Saints vs Chelsea - Build Up

Lighthouse

Probably something to do with wanting £40+ for a game which is on TV. I think I must be getting old moaning about the price of stuff but that seems a bit daft to me.

...........and the chances of Southampton Nil - again ain't going to enthuse the casual supporter at that price. Bit like a one off World exclusive opportunity to see all last weeks episodes of Eastenders "the Directors Cut!" in an IMAX cinema including an introduction from Nasty Nick for a tenner, can't see he queues for that stretching round the block for that either.

Southampton 2 Chelsea 0 - might well be worthy of the Doof - Doofers at the final whistle though :D

Paul Tierney on the whistle for this one......... can't think of anything off the top of my head where he has done us wrong: unless he was the one who let Man City have another 2 minutes beyond the added time shown allowing them to score a winner up at theirs season before last.

can't see us getting much out of them, they won't struggle too much against whatever pace we have up front as their backline is fairly mobile with tomori in there. their midfield will probably dominate hoj and rom with kante and jorginho in there, upfront there is plenty for us to worry about given our defence and them being full of pace, skill and power. all in all we'll have done an impressive job if we come away with a point.

Feel like there’s as much chance of us turning up and giving them a good game and stealing a win as there is for us to get battered 0-3.

Chelsea are definitely improving, but I still feel over the season they’ll have a few bad results away from home.

That said, I still feel like St Marys is a lovely place for the better teams to rock up, play some nice footy on a lovely pitch with no heavy atmosphere, and shoot towards their fans in the second half. I’m going 1-2 loss.

That last paragraph from Chris sums it all up, it has become far too easy for away teams at SMS, no one does a thing to try and make it even that little bit harder for them; Nice pitch, no real grief, kick towards your fans in the second half, pick up 3 points, thanks very much and hope we see you next season as its so nice down here.

That last paragraph from Chris sums it all up, it has become far too easy for away teams at SMS, no one does a thing to try and make it even that little bit harder for them; Nice pitch, no real grief, kick towards your fans in the second half, pick up 3 points, thanks very much and hope we see you next season as its so nice down here.

We’re only won 15 of our last 61 home leagues games. I wouldn’t like to guess how bad the goals for column would be either.

Yep- a lot of people do say that southampton is a good away day!

Wont ever forget back in like 12/13 when each PL club was given £200k to help their away fans and we used some of that money to improve the away fans concourse at SMS

'very difficult to say when Moussa will play again'

ffs, how long is he out for? anyone ITK have intel?

Standard SFC injury mystery really. This will just roll on and on and on.

No idea why we never put a figure on our players injuries.

Pretty sure we threw away at least 12 results after the 85th minute last season.
Ah but this is experience over youth! Redmond will clear one off the line in the 96th minute, then at the final whistle Hasenhuttl will knee slide in celebration across the pitch, through the Kingsland, through the bike racks outside, across the train lines and straight into Yates's where he will party the night away.

It's all fantasy. (But I have put Boufal in my Fantasy Premier League team which is why I crave a goal from him!)

Still have nightmares about the home game with them under Hughes where we threw away a lead.

Skate nugget Mount is bound to score. We’ll huff and puff but ultimately lack quality at both ends.

I just hope we turn up. The bin dippers got a dodgy pen in the 95th. Spuds got s.h.i.t. on by the seagulls and Villa somehow managed 5. A win tomorrow will get us to 10 points. No Hazard has to be a bonus for us. It all depends on Ralph's selection.

COYS

Edited by hasper57saint
Additional comment

can't believe the negativity from some going into this one. They're a similar level to United, Leicester, West Ham.. winnable game at home.

We lost to Bournemouth at home........just saying.

There is justifiable reason to feel negative. We also lost to a very very poor 10 man Spurs who are currently in disarray. Bad bad defeat.

I will feel positive again when I have something to cheer about at home.

We last won a home game on the 13th April.

can't believe the negativity from some going into this one. They're a similar level to United, Leicester, West Ham.. winnable game at home.

Our record against the top 6 sides is very poor.

Won just 2 of the last 39 against top 6 sides in the league

Right now, I can't honestly see us doing a Brighton or Villa anytime soon (3-0 against Spurs, 5-1 away to Norwich)

We don't have it in us. We just ain't good enough. We can't score goals. We can't defend

So if we had just taken 3 points from 6 games or 2 points from 4 games, you’d feel much more confident?

This is a game that we should get something out of. Personally I think Gunn isn't showing the form he had last year, maybe time for McCarthy to have another go.

Ralph this season is proving that he isn't the genius we were led to believe. The defence selection against Bournemouth, the omitting of a fit Bertrand for Djenepo, the persisting with cart horse Vestergaard, and in most games square pegs in round holes.

We loaned Danso as a first team center back given his appearances for Austria. Yoshida and Bednarek are probably our best pairing, Valery and Bertrand making up a back four.

Up front Ings is scoring, pair him with Adams who works hard. The midfield is a conundrum, far too much sideways and backwards and nowhere near enough positive attacking intent. I can't see beyond Romeu, Hojbjerg as a central pairing but personally I'd play Redmond and Boufal and leave the pedestrian, negative passer and alleged dead ball genius on the bench. In the absence of Djenepo this looks to me as the best we can do.

Something we have failed to do for years is regularly take headed chances in the box. Yoshida especially. Until we head the ball down and give the keeper a lot less chance of saving or heading over we will continue to squander these chances.

Kind of just keen to see Ralph put out a team without any head scratchers. Bertrand LB and Valery RB please. Bednarek and Yoshi CB. Hoj / Rom and JWP in the middle. Redmond and Boufal wide.

Tammy is exactly the kind of striker that will show up all of Vestegaard’s faults.

It’ll prob be slattery left back, Stephens right back and Danso in goal...

very unlikely i know but, a win against chelski could see us go on a run of positive results to get our season properly on track. we haven't had a perfect performance in any of our games this season. but if we were to win against them, we'll have produced a near perfect performance and that be a platform from which to build our season.

oh for goodness sake! that lot are light years away from being a Prem team.No comparison

I think I should remind you that nobody else takes anything Heisenberg says seriously..

Incidentally derry, heading down is exactly what Adams did with his last header. It's a good principle but needs a bit of luck going for you too and he hasn't had that..

I wonder if we will ever see Danso as a defensive midfielder. Partnering Romeu they could provide a decent shield to the defence. (Like a 4-2-3-1 style central pairing.)

Think you might see Danso in that role when Romeu gets suspended.

It cones to something when lack of confidence for this game comes from wondering what weird and not so wonderful team selection Ralph makes, especially in defence.