Saints Transfers Thread - Deadline Day

Saint Charlie

Calum Chambers is back home tonight near Emsworth/Portsmouth...

Probably extended leave whilst Arsenal away but you never know

I've heard P*mpey have new wealth but surely Callum wouldn't sink that low?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Calum Chambers is back home tonight near Emsworth/Portsmouth...

Probably extended leave whilst Arsenal away but you never know

Well, he does look a bit like Sigurdsson, is a defender and plays for a team beginning with the letter 'A' (albeit not a Dutch one)...

Although Palace have had a £16m bid for him rejected.

Egg on your face if a lie.

Sigurdsson is massively out of our league

I would disagree, played at a club that has been threatened with relegation the last couple of seasons, while we have consistently finished in the top 10.

£45 million in this market is a good price in my eyes for a player that could take us to the next level, he's what we've been crying out for. I'd be happy if we signed nobody else and added gylfi.

I would disagree, played at a club that has been threatened with relegation the last couple of seasons, while we have consistently finished in the top 10.

£45 million in this market is a good price in my eyes for a player that could take us to the next level, he's what we've been crying out for. I'd be happy if we signed nobody else and added gylfi.

Perhaps i needed more detail.

I dont believe Sigurdsson was anywhere near Southampton today. I think egg made that up. He will need to explain why.

Furthermore i dont think we would pay out that much for any player let alone a guy thats nearly 28.

Yes he would definitely improve us, but thats not enough for us. Resale, resale, resale!!!

I also do not believe Sigurdsson would choose us over staying at Swansea or for other rumoured clubs like Everton.

For those reasons he is out of our league.

Chances of him visiting us today = ZERO

Chances of him joining us this summer = ZERO

Perhaps i needed more detail.

I dont believe Sigurdsson was anywhere near Southampton today. I think egg made that up. He will need to explain why.

Furthermore i dont think we would pay out that much for any player let alone a guy thats nearly 28.

Yes he would definitely improve us, but thats not enough for us. Resale, resale, resale!!!

I also do not believe Sigurdsson would choose us over staying at Swansea or for other rumoured clubs like Everton.

For those reasons he is out of our league.

Chances of him visiting us today = ZERO

Chances of him joining us this summer = ZERO

I don't appreciate anyone, not least a fool like you, suggesting I'm making stuff up. You do not have to believe what I have been told, but don't be calling me a liar on a public forum.

I've always loved GS and there's never been a better example of one single player changing the way our teams looks. Imagine this....

-----------Gabbiadini----------

----Boufal------------Redmond

-----------Sigurdsson----------

------Romeu--------JWP--------

Bert----VVD-----JS------Cedric

------------Forster--------------

Bench from: McCarthy, Yoshida, Tadic, Austin, Gallagher, McQueen, Davis, Sims, Hojbjerg, Long, Pied.

That team, along with the potential of our new manager, would be capable of great things.

I think the sighting was probably JB, can your source confirm what car he was driving? .

17 plate AMG. I asked if it was the polish fella and the response was 'would he buy his Mercedes in South Wales' so I'm assuming car dealer plates.

I don't appreciate anyone, not least a fool like you, suggesting I'm making stuff up. You do not have to believe what I have been told, but don't be calling me a liar on a public forum.

For what it's worth I tend to believe you although I might not have 6 months ago.

Nothing against your trustworthyness but it didn't seem like a Saints type move back then.

Oddly enough it's mainly Fraser's new contract that has me thinking that we're looking to spend money when it strategically suits us. As LeG has pointed out a quality No. 10 is the missing piece in the jigsaw so us being interested in Sigurdson as a marquee signing makes sense in the current context.

There was actually a 'scoop' in an Islandic paper back in February(ish) saying GS was in his way to us so it might not be completely out of the question. My Zlatan-loving Icelandic workmate sent me it back then with the obligatory witty comments about us finally getting our act together. I could dig that out and post it here lest I get the egg treatment but it might be more fun to what certain people go at me first and then post it. In any case I don't think GS is entirely out of the question because there has been smoke.

I've always loved GS and there's never been a better example of one single player changing the way our teams looks. Imagine this....

Bench from: McCarthy, Yoshida, Tadic, Austin, Gallagher, McQueen, Davis, Sims, Hojbjerg, Long, Pied.

That lineup is a dream

Would love the Siggo rumour to be true - perfect player for us - but seems unlikely, not least because Clement said yesterday he might stay, would be odd timing if he was at our training ground.

There was actually a 'scoop' in an Islandic paper back in February(ish) saying GS was in his way to us so it might not be completely out of the question. My Zlatan-loving Icelandic workmate sent me it back then with the obligatory witty comments about us finally getting our act together. I could dig that out and post it here lest I get the egg treatment but it might be more fun to what certain people go at me first and then post it. In any case I don't think GS is entirely out of the question because there has been smoke.

My mistake, it was late April.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.visir.is/g/2017170429953/southampton-komid-i-slaginn-um-gylfa

I know it's paper talk but Iceland has a small population, so I would tend to believe there is something in it a bit more than I would if it was printed in The Sun.

Would love it to be true but we aren't going to pay the £40-50m they want for him.

Sadly this seems true the massive inflation in player prices isn't doing our prefered method of recruitment any favours it's much harder to buy low, improve and sell high when everyone is just selling high...

That team, along with the potential of our new manager, would be capable of great things.

I think the sighting was probably JB, can your source confirm what car he was driving?

I should be privy to some snippets in these next few weeks.

And that line up is, for me, the reason I'd like to think this story has legs.

For those saying we'd never spend £40-50m on one player, I doubt you'd bat an eyelid if we spent £15m on 3 different ones. This season, for the first time, we've openly told other clubs - and our own players - nobody is going anywhere. We don't need to buy 2 or 3 this season, we've already done it last season (that front 3 would be like new signings this year having had time to gel and with GS behind them) . Just keep what we have and spend it all on one big signing that completes our jigsaw. That lineup (coupled with the fact that the law of averages says we can't fail to take so many chances again this season as we did last) and bench looks more than a top half ambition, that to me says serious top 5 challengers.

My mistake, it was late April.

Here is the link to the article: http://www.visir.is/g/2017170429953/southampton-komid-i-slaginn-um-gylfa

I know it's paper talk but Iceland has a small population, so I would tend to believe there is something in it a bit more than I would if it was printed in The Sun.

He's a player we have tracked and wanted for some time. I've no doubt that we enquired about his availability, however given the state of this transfer window and the fact that Swansea want c.£50m for him, I very much doubt that we would peruse him (and rightly so, IMO).

However that being said, £50m seems to be the benchmark for an above average player these days (look at Benteke to Palace for £30m last season, or Walker this season, and player values have only gone up since then). Perhaps Les and the board feel that a player valued at £50m today will be valued at £70m next summer.

Whilst £50m is a ridiculous amount of money to me and you, realistically it's probably the equivalent of a £20m player 2 years ago and we could defiantly afford it.

I'd love to see Sigurdsson in a saints shirt next season, however very much doubt that it'll happen.

Whilst it would be an amazing signing, I can't quite see it happening. If we ever spent £40-50 million on a player it would be on a wonderkid I reckon that we thought might be worth at least double that in 3-4 years, like we'd sign the next Aguero or something. For a 27 year old who'd likly have little re-sale value in 3 years seems unlikely.

Exactly the player we need though, a goal scoring centre-mid.

I'd be tempted to sell VVD for the £70 Million that's been rumoured and sink a load of that money into signing GS. We'd also have the J-Rod money and any money we had anyway. I don't want VVD to leave but he won't be here in 18 months so why not just sell him now when there's a player we could get who's EXACTLY what we need rather than waiting a year, probably getting a slightly lower fee and having to shop around again for unproven players. If we sell now, we'd be able to afford GS and a good replacement and another player too.

Though I did say I'd be tempted, my mind isn't definitely made up that that's what I want us to do. I'd be ecstatic if VVD stays. I just think if he does go this month, there's a silver lining.

I wouldn't want us to spend £40m on Sigurdsson. He's good, but not that good.

That's only looking at a third of the equation. He'd bring much needed goals and transitional play from midfield for us. Swansea will need the money to replace their best player to help them survive this season.

I can't see us almost trebling our record transfer for someone who'll be a few days off 28 by the start of the season. No resale value and no relation to our current business model.

Business models get tweaked as the market(s) change. Flexible and fluid businesses allow for that and succeed because they recognise the need, time and type of adaptation they have to implement. So for that reason I would not discount us buying a player for 30-40m. In my humble opinion GS is about as good a player as we can get who already knows and has performed exceptionally and consistently in the PL. If CP are happy to spend 30m on Benteke we should be happy to spend 40m on GS!! Because of the strength of our collective squad in terms of quality and contract length we have the financial capability to make a one-off signing of this type. Last summer was more about quantity of incoming because of the Europa League, but this summer is very much about getting quality in the form of 2 or maybe 3 players. AM and DM being the main two for me, although I think a CB who is clearly the partner for VVD would be the cherry on the icing if we were able to bring in GS and a decent DM.

I would rather see and it would make better sense for just this window that we spend 60-70 (gross) on 2 excellent players than the same on 5-6. It would certainly be a change in tact but the market is determining it.

Business models get tweaked as the market(s) change. Flexible and fluid businesses allow for that and succeed because they recognise the need, time and type of adaptation they have to implement. So for that reason I would not discount us buying a player for 30-40m. In my humble opinion GS is about as good a player as we can get who already knows and has performed exceptionally and consistently in the PL. If CP are happy to spend 30m on Benteke we should be happy to spend 40m on GS!! Because of the strength of our collective squad in terms of quality and contract length we have the financial capability to make a one-off signing of this type. Last summer was more about quantity of incoming because of the Europa League, but this summer is very much about getting quality in the form of 2 or maybe 3 players. AM and DM being the main two for me, although I think a CB who is clearly the partner for VVD would be the cherry on the icing if we were able to bring in GS and a decent DM.

I would rather see and it would make better sense for just this window that we spend 60-70 (gross) on 2 excellent players than the same on 5-6. It would certainly be a change in tact but the market is determining it.

Sounds a sensible viewpoint to me.

There is tweaking a business model and there is completely trashing it. I can see us spending 30 or 40 million on a player we really want, but it won't be on someone who will soon be 28 or carries that price tag because of the premier league premium. If we spend that sort of money on a single player it will be on a potential superstar in their early twenties from abroad.

There is tweaking a business model and there is completely trashing it. I can see us spending 30 or 40 million on a player we really want, but it won't be on someone who will soon be 28 or carries that price tag because of the premier league premium. If we spend that sort of money on a single player it will be on a potential superstar in their early twenties from abroad.
Or it could be the case that this is one identified position where an experienced quality player will make a difference. It's a question of balance and we can't have a team made up entirely of potential.

And maybe our new manager has had his say.

And of course with both clubs complaining about tapping up, it would be an excellent example of doing business quietly and correctly. The little teams fighting back against the PL bullies, though not suggesting that would be the reason for the transaction of course, but it would be funny if it happened, and would of course strengthen our team.

Or it could be the case that this is one identified position where an experienced quality player will make a difference. It's a question of balance and we can't have a team made up entirely of potential.

And maybe our new manager has had his say.

Truth is we've spent around £40million every window for the last few years, it would be nothing new - only difference would be spending it on one player instead of several. If we thought that our squad needed that one player to take it up a notch and nothing else, i'd like to think we'd do it.

That's not actually tweaking it though, its merely spending more than previously which is going to happen anyway over the next few years because of the market demands. The tweak is spending that amount NOW on an established player with little resale but immense contribution value to the present. It is not a trashing, its a business (and sporting) decision in the here and now. Big difference.

Benteke was only 25 when he signed for Palace. Had he done well, they'd have been able to sell him on at 28/29 (i.e. in his prime) for what they'd hope would be a huge margin above what they paid. As you state, business models get tweaked, but moving from a return-based model to spending regardless of sell-on value isn't a tweak, it's a complete reversal. Moreover, you say £30/40m for GS when a bid at the top end of the scale you propose has already been rejected.

I don't disagree with you that we should focus on adding 2 or 3 nailed-on first team signings rather than bulking out the squad. It's just that if they come, they're far more likely to be a) 25 or younger, b) from a foreign league and c) cost no more than about £20m apiece, max.

That's not actually tweaking it though, its merely spending more than previously which is going to happen anyway over the next few years because of the market demands. The tweak is spending that amount NOW on an established player with little resale but immense contribution value to the present. It is not a trashing, its a business (and sporting) decision in the here and now. Big difference.

Isn't that what buying Sigurdsson would be? Both us and Swansea are getting the same increase in revenue, so his price has gone up accordingly. But he should still be costing more or less the same as a % of revenue so what was stopping us from buying him before? It is trashing the business model because it is doing the complete opposite of what we have done over the last few years.

Tweeking the business model would be getting the next potential superstars, we haven't actually been doing that. We kind of stumbled on to Van Dijk, who would have guessed a then 24 CB playing in Scotland would become so good, but we have been getting players that may become sub elite. The tweak would be to use our extra financial muscle (which we now have relative to everyone outside the PL) to now get those with the potential to be the very best, or at least absolute certainties to become at least as good as Mané rather than just maybe reaching that level.

Clubs like us don't go far buying established players but by buying players who will become more than what they are when they are bought. It is what allows clubs like Monaco to beat PSG to the fench league title and reach the Champions League semis, it is even true for the likes of Spurs (the fact that we were the second youngest team last season is sometimes used around here as a reason for our underperformance. Curiously, the fact that the youngest team was the one that finished second is conveniently left out).

I like the Siggurdsson rumour. Part of the interest in this forum is, if someone sees something interesting, they post it. It reads to me like the info was provided here in good faith, and not without a little trepidation based on the reception many ITKs get on here. I hope it's true and not mistaken identity. It's not wildly unrealistic to suggest that a player from Swansea would want to come here notwithstanding reported interest from Everton, and he would be one hell of an addition. He's already had one sub-optimal experience at one of the big clubs. The reported price tag sounds like it's well outside the usual range of Saints signings, but this is already shaping up to be a crazy summer.

Egg on your face if a lie.

Sigurdsson is massively out of our league

Weird how you jump on this positive ITK post and yet leap to the defence of the negative ITK poster on the VVD thread, even stating that you hope for their sake that it's true.

You then proceed to lambast the people attacking the negative ITK post yet are doing just that to this chap.

Your double standards are pretty exposed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weird how you jump on this positive ITK post and yet leap to the defence of the negative ITK poster on the VVD thread, even stating that you hope for their sake that it's true.

You then proceed to lambast the people attacking the negative ITK post yet are doing just that to this chap.

Your double standards are pretty exposed here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didnt defend or support either post, so maybe you need to read again.

I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of the SWF.

For the record I personally tend to rate "ITK"posts on a scale of probability.

The Siggurdsson ITK exclusive scored a 1.2

The VVD ITK story scored a 5.1

Unfortunately whether you like it or not there is a far bigger chance of VVD striking than us splashing 40m on Sigurdsson.

#WeMarchOn

COYR

I didnt defend or support either post, so maybe you need to read again.

I was simply pointing out the hypocrisy of the SWF.

For the record I personally tend to rate "ITK"posts on a scale of probability.

The Siggurdsson ITK exclusive scored a 1.2

The VVD ITK story scored a 5.1

Unfortunately whether you like it or not there is a far bigger chance of VVD striking than us splashing 40m on Sigurdsson.

#WeMarchOn

COYR

Glasgow, you're changing your tune. You essentially called me a liar and a fantasist because you chose not to believe the information that I was passing on. Feel free to express your opinion of something happening, but do not bring into question my honesty and integrity - have a read of the Libel warning on this board. If you have an opinion worth listening to please PM me, and I'll be happy to share my opinion of you.

Edited by egg