Koeman's first Southampton press conference 11/7/14

Matthew Le God

I only heard it on a dodgy stream. Was Koeman asked whether he had been given a specific target to achieve, (top half/better than last season/europa...) ?

He said the Club's aim was to continue improvement on the previous 2 seasons, then mentioned 7th, 8th or 9th place as a no no and wouldn't really be an improvement.......So you can deduce from that we're aiming for a top 6 finish.

Very confident with Koeman in charge. I like when he says Jay could be like the best winter transfer for us and that the squad should be ready for the first game of the season.

I did not like the pushy Suarez questions.

According to the red top rag The Express, Koeman is "furious" with Lovren's behaviour.

Watch the bloody interview you cretinous journo! He wasn't furious, apoplexic with rage, or anything you care to fabricate in an effort to impress your gormless readership.

He was calmness personified throughout. Mildly irritated sums it up for me, but that doesn't cut it for shrillness, does it?

According to the red top rag The Express, Koeman is "furious" with Lovren's behaviour.

Watch the bloody interview you cretinous journo! He wasn't furious, apoplexic with rage, or anything you care to fabricate in an effort to impress your gormless readership.

He was calmness personified throughout. Mildly irritated sums it up for me, but that doesn't cut it for shrillness, does it?

:lol:

Bloody press! :)

He said the Club's aim was to continue improvement on the previous 2 seasons, then mentioned 7th, 8th or 9th place as a no no and wouldn't really be an improvement.......So you can deduce from that we're aiming for a top 6 finish.

I took it that he was saying that table position is not what he is aiming for. He is looking to continue the progress and keep Saints playing good football.

I took it that he was saying that table position is not what he is aiming for. He is looking to continue the progress and keep Saints playing good football.

Yep. My translation was, let's just get the players we want, play the style we want and do as well as we possibly can and keep progressing.

Good press conference, nice and easy and importantly transparent. Long may it last so no gagging order please Mr Rodgers. RK showing signs of real toughness over the Lovren affair so we must hope he reminds the player of who the boss is (show me your medals), who's paying his wages (contract willingly signed) and the consequences of bad behaviour (under 21 squad). I loved the Morgan Schneiderlin "will be a Southampton player" and it look like Rodrigues will be going nowhere soon.

Keep a happy Lovren, keep a happy Morgan and we'll all be singing again. This makes me feel better at least for today.

Nah! Not logical to deduce that, he meant position? "whatever" and in case you missed the point 9th is lower than 8th?

I didn't see it that way. It looks to me like there will be a head to head, possibly ending in blood shed or a new contract. 50/50 IMO

If his head isn't going to be in it, then we might as well take the money and bring in his replacement. I can see Morgan being professional if he's asked to give us another season, Dejan's already shown his unprofessionalism by using the media to say he wants to go.

If he's not going to be 100% next season, get rid for Liverpool's big bucks and bring in 1 or 2 new CBs. I'd take a happy Lovren, but is that still possible?

.. but still nowhere near as cliched as good ol' Nige used to be.

How dare you?!

Those tried and tested cliches were merely cover for a simmering underlying footballing master plan.

COVER!

If his head isn't going to be in it, then we might as well take the money and bring in his replacement. I can see Morgan being professional if he's asked to give us another season, Dejan's already shown his unprofessionalism by using the media to say he wants to go.

If he's not going to be 100% next season, get rid for Liverpool's big bucks and bring in 1 or 2 new CBs. I'd take a happy Lovren, but is that still possible?

I dunno if his head would be in it or not. All people are different, it would depend on whether he holds grudges, forgets stuff easily and all that. Just no way of knowing really.

Agreed, my take on it as well.

The printed media questions and answers came after the broadcast media. There is a chance he was more candid with the cameras turned off.

The printed media questions and answers came after the broadcast media. There is a chance he was more candid with the cameras turned off.

Quite possibly, but if anybody saw how calm he was in the televised interview and then read the headlines from the Express, then they would reasonably reach the same conclusion that I did, that the article was way over the top in terms of Koeman's feelings on Lovren's behaviour.

I dunno if his head would be in it or not. All people are different, it would depend on whether he holds grudges, forgets stuff easily and all that. Just no way of knowing really.

You can be Luke Shaw that if he stays (which would take a miracle) he will be ripped apart for any defensive. Mistakes

Koeman is an experienced man manager. I doubt very much he is furious with Loveran's behaviour or that he would transmit those feeling to the media even if he were.

It was quite clear watching him that he was furious with Osvaldo though, but he managed to keep his feelings pretty much in check.

Enjoyed that. RK seems pretty open and honest yet you get the feeling he could be a bit of a nasty bastard if he needs to be. Overall he seems to give off an impression of quiet confidence that is very re-assuring starting to look forward to next season now.

It was quite clear watching him that he was furious with Osvaldo though, but he managed to keep his feelings pretty much in check.

This

Just watched the interview and I thought he came across really well. I suspect the players know where they stand with Ron! I don't think we'll see osvaldo back in Southampton... I'm not sure he has the balls to face up to Koeman.

Can't believe the amount of questions about ficking Suarez. It's a Southampton FC interview, what the **** do we care about ficking Suarez?

Watched the video and listened to the solent interview. (Enough about Suarez already..)

Got to say I think RK is great - comes across well but with just enough in there to suggest he won't be taking any sh it whatsoever from any players.

I am sure Lovren and Ossies will both go but not until the pair of them have the balls to turn up at the training ground.

I think we are in good hands and he will build bare minimum a solid mid table side next season.

Going through the full twenty minutes on youtube. My thoughts.

1) Impressive, his manner and demeanor. Excellent. He is in control, he is clearly already the boss. He dealt with the questions about Van Gaal and Suarez well, not cutting the journalist's noses off but respecting his role and commented within turn. He is able to keep the media on side while being able to keep his cards close to his chest.

2) On that basis, Pelle is happening. He wouldn't have said it was close otherwise.... He is not a Bull****ter.

3) This is a man manager, the perfect man to transition us to a new era. Handle the egos and build a new side. He will be happy to bring through the kids if they are good enough.

4) Dejan and Morgan starting v Liverpool? I wouldn't bet against it. "He is a Southampton player...."

5) We are a top ten Premier League side. He has the attitude and profile to cement that.

Edited by Colinjb

Going through the full twenty minutes on youtube. My thoughts.

1) Impressive, his manner and demeanor. Excellent. He is in control, he is clearly already the boss. He dealt with the questions about Van Gaal and Suarez well, not cutting the journalist's noses off but respecting his role and commented within turn. He is able to keep the media on side while being able to keep his cards close to his chest.

2) On that basis, Pelle is happening. He wouldn't have said it was close otherwise.... He is not a Bull****ter.

3) This is a man manager, the perfect man to transition us to a new era. Handle the egos and build a new side. He will be happy to bring through the kids if they are good enough.

4) Dejan and Morgan starting v Liverpool? I wouldn't bet against it. "He is a Southampton player...."

5) We are a top ten Premier League side. He has the attitude and profile to cement that.

Agreed. He did well, and seems a straight shooter. I am very proud of my fellow countryman.

Worrying comment that no-one seems to have picked up on is that J-Rod is not likely to feature until the New Year. Ron said he will be like a new signing after the winter break - has no-one told Ron that there is no winter break in England?

Thought that was common knowledge....

Jay was terribly injured. Striking reinforcements are key.

Lovren is clearly going. Nothing RK or anyone can do to change that. They are probably already in talks for his replacement.

Would be great if he changed his mind but surely too many bridges burned.

Sounded more positive on Morgan.

How is he clearly going? You have been saying Morgan is off for ages. You're the most pessimistic poster by miles. Stop being so bloomin negative so depressing.

How is he clearly going? You have been saying Morgan is off for ages. You're the most pessimistic poster by miles. Stop being so bloomin negative so depressing.

Read Lovren's comments the other day. Do you really think he will be staying after that? Really?

Thats all Im saying. Surely anyone realises its much more likely than not that he will leave?

Schneiderlin less so, but couldn't blame him for moving on, although obviously I hope not.

Think thats just realistic, not depressing. Have to say Im excited by Koeman, the players we are targetting etc, but yes, IMO its nailed on Lovren will leave. I don't think that is overly ludicrous to state.

Thought that was common knowledge....

Jay was terribly injured. Striking reinforcements are key.

No, common knowledge was that he would probably be fit November, in the team December, hence view that he might be ready to play against Burnley. Now Ron's comments would suggest January at the earliest, and depending on your interpretation, end January. Always said we need 3 new strikers if Ossie doesn't say, one to cover JRod not being available, now even more convinced this is the case.

No, common knowledge was that he would probably be fit November, in the team December, hence view that he might be ready to play against Burnley. Now Ron's comments would suggest January at the earliest, and depending on your interpretation, end January. Always said we need 3 new strikers if Ossie doesn't say, one to cover JRod not being available, now even more convinced this is the case.

I'm not sure, I took it to mean sometime round the end of the year with Ronnie making it into a joke about the next transfer window at the same time. I suspect that if the transfer window opened in November he would have made the same joke and everyone would have got excited about it being early November.

I've always taken it as being rather ball park. Somewhere between November and the end of the year but I suspect JRod knows best and if he's aiming for the Burnley game then that's his target. Whether he makes it or not is anyone's guess with an injury like that.

Read Lovren's comments the other day. Do you really think he will be staying after that? Really?

Thats all Im saying. Surely anyone realises its much more likely than not that he will leave?

Schneiderlin less so, but couldn't blame him for moving on, although obviously I hope not.

Think thats just realistic, not depressing. Have to say Im excited by Koeman, the players we are targetting etc, but yes, IMO its nailed on Lovren will leave. I don't think that is overly ludicrous to state.

You may well be right in the end who knows, but if we really decide we will not sell him and then the transfer season is closed......... whats he going to do refuse to play. If this happens he has some manning up to do. Also imagine him in the first game if here, against Liverpool. Now that will be interesting. Surely this match will be televised, so many storys in that match.