Pompey Takeover Saga

Fitzhugh Fella

Yeah, but if your ship is sinking you'll grab hold of any bit of floating wood, however flimsy.

What interests me is how they'll react if they lose to Accrington...

They'll be focusing on the Johnstone's Paint Trophy.

It looks to me that they are going to find themselves dropping out of League 2.

The old yo-yoing from league to non-league strategy. :D

Here's what the skates think over on POL

So there we go... writing off the young players already, demanding new signings. They still don't get it :mcinnes:

:lol:

To be fair, not even the nuttiest nutjob predicted that it would only take two games before they started making the demands. I think September was the earliest prediction :D

Credit where it's due, they have proved once again that this particular leopard will never change its spots! What happened to the 'I'm just glad we have a team to support' brigade? I'm sure Corpse was a staunch member of that team for a while...

Same old hype - battling pompey give a good account of themselves against top opposition....err, it was Bournemouth, reserves, and the BBC said that the boys in blue barely created anything.

The city is shrouded in spin.

If we could be slightly critical of the board for a moment - the lack of transparency in general is one thing, but assuring a rabid fanbase that the wagebill is really low, is odd, and a bit dim.

Of course they're going to bay for more players, they won't accept that ALL of that money is needed elsewhere.

They've been brought up on a diet of insolvency and a culture of writing off debt, telling them that there's money about is like asking Avram to pick up a lady in a lorry park late at night, and expecting him to offer nothing more than a lift.

He'd take her straight up the Junction 2 slip road, before dropping her safely home.

I see no U-turns yet.

New owners, same strategy.

I think in this case they were referring to the train approaching Southampton. The fact all of them chose to stay on it and they were then haring away from Southampton having done nothing whatsoever was probably the fault of the FA, or the Fit and Proper Person Test, or HMRC, or Chainrai, or the Net High Worth Owners (they're next) or Terry Venables, or Tal Ben Haim or Tesco, or Dave Kitson or possibly that woman in the mobility scooter, or those Scammah Kants, but it definitely wasn't anything that they "done".

They did get off and changed trains - and then stood on the platform for at least as long as they were in earshot whilst I walked home, singing more pointless songs to no one in particular... most of em were incredibly witty and funny* teenagers, so the songs were indeed highly original and cutting*.

* - They weren't.

And how much is due to Robinson this month?

Not sure what 'payment plan' was put in place, but I think the PDT has until the end of August 2014 to settle up with Robinson, with the final payments to football creditors to be made at some point during the 2016/2017 season..

From POL

To so many of these mediocre players/fading stars we really are going to be their cup final. With no disrespect to the likes of Accrington, a win there is a win in front of maybe 1,500 people. At FP there's likely to be at least ten times that and to many of these players this as big as it is likely to get. Remember that the average player ain't too bright, so to them they can wind up the Pompey support after the event, conveniently forgetting that in the words of Vera Lynn, we'll meet again.

:mcinnes:

"We'll meet again".

You probably won't if you drop out of the Football League, or if the opposition gets one of the 4 promotion places - so is this Skate being optimistic in thinking they're staying up, or pessimistic compared to the rest of them who think they're bolted on for promotion ?

Just think, if they didn't have such sooper support, other teams' players wouldn't be getting so up for playing them. Or it could be that their team is just cack and will lose to anyone ?

I'm sure most L2 fans are looking forward to the trip to Fratton, purely because they were in the Prem 4 years ago and in theory that looks like an impressive scalp for their poky L2 teams, plus the way they've been playing for the last 2 seasons and the general chaos, it should be an easy 3 points.

They surely can't stay this bad for long though, even with all the restrictions and the bills to pay they SHOULD have a massive advantage over all these tiddlers, right ? They're a mid-table Championship side at heart.

I actually agree with the skate... if I were a player in League 2, I would absolutely love the thought of going to FP to bring home 3 points in front of 15,000 delusional home fans, just to help ram home the reality of where they now find themselves. It would be like a Cup Final.

Oh, was that not quite what he meant?

I actually agree with the skate... if I were a player in League 2, I would absolutely love the thought of going to FP to bring home 3 points in front of 15,000 delusional home fans, just to help ram home the reality of where they now find themselves. It would be like a Cup Final.

Oh, was that not quite what he meant?

I don't think most players even know who they're playing against next until the day before, and even then only because they get told what they're supposed to do. I honestly don't think any of them are remotely bothered about playing in marginally bigger grounds - there's plenty of chances for L2 players to play against teams in top half L1 sized grounds, why would they even care ?

Newport's players played in a ground 50% larger just last night and they've only played one FL match, plus they've been to Wembley twice in two seasons, Fratton is hardly going to be a big deal for them. Plus Bradford only just got promoted out of L2 with a similar sized ground for everyone else to get their fill of echoey carbunkles.

Don't underestimate the power of a packed park.

Oxford looks pretty intimidated when they visited the fortress of fat - many of their players froze in the cauldron of noise and looked like rabbits caught in headlights.

The famous blue army 12th man really makes a difference, and it was mainly that world-renowned passionate home support that helped them avoid relegation last season.

To be fair, I can see why the players struggled last weekend. It can't be easy trying to concentrate on your game when you suspect the ground is being evacuated due to a bomb scare. I'd want to be joining everyone else and heading for the exits too.

Your fans do need to get real though or you will be going to the Blue Square.

The away fans spent more time chanting rubbish at the Cherries fans than actually supporting their team.

Be positive but realistic about what your club actually is now. You should be able to enjoy league 2 - but don't sing 'up the football league we go!' until you are actually doing it!

At the moment you just sound like demented fools.

At the moment?

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/sport/po...-cup-1-5359782

Here's one to keep you going for the time being ....... !!

saintspompey-1.jpg

i've just noticed that there seems to be a Skate a little brighter than most of them, who knows the score. There he is, just to the left of BT's head, acknowledging that we have scored two goals.

About as safe as the schools and local charity money was a couple of years ago.

Don't be so silly.

ALL of the money for local schools and charities was paid back in FULL! There was a tremendous effort from local people[sic] and businesses that raised the money from their own hard earned wages[sic].

There is of course absolutely no factual evidence for this, but some random on the snooze website stated this as fact once and so the pompey myth was born.

Quote "Remember that the average player ain't too bright, so to them they can wind up the Pompey support after the event,

conveniently forgetting that in the words of Vera Lynn, we'll meet again."

As it alleged that players are not too bright might some then construe this to be a threat of physical violence

if said supporters actually came across said player in a public place in the future ?

Big article on my times for tablet today. Mostly favourable them, but one interesting snippet.

It says charities to be repaid out of next months parachute payments, "correcting one of the shameful episodes". I thought the fans had rallied round and done that already, or was that another myth.

Big article on my times for tablet today. Mostly favourable them, but one interesting snippet.

It says charities to be repaid out of next months parachute payments, "correcting one of the shameful episodes". I thought the fans had rallied round and done that already, or was that another myth.

Next month? As in September?

The parachute payments, ever since this saga began, have always been in February and August. Still it wouldn't be the first time the skates have promised to pay back a debt from money they know doesn't exist.

A summary of the article was;

Loads of historic important stuff skipped and binned by previous regimes, rescued by staff. Old photos,contracts, some antique boat thing from 1948. Lots of praise for hall and others. All hnw individuals supporters bar one. One supplier would rather burn goods on bonfire than ever supply to them again. Horrific overspends on mobile phones etc, shop a shambles. Plus loads of sucking up to PST, supporters and players (all turned up at some fans day or some ********.

Headline was "Portsmouth rescue heritage from bin."

Edited by Lord Duckhunter

48: Pompey defeated by Julius Caesar at the Battle of Pharsalus

During the Roman Civil War of 49–45 BC, Julius Caesar's troops on this day in 48 decisively defeated the army of Pompey at the Battle of Pharsalus, causing Pompey to flee to Egypt, where he was subsequently murdered.

Is this where the Pikeys from Pompey originally descended from the Gypo's of Eygpt?

Portsmouth FC News@PompeyNewsOnly1h

Beattie: Bring on the flak - James Beattie insisted he’ll be pleased to take stick from Pompey fans tomorrow... http://ow.ly/2z0PB9

702066324.jpg

James Beattie insisted he’ll be pleased to take stick from Pompey fans tomorrow.

And the Accrington Stanley boss vowed the ‘whole of Southampton’ is willing his team to turn over Guy Whittingham’s side in the Sky-televised clash.

Beattie is expecting to run a gauntlet of hate from travelling fans at the Crown Ground because of his connections with the Blues’ deadly rivals.

But he told Pompey, remembering those connections is ‘their problem’.

Beattie is now cutting his managerial teeth at Stanley and feels flak in his direction from the away contingent will only deflect from them aiming at his players.

He said: ‘If they sing and chant at me all game I will be happy with that because they won’t be having a go at the players and hopefully that will let them get on with the job of trying to get three points.

‘Whatever abuse they throw at me, it happened a long time ago.

‘If they want to dwell on it that’s their problem, not mine.

‘They will only give me stick and they will only remember me because of what I did in a Southampton shirt, which is history. It’s gone.

‘They are good memories for Southampton fans but some unfortunate ones for Portsmouth fans.

‘There’s a lot of support for me coming from the west of Portsmouth.

‘I’ve had a few messages and I know the whole of Southampton will be behind me.

‘But that’s just good fun off the pitch.

‘When we are down to business it’s us against them and I’m going to back my lads all day long.’

Stanley go into tomorrow’s game buoyed by shocking Middlesbrough in the Capital One Cup this week.

That buried the downer of being on the end of a 4-1 loss at Newport County on Saturday.

But Beattie has no doubt the game with Pompey is bigger than the cup clash.

He said: ‘To the club it is and to myself it is an even bigger game than Middlesbrough, of course.

‘But the more I can keep that away from the players and make them understand it’s just another game, a league game to get our first points of the season on the board, the better I think.

‘The lads reacted in a magnificent way to Saturday.

‘It’s all about how we prepare now.

‘I said to the lads after the game on Saturday “be disappointed, but you’ve got to pick yourselves up for Tuesday”.

‘That’s easier said than done but this is totally the opposite – this is flipping it on its head and getting them down from that cloud they are on.

‘They’ve had their bit of enjoyment but we’ve got more business to attend to and the ultimate celebration is towards the end of the season when we are putting a run together.

‘They will have enjoyed themselves on Tuesday night and Wednesday with their families but now it’s down to business.’

Edited by trousers