The New, New, New Manager Thread

St Chalet

Puel to us is the final stage of his grooming and road testing, to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal in 2-3 seasons.

Awesome, he will have to have done a fantastic job at Saints for that time for the Arse to still want him.

Presumably because it was what 8 years ago?

So, what difference does that make really. It's a logical progression and he did some pretty good things there. CL quarters I think, signed Hazard from Belgium etc. Puel is a good manager and I hope he finally gets the job.

Big decision by Les & Co to get the manager deal right, however it is starting to get a bit tedious now.

Why is it tedious? You've just said it is important to get it right. The players aren't even back on the training ground and the only two players that have left are those who were likely to no matter who was our Manager. We're clearly active in looking to appoint so I don't think the club can be criticised at all at this stage.

I am more interested to see what we spend our pennies on in the transfer market. I have the expectation that the club will spend sensibly but invest all in the team that it can - so when you consider the increased revenue from commercial deals and the TV money along with the sales I expect significant investment in the team one way or another. And I don't mind if a part of that is new deals for existing players (as we have already done so for three important players).

Mopo was sacked by Espanyol with his team rock bottom and useless fodder

He came here played the "Southampton way" and did great (as I predicted)

Let's not jump to conclusions let's give the guy a year or two before we pass judgement

I trust Reed not Co to pick the right man

I'm with Heisenburg. If Puel has been picked by Les Reed and the appointment panel it will be because the assessment they've made makes him the best applicant for the job AND, that places him above Pellegrini for what is wanted at Southampton. Those involved in the selection process have all the information that onlookers don't have, so their decision should be respected and the new manager given massive support.

Puel to us is the final stage of his grooming and road testing, to replace Arsene Wenger at Arsenal in 2-3 seasons.

1 year? Seems that Arsene is being touted for the England job!!

Anyway, Martin Samuel. I left a couple of messages on that article which unsurprisingly were not published. I mentioned that maybe he should actually get off his fat arse and go down to Saints and talk to them to find out what's what rather than sitting in his office writing snide articles. I also said that surely it was time to bury the hatchet over the libel case with Lowe, as that was a spat at a different time with a different company.

But looking at Puel at Lyon 2008-2011. He was criticised for not winning the league, something that they did 7 times in a row before he arrived, never while he was there, and never since he has left.

2008-09 3rd behind Bordeaux and Marseille

2009-10 2nd behind Marseille

2010-11 3rd behind Lille and Marseille

So from having been on a 7 title winning run, things do look bad. But not having won it since also says something. Looking at the transfers - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/olympique-lyon/alletransfers/verein/1041 - while losing some key players, he spent big. So on paper, Samuel might have a point. I am sure that there is more to it than that. Marseille for example were also big spenders and notably finished above them all 3 seasons.

So to Nice, a team lurking at the bottom half of the league finishing 17th the season before. He then takes them to 13th, 4th, 17th, 11th and 4th again. So two notable finishes, a couple of meh and one awful one. Transfer wise, he was probably in the black by about £10m over the 5 years so achieved well on limited resources, something the Fat reporter over looks.

1 year? Seems that Arsene is being touted for the England job!!

Anyway, Martin Samuel. I left a couple of messages on that article which unsurprisingly were not published. I mentioned that maybe he should actually get off his fat arse and go down to Saints and talk to them to find out what's what rather than sitting in his office writing snide articles. I also said that surely it was time to bury the hatchet over the libel case with Lowe, as that was a spat at a different time with a different company.

But looking at Puel at Lyon 2008-2011. He was criticised for not winning the league, something that they did 7 times in a row before he arrived, never while he was there, and never since he has left.

2008-09 3rd behind Bordeaux and Marseille

2009-10 2nd behind Marseille

2010-11 3rd behind Lille and Marseille

So from having been on a 7 title winning run, things do look bad. But not having won it since also says something. Looking at the transfers - http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/olympique-lyon/alletransfers/verein/1041 - while losing some key players, he spent big. So on paper, Samuel might have a point. I am sure that there is more to it than that. Marseille for example were also big spenders and notably finished above them all 3 seasons.

So to Nice, a team lurking at the bottom half of the league finishing 17th the season before. He then takes them to 13th, 4th, 17th, 11th and 4th again. So two notable finishes, a couple of meh and one awful one. Transfer wise, he was probably in the black by about £10m over the 5 years so achieved well on limited resources, something the Fat reporter over looks.

So, effectively, he destroyed Lyon's dominance of the French league and his career has never really recovered from that disaster. Even ex-Pompey manager, Alain Perrin was more successful there.

So, effectively, he destroyed Lyon's dominance of the French league and his career has never really recovered from that disaster. Even ex-Pompey manager, Alain Perrin was more successful there.

Actually I just looked at that, Lyon's record;

Ligue 1

Winners (7): 2001–02, 2002–03, 2003–04, 2004–05, 2005–06, 2006–07, 2007–08

Then Puel had them, 3rd, 2nd, 3rd.

Weird - did they sell loads of players or did the other teams suddenly up their game leaving the league looking less like Celtic walking the Scottish Prem? Genuine questions as I, like most people, have no f**king clue about the French league, French club status (apart from PSG and they weren't winning the league despite their money????) or Puel. This isn't 'picking on Puel', it's just trying to learn more about semi-relevant history.

This should be passed on to Les Reed. Such an astute opinion is bound to trump any of the due diligence being carried out by the appointment panel.

He's not a particularly inspiring choice as a manager, especially when looking at his statistical record. I can think of 4 other realistic options I would have picked over him. He also clearly wasn't our first choice which doesn't bode too well...

However, given our recent track record with new managers I'll certainly give him the benefit of the doubt and trust the decision to appoint him! Hopefully he'll do well and won't take us backwards.

Ironically, Ben Arfa went from Lyon to Marseille at that point.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

And Benzema must have followed suit to Madrid the season after. Aulas cashes in on his players regularly. Their new stadium didn't pay for itself. It cost 480 million euros or so, so much in the same way as Arsenal it hampered their side for a good few years, even before it was even started. Once the agreement was received in 2008 everything was for the Stadium. think there was about 180 million euros of public money and the rest was financed by the OL. Not an expert on that though.

It has recovered. I heard he was being lined up for a job with a top 6 premier league club

(i mean us)

That might be one way of looking at it. But look at the gap at the top and how many points they won the league by

01/02 - 2 points (to Lens) NB only 18 teams in the league before changing to 20 for 02/03

02/03 - 1 point (to Monaco)

03/04 - 3 points (to PSG)

04/05 - 12 points (to Lille)

05/06 - 15 points (to Bordeaux)

06/07 - 17 points (to Marseille)

07/08 - 4 points (to Bordeaux)

In 08/09 Bordeaux one the leauge by 3 points, 9 points ahead of Lyon

So there were 3 seasons where Lyon were so far in front of everyone else that yes, they were dominant. Then the season before Puel took over, it was back to being close again. But for the 3 years where the gap was double digits (and presumably what Samuels basis his thoughts on), Lyon really weren't dominant. 1-4 point winning gap is not dominating. And the teams that won the league when he was in charge of Lyon - Bordeaux, Marseille, Lille, with Marseille finishing 2nd when the other 2 won it and Lyon came 3rd.

And Benzema must have followed suit to Madrid the season after. Aulas cashes in on his players regularly. Their new stadium didn't pay for itself. It cost 480 million euros or so, so much in the same way as Arsenal it hampered their side for a good few years, even before it was even started. Once the agreement was received in 2008 everything was for the Stadium. think there was about 180 million euros of public money and the rest was financed by the OL. Not an expert on that though.

Side track

Their stadium is amazing (first time googling it)

Side track

Their stadium is amazing (first time googling it)

When you have to find 300 million euros for a stadium nothing is a "side track". Lyon sell any player who is coming to the end of his contract, doesn't look like renewing and and to whom a big price tag can be attached. Wait up, that sounds quite familiar really doesn't it. Might as well apppoint a manager who's used to it.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Window Cleaner

Stadium cost 480 million, some public money, rest from the OL.

Makes you realise what a bargain SMS was for £30m. SMS cost around £950 per seat. OL stadium cost around £7,500 per seat - even allowing for inflation that is a massive difference. Both have good sight lines, a good pitch, toilets and a roof. Is it really worth all the extra money to create an architect's wet dream for a building which is used for a few hours maybe 25 times a year - and then financially hobbling the team for years?

Edited by buctootim
dates

Makes you realise what a bargain SMS was for £30m. SMS cost around £950 per seat. OL stadium cost around £7,500 per seat - both built roughly the same time. Both have good sight lines, a good pitch, toilets and a roof. Is it really worth all the extra money to create an architect's wet dream for a building which is used for a few hours maybe 25 times a year - and then financially hobbling the team for years?

Olympique Parc was only completed at the end of last year and the first match was in January of this year. If they'd built it

10 or 12 years ago as was SMS then it would have cost a damn sight less I expect. Still not 30 million £ though, then again it isn't a flat pack 32K seater stadium.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Olympique Parc was only completed at the end of last year and the first match was in January of this year. If they'd built it

10 or 12 years ago as was SMS then it would have cost a damn sight less I expect. Still not 30 million £ though, then again it isn't a flat pack 32K seater stadium.

Yep I realised that after I posted. Still only 11 years though - inflation would have only been maybe 30-40% in that time. Its a beautiful stadium, much prettier than SMS - but it was around 5 times the price per seat even allowing for inflation. I just think it owes more to a vanity project than to best use of money for a football club.

What a prize tool this bloke is and how easily his arguments can be picked apart, as already demonstrated by several other responses on here.

By a logical extension, if he lauds the performance of O'Neill for the successful campaign of getting an unfancied NI team so far in the European Championships, then why hasn't he argued that we would be even better off appointing the part time manager/part time dentist that runs the Iceland team to even greater success.

Why isn't Puel put off from accepting the role at Southampton, when they perennially sell off their best players every summer, the fat oaf asks. Well, could it be that recent history proves that we manage to do that, increase the bank balance and rise through the league subsequently, to the point where we actually overtake the glory club who has bought most of those players?

At least it does penetrate his skull that we have appointed another manager previously whose record before he came here wasn't exemplary and who nevertheless did pretty well. Samuels has so much egg on his face, I am surprised that he doesn't just cut his losses and save himself further embarrassment when we will prove him wrong once more.

Mopo was sacked by Espanyol with his team rock bottom and useless fodder

He came here played the "Southampton way" and did great (as I predicted)

Let's not jump to conclusions let's give the guy a year or two before we pass judgement

I trust Reed not Co to pick the right man

ROTFL!!!

Who here, including you, is going to give him one whole season, LET ALONE TWO!, before passing judgement on the new manager

"Samuel was voted Sports Writer of the Year at the British Press Awards in 2007 and 2013, Sports Journalist of the Year at the SJA Sports Journalism Awards in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2013, Sports Journalist of the Year at the 'What The Papers Say' awards in 2002, 2005 and 2006 and Sports Commentator of the Year at the Editorial Intelligence Comment Awards in 2014. In 2012, Samuel was named top in a UK Press Gazette poll of Britain's best sports journalists. In January 2015, he was named in Debrett's List of the 500 Most Influential People in Britain."

Samuel is usually very pro-Saints, but he is a very good judge of managers and doesn't think Puel is good enough for us.

"Samuel was voted Sports Writer of the Year at the British Press Awards in 2007 and 2013, Sports Journalist of the Year at the SJA Sports Journalism Awards in 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010 and 2013, Sports Journalist of the Year at the 'What The Papers Say' awards in 2002, 2005 and 2006 and Sports Commentator of the Year at the Editorial Intelligence Comment Awards in 2014. In 2012, Samuel was named top in a UK Press Gazette poll of Britain's best sports journalists. In January 2015, he was named in Debrett's List of the 500 Most Influential People in Britain."

Samuel is usually very pro-Saints, but he is a very good judge of managers and doesn't think Puel is good enough for us.

Like your pro Les Reed I suppose.

He is not Pro Saints from the stuff I've read in the past.

He absolutely isn't pro saints, I'm not one to usually say "this journalist hates us, this pundit hates us" but Samuel has disliked us for years.

You sound like you blowing your own trumpet?

Wait hang on a minute ;)

Since when ?

He puts the odd phrase in to suggest so whilst the general tone of his articles about Saints tell of impending doom, meltdowns and disaster !

6/10

Some (strange) people might say you are good sensible poster but !!...