Page 14 of 49 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 651 to 700 of 2436

Thread: January Transfer Window - 2020 Edition

  1. #651

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Spurs Forum Transfer Target
    Posts
    16,169
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk View Post
    Shame I always thought Sims could do a job for us.
    He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered

  2. #652

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    It's grim oop north
    Posts
    8,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smirking_Saint View Post
    He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered
    That's just not accurate. He's never had a prolonged run in the team, and on the few occasions he has been played he has looked very promising, like when he came on as a sub and changed the game in our win against Spurs last season.

  3. #653

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Plymouth
    Posts
    5,885

    Default

    The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Smirking_Saint View Post
    He's literally had a number of chances, and never delivered
    Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

  5. #655

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    He has a brief cameo and makes an impact then is given a start and his lack of technique really shows and he fades away again.

    Repeat x 3 or 4.

    If he was dangerous almost every time he plays then he would always play. He doesn't.

    He isn't PL quality. Which is no shame as the standard is so high. Can see why a long term move to the US appeals to him, mich better than clogging around in Huddersfield or similar.

  6. #656

    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Leslie Tiller was f**king murdered!
    Posts
    11,759

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Saint_clark View Post
    Nonsense, he's looked dangerous almost every time he's actually played. As good as Boufal has been (at times) I would still rather see Sims in the squad.

    Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
    Spurs game aside, I always thought we looked weaker last season when he was on the pitch. Like that awful Newcastle game when he was dragged off at HT or against Watford and Liverpool when we were immediately overrun when he came on. Even the win over Wolves, which was decent, we played better as a team after he went off.

    He was in and out of a poor Reading team too. I just don’t see him being consistently close to the level we’re looking for.

  7. #657

    Default

    May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

    Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

    I am happy with attacking options assuming we don’t sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

    Then more radical work in the summer including the many players out on loan

  8. #658

    Default

    May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

    Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

    I am happy with attacking options assuming we donít sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

    Then more radical work in the summer including the many players out on loan

  9. #659

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.

    Assuming Valery is fit sometime soon we have cover at right back, now we are playing four at the back I think we have enough cover there but would wish to upgrade quality in summer latest. However we have no trusted back up for Bertrand so a promising championship young left back happy to wait his chance would be good but tha does not feel like mega bucks.

    I am happy with attacking options assuming we donít sell Adams. Where I think we are short, having sent out Reed and Lemina, is cover for the holding midfield positions. We are two injuries or suspensions away from having just one holding midfielder and that could be a major problem so I would prioritise that area and left back cover.

    Then more radical work in the summer including the many players out on loan
    I agree we don't need any panic buys but a few good results doesnt change the weakness in the squad.

    The best time to strengthen is from a position of relative strength and we have that more now than probably at any stage in the last 2 years.

    Our targets will have watched the Chelsea and Spurs games and probably feel better about joining us than they did in November.

    Ralph knows where we need to improve, the club know - and you can't stand still in the PL, its akin to going backwards.

  10. #660

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,648

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Forester View Post
    May be an unusual view but given form and traditional poor value achieved in January market I would not be going out splashing the cash unless an absolute steal is there.
    Joakim Maehle was apparently given an asking price by Genk of £7.5 million today. While I don't know how good he is, aside from what websites etc say about him, and the fact we've been trailing him for a year, that seems like a good price for a right back that will potentially be first choice at the start of next season.

  11. #661

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    22,729

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNSUN View Post
    Joakim Maehle was apparently given an asking price by Genk of £7.5 million today. While I don't know how good he is, aside from what websites etc say about him, and the fact we've been trailing him for a year, that seems like a good price for a right back that will potentially be first choice at the start of next season.
    Yep he does sound decent but you never know. For that price it's worth it to avoid missing out in the summer.

    Agree about January though. People demand signings, it's a poor market, we sign rubbish ones then can't afford to invest properly in the summers. Then people demand the same again.

    Generally I'd rather we really think twice about big signings unless we're really sure they fit the system and what the manager wants. Yeah you can't get it right all the time but whoever watched Vesterguard should have known he was too slow to help us, simple as that.

    Fans demand signings but ultimately we've had more success sticking with the likes of Long and JWP, letting Bedanrek and Stephens develop, waiting for Ings to come good and so on.

    I think we can get through until summer and do it properly. We need a right back, centre back, CM and a wide attacker who can score a few. 4 big signings to come straight in the team, not signings for the future or back-up. But it'll take shifting Forster, Mo, Lemina, Carrillo, Boufal, Vesterguard, Hoedt, Cedric. Christ we've wasted some money.

  12. #662

    Default

    Was the price for Maehle being quoted considerably higher last Jan?

  13. #663

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by adriansfc View Post
    Yep he does sound decent but you never know. For that price it's worth it to avoid missing out in the summer.

    Agree about January though. People demand signings, it's a poor market, we sign rubbish ones then can't afford to invest properly in the summers. Then people demand the same again.

    Generally I'd rather we really think twice about big signings unless we're really sure they fit the system and what the manager wants. Yeah you can't get it right all the time but whoever watched Vesterguard should have known he was too slow to help us, simple as that.

    Fans demand signings but ultimately we've had more success sticking with the likes of Long and JWP, letting Bedanrek and Stephens develop, waiting for Ings to come good and so on.

    I think we can get through until summer and do it properly. We need a right back, centre back, CM and a wide attacker who can score a few. 4 big signings to come straight in the team, not signings for the future or back-up. But it'll take shifting Forster, Mo, Lemina, Carrillo, Boufal, Vesterguard, Hoedt, Cedric. Christ we've wasted some money.
    You have been saying we need new players for some time now...


  14. #665

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    30,725
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    OK he's a little rumour from a source I have. Likely to be wrong but we all like a good rumour. So our interests apparently are in a cb we wanted in the summer but we wouldn't part with the cash, a striker banging them in in France (maybe for Lillie? Source couldn't remember.) and a rb. Apparently villa also after the striker, also told the Chinese bloke wants to sell and red bull have been sniffing around along with an American consortium.
    Interesting. Linked with a forward from a French club whose scored a lot of goals and rumours of red bull sniffing around today. Looks like my source may have got some stuff right. Can I claim an itk badge yet?

  15. #666

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Interesting. Linked with a forward from a French club whose scored a lot of goals and rumours of red bull sniffing around today. Looks like my source may have got some stuff right. Can I claim an itk badge yet?
    Nope names etc on the back of a postcard etc

  16. #667

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
    Can I claim an itk badge yet?
    Nope, too vague... like a Bible prophecy

  17. Default

    Yes please!

  18. #669

    Default

    Rochdale teenager Luke Matheson looks like a star of the future. He had too much pace for Newcastle's defence today and would be a useful addition to our squad.

  19. #670

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nordic Saint View Post
    Rochdale teenager Luke Matheson looks like a star of the future. He had too much pace for Newcastle's defence today and would be a useful addition to our squad.
    He did really well against United earlier in the season too

  20. #671

    Default

    Don't know if he's any good, but that's the type of player we need. Central striker who can score.

  21. #672

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Bomosaint View Post
    He did really well against United earlier in the season too
    Yes, he has lightning pace:


  22. #673

    Default

    (I'm reposting as the video link didn't work)

    Yes, he has lightning pace:



    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IN4wyyN1OM

  23. #674

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Medals, Trophy Lallana can also earn at Southampton- Andy Durman 16/05/14
    Posts
    30,725
    Blog Entries
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Nope, too vague... like a Bible prophecy
    You're just jealous

  24. #675

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark Munster View Post
    Don't know if he's any good, but that's the type of player we need. Central striker who can score.
    Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying heís not any good (never heard of him!) just that heís currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.

  25. #676

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LeBenali View Post
    Worth noting that his team (Le Harve) are currently 7th in the French second tier, which is probably the equivalent of lower end League 1 / League 2 over here. Not saying heís not any good (never heard of him!) just that heís currently playing at a level lower than Adams was last year.
    That was what they said about Mahrez

  26. #677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    That was what they said about Mahrez
    Agree they ve all got to start somewhere, however having seen videos of him ob youtube, whilst all his goals are good finished (17 goals including 6 penalties), there is next to no defending around him, he has all the space and time in the world that he wouldn t have here.
    Can t really judge his general play he looks pacy on one of the first goals, he doesn t create himself any of the goals, they are all put on a plate for him or result of mistakes from defense.

    So very hard to see what he can bring to the table and also do we need him? Not convinced.

  27. #678

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    The metropolis of Wem
    Posts
    7,395

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Disco Stu View Post
    Yes please!
    Calm down! It's the Mail.

    Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

  28. #679

    Default

    If we are looking at strikers we should be looking at someone capable of playing with and playing as replacement to Ingsy.
    Personally I would spunk all our cash on a hard tackling no nonsense cb.

  29. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SFC Forever View Post
    If we are looking at strikers we should be looking at someone capable of playing with and playing as replacement to Ingsy.
    Personally I would spunk all our cash on a hard tackling no nonsense cb.
    Like who?

  30. #681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whelk View Post
    That was what they said about Mahrez
    The gamble on Mahrez was c £450,000 though, but diffferent to £10m.

  31. #682

    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    63

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.
    Lallana is on 110k a week wages
    He is in the first team match squad of a team going for the premier league title for the first in 30 years and also going for the champions league again.
    He also told me in the summer he is staying at Liverpool as Klopp has told him he is in his plans after returning from long term injury

  32. #683

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,506

    Default

    Surely, Leicester and wolves will lose all of their star player between now and the end of the summer window

  33. #684

  34. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Crikey, that one's been dragging on for a while.

  35. #686

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew Le God View Post
    Reads like clickbait - doesn't take long to find a "he might be signing for us" from an Everton perspective, too.

    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...price-17511606


    In all honesty I can't say he looks like a priority for us being that he has only ever played a handful of matches in his entire career.

    I'm sure he's great on MLG's little computer games but I'd like a transfer window with less potential and more experience this time.

  36. #687

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Instant Classic View Post
    The Lallana rumours are back! Some random twitter account saying he's joining us for free. Doesn't seem to be an even slightly credible source mind. Still, this link just isn't going to go away until he retires.
    Heís never going to leave a club mid-season, a club looking set to win their first league title in decades, even if he doesnít figure in many matches, even on the bench.

    See that press inaccurate sensationalism and social media nonsense is at its best, reporting Ralph has been given a 30 million war chest. I think heíll be going to war with one soldier! Hardly a warchest, more like the funds for one semi established PL player. Maehle could be a decent bargain if he proves adequate. If Bednarek & Stephens have formed a good bond, perhaps CB should be addressed in the summer and another full back acquired to back up Bertrand.

    I see the Le Harve youngster mooted but thatís just yet another Saints rumour so I donít pay much attention as there only tends to be one rumour genuine in about 60 under this current PR machine. Even if Tino Kadewere rumour had legs, itís another lower French league gamble and at 23, If he had real quality, I think he wouldíve been noticed by now unless heís a late bloomer so it could be rumours purely trying to generate a PL sale.

  37. #688

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dusic View Post
    I agree we don't need any panic buys but a few good results doesnt change the weakness in the squad.

    The best time to strengthen is from a position of relative strength and we have that more now than probably at any stage in the last 2 years.

    Our targets will have watched the Chelsea and Spurs games and probably feel better about joining us than they did in November.

    Ralph knows where we need to improve, the club know - and you can't stand still in the PL, its akin to going backwards.
    Good point and some rare logic. Best time to strengthen is now for the key areas as well mentioned. When you’re in a better position, easier to attract players & we would’ve struggled to attract anyone before Christmas but we have just had the best Christmas period I can remember (it’s so bloody tight points wise) and I’m astonished and proud of whoever is responsible as they have been clearly working hard from a defensive POV coach and special credit to Stephens who’s improved massively. His crossfield ball to find Ings was top drawer & didn’t draw enough praise (in the goal against Tottenham) plus he added a further assist some matches previous. Credit where it’s due. It will help in the meantime but we still need serious quality added to our defence.

  38. #689

    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Southampton
    Posts
    1,839

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CB Fry View Post
    Reads like clickbait - doesn't take long to find a "he might be signing for us" from an Everton perspective, too.

    https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/spor...price-17511606


    In all honesty I can't say he looks like a priority for us being that he has only ever played a handful of matches in his entire career.

    I'm sure he's great on MLG's little computer games but I'd like a transfer window with less potential and more experience this time.
    Highly unlikely as that would use up our entire budget if the rumoured *cough* 30 million “war chest” is to be considered accurate in this modern day of information overload and misinformation warfare. Unusual to read a condescending and patronising tone in your previous response.

  39. Default

    Everton just about to (or just have) announce record losses. Why anyone thought that their new "billionaire" owner was going to shower them with endless amounts of money to compete with the likes of Man City, is somewhat of a mystery.

  40. #691

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Guildford
    Posts
    1,599

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Everton just about to (or just have) announce record losses. Why anyone thought that their new "billionaire" owner was going to shower them with endless amounts of money to compete with the likes of Man City, is somewhat of a mystery.
    Their new owner will be 'showering them with money' to cover the record losses and keep them going. They might not be in the Man City bracket but their owners are funding their spending as it is in excess of their income.

  41. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    Everton just about to (or just have) announce record losses. Why anyone thought that their new "billionaire" owner was going to shower them with endless amounts of money to compete with the likes of Man City, is somewhat of a mystery.
    He has showered them with money. Hence the losses.

  42. #693

    Default

    Note that Everton are planning to build a new stadium at the Bramley Moore Dock with a price tag of + £500m.

    Undoubtedly this will have an affect on transfer funds

  43. Default

    What are PL sanctions for breaking FFP, or aren't there any?

  44. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    What are PL sanctions for breaking FFP, or aren't there any?
    Isn’t it only when you are in European competition?

  45. #696

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,506

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    What are PL sanctions for breaking FFP, or aren't there any?
    No, not teally

  46. #697

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    22 Acacia Avenue
    Posts
    12,336

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by angelman View Post
    What are PL sanctions for breaking FFP, or aren't there any?
    There were some regulations set around not posting a loss in excess of £105million, and limiting wage budget increases unless there was additional funding from 'new' commercial activities, but these were scrapped in the summer of 2019.

  47. #698

    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Gotham City
    Posts
    29,506

    Default

    Are we signing anyone???

  48. #699

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Batman View Post
    Are we signing anyone???
    Yes

    Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

  49. #700

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Windsor...ish.
    Posts
    12,648

    Default

    Didn't Ralph say he wanted one transfer in early or am I imagining that? For £7.5 million and with Palace sniffing around, I'm surprised Maehle hadn't been put on the first place to Heathrow on NYD!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •