Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Just because a player doesn't sign, doesn't make any itk a liar. I'd be amazed if we weren't interested in him, and haven't been tracking him (especially when it looked like Swansea were going down), but more amazed if he actually signed. In the same bag as VvD to Everton imo . No ****img chance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IMO just like vvd is highly unlikely to go to a non champions league club unless things go very much sideways and we HAVE to get rid, like fonte, its highly unlikely nigh on impossible that siggurdson will come here. why? simply b/c he has much bigger clubs after him. aside from everton i reckon some of the other big boys may hold an interest in him.

I would dearly love this rumour to be true, but the analogy of "no different to three £15 million players" is flawed for the simple fact that it ignores wages. I imagine that GS could get well in excess of £100K per week elsewhere and once you start bringing one player in on considerably more than his team mates you either kick off huge wage inflation or breed resentment

Truth is we've spent around £40million every window for the last few years, it would be nothing new - only difference would be spending it on one player instead of several. If we thought that our squad needed that one player to take it up a notch and nothing else, i'd like to think we'd do it.

And by only signing one player rather than two or three, the wages should be cheaper as well which makes the spend easier to fit with expenditure rules. Still would be surprised if it happened.

Southampton are now into 7/4 from 25/1 to sign Patrick Roberts from Manchester City.

https://twitter.com/Oddschanger/status/887997155411099648 :suspicious:

Another player who just had a very good season at Celtic.

It isn't suspicious :suspicious:, there was a story in The Sun linking us with him. Random members of the public read the story, placed bets on it and the bookmakers reduced the odds. None of that means there is any truth to it.

Since promotion back to the Premier League, we haven't loaned a youngster from a top club (Bertrand wasn't a youngster he was 24 and with a view to buy). There is little benefit loaning and developing a 20 year old winger like Roberts for another club when we have a very talented 20 year old winger of our own in Josh Sims.

Haha you crack me up but am I laughing with you or at you? :suspicious:

Who said we'd loan him? I certainly didn't.

I would dearly love this rumour to be true, but the analogy of "no different to three £15 million players" is flawed for the simple fact that it ignores wages. I imagine that GS could get well in excess of £100K per week elsewhere and once you start bringing one player in on considerably more than his team mates you either kick off huge wage inflation or breed resentment

Fraser Forster has just signed a new five year deal, having signed one last year... coincidence?

Glasgow, you're changing your tune. You essentially called me a liar and a fantasist because you chose not to believe the information that I was passing on. Feel free to express your opinion of something happening, but do not bring into question my honesty and integrity - have a read of the Libel warning on this board. If you have an opinion worth listening to please PM me, and I'll be happy to share my opinion of you.

Oeuf! Go over easy, its fry-day ffs! You seem a little boiled.... I never called you a liar or a fantasist I just said that Gylfi Sigurðsson was not at Staplewood and you said he was.

If we are able to poached Gylfi then great ill be as eggcited as the next man.

We need more goals from the midfield and Sigurðsson would offer us some free range options. However he is in demand and a number of clubs will be scrambling for him.

You do crack me up mate.

Oeuf! Go over easy, its fry-day ffs! You seem a little boiled.... I never called you a liar or a fantasist I just said that Gylfi Sigurðsson was not at Staplewood and you said he was.

If we are able to poached Gylfi then great ill be as eggcited as the next man.

We need more goals from the midfield and Sigurðsson would offer us some free range options. However he is in demand and a number of clubs will be scrambling for him.

You do crack me up mate.

You said "I dont believe Sigurdsson was anywhere near Southampton today. I think egg made that up. He will need to explain why."

Don't call me a liar again. And stop trying to be funny, it doesn't suit you.

You said "I dont believe Sigurdsson was anywhere near Southampton today. I think egg made that up. He will need to explain why."

Don't call me a liar again. And stop trying to be funny, it doesn't suit you.

Careful he does`nt PM you claiming you are picking on him :scared:

I cant keep up with how we should feel with this GS rumour.

When he was linked with Everton we found articles showing he was a limited AM but now a friend of a friend has apparently seen someone driving a car from south wales who looks like him in Staplewood we are meant to be thinking he is mustard again.

To be fair I would expect our manager in line with a black box option to be brining in a young AM (from spain or argy) who can be eased into the team rotating with Davo for this position for about 10-15mil, i really cant think we would spend 40mil on a 28yr old player.

I'd be interested in us getting someone like Pablo Fornals of Malaga, he tackles, has skill, pace and scores goals.

He is rumoured to be interesting Arsenal but they already have too many midfielders.

Not quite up to date on this, is there anymore on the Sigurdson stuff other than what egg mentioned yesterday? Is this chat just based on someone saying they may have seen him drive into staplewood??? He's got quite a common face i'd say....

Anyone who isn't calling bull sheet needs their head looking at ! Not a chance in he'll us spunking over 40m on a player , let alone one who's not far from 30 years of age.

He is only 27 turns 28 in September. Like everyone else I struggle to imagine us paying 40 million for a player but the truth is in this brave new post bumper TV money world the club are going to have to start spending more just to keep up if you are a PL club you are going to get taken to the cleaners no matter where you shop even average squad players are going to cost £20 million the way the market is going.

Weird how you jump on this positive ITK post and yet leap to the defence of the negative ITK poster on the VVD thread, even stating that you hope for their sake that it's true.

You then proceed to lambast the people attacking the negative ITK post yet are doing just that to this chap.

Your double standards are pretty exposed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Call me Mystic H :)

The big issue with the VvD situation (as well as many others) is that it's going to hinder our business if we drag this out to the end of the window.

I'm assuming we will either stick to our hardball stance or we will give Liverpool a deadline to submit a bid by.

We've got a game of poker, with potentially £70m riding on it.

So, if a club meets our valuation of VVD and he does end up going, who could we realistically sign to replace him?

We will never be able to replace VvD's all around awesomeness. The primary attribute we would need to replace is aerial dominance, because that was the glaring weakness without him.

£60m plus Sakho, with Liverpool paying his wages.

Surprised the club didn't move to take on Zouma even for a season.

Who can say we didn't? Let's face it, we know squat about squat. I see many opinions voiced here as if the poster knew all the facts about everything. None of us can really say what really goes on. Tom 28 told us what was basicallly a fact and just got regally slagged off for his trouble. Me? I'm more worried about Hampshire's one day batting just now.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Who can say we didn't? Let's face it, we know squat about squat. I see many opinions voiced here as if the poster knew all the facts about everything. None of us can really say what really goes on. Tom 28 told us what was basicallly a fact and just got regally slagged off for his trouble. Me? I'm more worried about Hampshire's one day batting just now.

True. Maybe we did, bit of a worry if Stoke more appealing than us though if the case.

True. Maybe we did, bit of a worry if Stoke more appealing than us though if the case.

Chelsea probably just trust Mark Hughes more than an Argentine that they know nothing about. You just can't say. Perhaps they offered more money or a bigger salary share or a guarantee that he'd play every week.

Fonte has been very well covered. both Yoshi and Stephens played better than Fonte in his old age and now we have the young Polish guy, We will be overcrowded if we sign more fo the same. It's a creative midfield pivot we need

Palace are now linked with signing Chambers. They had previously been linked with signing Jaïro Riedewald from Ajax, and Bruno Martins Indi from Porto. Neither have signed to date. Didn't we have a rumour the other day about an imminent signing of an Ajax centre back? If we are now not expecting VVD to play for us this season, either as a result of being sold or simply not picked because he is in the wrong frame of mind, then either of these two former Palace targets would be useful additions

Palace are now linked with signing Chambers. They had previously been linked with signing Jaïro Riedewald from Ajax, and Bruno Martins Indi from Porto. Neither have signed to date. Didn't we have a rumour the other day about an imminent signing of an Ajax centre back? If we are now not expecting VVD to play for us this season, either as a result of being sold or simply not picked because he is in the wrong frame of mind, then either of these two former Palace targets would be useful additions

Worst case scenario about the VvD situation is that we sell and start doing our shopping at the worst time of the transfer window.

Worst case scenario about the VvD situation is that we sell and start doing our shopping at the worst time of the transfer window.

Precisely. Everton were on the front foot and had spent the lukaku money before they'd received it.

We will sell VVD late on and prices will shoot up as everyone will know we are desperate and flush.

We could have done all this quietly and with dignity. Letting it all play out with media and he said, she said nonsense makes us look amateur.

If dinlows on a football forum could see all this happening 2 months ago why couldn't the professionals that run our club.

#WeMarchOn

Coyr

Everton were on the front foot and had spent the lukaku money before they'd received it.

I think that's what Liverpool are trying to do with Coutinho money too.

Keita & VvD together at £70m a pop seems like a ton of money that they don't usually tend to spend.

Precisely. Everton were on the front foot and had spent the lukaku money before they'd received it.

We will sell VVD late on and prices will shoot up as everyone will know we are desperate and flush.

We could have done all this quietly and with dignity. Letting it all play out with media and he said, she said nonsense makes us look amateur.

If dinlows on a football forum could see all this happening 2 months ago why couldn't the professionals that run our club.

#WeMarchOn

Coyr

I would imagine the professionals in the club had a fair idea when he refused to attend the players awards. This won't be a surprise to them.

Fonte has been very well covered. both Yoshi and Stephens played better than Fonte in his old age and now we have the young Polish guy, We will be overcrowded if we sign more fo the same. It's a creative midfield pivot we need

Yoshida and Stephens weren't adequate to replace Fonte and Van Dijk, we just had to make do.

So you think Yoshida and Stephens and the young raw polish chap will be enough ? My opinion we are lightweight as fook in the centre back positions and need more quality there . We need another defensive midfield lump and and a attacking midfielder .......striker wise ...who knows what will happen! . A lot of other teams on our level our bringing in some quality players why we our looking a bit stale in my opinion.

Just like Alderweireld was

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

True, and equally Lovren before him. But Alderweireld and van Dijk are two of, if THE two best centre backs in the whole division, is it realistic to think that because we've pulled it off twice we are likely now to do it again?

To be honest, my post was mainly to support the fact that Yoshida & Stephens weren't adequate replacements. I think we have a chance of finding someone who is good, and can use leftover money to strengthen other areas of the team. It might yet make us stronger overall, but probably not at CB.

We are in need of a couple of signings who will come straight into the starting team in defence and centre midfield.

Everyone else is doing something and quite frankly we will just be left behind if we don't.

Our squad is solid enough but the quality of our current first XI is lower (without VVD) than since our first season in the PL which is disappointing given how much money we have generated.

Expectstions for the current team need to be realistic, top ten would be a superb achievement for Pellegrino given where we are now versus other sides.

True, and equally Lovren before him. But Alderweireld and van Dijk are two of, if THE two best centre backs in the whole division, is it realistic to think that because we've pulled it off twice we are likely now to do it again?

To be honest, my post was mainly to support the fact that Yoshida & Stephens weren't adequate replacements. I think we have a chance of finding someone who is good, and can use leftover money to strengthen other areas of the team. It might yet make us stronger overall, but probably not at CB.

As I've said previously Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk would have been sounded out when Mitchel was still at the club. Ross' record in the transfer market has been somewhat questionable if I'm honest. I'm not convinced Ross is the right man for that role, which is concerning giving our business plan of buy cheap, develop and sell high as your recuirtment has to be spot on.

Martins Indi was heavily linked to us a year or two ago and did well on loan at Stoke last year. Was terrific as part of the ten men who held out against us at their place. If VVD goes then he would be a good acquisition

As I've said previously Lovren, Alderweireld and Van Dijk would have been sounded out when Mitchel was still at the club. Ross' record in the transfer market has been somewhat questionable if I'm honest. I'm not convinced Ross is the right man for that role, which is concerning giving our business plan of buy cheap, develop and sell high as your recuirtment has to be spot on.

Mitchell probably selected Koeman as well.

Nice to know the club won't rule out trying to improve the team.

Yeah, aside from the random phone call on SSN, this is basically the 1st official comment we've made on transfers this summer, I believe.