Puel out

Lastman73

I have been told Claude Puel is basically gone at the end of the season.

I've been told there are 3 people on the list.

One of them IS Ranieri and the one of the others is a CURRENT NON-English Manager in England, I know the name but I cannot give it.

The other no idea.

I also know that one of them is being spoken to RIGHT NOW and I'd assume that is Ranieri as he is not contracted.

I realise the usual suspects will quote me and call me out on this and the vagueness, this is as much information as I can give.

Take this what you will unless something radically changes Puel is being replaced.

I certainly wouldn't look to replace Puel with Ranieri, nice bloke that he is, he's had his glory and it won't be repeated.

Of the non- English working in England, I'm not convinced by Silva, or Jokanovic. Silva is perhaps the obvious and fashionable candidate but its not our style to follow that path. Jokanovic is less well known and despite one or two advocating him on here I wonder if he has the reputation to keep a few of our names happy.

The other one, obviously opens up the candidate field to wider speculation. Can only hope this is someone who meets all the criteria of style of play, and will be accepted by the squad quickly in convincing VVD for example that they should give us another season.

Don't think our league position warrants changing CP, but if there are issues in the squad over him, then that changes things around. Personally I'd only look to a change if it retains key players we want to hang on to, and we can bring in a stronger candidate than some of those already touted.

You need to check out the other stats instead of agreeing with some cherry picked to prove a point!

Please enlighten me as to what other stats I should be looking at? Apart from the obvious goals scored and goals conceded.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only 3 on our list? I don't think so.

Tuchel and Emery will be available soon and I fully expect them to be at the very top of any list.

Neither of those seem remotely plausible appointments for us. This time last year I was stupid enough to think there was a small chance we might get Emery but not now. It will be someone of a similar status to Puel or Poch or Koeman (middling at European elite level), those two are already a class above.

How is this for skilled:

You are a complete and utter imbecile.

I am absolutely NOTHING to do with "Jack Schitt" and this is the last time I'm replying to you.

Don't undersell yoursell.

As ever, you've blathered and blustered and still managed to reveal nothing new.

All those gems are in the public domain in one form or another. Ranieri. Check. A current non-English manager in the PL. Check (see stories linking us to Silva and Carvalhal). A third unknown manager. Nothing reported but would make sense (as would a longer list of candidates). Coincidentally it's the one you're vaguest about :lol:

All you've done is play the percentages- bet (among other things) that Puel is leaving on the balance of probabilities and piece things together into a narrative.

As I say, its skilful stuff. You have a keen sense for the foibles of human nature. Jack was a trailblazer. if you're not him, you're certainly a capable surrogate and protege.

Edited by shurlock

Only 3 on our list? I don't think so.

Tuchel and Emery will be available soon and I fully expect them to be at the very top of any list.

At the top of any list marked 'Managers we haven't got the slightest hope of even getting to come for an interview'

Seconded. And I'm not keen on Silva. And please don't start listing wildly unrealistic "big" names.

Still not sure Puel will go.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I said please don't.

At the top of any list marked 'Managers we haven't got the slightest hope of even getting to come for an interview'

Probably, but if you don't try you'll never know.

The new owners - if that happens - may be able to sell an ambitious project to someone half decent. If they have an ambitious project in mind, that is.

Probably, but if you don't try you'll never know.

The new owners - if that happens - may be able to sell an ambitious project to someone half decent. If they have an ambitious project in mind, that is.

Dream on.

Can only hope this is someone who meets all the criteria of style of play, and will be accepted by the squad quickly in convincing VVD for example that they should give us another season.

Directly from a first team squad player, Virgil Van Dijk did a photoshoot a few days ago modeling the new kit.

That's not the actions of a player wanting out or if the club were looking to cash in or at the very least were not expecting him to be here next season.

Directly from a first team squad player, Virgil Van Dijk did a photoshoot a few days ago modeling the new kit.

That's not the actions of a player wanting out or if the club were looking to cash in or at the very least were not expecting him to be here next season.

Indeed. I did read that on here a few days ago.

Might have been at the personal invitation of Les though, in which case we can rest assured VVD is staying.

I have just hacked into Les's computer and found a questionnaire

New Manager application form

Questions in a yes or No format

1. Do you want a transfer budget

If your answer is no please go to next question

2, Are you subservient

If your answer is yes please go to question 3.

3. Are you happy to take the criticism away from anyone else at the club

If the answer is yes please go to the managers office and start your job

I have just hacked into Les's computer and found a questionnaire

New Manager application form

Questions in a yes or No format

1. Do you want a transfer budget

If your answer is no please go to next question

2, Are you subservient

If your answer is yes please go to question 3.

3. Are you happy to take the criticism away from anyone else at the club

If the answer is yes please go to the managers office and start your job

It's funny coz it's true.

2002/2003. Finished 8th . Lost in a major final. Scored 43 goals. Got 51 points. Not sure what my point is here.

Point is probably that we went on a downward spiral pretty rapidly afterwards, due in part to poor transfer policy and some dubious managerial appointments over the next two seasons.

Point is probably that we went on a downward spiral pretty rapidly afterwards, due in part to poor transfer policy and some dubious managerial appointments over the next two seasons.

???

I am clutching at any straw which points to Virgil staying but.....unless I see that he is in said kit in the published Under Armour brochure I don't think this is particularly strong evidence that he is staying. It's a fairly simple matter to discard the photos of Virgil and take a new set, with our newly appointed captain.

However the news is certainly better than a first team squad player telling Mr AR 10 that Virgil had declined to do the photo-shoot because he had a 'medical appointment at the same time'.

**** me, I thought everyone had seen through AR 10 last time. There's not one thing he writes that isn't in the public domain somewhere. VvD having his photo taken in his kit was on here a few days ago, perhaps AR 10's mate in the first team read it on here. It's a load of pony. It's easy to post a 50/50 thing like Puel is leaving and then make up an excuse when it doesn't happen, that's what he did with Pellagreni

If Puel brings back the same old failed midfield/attack with the exception of Gabbiadini and plays with one isolated striker alongside Davis, Tadic and JWP on Wed and we lose he should be sacked on Thursday. It would prove he is incapable of learning any lessons and is tied to the toothless dross we have experienced at SMS all season. Clasie has played in the last two wins away scoring, Long and Rodriguez did ok without any help from the woeful Boufal, Redmond was better but Rodriguez, Long, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Pied and especially Caceres deserve another go and also see how Gabbiadini plays with Rodriguez and Long.

If he reverts to same old rubbish he deserves the sack. We are only 5 points above the 40 point safety mark even in 9th position on GD, that's no great performance more a reflection of the mediocrity of the teams below the top 7. Finishing 8th is no great performance we are 16 points behind 7th. A half decent home record would have us with many more points. We've only managed 6 wins in 17 games at home and only scored 8 goals in 14 of them and 17 in total. Nowhere near good enough.

Whilst I'm no big fan of CP and feel that his dourness is not what Saints expected after the likes of Koeman, Mauricio and Adkins, I'm firmly of the opinion that the real issue with the reported dissatisfaction within the squad lies squarely in the appointment of Mr E Black to the coaching team.

He has a long and unchallenged record of creating disharmony at a number of previous clubs and I'm prepared to gamble on getting rid of him before we dispense of CP.

Whilst I'm no big fan of CP and feel that his dourness is not what Saints expected after the likes of Koeman, Mauricio and Adkins, I'm firmly of the opinion that the real issue with the reported dissatisfaction within the squad lies squarely in the appointment of Mr E Black to the coaching team.

He has a long and unchallenged record of creating disharmony at a number of previous clubs and I'm prepared to gamble on getting rid of him before we dispense of CP.

also: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/09/29/how-southamptons-eric-black-advised-businessmen-how-to-bribe-low/

If Puel brings back the same old failed midfield/attack with the exception of Gabbiadini and plays with one isolated striker alongside Davis, Tadic and JWP on Wed and we lose he should be sacked on Thursday. It would prove he is incapable of learning any lessons and is tied to the toothless dross we have experienced at SMS all season. Clasie has played in the last two wins away scoring, Long and Rodriguez did ok without any help from the woeful Boufal, Redmond was better but Rodriguez, Long, Clasie, Hojbjerg, Pied and especially Caceres deserve another go and also see how Gabbiadini plays with Rodriguez and Long.

If he reverts to same old rubbish he deserves the sack. We are only 5 points above the 40 point safety mark even in 9th position on GD, that's no great performance more a reflection of the mediocrity of the teams below the top 7. Finishing 8th is no great performance we are 16 points behind 7th. A half decent home record would have us with many more points. We've only managed 6 wins in 17 games at home and only scored 8 goals in 14 of them and 17 in total. Nowhere near good enough.

He has coped without Mane Wanyama and Pelle. All would walk into the side add to the Loss of VVD Fonte, Austin and Gabbiadini (add Boufal to that although it doesn't seem much of a miss ) you have a very lower mid table team. I cannot see any combination of players beating any team around us consistently with the squad he has, and he has done a pragmatic job in keeping us out of a relegation scrap. Please tell me how we could have been more effective a side without risking us slipping into the bottom 5 or 6 places with what he has at his disposal. play 2 up front and that makes us less solid defensively, ca you expect Long JRod to get us 2goals a game?

He has coped without Mane Wanyama and Pelle. All would walk into the side add to the Loss of VVD Fonte, Austin and Gabbiadini (add Boufal to that although it doesn't seem much of a miss ) you have a very lower mid table team. I cannot see any combination of players beating any team around us consistently with the squad he has, and he has done a pragmatic job in keeping us out of a relegation scrap. Please tell me how we could have been more effective a side without risking us slipping into the bottom 5 or 6 places with what he has at his disposal. play 2 up front and that makes us less solid defensively, ca you expect Long JRod to get us 2goals a game?

You've already said somewhere you don't go any more. I've sat through every minute of every game at SMS and seen every other game. I don't want to endure the absolutely negative dross any longer. Watching, Davis, JWP playing backwards and sideways with Boufal and Tadic going round in ever decreasing circles with Redmond giving the ball away all trying to keep possession nearly made me walk out on numerous occasions. Playing forwards that can pressure the opposition and maybe just score goals opposed to one player that could with the right service get a goal playing with a whole bunch of players that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo is far better. Three from Gabbiadini, Austin, Long, Rodriguez and even Redmond would be more positive, physically stronger and would score more goals than the present set up.

Romeu has adequately replaced Wanyama, Pelle wouldn't have played long with no service but Mane is a miss but neither of them would have made much difference with a system that puts possession above everything else.

Edited by derry

You've already said somewhere you don't go any more. I've sat through every minute of every game at SMS and seen every other game. I don't want to endure the absolutely negative dross any longer. Watching, Davis, JWP playing backwards and sideways with Boufal and Tadic going round in ever decreasing circles with Redmond giving the ball away all trying to keep possession nearly made me walk out on numerous occasions. Playing forwards that can pressure the opposition and maybe just score goals opposed to one player that could with the right service get a goal playing with a whole bunch of players that couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo is far better. Three from Gabbiadini, Austin, Long, Rodriguez and even Redmond would be more positive, physically stronger and would score more goals than the present set up.

Romeu has adequately replaced Wanyama, Pelle wouldn't have played long with no service but Mane is a miss but neither of them would have made much difference with a system that puts possession above everything else.

you are correct, I don't so often due to business commitments.

How can you play 3 when they have not been available? I do get the problem of the midfield, Davis is a good servant and is tidy until we go on the attack. JWP does some delightful crosses but there is ever a forward or midfielder in the box to take advantage, until Gabbiadini arrived. Do you agree had Long been more prolific earlier in the season things would have looked up? He just doesn't finish the chances he has had and so the team are frustrated and become disjointed. I watched many games last season and the football was poor but Pelle or Mane would score and gloss over a mainly possession based game all in the midfield.

We havent a squad that is any better than most in the middle of the league and that is due to constantly diluting the quality of the team

I've gone to most away games since Xmas and by and large we've been Good. Clever possession, incisive passing when required and well set up. Our lack of taking our chances is what's really cost us in games, Everton and Burnley readily spring to mind. Palace we just got stuffed.

Thankfully, away from home, the support is decent, unlike the duffers at SMS moaning and complaining, and we've been rewarded with good displays and wins. No coincidence.

I'd agree definitely that Mane would be rendered redundant under Puel with these tactics, I'm sure of that. There's a lot of "he's improved under Puel" nonsense too. I can think of two players who have improved Romeu an Yoshida, and that's thanks to more exposure.

More exposure for the likes of Stephens, Cedric etc too means that there is a false sense of Puel improving the players when he clearly hasn't.

There's players in that team that would suit an offensive, expansive style of football but it is ever hardly utilised in favour of the turgid possession at all costs style.

I'd agree definitely that Mane would be rendered redundant under Puel with these tactics, I'm sure of that. There's a lot of "he's improved under Puel" nonsense too. I can think of two players who have improved Romeu an Yoshida, and that's thanks to more exposure.

More exposure for the likes of Stephens, Cedric etc too means that there is a false sense of Puel improving the players when he clearly hasn't.

There's players in that team that would suit an offensive, expansive style of football but it is ever hardly utilised in favour of the turgid possession at all costs style.

of course it depends what the ingredients the chef has to work with. If you have the finest fillet steak you can make the most wonderful Chateau Briand, if you have brisket....

Mane and the like would make the manager change the way we play,

VvD having his photo taken in his kit was on here a few days ago, perhaps AR 10's mate in the first team read it on here. It's a load of pony. It's easy to post a 50/50 thing like Puel is leaving and then make up an excuse when it doesn't happen, that's what he did with Pellagreni

:lol:

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

However, is this the post you're referring to a few days back?..

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57377-Rumours-of-takeover-investment-interest&p=2488090#post2488090

I actually posted this, so that there is at least some idea/clarity as to what the current situation is as I currently know it.

If anyone posted this before me, then do enlighten me...

Secondly, the Manuel Pellegrini rumour was:

- NOT started by me

- neither was it anything to do with me.

I am trying my best to communicate to you as fans what the club do not, won't or refuse to and when I'm vague, it's because I have to be and for reasons I'm not getting into here,

mostly to stop myself ever being identified by those high up the clubs food chain or compromises the clubs position regarding any approaches or developments that I know to be true.

It's not deliberate and it's certainly not an attempt to wind people up.

Just understand I have to be careful perhaps vague, but I try to give as much as I humanely can,

it is HARD especially when you know it's going to be attacked.

I will however say, the way the club treats fans is, by some distance, the worst I've ever seen at various clubs...

they tell you NOTHING. Literally NOTHING.

I will however say, the way the club treats fans is, by some distance, the worst I've ever seen at various clubs...

I wish we were run by David Sullivan and David Gold.

I wish we were run by David Sullivan and David Gold.

Also according to AR-10/Jack Schitt:

Best thing you can hope for is this club being sold or you're gonna lose players in the summer.

Owner won't pay wages, board will sell you down the river in a heartbeat.

Like making players sign contracts then the clubs up for sale.

so AR10 is not a fan and has been at various clubs. A player perhaps? joined on here July 2016.

Well you're entitled to your opinion.

However, is this the post you're referring to a few days back?..

https://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthread.php?57377-Rumours-of-takeover-investment-interest&p=2488090#post2488090

I actually posted this, so that there is at least some idea/clarity as to what the current situation is as I currently know it.

If anyone posted this before me, then do enlighten me...

Secondly, the Manuel Pellegrini rumour was:

- NOT started by me

- neither was it anything to do with me.

I am trying my best to communicate to you as fans what the club do not, won't or refuse to and when I'm vague, it's because I have to be and for reasons I'm not getting into here,

mostly to stop myself ever being identified by those high up the clubs food chain or compromises the clubs position regarding any approaches or developments that I know to be true.

It's not deliberate and it's certainly not an attempt to wind people up.

Just understand I have to be careful perhaps vague, but I try to give as much as I humanely can,

it is HARD especially when you know it's going to be attacked.

For a large part of the season we haven't been solid in defense though . Surely being more effective in attack is in itself the best form of defense .

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

Is there a manager out there with Saints links?

The only ones I can think of is Pahars, Hughes and Monk but they don't cut it for me.

Such a shame the likes of Holmes, Le Tissier, Rideout or Lundekvam were not made for management then we would stability for once.

The only ones I can think of is Pahars, Hughes and Monk but they don't cut it for me.

Such a shame the likes of Holmes, Le Tissier, Rideout or Lundekvam were not made for management then we would stability for once.

Paul Tisdale at Exeter? Not that I'm proposing him as our manager.

Mark Hughes but wouldn't want him anywhere near us.

Watched every game, yet apparently seen nothing. The possession stuff was for specific games, usually in with the Europa League fixtures, when we needed to conserve energy. There were two dull draws at the start when the players were learning the system, a couple late on when the fixture pile up was a factor, and otherwise we used it well against Liverpool. The rest of the time when fitness and freshness allowed we've been attacking, overlapping, creative and just bloody awful at the specific actions of actually scoring goals and preventing them.

Watched every game, yet apparently seen nothing. The possession stuff was for specific games, usually in with the Europa League fixtures, when we needed to conserve energy. There were two dull draws at the start when the players were learning the system, a couple late on when the fixture pile up was a factor, and otherwise we used it well against Liverpool. The rest of the time when fitness and freshness allowed we've been attacking, overlapping, creative and just bloody awful at the specific actions of actually scoring goals and preventing them.

Hull? West Brom? I won't go on...

'actually scoring goals and preventing them' ...apart from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Conserve energy for what? We got knocked out of Europe at the first opportunity, and we were hardly tearing up the league. I'm glad you're enjoying this season but all the people around me are bored and hoping for something a bit more exciting next season. We are even being discussed in the media as being negative and boring this season. Not something you normally associate with us.

Hull? West Brom? I won't go on...

'actually scoring goals and preventing them' ...apart from that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Hull was 4 days after Chelsea away, and was the one time this season I'd say we didn't create due to being unmotivated compared to the opposition, rather than tactically conservative.

West Brom was 3 days after Spurs home and 2 days before Everton away and a weary performance was completely understandable.

Conserve energy for what? We got knocked out of Europe at the first opportunity, and we were hardly tearing up the league. I'm glad you're enjoying this season but all the people around me are bored and hoping for something a bit more exciting next season. We are even being discussed in the media as being negative and boring this season. Not something you normally associate with us.

Conserve energy for one of the other games we played with 4 or less days recovery time this season, which happened 27 times.

Hull was 4 days after Chelsea away, and was the one time this season I'd say we didn't create due to being unmotivated compared to the opposition, rather than tactically conservative.

West Brom was 3 days after Spurs home and 2 days before Everton away and a weary performance was completely understandable.

Chelsea away is hardly a long drag. There's a big difference between the disruption of an away game and a couple of home game a few days apart. If our players can't cope with two games in a week then our fitness regime is not up to the job.