Page 2231 of 2260 FirstFirst ... 12311731213121812221222922302231223222332241 ... LastLast
Results 111,501 to 111,550 of 112964

Thread: Pompey Takeover Saga

Quote Originally Posted by Pamplemousse View Post
    When Pompey families have to make a choice between our academy and theirs, if they want what's best for their sons, they will choose ours all day long. We get the best of Hampshire, Pompey academy get what we don't want.
    Their families are much more "close" than normal ones

2. Default

https://twitter.com/MichaelEisner9

Own up, who's behind this account?
    Brilliant. Cant wait for that during the season.
    The best parody online I have seen is the if a scouser was a commentator

When Pompey families have to make a choice between our academy and theirs, if they want what's best for their sons, they will choose ours all day long. We get the best of Hampshire, Pompey academy get what we don't want.
    True story. The current Skate U18ís have taken on two lads I use to teach on a 2 year apprenticeship. Both great lads in fairness but neither stood out in particular, not even at school.

Saints werenít interested but both would have jumped at the chance.

Their kids will wear our shirts, thereís no way back for them.

Passing Havant and Waterlooville's ground in the week I noticed they have a pre-season friendly against Pompey. I rather fancy H&W to win, and if it wasn't clashing with an event for my club it might have been fun to wander along and see just how bad they are.

I was there when Pancake went mad. 15/04/2010.

Have Pompey got any internationals going to the World Cup?

Quote Originally Posted by jawillwill View Post
    Have Pompey got any internationals going to the World Cup?
    Nope. According to their current squad, they don't actually have any foreigners.

Not sure if they have any former players there though.

Nope. According to their current squad, they don't actually have any foreigners.
    Ronan Curtis is not British.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Ronan Curtis is not British.
    He was born in England. Yes he identifies as Irish, but he's Anglo-Irish.

This is awkward.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kraken View Post
    This is awkward.
    Who woke you up?

Quote Originally Posted by suewhistle View Post
    Who woke you up?
    Some Greek geezer?

OK not Skate related, but it is exactly the sort of thing they would do, in their efforts to rewrite history

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44481033

'Trillion Trophy STadium' Amazing !

Pompey owners ready to spend big on Fratton Park

Somehow it's a matter of pride that they can afford essential maintenance to keep the tatty timber tabernacle from collapsing completely

And a nice Pompey at the World Cup article. Apparently, the Senegal Head Coach made 28 appearances for Pompey over a decade ago.

Anyone for bingo? This one is a cracker;

https://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/f...tite-1-8528005

16. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post

"house"

So what have I missed? Are they still rubbish?

Yep they're still enjoying real football in the backwaters, but they are going to spend big, big, big!

Mainly because they need a safety certificate and a pitch that drains, but they've dressed that up as some glorious future investment and the plucky faithful have translated that as a new 35k-seater stadium that will make the Harbourdome look like the Withdean.
    And re the new signing who is all excited because he saw the mighty blue army when he was a boy...I saw Slade when I was a boy but it doesn't make me want to team up with Dave Hill and tour in 2018.
    That would be crazee.

Quote Originally Posted by Crab Lungs View Post

Incredible the club is in League 1
    Humungous name
    To me, they are a Premier League club
    Others don't have the size and history of Portsmouth
    Success it warrants
    I can take myself back to the noise and atmosphere
    Wow, it's some noise
    It's a humungous club

They truly are a pathetic, pointless club these days who are there to merely make up the numbers.

Carabao Cup draw taking place now. Hopefully they get an easy opponent and will progress to the Second Round. Please let us play them this season footballing gods.

Wimbledon at home. Winnable tie.

No doubt their thicko fans will still sing "you've never won **** all" at them

22. Default

Wimbledon at home. Winnable tie.

No doubt their thicko fans will still sing "you've never won **** all" at them
    I think Wimbledon are fair game for such chants personally. After all, they have been in existence 10 years longer than the current football club that plays at Fratton Park.

Quote Originally Posted by LGTL View Post
    Incredible the club is in League 1
    I know! They should have gone down to the National League, like Luton.

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    And a nice Pompey at the World Cup article. Apparently, the Senegal Head Coach made 28 appearances for Pompey over a decade ago.
    Nice of them to point out that Portsmouth Community Football Club has never been represented at a World Cup.

25. Default

Some cracking fixtures to look forward to there fellow nutjobs

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post

Well thatís my Feb 16th sorted then.

Promotion party on 27th April... ?

28. Default

Quote Originally Posted by trousers View Post

FFS my Makem mate was going to stay at ours and we were both going to go. Itís 3 days before Xmas, useless ****s canít even get that right. I canít even go up there, as it clashes with Boscombe home.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

29. Default

Look forward to watching donny tonk them as usual at **** park

Blog Entries

Their new kit has been released... it's teamwear gash. Nike's Challenge II template, used by every decent Nike team for their third kit last season. As ever, it's now available for parks teams:

Comes with completely plain white shorts and completely plain red socks. I can't wait until Nike start sodding about with their colours because they only release one style of short and socks every two years...

And here it is completely unaltered for any old parks team at £32 a shirt (or £24 a shirt if you buy 14)... http://www.prodirectsoccer.com/produ...63-176520.aspx
    Last edited by The9; 22-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.

"Any old parks team" Oi, no need to be so disparaging! :-) By the time we've put on our sponsors logo, our team badge, numbers, Hampshire FA patch, etc, they end up expensive. My best friend doesn't even like football but I managed to persuade her to be the shirt sponsor before she really understood how much it would cost. Fortunately she's still smiling and talking to me..

Do you play, Sue?

Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Do you play, Sue?
    I can't say it's anything I've heard about before. It's brand new information.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by benjii View Post
    Do you play, Sue?
    I want to defend her here, I really do.... but it is rather tiresome.

Really, I'm sure I haven't mentioned it since last season, and this thread, if it's anything, is all about continuity and recurrent themes! :->>

If you really want the detail I play very little, off the bench. Would you like more detail? I'm not up to Heisenberg's or CB Fry's level of tiresomeness, or even, dare I say it The9s when it comes to all things to do with shirts, which is where we came in. But if I'm feeling stroppy I'm sure I can go completely OT and be as irrelevant to the topic as the rest of you are much of the time.

Blog Entries

Good points, Sue. I suppose that many other posters being so extremely monotonous has just become the norm, which is why I usually don't read them. When I see you have posted, I always make a point to read it. I don't know why I chimed in really!

Anyway, let me tell you about the beer I brew again.......

Play what? Tiddly winks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On another forum I'm on, I get complaints because I mention Southampton too much.

On another forum I'm on, I get complaints because I mention Southampton too much.
    Mumsnet can be harsh

Default Pompey Takeover Saga

They had a debate about safe standing in parliament. A Portsmouth MP spoke - within the opening sentence mentioned how Portsmouth have a prolific history of European and top flight football (cue the facepalm gif) and then made a joke about Southampton fans having to sit because the quality of football is poorer apparently.

Royston Smith hit back though with a few jibes of his own. Itís all on Hansard if any nutjobs want to take a look for themselves.
    Last edited by Pamplemousse; 27-06-2018 at 01:26 AM.

41. Default

They had a debate about safe standing in parliament. A Portsmouth MP spoke - within the opening sentence mentioned how Portsmouth have a prolific history of European and top flight football (cue the facepalm gif) and then made a joke about Southampton fans having to sit because the quality of football is poorer apparently.

Royston Smith hit back though with a few jibes of his own. It’s all on Hansard if any nutjobs want to take a look for themselves.
    In my 50 years of watching football, I can only recall Pompey playing European football on a couple of occasions in the seasons of when the taxpayer and charities funded it. What other time have they done so? I'm not talking pre season tours of Gibraltar etc

Royston Smith hit back though with a few jibes of his own. It’s all on Hansard if any nutjobs want to take a look for themselves.
    Even if you look past the false nature of that statement... how f*cking pathetic is it that an MP is making petty Portsmouth/Southampton jibes in a parliamentary debate

Ex Belgium, now IoW (I think it's still part of Europe, though!)

Quote Originally Posted by buctootim View Post
    Mumsnet can be harsh

I liked that one !

44. Default

Quote Originally Posted by igsey View Post
    Even if you look past the false nature of that statement... how f*cking pathetic is it that an MP is making petty Portsmouth/Southampton jibes in a parliamentary debate
    votes from his constituents. Those comments will have cemented some votes for him

Quote Originally Posted by OldNick View Post
    In my 50 years of watching football, I can only recall Pompey playing European football on a couple of occasions in the seasons of when the taxpayer and charities funded it. What other time have they done so? I'm not talking pre season tours of Gibraltar etc
    I think they did around 1957 when Pat Neal played on the left wing whilst attending Brockenhurst Grammar School. He also played for Hampshire Grammar Schools during the week. Mike Pratt from Swanage GS playing RB, had to mark him when they played us (Dorset GS) at Brockenhurst and we pulled his leg in the dressing room after that his opponent was playing for the Skates the previous week in Europe.

46. Default

Quote Originally Posted by rooney View Post
    I think they did around 1957 when Pat Neal played on the left wing whilst attending Brockenhurst Grammar School. He also played for Hampshire Grammar Schools during the week. Mike Pratt from Swanage GS playing RB, had to mark him when they played us (Dorset GS) at Brockenhurst and we pulled his leg in the dressing room after that his opponent was playing for the Skates the previous week in Europe.
    It could only have been in the Eurovision Song contest.

47. Default

1957!! that's before my time thanks very much, lol
    1968 onwards when I first started going to watch Saints as a young lad.

Blog Entries

Meanwhile, the Newport County (ha! got a mention in) forum I joined last year when Saints weren't even worth discussing hasn't mentioned me going on about Saints and Premier League football once. Somehow.

Blog Entries

This comprehensive wiki on English clubs in International competitions mentions them ONCE (2008/9). They also qualified in 2010 but forgot to pay anyone for anything and didn't get a licence and weren't allowed to play. Plus tbh they'd have been an embarrassment and probably wouldn't have been able to get a budget flight back once the bill came in.

FWIW, compared to their one, uno, ein, un... we've qualified for Europe nine times (though one was during the post-Heysel ban).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The9 View Post
    This comprehensive wiki on English clubs in International competitions mentions them ONCE (2008/9). They also qualified in 2010 but forgot to pay anyone for anything and didn't get a licence and weren't allowed to play. Plus tbh they'd have been an embarrassment and probably wouldn't have been able to get a budget flight back once the bill came in.

FWIW, compared to their one, uno, ein, un... we've qualified for Europe nine times (though one was during the post-Heysel ban).
    What! No mention of the Asia cup?