Fonte Transfer Rumours

Master Bates

The captaincy thinking could possibly to have a midfielder rather than defender with potentially more influence on the game overall.

And isn't he captain of his national side already?

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

I don't buy that. No need to change the skipper unless there are off field issues.

Skipper in football is a non-descript job anyway

Davis will start virtually every game when fit. For me, he's one of the automatic choices, along with Forster, Bertrand, VVD, Long and Fonte (??!!).

Sent from my D6503 using Tapatalk

In your team maybe. I wonder if Puel will feel the same.

Probably a normal midfield of Hojbjerg Romeu Davis/JWP/Clasie

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Throw in, puncheon, cork, gaston, boruc

Toby was here and was a huge hit but only on loan.

Pochettino and his team

Ronald Koeman and his team

Have all left for various reason. Completely and totally unprecedented in this league

So it continues......

Check you out you trend spotter you.

Not sure why we would make VVD captain when Fonte is still a current 1st team player.

He wants to stay...club wants him to stay (apparently)....fans want him to stay = strip him of the captaincy ???????? how the fookin hell does that work out ?

Seems to me like we are trying to force him out thinking we can cash in before he is too old

Fonte wants to go and he will, to Utd as reported.

So just to confirm none of us having a ****ing clue what's going on...;)

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Pochettino and his team

Have all left for various reason. Completely and totally unprecedented in this league

So it continues......

Clear off then, you obviously dont like it ...or perhaps you do so you can moan....

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Pochettino and his team

So it continues......

You omit to mention any "ins" - who contributed to a higher league placing each season. I guess this snippet does not support your view of the continued demise of the "spirit of Southampton".

You are tiresome

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Pochettino and his team

So it continues......

He loves his list, he does.

You omit to mention any "ins" - who contributed to a higher league placing each season. I guess this snippet does not support your view of the continued demise of the "spirit of Southampton".

You are tiresome

I feel your pain old boy. I guess it's really easy for some to forget that we've progressed year on year, and whilst I don't believe we'll always improve our PL standing, I do believe there will come a point where we consistently qualify for Europe.

We are a level 4 club with level 2/3 ambitions. We will continue to lose players to level 2 sides and this is almost unavoidable. We can reduce this by becoming a level 3 side.

Europe is not a pull for players, wages and medal opportunities are..... simple as that.

Here's a list for batman

Milk

Eggs

Yoghurt

Apples

Bananas

Grapes

Cheese

Peppers

Lettuce

Tomato

Pasta

Bog roll

Pepsi Max

Squash (apple & blackcurrant)

Tuna

Golden syrup

Plain flour

When I paid for these earlier the checkout assistant in Lidl started complaining that they couldn't keep all of their stock because people kept buying it. The store owner cam over and reassured her it didn't matter because they'd have some other stock soon to replace it.

In the last 3 years.

Lambert

Chambers

Clyne

Shaw

Morgan

Wanyama

Lovren

Mane

Pelle

Lallana - captain

Fonte (maybe) - captain

Pochettino and his team

So it continues......

We have a talent for finding talent that's for sure. Keeping them, well that's a huge problem and that list is depressing to read.

I wonder if the recruitment team and Reed earn some % on player sales??? :rolleyes: :suspicious::suspicious::suspicious:

We are a level 4 club with level 2/3 ambitions. We will continue to lose players to level 2 sides and this is almost unavoidable. We can reduce this by becoming a level 3 side.

Europe is not a pull for players, wages and medal opportunities are..... simple as that.

What's all this ballox about levels? Level 4 is League 2 or is this your own level system?

What's all this ballox about levels? Level 4 is League 2 or is this your own level system?

Club levels are talked about by professionals and agents.

Level 1 clubs: Real Madrid, Barcelona, Bayern

Level 2 clubs: Man United, Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea

Level 3 clubs: Everton, WHU, Leicester

Level 4: Saints, Swansea, Watford, Palace

Levels are determined by medal potential and wages paid.

We typically only sell players to level 2 sides. Teams in level 3 sell / lose less players to level 2 clubs

So they want wages and medals from where? Asia? South America? What level is that? I tried to Google 'Level 3' and got no relevant hits. Where can I find the definitive list of 'levels'?

Yet Europe provides exactly each of the above - wages can increase as can bonuses (both as incentives to perform well) and international competitions quite obviously provide further medal opportunities. So, actually, Europe is a very strong pull for players. This isn't even mentioning the increased exposure of the club to wider markets, and theoretically a stronger team to play alongside (having justified a position in Europe). So, quite simply, you're wrong.

And if we're going to arbitrarily categorise each club into groups (which, by the way, is nonsense on stilts), then being in Europe surely places us in a more attractive position than, say, other 'level 4' clubs who only play domestically therefore allowing us a quicker transition into 'level 3'. But again, on what variables are you placing clubs into each group? To talk about level 2 and 3 ambitions is pure rubbish. The club will have expectations and targets in place relative to what they hope to achieve, as would every other club - wanting to 'break into the next level' is such a childish way of initiating a strategic road map for something as complex and competitive as the Premier League.

Just how many levels are there in the footballing pyramid considering we've been 6th & 7th in the past two seasons??

Last season 86 teams finished below us in the "Football League" alone!

Just how many levels are there in the footballing pyramid considering we've been 6th & 7th in the past two seasons??

Last season 86 teams finished below us in the "Football League" alone!

Five levels in the premiership. Level 5 includes Burnley, Hull. Also includes a few championship clubs like Newcastle

he wont be sitting on anyones bench. otherwise, we would not be bothered about him leaving.

He will start plenty of games for any club above us (from last season)

He is better than Lovren, Chambers, Holding, Mertesaker, Mangala, Blind, phil f-ing jones, Cahill, Sakho, Klaven.

Spurs are about the only team he would not get in the 1st 11. but they wont want him

The strongest reports I've seen are that he'd go to Man Utd where he'd be behind Bailly and Smalling in the pecking order. Man Utd are reportedly after him as a squad player which means spending plenty of time on the bench compared to being the first name on the teamsheet here.

I'd be bothered if he left as it leaves a huge void for Saints to fill, whether he's a star signing or a squad filler for another team is irrelevant from my perspective, not sure why it would matter to us?

The strongest reports I've seen are that he'd go to Man Utd where he'd be behind Bailly and Smalling in the pecking order. Man Utd are reportedly after him as a squad player which means spending plenty of time on the bench compared to being the first name on the teamsheet here.

I'd be bothered if he left as it leaves a huge void for Saints to fill, whether he's a star signing or a squad filler for another team is irrelevant from my perspective, not sure why it would matter to us?

It bothers us because we are strengthening our rivals, which will potentially cost us points when we play them. Fonte is the rock on which our team is built. He would fill the same role for Mournho at Man United that Terry filled at Chelsea. I cannot believe how much some Saints fans underrate Fonte.

Can you detail these groupings further? I mean, you're going to have to be more specific than that.

A clubs level will be determined by how desirable and appealing they are. Mix of how much they pay and how realistic they will challenge and win medals.

We are level 4 simply as we do not pay a premium premiership wage. We could easily step upto level 3 and combined with our recent prem finishes and pedigree for improving players could become a very desirable club.

Reed talked openly last May about doing our transfer business early. We failed to do this as we will not reassess the wages on offer. Makes negotiations much harder and you will need to convince players we are a good springboard and agree that players can move on if they are attracting level 2 sides

A clubs level will be determined by how desirable and appealing they are. Mix of how much they pay and how realistic they will challenge and win medals.

We are level 4 simply as we do not pay a premium premiership wage. We could easily step upto level 3 and combined with our recent prem finishes and pedigree for improving players could become a very desirable club.

I agree that financial capabilities and competitiveness are two factors in a club's desirability, but overall I think you're trying too hard to categorise, unnecessarily pigeonholing different teams into somewhat arbitrary categories. In reality, there are myriad qualifications that affect a club's desirability to players (if we are to regard desirability as being determined on the extent to which they can attract players).

Here are what I believe to be some factors in whether or not a club is deemed attractive or not to a player, in no any particular order:

• What are the wages on offer?
  • What are the club's financial prospects for the future?
  • What's the scale of the club's profile - i.e. are they internationally, domestically, etc. recognised?
  • Do they have a track record of success, relative to their own standings and reasonable expectations?
  • Do they have an active or passive presence in International competitions?
  • Will my career progress further after being successful at this club?
  • What is my agent's/family's opinion on this transfer?
  • Where is the club located geographically, as well as specifically in what league?
  • What is the current team like there, and do I know anyone there?
  • Will I thrive under the manager?
  • Will my own International opportunities expand?
  • What other opportunities are available, and do I need to make a move now?
  • What are my own priorities in a move?
  • With all things considered, is it a better place to be than a) my current club, or b) other clubs who are interested in my services?

So, again, reasons for a club's attractiveness are based on myriad qualifications relevant to both the player and the club. The list above is by no means exhaustive. The main thing is that one cannot ever simply say X club can pay more and have more medal opportunities, so are therefore X club is always going to be more attractive to players. You might say that on average players regard those factors as more important than others, so therefore they have more weight. But that doesn't mean that it applies to every single player out there. Being perhaps a bit too generous to players on multi-million pound contracts, I dare say it only applies to less than a majority of them.

If you can't be bothered to read all that then tl;dr in short, I agree with S-Clarke.

Stop chatting **** Glasgow.

You can't deny that we have an ambition to find and sell (for a profit) players to the top 6/7 clubs in the premiership?

But surely even Kat and Les must realize that they need the shop window of the Premier League in order to keep doing that and that if they sell too many of our best players this summer, they'll risk losing it. Why the hurry to rake in all the cash now? Is Kat planning to sell the club?

You can't deny that we have an ambition to find and sell (for a profit) players to the top 6/7 clubs in the premiership?

And we won't ever fulfill that ambition if the players do not deliver 'their end of the bargain', i.e finish 8th, 7th, 6th in the past 3 seasons.

Reed talked openly last May about doing our transfer business early. We failed to do this as we will not reassess the wages on offer. Makes negotiations much harder and you will need to convince players we are a good springboard and agree that players can move on if they are attracting level 2 sides

Rubbish old level 4 Saints - wage bill £80m, 9th in League

Dynamic ambitious level 3 Stoke City - wage bill £67m, 16th in League.

To year end May 2015, latest available data.

But surely even Kat and Les must realize that they need the shop window of the Premier League in order to keep doing that and that if they sell too many of our best players this summer, they'll risk losing it. Why the hurry to rake in all the cash now? Is Kat planning to sell the club?

This is clearly the business model we have right now. Are we stock piling cash and intend to "go for it" once we have enough cash or is this a longterm strategy that we will milk until it fails.

Problem is that for now it's working, not for the fans as much as the business.

If we continue to make a tidy profit and finish 6-17th in the premiership then happy days for Les and Kat I'd imagine?

Yet Europe provides exactly each of the above - wages can increase as can bonuses (both as incentives to perform well) and international competitions quite obviously provide further medal opportunities. So, actually, Europe is a very strong pull for players. This isn't even mentioning the increased exposure of the club to wider markets, and theoretically a stronger team to play alongside (having justified a position in Europe). So, quite simply, you're wrong.

And if we're going to arbitrarily categorise each club into groups (which, by the way, is nonsense on stilts), then being in Europe surely places us in a more attractive position than, say, other 'level 4' clubs who only play domestically therefore allowing us a quicker transition into 'level 3'. But again, on what variables are you placing clubs into each group? To talk about level 2 and 3 ambitions is pure rubbish. The club will have expectations and targets in place relative to what they hope to achieve, as would every other club - wanting to 'break into the next level' is such a childish way of initiating a strategic road map for something as complex and competitive as the Premier League.

Europe? you're going to have to be more specific than that, pal. You mean the Champions League.

I was positive at the end of last season but if Fonte goes then it's been a shocking summer. Love him or hate him, the ambition went out of the door with Cortese.

And yet we finish higher season after season.

Also, can't believe that so many people have leaped on Jack Schitt's info that there are no actual offers for Jose and that this whole situation is mainly Mendes stirring the pot to try and get him and his player a really good deal (entirely plausable) but AR-10's assertion that the club are looking to replace Jose as captain for no apparent reason gets accepted as gospel. Bizarre !!

And now there are reports that Charlie Austin is going to Everton. OMG. Further proof, if any were needed, that we are a Level 4 club with no ambition looking to sell anything with two legs to our rivals all so greedy KL and incompetent Les can make a tidy profit.

Or...

Alternatively, it could just be a lazy journalist looking to meet his deadline pulling a Saints player to Koeman story out of his big fat *rse.

Again.

You decide.

We're essentially just a improved and easy to use, but slightly more expensive, version of the black box for the top 6. Les has openly described us as a 'showcase' club and seems proud of that fact. I just struggle to understand how he can mention ambitions of Champions League football at the same time.

Whilst we are moaning about all the players wanting out, what about those who are signing the contracts? Is it purely for improved wages, or maybe ambition, or maybe a promise that they can leave if a big club comes knocking at the door? Genuinely interested in whether some like Tadic and Long believe in the project or not.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk