The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/27/southampton-close-to-appointing-claude-puel-as-new-manager

No clear source here, but the writer doesn't usually just recycle rumour.

The writer seems to be "Press Association".

Which isn't a bad thing for its varacity.

I will really try to be excited about this appointment but I don't think I can.

I'm not excited but perhaps that's good to dampen the expectations then BOOM he stays for 4 years gets top 6 3/4 times with one top 4 finish and a FA cup win to boot.

He does have a good record of purchasing and bringing though young talented players that is for sure.

I would imagine given the options, Ben Arfa will be off to Seville!! Interesting to see if Remi, sorry Claude has any pulling power?

The pulling power off managers is heavily over done lots of players move for opportunity and wages banging on about managers is something they save for their first club interviews.

I would like this happen - he has skills, is attack minded and can score. This would be our Mane replacement I guess. I hope it happens.

Wouldn't he be more a JWP/Davis position, rather than a winger? One thing we have lacked for years, is an central midfielder who scores goals.

Sent from my E6553 using Tapatalk

Alan Brazil just mentioned that he'd heard that Brendan was trying to get out of his Celtic contract to take the Saints job!

I'd take him over Puel. Would outclass Steve Bruce in managerial turncoatery. And may result in him being kneecapped.

Alan Brazil just mentioned that he'd heard that Brendan was trying to get out of his Celtic contract to take the Saints job!

We are already Liverpools feeder club, we don't need to turn into their B team as well, what with Joe Allen being linked, now Rodgers, we'll be picking up Skrtel of them next.

SOUTHAMPTON NEAR PUEL DEAL

Talks remain ongoing between Southampton and the former Nice head coach Claude Puel as a deal to appoint him as successor to Ronald Koeman edges closer.

An announcement confirming his arrival at St Mary’s will be made by the end of the week, according to Sky sources.

The 54-year-old led unfancied Nice to within two points of Champions League in France last season and we understand that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger advised the Saints during the process.

Talks remain ongoing between Southampton and the former Nice head coach Claude Puel as a deal to appoint him as successor to Ronald Koeman edges closer.

An announcement confirming his arrival at St Mary’s will be made by the end of the week, according to Sky sources.

The 54-year-old led unfancied Nice to within two points of Champions League in France last season and we understand that Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger advised the Saints during the process.

That last bit is interesting.

Very. Could we get Arsene involved in some way?

Nah, it just means we faxed him for a reference. Arsene confirmed he was only off sick 7 out 365 days a year and was late for work 3 times whilst he worked for him.

Could Arsene also advise about selling us Chambers and Ox-Chamberlain back?

Not really sure what to think about this, must respect Wenger for his standing and achievement in the game, but at the same time there is his almost neglect of signing players in positions where he needs them.

How is this taking so long though? He's not at any club so what is the hold up, I thought we interviewed him like a week ago.

Hope we asked about Oxo at the same time - now that would give us all a lift - impossible dream I know but after last night straw clutching required.

Nah, it just means we faxed him for a reference. Arsene confirmed he was only off sick 7 out 365 days a year and was late for work 3 times whilst he worked for him.

when he was off sick, did his mum say he was a bit puely?

For your on-boarding process, you need;

1. Address history for the previous 20 years

2. Employment history since you were born

3. Your father's employment history

4. References from people who have worked with you in the last 20 years, but not anyone who is considered a friend

5. Your complete health records

6. Any history of operations

7. Security clearance and a CRB check, with complete criminal history

8. Identification of any relations that may or may not be Russian or have visited Russia.

Failing delivery of those 8 items;

1. A chat with Wenger will suffice, by email.

Why on earth are De Boer's odds coming in? Not anything significant but why would anyone bet on him now? Crazy.

Because some people will bet on anything thinking that they're smarter than the whole wide world. Perhaps they actually are.

Puel hasn't been confirmed yet for a reason.....and whilst that limbo remains odds will change and bookies will rub their hands.

Because some people will bet on anything thinking that they're smarter than the whole wide world. Perhaps they actually are.

Puel hasn't been confirmed yet for a reason.....and whilst that limbo remains odds will change and bookies will rub their hands.

When it comes to betting then, there must be some out there worse than me. And that's saying something! Bookies dream.

When it comes to betting then, there must be some out there worse than me. And that's saying something! Bookies dream.

Negociations seem to be ongoing, now to me that would say that one of the parties is playing hardball over some point or other. Perhaps it's the club on staff, perhaps it's Puel on Ben Arfa who can possibly know that isn't privvy to the details of the negociations. Puel is my experience gets his way on most things, if not he doesn't hang about in endless talks hoping that something will change. It should not be forgotten that he was all set to re-sign at Nice a month or so back, something displeased him there or attacted him elsewhere and he cut the parlies short in an instant.

Anyone else concerned this could be another Remi Garde??

It's the lazy comparison to make (and I did it to ;)) but this Puel guy has done more than Garde in his managerial career. Also just about any manager you care to name would have done badly at the basket case of a club that is Villa. The whole set up at saints is far more supportive to give a manager here every chance of success.

About time we got this over the line. We have lost VW and Mane (not unexpectedly), but need the manager in place to get any other players considering moving away back on board.

If we go on to lose Pele, Long, Bertrand who's names have popped up in the media, we could end up in a sorry state.