Stoke build-up thread

Shroppie

What about keeping Yoshida in the team (I think he deserves it), bringing Clyne back in, and moving Alderweireld to midfield instead of the suspended Wanyama? Toby looked good there briefly earlier in the season.

Not a bad call. Will need to be solid.

Saints in the first half vs Hull played in a 4-2-3-1 system with S.Davis in a number 10 role, with Schneiderlin and Wanyama alongside each other...

K.Davis

Clyne        Fonte     Alderweireld     Bertrand

Wanyama  Schneiderlin     

Long             S.Davis              Mane

Pelle

Saints ended the Hull game in a 4-3-3 system with Schneiderlin sitting deep and Koeman seemed happier about how we played in the second half...

K.Davis

Alderweireld        Fonte     Yoshida     Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Ward-Prowse     S.Davis

Tadic                                    Elia

Pelle

For the Stoke game Koeman may want to use the second system, with a few changes. From the players on the pitch at the end of the Hull game - Elia, Tadic and Yoshida making way for Long, Mane and Clyne.

K.Davis

Schneiderlin

Ward-Prowse     S.Davis

Long                                    Mane

Pelle

Saints in the first half vs Hull played in a 4-2-3-1 system with S.Davis in a number 10 role, with Schneiderlin and Wanyama alongside each other...

K.Davis

Wanyama  Schneiderlin     

Long             S.Davis              Mane

Pelle

Saints ended the Hull game in a 4-3-3 system with Schneiderlin sitting deep and Koeman seemed happier about how we played in the second half...

K.Davis

Alderweireld        Fonte     Yoshida     Bertrand

Schneiderlin

Ward-Prowse     S.Davis

Tadic                                    Elia

Pelle

For the Stoke game Koeman may want to use the second system, with a few changes. From the players on the pitch at the end of the Hull game - Elia, Tadic and Yoshida making way for Long, Mane and Clyne.

K.Davis

Schneiderlin

Ward-Prowse     S.Davis

Long                                    Mane

Pelle

I like the idea of a single DCM with Scheiderlin (considering Wanyama is out), but it seems Mane prefers playing closer to the middle.. how about?

-------------------K.Davis-----------------

Clyne-- Fonte --Alderweireld---Bertrand

--------------- Schneiderlin---------------

Tadic----------Ward-Prowse-----------Elia

---------------Pelle -----Mane-------------

too offensive?

I like the idea of a single DCM with Scheiderlin (considering Wanyama is out), but it seems Mane prefers playing closer to the middle.. how about?

Tadic----------Ward-Prowse-----------Elia

---------------Pelle -----Mane-------------

too offensive?

While Schneiderlin is obviously fantastic, we saw when we played Burnley that he struggles without Wanyama, while Wanyama can play without Schneiderlin.

I think Reed may need to partner Morgan.

--------------------------Super Kelvin-------------------

Clyne-----------Fonte--------------Yoshida--------Bertie

-----------------------Alderweireld-----------------------

------------------JWP--------Schneiderlin----------------

--------------------------Tadic---------------------------

---------------------Pelle-------Mane-----------------

I wonder if leaving Clyne out yesterday was a response to his refusal to sign a contract extension but good as Aldeweireld is, he is no Clyne so I suspect Koeman will reinstate Clyne. If so, I imagine the usual back four will be used with Yoshida moving to the bench. JWP is the usual first choice cover in midfield so he will probably be in for Victor with the front four unchanged.

While Schneiderlin is obviously fantastic, we saw when we played Burnley that he struggles without Wanyama, while Wanyama can play without Schneiderlin.

He didn't struggle without Wanyama yesterday though. He was far better in the second half after Vic had been subbed. So the evidence of one game (Burnley) is not exactly convincing.

Clyne--- Fonte --Alderweireld---Bertrand

-------------Reed-- Schneiderlin---------------

Tadic--------------Mane-----------Long

--------------------Pelle ------------------

So, pretty much same as OP (swapping Clyne/Bertrand, of course).

With Mane playing no.10 role, he could support Pelle more and give himself striking options. Opinion here seems to be that he prefers a central position.

I'm undecided about JWP. Rather bench him and use him as extra attacking option if needed. Same for Elia. Are they 'ard enough to start against Stoke? Or is that even the wrong question to ask? Maybe we should play our own game rather than trying to match toughies. In which case, could try:

Tadic----------JWP---Mane--------Elia

-------------------Pelle ------------------

Keep Long hungry, get him on to give tired Stoke legs the runaround in the last 20-30 mins.

I think both of them can play without the other, it depends what they're asked to do. Schneiderlin played second half without Wanyama without too many problems against Hull for a start.

What about keeping Yoshida in the team (I think he deserves it), bringing Clyne back in, and moving Alderweireld to midfield instead of the suspended Wanyama? Toby looked good there briefly earlier in the season.

If we need a second defensive midfielder (I'd suggest we do), Alderweireld would be my choice too. He also gives us a bit of an attacking threat as the only player who can shoot... :)

--------------------------Super Kelvin-------------------

Clyne-----------Fonte--------------Yoshida--------Bertie

-----------------------Alderweireld-----------------------

------------------JWP--------Schneiderlin----------------

--------------------------Tadic---------------------------

---------------------Pelle-------Mane-----------------

I like this.

If Alderweireld, Fonte and Yoshida are all in your line-up it would make more sense to play them as three centre backs, as we have already this season.

Which is basically what the formation above is. Just with Toby having the freedom to step forward into midfield if the fullbacks are tucked in.

I think Koeman will drop Mane again. Was largely ineffective on saturday plus koeman wasnt happy with him trying to go against team orders ref penalty. Koeman seems to have concerns about Mane's professionalism but he is still relatively young so hopefully he will mature in time. Every saints fan knows he isnt a winger and should play more central but koeman seems reluctant to play that system now. I would drop Davis and start Tadic and have Mane taking up the #10 role with Tadic and Long out wide. Recall clyne back to RB and Move Toby to CB where I think he will be needed more.

--------------K.DAVIS----------------

-------TOBY---FONTE---MAYA--------

CLYNE-------------------------B'RAND

---------MORGAN---PROWSEY--------

---------------TADIC-----------------

-----------PELLE----MANE------------

Subs: Gazza, Gardos, Targett, Reed, S.Davis, Elia, Long

That's how I would start personally. Stoke like to play wide and stuff the midfield, so we need to have bodies in that area to get proper control of the game. Tadic did very well when he came on against Hull, got in good areas and caused their defence problems. Need to have a proper creative influence behind the strikers otherwise they're going to have to drop deep to pick the ball up when really we want to try and get Mane in behind their slow defence.

Edited by SuperMikey

Davis

Clyne

Toby

Fonte

Bertrand

Morgan

Davis

JWP

Mane

Pelle

Tadic

Would go with this.

Will be a very tough game. Must win if there's any chance of a top four finish which in my opinion is very unlikely.

Davis

Clyne, Fonte, Alderweireld, Bertrand

JWP, Schneiderlin

Elia, Mane, Tadic

Pelle

I don't think JWP is effective in a deep position- too lightweight and not a great tackler- personally he plays well as a CM or a No. 10

Also, I wouldn't play Elia- don't think he brings much right now- would be a useful sub however.

A team that likes to think itself as one of the big clubs, but manly based on its pre 1970's history.

Really? Apart from a couple of 4th places either side of the War, I can't conceive of how anyone could ever consider Stoke as one of the big clubs. Even when Sir Stan joined them they were in Div 2. They have struggled to attract more than mod 20k on average, usually much less.

Schneiderlin was better in the second half against Hull without Wanyama.

Really? Apart from a couple of 4th places either side of the War, I can't conceive of how anyone could ever consider Stoke as one of the big clubs. Even when Sir Stan joined them they were in Div 2. They have struggled to attract more than mod 20k on average, usually much less.

I suppose so, but they always seem to me to be one of the old traditional clubs.

Because they won something in black and white and have won sod all in the past 40 years, probably. Ignoring the recent thuggery, the big ugly open new stadium and everything else that's very modern football about Stoke.

Davis

Clyne

Toby

Fonte

Bert

Morgan

Davis

Jwp

Mane

Pelle

Tadic

This for me, though difficult to drop Yoshida. I prefer Long as the impact sub. Good to have the quality.

God knows the result, could go either way. Need a win, probably be a draw.

I like the idea of pushing toby up to play alongside Morgan, and keeping a defence of Yoshi and Fonte to be honest. I just hope Yoshi can cope with Stokes physicality and the no doubt aimed passing to Crouchies head.

------------Davis-----------

Clyne Fonte Yoshi Bertrand

-Schneiderlin -Alderweireld-

Long -------JWP------Mane

-------------Pellè-----------

Edited by Smirking_Saint

I don't like that idea at all Smirking :thumbdown: I'm also not sure Crouchie's head is in their first XI at the mo :thumbup: Otherwise I agree with all of ur post. Except for the bit where Long is better right wing than Tadic :thumbdown: And the bit where Stephen Davies does not start :thumbdown:

I don't like that idea at all Smirking :thumbdown: I'm also not sure Crouchie's head is in their first XI at the mo :thumbup: Otherwise I agree with all of ur post. Except for the bit where Long is better right wing than Tadic :thumbdown: And the bit where Stephen Davies does not start :thumbdown:

Cheers bear, nice to know someone believes in me