hooiveld getting his obligatory midweek goal, and I can't remember who got the other.

Jack Hobbs own goal from a Fox cross, I think.

Neither players around for a reenactment, although i have a feeling the scoreline could be the same.

That was such a buzz that night, it was from there on in that I knew we'd go up. We took a huge win at a really tough place and Reading/WHU both slipped up. Perfection.

Which team will be the fittest after a very tough and energetic Saturday playing on soggy ground? if Saints can recover I reckon a 1-1 draw.

A draw would be a good result for us, think we'll get beaten myself, too many games and too few players to play them.

Might change my opinion if Gaston or Dejan suddenly became available though.

3-1 to the mighty Saints.

Just hope Long does not back into defender then throw himself forward...like Walters did for Stoke half a dozen times or more on Saturday.

Lambert gets battered and bruised...sometimes by two players at the same time and gets nowt from the refs.

Fair game at Hull...decent ref.......we win as stated above.

Wanyama......to start the game for me.

We won't get relegated, we won't reach CL ....8th or 9th would be a pretty good consolidation year

Play the reserves v Hull and save the first team for the FA Cup!

What reserves would that be then, we only have just about enough players to make up the match 18 just now.

In fact we put players onto the bench who have no chance whatsoever of getting any game time. I'd give Jonnoquick a number and put him on the bench at Hull if Gallagher isn't available, can't be any more redundant than Isgrove would seem to be.

Tempted to start with Gallagher again. The team played very good against Arsenal with a more mobile striker making runs off the defenders shoulders and stretching the defense a bit.

And I´m not sure if Lambert has the legs for 3 games in 8 days and this would give a bit of rest for the game saturday and if needed he can always come on for 25-30 minutes in this game...

I watched the whole of the hull game last night on delayed transmission. Have to say they looked pretty quick going forward, not that Sunderland did much to stop them. The young guy on loan from arsenal looked useful and could prove a handful, although to be fair I,m on holiday and had had quite a few cocktails by then so my judgement may have been impaired.

Tempted to start with Gallagher again. The team played very good against Arsenal with a more mobile striker making runs off the defenders shoulders and stretching the defense a bit.

I'm assuming (dangerous I appreciate) that with the time off due to his fathers passing that he might not be ready to play again just yet and possibly hasn't been training - at least at 100%.

@SouthamptonFC: Mauricio Pochettino is about to speak to the media ahead of tomorrow's trip to Hull. Text updates and quotes to follow. #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Mauricio Pochettino: "We've been on a very good run with good performances and results. We need to carry on in the same manner." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: MP: "We always prefer to play at home, but the team has shown the right consistency and mentality away from home as well." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: MP: "@hullcityteam made good reinforcements in the transfer window. They are a tough side to play against." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: MP on #HCAFC: "Quite frankly, they are a side I like - I like how they play and we will respect them tomorrow." #saintsfc

Edited by trousers

@SouthamptonFC: MP: "Today is an important day for assessing the fitness of the players, especially those who made a big effort against Stoke." #saintsfc

@SouthamptonFC: Mauricio Pochettino is now speaking to the written media. Quotes from this section to come at 10.30pm GMT. #saintsfc

Well, that was a revelationery press conference...

When we played them at SMS earlier this season we absolutely battered them in the 1st half. Second half less so because they changed to two upfront which gave our CB's less time on the ball. Wanyama had less time on the ball as well and he eventually got subbed cus he was having a mare (official reason was back injury).

They play Long and Jelavic upfront so it will be more like the 2nd half at SMS. Having said that they will come at us more so hopefully we can exploit the space. I think they will cause us problems by playing two upfront but if we can get stranglehold in midfield then we can limit the threat of Long and Jelavic.

Be some tired legs after saturday but with limited options on the bench I will only look to bring in Wanyama and Chambers if required.

Boruc, Chambers, Fonte, Yoshida, Shaw, Cork, Schiederlin, Wanyama, J-Rod, Lambert, Lallana.

No reason why Cork and Wanyama can't play together along with Morgan and Steven Davis isn't young is he? He could probably do with a break. Gallagher would be a fairly early sub as well for me, depending on how things are going. If he's okay to play that is. Hopefully he can come on and nick a goal and a win in honour of his dad!

Personally id make a few changes and give Lallana, Jay Rod, Davis, Fonte, Lambo, Shaw a break with saturday in mind.

A loss to Hull means nothing really if we can save players for the cup game. Im sure most would take a loss tomorrow if we can win on saturday.

id go for

Boruc

clyne - yos- jos- chambers

---wanyama---cork----

Guly----------------JWP

--------Reed--------

------Galagher--------

Personally id make a few changes and give Lallana, Jay Rod, Davis, Fonte, Lambo, Shaw a break with saturday in mind.

A loss to Hull means nothing really if we can save players for the cup game. Im sure most would take a loss tomorrow if we can win on saturday.

id go for

Boruc

---wanyama---cork----

Guly----------------JWP

--------Reed--------

------Galagher--------

We will never play a team as weak as that in the PL, the result would be disgracefully shamemaking.

team tomorrow night will be roughly as per usual, they'll be expected to win tomorrow and again on Saturday. We don't have enough players that's all so the same just have to shoulder the load week in week out, some will pay the price for that by not being selected for their respective nations at the WC.

id go for

Boruc

---wanyama---cork----

Guly----------------JWP

--------Reed--------

------Galagher--------

The league is far more important than a Cup match, so if anything I would put your team up against Sunderland and play the stronger one against Hull.

1-0 hull I think. Could be another scrappy one in bad conditions but think it'll be a frustrating one.

Think we'll make a few changes with 2 quick games. Maybe wanyama and JWP coming in. Might surprise us and start Guly too!

Agree, VW will play, as will JWP and can see Shaw being rested. Cant see Gallagher starting away from home but you never know

The league is far more important than a Cup match, so if anything I would put your team up against Sunderland and play the stronger one against Hull.

I disagree. We are in no mans land in the league right now. We won't make the top 6 as who would we replace, spurs, Liverpool, Everton? Can't see it. Our best chance of getting to Europe is the cup. We can finish in the top 10 comfortably regardless of playing a weak side at Hull.

Personally I would rather take a cup day at Wembley over finishing 8th.