Stephens

Cedric

Clasie

Boufal

Lemina

Carrillo

Long

Austin

Why on earth would you want Lemina gone? I'd far rather see him start to show the potential that we all know he has.

As for the strikers, I'm all for seeing them leave - as long as we replace them with better!

And if Cedric leaves then I hope we get a good fee for him.

In terms of Jack Stephens, I am on the fence - like many I would like to see one of our own academy products develop into a great player and he is still young-ish. However, time is starting to run out for him and with other younger players coming through I wouldn't want to rely on him. Indeed I tend to think we need to invest in at least one good up-and-coming centre back along the lines of Alderweireld and Van Dijk when we signed them. I guess Hoedt was always supposed to be that but I think any hopes of him becoming that player now are long gone.

That just leaves:

* Forster - he needs to go for his own benefit.

* Claise - He is far too far down the pecking order now for us to keep him. He had promise when we signed him but sadly he has never lived up to it.

* Boufal - To be honest I think he is better than Elyounoussi, but he has never delivered and is just another in a line of failed expensive foreign wingers. If Hassenhuttl thinks he can get anything out of him then great but otherwise it is best to ship him out. We do need someone else in that position, though, as we have not adequately replaced Tadic.

I think there will be a big turnover:

Out (hopefully)

Forster

Hoedt

Stephens

Cedric

Clasie

Boufal

Lemina

Carrillo

Long

Austin

Offloading my any if those will be difficult. They have time left on their contracts and getting good money that other clubs won't match, so why would they go? You can't just unilaterally cancel contracts.

The only hope is that those not getting game time but wanting it would accept a cut - can't see many fitting the bill on that list.

No one will touch Forster nor probably Carrillo.

Hoedt and Cedric will want moves but will expect too much.

Clasie might take a cut.

Boufal and Lemina will be given a chance

Stephens is part of Ralph's plans.

Long and Austin will see out their contracts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Edited by Shroppie

Offloading my any if those will be difficult. They have time left on their contracts and getting good money that other clubs won't match, so why would they go? You can't just unilaterally cancel contracts.

The only hope is that those not getting game time but wanting it would accept a cut - can't see many fitting the bill on that list.

No one will touch Forster nor probably Carrillo.

Hoedt and Cedric will want moves but will expect too much.

Clasie might take a cut.

Boufal and Lemina will be given a chance

Stephens is part of Ralph's plans.

Long and Austin will see out their contracts.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Hence the "hopefully"

I think there will be a big turnover:

Out (hopefully)

Forster

Hoedt

Stephens

Cedric

Clasie

Boufal

Lemina

Carrillo

Long

Austin

I think those are the players most fans would like to move on (maybe not Lemina), but we won't be giving them away for nothing, so it will depend on what value other clubs put on them.

My own opinion is that there would possibly be a few others on the list who could go if their valuations are met - and then there are the ones who want to leave, even if the Manager wants to keep them (Bertrand, maybe?). I'd add to that a few of the fringe players too, like Targett, Reed, Hesketh, Barnes (what's happened to him this year since he got "promoted" from the U23's?),Gallagher, and a few others in the U23's to make way for the next generation.

I'm sure they won't all go, but the Manager wants a smaller squad and will surely want to bring in some cash to fund some key players, so he will be keeping his options open. I expect at least half a dozen to go - just not necessarily the ones we want.

I don't expect any in's unless we successfully shift the majority of the players we need out. Our board goes very all in on strategies. They had the bright idea to sign every single player of our 25 man squad onto long contracts which meant payrises to players that didn't earn them. Now they're committed to offloading as many non first 11 players as possible. Bed and breakfast management.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I don't expect any in's unless we successfully shift the majority of the players we need out. Our board goes very all in on strategies. They had the bright idea to sign every single player of our 25 man squad onto long contracts which meant payrises to players that didn't earn them. Now they're committed to offloading as many non first 11 players as possible. Bed and breakfast management.

Bizarre to think there will be no one in. We will get three in at least IMO.

We are obviously going to sign at least one player in the summer, highly likely to be more than that.

We've not had a summer of zero signings at any point since promotion (or, in recent times) so no reason we'd suddenly start now.

Edited by CB Fry

Bizarre to think there will be no one in. We will get three in at least IMO.
GK: Gunn/McCarthy/Taylor.

RB: Valery backed up by Stephens/Yoshida/(JWP)

LB: Bertrand/Targett. We'd only buy if Bertrand leaves.

CB: Vester/Yoshida/Bednarek/Stephens/Jones. Even if Hoedt goes we won't buy.

CM: Lemina/Hojbjerg/Romeu/Reed. Clasie can be sold and we're still covered.

AM: JWP/Armstrong/Hesketh.

Wingers: Redmond/Elyoun/Sims/(Long). Boufal can go and we're still (poorly) covered.

ST: Ings/Austin/Long/Olomola.

While i agree we need more quality in several positions, the board clearly wants to cut quantity. We won't fill up the ranks anymore without selling a few.

Edited by Ultimatt

Wingers: Redmond/Elyoun/Sims/(Long). Boufal can go and we're still (poorly) covered.

While i agree we need more quality in several positions, the board clearly wants to cut quantity. We won't fill up the ranks anymore without selling a few.

Wrong academy graduate striker ;)

Well Taylor left last summer so that’s one extra space!

Taylor left ages ago and Stephens/Yoshida are not suited to cover right wing back. Ramsey is a better option for that.

Don't be surprised if Yoshida goes, heard we've been trying to shift him for a while. We'll try and offload Austin, Long and Forster too, if we can find buyers which is easier said than done, Championship players on Premier league wages is the issue, we'll have to take a hit on them if they're to go. Wouldn't be surprised to see Lemina go and based on Krugers comments about how big clubs are sniffing round Hojberg I wonder if we're being teed up for him to go too. Shanghi Leisure Holdings need us to sell before we can buy remember.

Think someone will come in for Hoedt and Cedric. Hoedt may be terrible for us but he's still young and it wasn't that long ago he was in the Dutch national side so someone will take a punt on him. Cedric is decent enough so we should be able to find a buyer somewhere. Remember he's still waiting on that call from Barcelona :lol:

As for incomings we'll probably bring in a striker with pace and movement, hopefully a decent centre half. I know we were close to signing the right back from Genk but with Valerys emergence that may have been shelved now. I'd expect to see a lot more academy players used like Ramsey, Johnson, Slattery and Sims next year but either way we will bring some players in, I cant remember ever being a summer transfer window when we didn't sign a player so it's not going to start now when there are such glaring holes in the squad.

Yoshida won't go, he's one of those guys with passion and real leadership qualities and will join the junior team coaching staff at the end of his playing days and why not. Great inspiration for the kids with a superb work ethic. These guys don't grow on trees and let's face it how does he not compare well with erm! Kelvin Davis?

Piece in the Echo on Ralph the under 23s. Suggests a number of senior will be leaving in the summer sub text seems to point to us using more youngsters next season.

"If Saints are able to maintain their Premier League status, it’s expected that a host of senior players will leave the club permanently in the summer."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17509117.amp/

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

It may be cost cutting, but these managers (Poch is another) do like to use fresh youngsters who they can mould into their type of player. Ralph isn’t going to be signing 28 year old experienced PL players to then try and transform them into players that can press from the start.

Piece in the Echo on Ralph the under 23s. Suggests a number of senior will be leaving in the summer sub text seems to point to us using more youngsters next season.

"If Saints are able to maintain their Premier League status, it’s expected that a host of senior players will leave the club permanently in the summer."

https://www.dailyecho.co.uk/sport/17509117.amp/

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

That's no secret, just the Echo stirring things up. Hoydt, Long, Austin, Elyounoussi, Forster, Clasie, Carrillo, Soares, Hesketh, all senior players, all discussed on here as not wanted.

That's no secret, just the Echo stirring things up. Hoydt, Long, Austin, Elyounoussi, Forster, Clasie, Carrillo, Soares, Hesketh, all senior players, all discussed on here as not wanted.

Those are all players that are mostly thought not to be useful to Saints anymore. What about Betrand and Hoj though? I hope they will be staying.

Interesting piece on Sam Gallagher here. Either this is pure speculation from the author or he has a source close to Gallagher. He appears to be revealing many private details like Hassenhuttl made a promise to play him if he stayed, the club that were interested in him. it is also critical of our current forward line and very pro-Gallagher. What do you think? Despite him having an average scoring record in the championship and only one goal in twenty odd games in the premier league should he be higher up the pecking order? It's an interesting one, I wonder who the source could be? I've certainly read similar pro-Gallagher arguments before........

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/is-sam-gallagher-destined-to-leave-southampton

I haven't seen enough of him to form much of an opinion. He's here, he trains with us. I think we have to trust what RH sees in training, if he's not in the squad there must be good reason for it, especially considering our striker "crisis".

Perhaps he's nearly there, or getting there.

Curious article. Looks like a lot of speculation along the lines of should he stay or go, apart from the line about RH wanting Sam in the first team. Perhaps that means in the squad, with a view to proving himself worthy of a place in the matchday 18. I think RH has done enough for the fans to trust that he knows when a young player should be given a chance.

Interesting piece on Sam Gallagher here. Either this is pure speculation from the author or he has a source close to Gallagher. He appears to be revealing many private details like Hassenhuttl made a promise to play him if he stayed, the club that were interested in him. it is also critical of our current forward line and very pro-Gallagher. What do you think? Despite him having an average scoring record in the championship and only one goal in twenty odd games in the premier league should he be higher up the pecking order? It's an interesting one, I wonder who the source could be? I've certainly read similar pro-Gallagher arguments before........

https://www.itsroundanditswhite.co.uk/articles/is-sam-gallagher-destined-to-leave-southampton

Certainly seems to be a story written from Gallagher’s side of things. It’s very difficult to say if he should be playing.

Personally, there’ve been a few times this season when I’ve called for him to be involved but that was mainly out of despair at our other strikers. I don’t see him train so I trust RH’s judgement.

It’s harsh if he was promised that he’d play more but football is a harsh game. Seems more likely he was told he would be given the chance to prove himself.

I think the official history books will judge Sam Gallagher as probably the greatest football player ever to pull on the red and white stripes of Southampton.

Curious article. Looks like a lot of speculation along the lines of should he stay or go, apart from the line about RH wanting Sam in the first team. Perhaps that means in the squad, with a view to proving himself worthy of a place in the matchday 18. I think RH has done enough for the fans to trust that he knows when a young player should be given a chance.

[emoji106] saves me a few mins.

That’s what I read into it - that he is more engaged and open to the idea of U23 players who are standing out getting opportunities. Pellegrino and Hughes did not appear engaged at all in that sense. Doesn’t mean an 08/09 fire sale and an average age of 20 but rather that investment in new signings need to be £20-25m automatic starters and you can’t do that with too many of them, unless we’re able to sell all of Les’s unwanted crud for the prices the club would want (unlikely). So to have younger players with pace and energy to complete the squad and provide competition/options makes sense and is more cost effective. How much are we paying Moi a week? How many minutes has he played and how many goals and assists? Tyreke Johnson would probably be more effective next season.

Les’s our of date rule about not paying more than £15m for players is nonsense and a mix of a smaller number of higher quality signings (who cost more) and younger players has to be better than Carrillo, Clasie, Moi, Cedric etc who are fringe quality. Keep the small core as well that are now doing well now under the first PL quality manager since Ronald and things may look better for a while.

• 2 weeks later...
I'm thinking we would 100% be getting relegated if it was not for this guy.

Think he will really help us push on next season if we back him with 3 good players.

Incredible he's done what he's done without signing anyone, shipping experience out & giving young players minutes.

After the arse-puckering finale to last season with Pellegrino's godawful under-performing dreary side being kept up by Hughes who it seems had more luck than judgement, it's almost a comfortable relegation battle this season, if that makes sense. Hasenhuttl has come in and shown tactical nous, has streamlined the squad, and without signing anyone new, has instilled belief in the players he inherited. If only we'd had him since the start of the season.

He's the must-keep of the summer - let him bring in a few new players to complete the team (essentially a CB, RB, Str and AM should cover it) and we should be back up in the fight for "best of the rest" next season.

Ralph has to be a contender for March manager of month.

Up against..... Rodgers possibly? done brilliant to turn Leicester around so quickly and Leicester now joint 7th. Silva must be a contender too...

Will probably just be Pep or Klopp again.....

Up against..... Rodgers possibly? done brilliant to turn Leicester around so quickly and Leicester now joint 7th. Silva must be a contender too...

Getting beat by Newcastle (leading by 2 and then f ucking up) will dash Silva's chances of getting manager of the month.

Hmm 2 wins and a loss. Nah, doubt he’s in the running.

...46c9f3298a36af5a1e96aa14e62e079d.jpg

Loving this bit

After being outrun in the majority of their games prior to the Austrian's arrival, Saints have now covered more ground than their opponents in 15 of their 16 games under him. They have made more high-intensity sprints than their opponents in each of their last nine Premier League games too.

To me that says as much about Hughes as it does about RH.

Was the previous lack of sprints and less ground covered purely tactics, or did an element of "can't be arsed" creep in through disillusionment with MH's tactics? I can't think of one player who is not looking a better player on the pitch (and some who weren't on the pitch at all) now than they did 6 months ago. That doesn't come from tactics alone .